The Man we elected.
Words matter, especially when spoken by persons of leadership. 

A look at our presidents lack of vocabulary, eloquence, and attention span. 

*************************************************************************
One of the more pernicious and insidious effects of the Donald Trump regime may well be the damage he does to language itself.
Trumpian language is a thing unto itself: some manner of sophistry peppered with superlatives. It is a way of speech that defies the Reed-Kellogg sentence diagram. It is a jumble of incomplete thoughts stitched together with arrogance and ignorance.
America is suffering under the tyranny of gibberish spouted by the lord of his faithful 46 percent.
As researchers at Carnegie Mellon pointed out last spring, presidential candidates in general use “words and grammar typical of students in grades 6-8, though Donald Trump tends to lag behind the others.” Indeed, among the presidents in the university’s analysis, Trump’s vocabulary usage was the lowest and his grammatical usage was only better than one president: George W. Bush.
Trump’s employment of reduced rhetoric is not without precedent and is in fact a well-documented tool of history’s strongmen.

As New York Times C.E.O. Mark Thompson noted about one of Trump’s speeches in his 2016 book, “Enough Said: What’s Gone Wrong with the Language of Politics?”: “The super-short sentences emphasize certainty and determination, build up layer upon layer, like bricks in a wall themselves, toward a conclusion and an emotional climax. It’s a style that students of rhetoric call parataxis. This is the way generals and dictators have always spoken to distinguish themselves from the caviling civilians they mean to sweep aside.”
Thompson also notes that “Trump’s appeal as a presidential candidate depends significantly on the belief that he is a truth-teller who will have nothing to do with the conventional language of politics,” warning that:
“We shouldn’t confuse anti-rhetorical ‘truth telling’ with actually telling the truth. One of the advantages of this positioning is that once listeners are convinced that you’re not trying to deceive them in the manner of a regular politician, they may switch off the critical faculties they usually apply to political speech and forgive you any amount of exaggeration, contradiction, or offensiveness. And if establishment rivals or the media criticize you, your supporters may dismiss that as spin.”
Here is the great danger: Many people expect a political lie to sound slick, to be delivered by intellectual elites spouting $5 words. A clumsy, folksy lie delivered by a shyster using broken English reads as truth.

It is an upside-down world in which easy lies sound more true than hard facts.
But this is what comes from a man who is more watcher than reader, a man more driven by the limelight than by literature.
In January, Vanity Fairattempted to answer the question: “Exactly How Much TV Does Donald Trump Watch in a Day?” They did so by producing this utterly frightening roundup:
“Early on in the campaign, Trump told Chuck Todd on “Meet the Press” that he gets military advice from TV pundits. He couldn’t get through a 50-minute Washington Post interview without repeatedly looking at the TV and commenting about what was on it. In November, during the transition, The Post noted that, based on his biography, ‘He watches enormous amounts of television all through the night.’ And just this week, a source told Politico that Trump’s aides are being forced to try and curb some of his ‘worst impulses’ — including TV-watching, apparently: ‘He gets bored and likes to watch TV … so it is important to minimize that.’”
A piece in The New York Times in the first week of Trump’s presidency noted: “Still, Mr. Trump, who does not read books, is able to end his evenings with plenty of television.”
Trump has the intellectual depth of a coat of paint.
At no time is this more devastatingly obvious than when he grants interviews to print reporters, when he is not protected by the comfort of a script and is not animated by the dazzling glare of television lights. In these moments, all he has is language, and his absolute ineptitude and possibly even lack of comprehension is enormously obvious.
In the last month, Trump has given interviews to print reporters at The Times, The Associated PressReuters and The Wall Street Journal. Read together, the transcripts paint a terrifying portrait of a man who is simultaneously unintelligible in his delivery, self-assured in his ignorance and consciously bathing in his narcissism.
In Trump world, facts don’t matter, truth doesn’t matter, language doesn’t matter. Passionate performance is the only ideal. A lie forcefully told and often repeated is better than truth — it is accepted as an act of faith, which is better than a point of fact.
360COMMENTS
This is one of the most heinous acts of this man: the mugging of the meaning, the disassembling of rhetoric until certainty is stripped away from truth like flesh from a carcass.
Degradation of the language is one of Trump’s most grievous sins.
We already covered the fact that he can't read much better than a forth grader. (an average forth grader)
(05-01-2017, 12:04 PM)chuck white Wrote: We already covered the fact that he can't read much better than a forth grader. (an average forth grader)

fourth not "forth" LOL . You would have know that if you made it all the way to the ninth grade like me. Razz

But yeah Wonk. His ability to speak and sound educated is totally lacking. People like that fact.
(05-01-2017, 01:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-01-2017, 12:04 PM)chuck white Wrote: We already covered the fact that he can't read much better than a forth grader. (an average forth grader)

fourth not "forth" LOL . You would have know that if you made it all the way to the ninth grade like me. Razz

But yeah Wonk. His ability to speak and sound educated is totally lacking. People like that fact.

Yeah, and that's sad! I mean, I'm about as uneducated as a country boy can be but even I think he sounds like a two-bit hustler without any polish. Still, the man has been elected our president, and I honor the office. I feel okay about making negative remarks but would never post vulgar comments about him. 

That said, my gut feeling is the man will never complete his full first term. I think there is activity in his dealings with other countries that will make him leave office. Again...only a gut feeling based on rumors that have not been proven. 

And then Mr. Pence? At least he can "sound presidential".
(05-01-2017, 03:22 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Yeah, and that's sad! I mean, I'm about as uneducated as a country boy can be but even I think he sounds like a two-bit hustler without any polish. Still, the man has been elected our president, and I honor the office. I feel okay about making negative remarks but would never post vulgar comments about him. 

That said, my gut feeling is the man will never complete his full first term. I think there is activity in his dealings with other countries that will make him leave office. Again...only a gut feeling based on rumors that have not been proven. 

He sounds like a sniveling brown noser to me. Less dangerous by half, so therefore preferred.
(05-01-2017, 03:33 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(05-01-2017, 03:22 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Yeah, and that's sad! I mean, I'm about as uneducated as a country boy can be but even I think he sounds like a two-bit hustler without any polish. Still, the man has been elected our president, and I honor the office. I feel okay about making negative remarks but would never post vulgar comments about him. 

He sounds like a sniveling brown noser to me. Less dangerous by half, so therefore preferred.

Well, at least he served as a governor of a state, graduated law school, and doesn't have an orange colored comb-over.  Laughing

LOL, May the fourth be with you. (that is like three days from now)
(05-01-2017, 05:16 PM)chuck white Wrote:

LOL, May the fourth be with you. (that is like three days from now)

May the fourth be with you

And may your front teeth be back with you soon Laughing

...and back to "The Man We Elected". 

Have a look at this: 

"How Trump Could Get Fired" 

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/0...-get-fired