Stick a fork in it
(04-14-2017, 05:41 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 05:20 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 04:47 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 12:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-13-2017, 08:04 PM)Valuesize Wrote: So I joined. Every time you do ANYTHING it posts it?  Unsure Why would anyone want to know I updated my profile picture? Or cover photo?  Dry

How do I search those groups you are in?

I don't know why but only people you chose as your friends will see when you update your profile picture.

Well if someone gives me the full name of the WARS group I might try and join again. I may need to wait until I move and get a new IP address though. Can you change those without moving? Laughing

I get a new IP address every time I cycle power on my modem. I doubt that you have a perminate IP address. That cost extra.

google "what is my IP"
Write down the number it gives you and turn your modem off and then back on after it reconnects, check again.

Yes it changed. Thanks.

So did you get booted for using a fake name or were you joking? Anyway WARS is an offshoot Of Jackson County scanner group. so you can find it through that this site...http://jacksoncountyscanner.com/
(04-13-2017, 08:51 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(04-13-2017, 06:51 AM)GPnative Wrote: [Image: gfa30_image09.jpg]

Goodbye, indeed!
Some history may be instructive. 
This is an outgrowth of a forum originally on the Medford Mail Tribune Web site as a kind of "letter to the editors" function. 
And, as we know, that went to hell because it evolved into simple ranting and raving from people who had little, if any, point of view but just wanted to prove they were still alive and could verify it by seeing their comments in print. 
After several fits and starts we evolved to this, the Rogue Valley Forum, local, a good, if not perfect, place for local folks to share information and casual comments confident we were interacting with "neighbors" who share some common interests and local issues. 

From there is dissolved into far too many "fuck you" comments and other hostilities prompted mainly by partisan political stances, but also personal slings and arrows from stupid personality differences. 

Topics, or "threads" seldom retained continuity, we neglected any and all structure that might have made discussion meaningful and continuing, and all too often divergent opinions resulted in hostile and vulgar rants. 

Outdated? Maybe. But I have a Facebook account and sometimes log in to have a look. I see content very different from the more complete discussions we have had here in our "best of times". 

Our membership has fallen away for a host of reasons no doubt, and FB may be part of the reason. But more than any other factor has been our conduct and all too often irrational responses to the Topics posted here. That drove away many of the members who once posted here. 

And so, TV Guy is right. Stick a fork it in. Just don't blame the format. 

POGO was right.

Nope. Facebook. Remember this: People on the forum were posting from their laptops or desktops. That is not the case now. Most people are using their phones. They post from wherever they are.  Usually not just sitting in front of their 'puter for "forum time" along with web surfing. It's a different world. I don't FB from my phone. I only do this social media thing on a dedicated time. But that's not the norm.
It's interesting that these "death of the forum" threads tend to run on so much. It always happens.
(04-14-2017, 10:24 PM)Cuzz Wrote: It's interesting that these "death of the forum" threads tend to run on so much. It always happens.

Would you prefer complete forum silence?
(04-15-2017, 08:46 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 10:24 PM)Cuzz Wrote: It's interesting that these "death of the forum" threads tend to run on so much. It always happens.

Would you prefer complete forum silence?

No, it was just an observation.
It's spring time, everybody is out setting up for next years grow.
(04-14-2017, 09:09 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Goodbye, indeed!
This is an outgrowth of a forum originally on the Medford Mail Tribune Web site as a kind of "letter to the editors" function. 
And, as we know, that went to hell because it evolved into simple ranting and raving from people who had little, if any, point of view but just wanted to prove they were still alive and could verify it by seeing their comments in print. 
After several fits and starts we evolved to this, the Rogue Valley Forum, local, a good, if not perfect, place for local folks to share information and casual comments confident we were interacting with "neighbors" who share some common interests and local issues. 

From there is dissolved into far too many "fuck you" comments and other hostilities prompted mainly by partisan political stances, but also personal slings and arrows from stupid personality differences. 

Topics, or "threads" seldom retained continuity, we neglected any and all structure that might have made discussion meaningful and continuing, and all too often divergent opinions resulted in hostile and vulgar rants. 

Outdated? Maybe. But I have a Facebook account and sometimes log in to have a look. I see content very different from the more complete discussions we have had here in our "best of times". 

Our membership has fallen away for a host of reasons no doubt, and FB may be part of the reason. But more than any other factor has been our conduct and all too often irrational responses to the Topics posted here. That drove away many of the members who once posted here. 

POGO was right.

Nope. Facebook. Remember this: People on the forum were posting from their laptops or desktops. That is not the case now. Most people are using their phones. They post from wherever they are.  Usually not just sitting in front of their 'puter for "forum time" along with web surfing. It's a different world. I don't FB from my phone. I only do this social media thing on a dedicated time. But that's not the norm.

