Stick a fork in it
Yeah. This forum.
Remember when someone would post a local crime news story like the one GPNaive  Razz  posted about the scumbag Hull murderer and some of the relatives or girlfriend would join to justify the things they did? We used to get weeks of entertainment from some of those types.  Laughing  I wonder why they stopped? Is the site too insignificant for Google to show as a result? 

I still say opening ALL the threads would help because other forums I notice a lot of old threads get resurrected after a year or two or five. How hard can it be to change the setting from its current state?
(04-12-2017, 08:12 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Remember when someone would post a local crime news story like the one GPNaive  Razz  posted about the scumbag Hull murderer and some of the relatives or girlfriend would join to justify the things they did? We used to get weeks of entertainment from some of those types.  Laughing  I wonder why they stopped? Is the site too insignificant for Google to show as a result? 

It's all on Facebook now, Why in the hell would anyone come here when the vast majority of people commenting on things like that are on FB?
Yes this site is insignificant, Exactly
in·sig·nif·i·cant

ˌinsiɡˈnifəkənt/
adjective
adjective: insignificant
too small or unimportant to be worth consideration.

I still say opening ALL the threads would help because other forums I notice a lot of old threads get resurrected after a year or two or five. How hard can it be to change the setting from its current state?
 That's not going to help and if if does it's too little too late.

This forum and ones like it are antiquated. Hell I made an image on Photobucket .. and RVF with a fork sticking in it.
Trying to post it here, going through an image host was a pain in the ass and I gave up.
 But on Facebook you don't even have to do any or that. Like I said this from is antiquated.

LOL there's no better word  an·ti·quat·ed
ˈan(t)əˌkwādəd/
adjective
adjective: antiquated
old-fashioned or outdated

I check in to this forum in the mornings and more than often realize it was a waste of time. I check Craigslist and ebay, my email and here.

It's been nice but its over. The only kind thing to do is pull the plug.
Et tu Brute??

Big Grin
[Image: gfa30_image09.jpg]
You jokeo types would love Josephine County neighborhood chat. If you can imagine a thousand OL's and tornadoes.
(04-13-2017, 08:38 AM)bbqboy Wrote: You jokeo types would love Josephine County neighborhood chat. If you can imagine a thousand OL's and tornadoes.

Can you join with a fictitious name?
(04-13-2017, 06:51 AM)GPnative Wrote: [Image: gfa30_image09.jpg]

Goodbye, indeed!
Some history may be instructive. 
This is an outgrowth of a forum originally on the Medford Mail Tribune Web site as a kind of "letter to the editors" function. 
And, as we know, that went to hell because it evolved into simple ranting and raving from people who had little, if any, point of view but just wanted to prove they were still alive and could verify it by seeing their comments in print. 
After several fits and starts we evolved to this, the Rogue Valley Forum, local, a good, if not perfect, place for local folks to share information and casual comments confident we were interacting with "neighbors" who share some common interests and local issues. 

From there is dissolved into far too many "fuck you" comments and other hostilities prompted mainly by partisan political stances, but also personal slings and arrows from stupid personality differences. 

Topics, or "threads" seldom retained continuity, we neglected any and all structure that might have made discussion meaningful and continuing, and all too often divergent opinions resulted in hostile and vulgar rants. 

Outdated? Maybe. But I have a Facebook account and sometimes log in to have a look. I see content very different from the more complete discussions we have had here in our "best of times". 

Our membership has fallen away for a host of reasons no doubt, and FB may be part of the reason. But more than any other factor has been our conduct and all too often irrational responses to the Topics posted here. That drove away many of the members who once posted here. 

And so, TV Guy is right. Stick a fork it in. Just don't blame the format. 

POGO was right.
(04-13-2017, 08:51 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(04-13-2017, 06:51 AM)GPnative Wrote: [Image: gfa30_image09.jpg]

Goodbye, indeed!
Some history may be instructive. 
This is an outgrowth of a forum originally on the Medford Mail Tribune Web site as a kind of "letter to the editors" function. 
And, as we know, that went to hell because it evolved into simple ranting and raving from people who had little, if any, point of view but just wanted to prove they were still alive and could verify it by seeing their comments in print. 
After several fits and starts we evolved to this, the Rogue Valley Forum, local, a good, if not perfect, place for local folks to share information and casual comments confident we were interacting with "neighbors" who share some common interests and local issues. 

From there is dissolved into far too many "fuck you" comments and other hostilities prompted mainly by partisan political stances, but also personal slings and arrows from stupid personality differences. 

Topics, or "threads" seldom retained continuity, we neglected any and all structure that might have made discussion meaningful and continuing, and all too often divergent opinions resulted in hostile and vulgar rants. 

Outdated? Maybe. But I have a Facebook account and sometimes log in to have a look. I see content very different from the more complete discussions we have had here in our "best of times". 

Our membership has fallen away for a host of reasons no doubt, and FB may be part of the reason. But more than any other factor has been our conduct and all too often irrational responses to the Topics posted here. That drove away many of the members who once posted here. 

And so, TV Guy is right. Stick a fork it in. Just don't blame the format. 

POGO was right.

