Observing The Sabbath
One of the Ten Commandments (?) is "Remember the Sabbath to keep it Holy". 

Well...

Clete and I (and others, I suspect) cling to our early upbringing and so retain the early training and do our best to keep the sabbath "holy", or at least not a work day. We have chose to engage the teaching of the late Flip Wilson's "Church of the What's Happing Now". 

Since the good Christians can't seem to agree on anything, much less what day the sabbath is, we hold dear both Saturday and Sunday. That is, we don't work. Of course we don't work any other day of the week either but that's neither here nor there.  Wink

We most often start Saturday morning with a couple of beers and some beef jerky (holy meat) and continue both days in observance. The key is to drink just enough to keep a good glow but not enough to render us unable to "observe" the holy days. Most important is not to do ANY kind of labor, but that's not a real problem because we long ago learned the technique of procrastination. 

Whatever: Just wanted to wish you a happy and meaningful sabbath. Flip Wilson has "passed" but his teaching live on. Grab a beer, some beef jerky, sit out on the front porch and look around you aware of the blessings evolution has brought. 

Happy Sabbath. Both days.  Smiling
Funny, that you laid that on the Christians. This is from old testament, so look to the Jews.

Quote:According to halakha (Jewish religious law), Shabbat is observed from a few minutes before sunset on Friday evening until the appearance of three stars in the sky on Saturday night. Shabbat is ushered in by lighting candles and reciting a blessing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat
They were nothing after Ozzy left.
(05-28-2017, 08:12 AM)chuck white Wrote: Funny, that you laid that on the Christians. This is from old testament, so look to the Jews.

Quote:According to halakha (Jewish religious law), Shabbat is observed from a few minutes before sunset on Friday evening until the appearance of three stars in the sky on Saturday night. Shabbat is ushered in by lighting candles and reciting a blessing.

Don't forget the Seventh Day Adventists. It's just so difficult to keep the whole god myth straight.
(05-28-2017, 09:11 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 08:12 AM)chuck white Wrote: Funny, that you laid that on the Christians. This is from old testament, so look to the Jews.

Don't forget the Seventh Day Adventists. It's just so difficult to keep the whole god myth straight.

You really don't have to keep it straight. God works in mysteries ways.
(05-28-2017, 09:16 AM)chuck white Wrote:

Yeah.  Wink  Evolution, not so mysterious.
(05-28-2017, 12:38 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Oh REALLY.. Then why does my dog sleep all the time.Is that what her ancestors did to survive?
And sticks. My new dog eats wood, sticks bark..WHY?
(05-28-2017, 12:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Oh REALLY.. Then why does my dog sleep all the time.Is that what her ancestors did to survive?
Because you dog no longer must hunt for food, compete for status in the pack, and roam a fixed boundary. 

But you dog is evolving. For better or worse.  Wink
(05-28-2017, 12:53 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 09:11 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Don't forget the Seventh Day Adventists. It's just so difficult to keep the whole god myth straight.

Because you dog no longer must hunt for food, compete for status in the pack, and roam a fixed boundary. 

But how does a dumb dog know all that? Razz But you're right about LOLA and competing for status in the pack.
She doesn't have to. They other two dogs giver her a wide berth. They are both scared to death of her.
(05-28-2017, 01:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 09:16 AM)chuck white Wrote: You really don't have to keep it straight. God works in mysteries ways.

But how does a dumb dog know all that? Razz But you're right about LOLA and competing for status in the pack.
She doesn't have to. They other two dogs giver her a wide berth. They are both scared to death of her.

First of all, dogs are not dumb. (Especially Lola). Dogs are just intelligent in a different way than man and other animals. Science is still uncertain about "instinct" but recognize it and dogs are blessed with it. They also learn from experience and adjust behavior accordingly. 

I once considered owning a Standard Poodle, a regal and handsome dog, but couldn't abide having a dog smarter than I.  Wink
(05-28-2017, 01:07 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 12:38 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Yeah.  Wink  Evolution, not so mysterious.

First of all, dogs are not dumb. (Especially Lola). Dogs are just intelligent in a different way than man and other animals. Science is still uncertain about "instinct" but recognize it and dogs are blessed with it. They also learn from experience and adjust behavior accordingly. 

I once considered owning a Standard Poodle, a regal and handsome dog, but couldn't abide having a dog smarter than I.  Wink
 Instincts are really interesting. No wonder science is confused.
(05-28-2017, 01:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 01:07 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 12:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:  Oh REALLY.. Then why does my dog sleep all the time.Is that what her ancestors did to survive?

Instincts are really interesting. No wonder science is confused.
I agree that instincts are really interesting! Have you noticed that often dogs will circle a couple of times before bedding down? Some suggest this is an instinct left from the time when they did this to flatten grass to make a bed for sleeping. 
If you read Jean Auel's "Clan Of The Cave Bear", she suggested that the Neandathal women knew "instinctively" what roots and other plants were edible and safe to eat and that it was information already contained in their brains from previous generations. Of course, no science behind this, but a curious and interesting suggestion. (By the way, I enjoyed "Clan" and thought her other books went downhill from there). 

Whatever: Instincts fascinate me and I'd love to see a "study" about them. (Sidebar: I'm a baseball fan. Often it's said about baseball players that some simply have "instincts" that allow them to make split decisions about making the right plays when there is no time to "think about it. I'm sure there are many other examples)

Fascinating stuff!
Quote:Neandathal women knew "instinctively" what roots and other plants were edible and safe to eat and that it was information already contained in their brains from previous generations.

It was in their DNA. Those who didn't carry the trait, died off.

ummm, kind of wonder why they all died off.
(05-29-2017, 08:01 AM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:Neandathal women knew "instinctively" what roots and other plants were edible and safe to eat and that it was information already contained in their brains from previous generations.

In their DNA? Well... maybe. 

Why they died off? Lot's of speculation. On of the more interesting is that they interbred with the Cro-Magnium and the Cro-Magium had traits more suitable to the ongoing evolution of tribal life. 
Whatever, we may be the off-spring of the two groups.
(05-29-2017, 08:46 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Why they died off? Lot's of speculation. On of the more interesting is that they interbred with the Cro-Magnium and the Cro-Magium had traits more suitable to the ongoing evolution of tribal life. 

Maybe your Family, I come from better breeding. Laughing Laughing
(05-29-2017, 08:54 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(05-29-2017, 08:46 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Maybe your Family, I come from better breeding. Laughing Laughing

I'm sure you do. My parents were first cousins, my grandparents brother and sister, and two of my cousins were born without ears. Still, not a Republican in the bunch.  Laughing

The same reasons any species died off. Or maybe WE, cro magnons , killed them?