You made a good point. I think one can post here from a phone but I think FB makes doing that a lot easier. On my phone all I have to do is click on the FB app and boom it's right there. I'm think FB was built around the idea of using a phone.  
The only thing I used to do on my phone when I'm stuck waiting for an appointment was peruse Craigslist and that doesn't take much time.
Now I admit sometimes I'll check out FB on my phone when I'm at home but out in my shop.
I've never even bothered to try posting here from my phone. I think Scrappers always has quite a bit.
(04-15-2017, 09:22 AM)chuck white Wrote: It's spring time, everybody is out setting up for next years grow.

Other than you and me and minus Cletus for a while who would that be?
(04-15-2017, 11:31 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-15-2017, 09:22 AM)chuck white Wrote: It's spring time, everybody is out setting up for next years grow.

Other than you and me and minus Cletus for a while who would that be?

Maybe they went for a walk, or mowed the lawn, or planted some petunias, or.... or....

The weather is warming and drying, things to do and places to go. That sort of thing. I think it happened last year too.
(04-15-2017, 11:30 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 09:09 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Goodbye, indeed!

POGO was right.

You made a good point. I think one can post here from a phone but I think FB makes doing that a lot easier. On my phone all I have to do is click on the FB app and boom it's right there. I'm think FB was built around the idea of using a phone.  
The only thing I used to do on my phone when I'm stuck waiting for an appointment was peruse Craigslist and that doesn't take much time.
Now I admit sometimes I'll check out FB on my phone when I'm at home but out in my shop.
I've never even bothered to try posting here from my phone. I think Scrappers always has quite a bit.

Some do indeed. I remember when it was a big deal when someone at a forum gathering posted about from their blackberry. But for the most part, it isn't something that people do regularly from their phones.
(04-14-2017, 06:49 PM)tvguy Wrote: So did you get booted for using a fake name or were you joking? Anyway WARS is an offshoot Of Jackson County scanner group. so you can find it through that this site...http://jacksoncountyscanner.com/

Sorry for the late reply. I thought I did from my phone, but I must have closed the window without doing so.

I did indeed get booted. I chose a new name and I'm good to go. Haven't tried posting yet though.....
(04-14-2017, 06:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 05:41 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 05:20 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 04:47 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 12:19 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't know why but only people you chose as your friends will see when you update your profile picture.

Well if someone gives me the full name of the WARS group I might try and join again. I may need to wait until I move and get a new IP address though. Can you change those without moving? Laughing

I get a new IP address every time I cycle power on my modem. I doubt that you have a perminate IP address. That cost extra.

google "what is my IP"
Write down the number it gives you and turn your modem off and then back on after it reconnects, check again.

Yes it changed. Thanks.

So did you get booted for using a fake name or were you joking? Anyway WARS is an offshoot Of Jackson County scanner group. so you can find it through that this site...http://jacksoncountyscanner.com/

I don't think, for them, it's about IP address.  They have a group of Admins, who, by the way, do not act as moderators. They do what they like, without apology or explanation.  But I think for an IP change, they would have to have some suspicion about it to want to delete the account.  It's not like the forum by any means of the word.
Quote:I've never even bothered to try posting here from my phone. I think Scrappers always has quite a bit.

I do... I use the Tapatalk app. It's just as easy as clicking the Facebook app.  Easy Peasy!

Posted from my damn phone using Tapatalk
(04-16-2017, 09:16 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
Quote:I've never even bothered to try posting here from my phone. I think Scrappers always has quite a bit.

I do... I use the Tapatalk app. It's just as easy as clicking the Facebook app.  Easy Peasy!

I don't FB from my phone. I  use my phone as a calendar/navigator telephone.  Oh, and geocaching. I don't email, internet, FB, or forum from my phone.
(04-16-2017, 01:29 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I don't FB from my phone. I  use my phone as a calendar/navigator telephone.  Oh, and geocaching. I don't email, internet, FB, or forum from my phone.

Do you use it for making and receiving phone calls? Razz
(04-16-2017, 02:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-16-2017, 01:29 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Do you use it for making and receiving phone calls? Razz

Yeah, that was included in the description: Telephone. Smiling
I just went to FB for the first time today. They suspended my account and wanted me to upload a photo of myself. After they investigate, they'll delete the photo and open my account or not.  Laughing What a bunch of hooey.  Dry
(04-16-2017, 09:10 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I just went to FB for the first time today. They suspended my account and wanted me to upload a photo of myself. After they investigate, they'll delete the photo and open my account or not.  Laughing What a bunch of hooey.  Dry

Weird. I have never had that happen.  Well, they are looking for fake accounts.
(04-16-2017, 09:10 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I just went to FB for the first time today. They suspended my account and wanted me to upload a photo of myself. After they investigate, they'll delete the photo and open my account or not.  Laughing What a bunch of hooey.  Dry

Upload a pic of you flipping the bird.
(04-17-2017, 07:01 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Upload a pic of you flipping the bird.

I didn't have one handy so I went the other way, which was a pic with my daughter on my lap when she was two.