Facebook may be part of the reason? What part of our conduct is not any different than Facebook are you missing?  There is ZERO difference.
So you can continue to blame the slow death of this forum on our conduct. Our neglecting structure. our irrational responses. And all the time thinking I TOLD YOU SO! or I warned you.
But it's not entirely true. It seems like you conveniently forget that it's ALWAYS been the same. Even you admit that's why the MMT cut us loose! and that was what? 12 years ago???
BTW your Buddy that you have mentioned you miss. Imaham. He's on the facebook group WARS. And Wars is every bit if not more brutal than this forum.
This Forum started dying the minute the MMT cut loose of it because that was what fed this group. And IMO their reasoning wasn't simply because people ranted and raved and people who had little, if any, point of view.
IMO It was the possibility of them being sued. IMO they should have kept this forum because they are dying just like us. It couldn't hurt.
Quote:Facebook may be part of the reason? What part of our conduct is not any different than Facebook are you missing?  There is ZERO difference.
So you can continue to blame the slow death of this forum on our conduct. Our neglecting structure. our irrational responses. And all the time thinking I TOLD YOU SO! or I warned you.
But it's not entirely true. It seems like you conveniently forget that it's ALWAYS been the same. Even you admit that's why the MMT cut us loose! and that was what? 12 years ago???
BTW your Buddy that you have mentioned you miss. Imaham. He's on the facebook group WARS. And Wars is every bit if not more brutal than this forum.
This Forum started dying the minute the MMT cut loose of it because that was what fed this group. And IMO their reasoning wasn't simply because people ranted and raved and people who had little, if any, point of view.
IMO It was the possibility of them being sued. IMO they should have kept this forum because they are dying just like us. It couldn't hurt.

I agree about Facebook. Perhaps Wonky just checks his feed... full of niceties from family and friends.  But if you get involved in most any of the Facebook groups (such as WARS!) you find out fast that it is the same climate as RVF... If not worse. Even my local "roads and weather reports" group has the few asshats that try to turn everything into a right-wing political shit show... just talking about the weather and road closures! It's crazy!

Posted from my damn phone using Tapatalk
I am a member on a few other niche forums that are alive and well. They all have a general topics area also that stays busy and for the most part respectful because people are not their to duke it out and argue, they are there to discuss the common interests. The fact it is niche groups brings in people searching or interested in that specific topic, so it always has newbies popping in and out with questions. Or the regulars posting new and related news, etc.
The deal here is that it is a just general topics forum, mostly politics, and people are now using other forms of social media to be active in such dialog, whether its politics or even local info folks go with social media. If this was a niche forum specifically about growing weed in the PacNW, I bet it would be crazy busy.
(04-13-2017, 11:28 AM)GPnative Wrote: I am a member on a few other niche forums that are alive and well. They all have a general topics area also that stays busy and for the most part respectful because people are not their to duke it out and argue, they are their to discuss the common interests. The fact it is niche groups brings in people searching or interested in that specific topic, so it always has newbies popping in and out with questions. Or the regulars posting new and related news, etc.
The deal here is that it is a just general topics forum, mostly politics, and people are now using other forms of social media to be active in such dialog, whether its politics or even local info folks go with social media.  If this was a niche forum specifically about growing weed in the PacNW, I bet it would be crazy busy.

Yeah, show me a facebook site that discusses mostly politics like this one that is any different than here and I'll eat my hat.
(04-13-2017, 11:28 AM)GPnative Wrote: I am a member on a few other niche forums that are alive and well. They all have a general topics area also that stays busy and for the most part respectful because people are not their to duke it out and argue, they are their to discuss the common interests. The fact it is niche groups brings in people searching or interested in that specific topic, so it always has newbies popping in and out with questions. Or the regulars posting new and related news, etc.
The deal here is that it is a just general topics forum, mostly politics, and people are now using other forms of social media to be active in such dialog, whether its politics or even local info folks go with social media.  If this was a niche forum specifically about growing weed in the PacNW, I bet it would be crazy busy.

If this was a niche forum specifically about growing weed in the PacNW, I bet it would be crazy busy.

One would think with all the talk here about pot and different strains and photos that at least a few people would come here to make a comment.
It seems like google would lead them here. But I can't say I remember that happening even once.
(04-13-2017, 11:44 AM)tvguy Wrote:

If this was a niche forum specifically about growing weed in the PacNW, I bet it would be crazy busy.

One would think with all the talk here about pot and different strains and photos that at least a few people would come here to make a comment.
It seems like google would lead them here. But I can't say I remember that happening even once.

Google probably censors the results. Wink
Or the algorithm locks in on more active websites first so this forum would be found on page 115 of results. Google wants ad revenue, so the preference is always geared towards sites with more traffic.
For an experiment to drive up traffic we need admin to change the forum name to "marijuana valley forum"
The SO pot groups on FB
Have dinners concerts, all kinds of interaction. But they're private or secret; you can't see them unless you're in the group.
And VS, of course you can sign up to FB with a fake or abridged or business name.
Most don't because the idea is to connect with friends, not make enemies.
(04-13-2017, 08:40 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(04-13-2017, 08:38 AM)bbqboy Wrote: You jokeo types would love Josephine County neighborhood chat. If you can imagine a thousand OL's and tornadoes.

Can you join with a fictitious name?

I have two facebook accounts, none of them have my name attached to them.
(04-13-2017, 11:52 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(04-13-2017, 11:44 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Google probably censors the results. Wink
Or the algorithm locks in on more active websites first so this forum would be found on page 115 of results. Google wants ad revenue, so the preference is always geared towards sites with more traffic.

There ya go. I'm sure you are right.
(04-13-2017, 11:55 AM)GPnative Wrote: For an experiment to drive up traffic we need admin to change the forum name to "marijuana valley forum"

And replace the word "the" with the word marijuana in every sentence.
(04-13-2017, 12:11 PM)bbqboy Wrote: The SO pot groups on FB
Have dinners concerts, all kinds of interaction. But they're private or secret; you can't see them unless you're in the group.
And VS, of course you can sign up to FB with a fake or abridged or business name.
Most don't because the idea is to connect with friends, not make enemies.

But you are supposed to use your real name right? I know on the local groups if you get caught using a fake name they will kick you out.