50th anniversary of Sgt Peppers Lonley Heart Club Band.
[Image: 1449806-525921.jpg?itok=-2U3txM2]

I wish I could find a link to the video below in something other than FB.  I know some don't have it or use it.  I like it because it makes me laugh EVERY time I watch it. (Yes it's terrible but it's hilarious too.) Maybe someone else knows how to post the video?

So, it's like 70 years ago today, that the Sargent taught the band to play?
(05-30-2017, 09:24 PM)chuck white Wrote: So, it's like 70 years ago today, that the Sargent taught the band to play?

No Chuck. Not 70 years ago. But 50 years ago that the Beatles got serious and changed the sound of pop music forever. 
Unless, you are a C&W fan.  Or a lover of Jazz. Or ...well, you know.
(05-30-2017, 09:35 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 09:24 PM)chuck white Wrote: So, it's like 70 years ago today, that the Sargent taught the band to play?

No Chuck. Not 70 years ago. But 50 years ago that the Beatles got serious and changed the sound of pop music forever. 
Unless, you are a C&W fan.  Or a lover of Jazz. Or ...well, you know.

I though when the album came out, it had already been twenty years, since Sargent Pepper taught the band to play.

I think Chuck was doing the Math there, Wonk. 20 + 50. The Beatles were ground breaking; they had and did so many "firsts" it's hard to realize because we take so many of their "firsts" for granted now and it seems like the standard now, but then, in the early 60's so many things they did were unheard of and revolutionary. They would do it and then everyone did it so it seems like it's always been that way. Sgt Peppers is not my favorite Beatles LP, but it's still a milestone.

Have a great day all.
(05-31-2017, 06:00 AM)Juniper Wrote: I think Chuck was doing the Math there, Wonk. 20 + 50.  The Beatles were ground breaking; they had and did so many "firsts" it's hard to realize because we take so many of their "firsts" for granted now and it seems like the standard now, but then, in the early 60's so  many things they did were unheard of and revolutionary. They would do it and then everyone did it so it seems like it's always been that way.  Sgt Peppers is not my favorite Beatles LP, but it's still a milestone.

Have a great day all.

I hope you have a great day also. Thanks for stopping by.  Big Grin

(05-31-2017, 06:00 AM)Juniper Wrote: I think Chuck was doing the Math there, Wonk. 20 + 50.  The Beatles were ground breaking; they had and did so many "firsts" it's hard to realize because we take so many of their "firsts" for granted now and it seems like the standard now, but then, in the early 60's so  many things they did were unheard of and revolutionary. They would do it and then everyone did it so it seems like it's always been that way.  Sgt Peppers is not my favorite Beatles LP, but it's still a milestone.

Have a great day all.

Yeah Tia, math was never my strong suit. (Never found my strong suit). All I know is what I read in the papers and "they" tell me "Sgt Pepper" was a sea change for the Beatles. My first introduction was "I wanna hold your hand" and I was of an age not impressed by it. 
Still, I understand the value that band had in changing all things musical. 

And I hope your day is super and you find 50 bucks in an old purse you haven't used in four years.
When you're 64.
Here ya go Juniper.

https://vimeo.com/174904125
(05-31-2017, 01:19 PM)tvguy Wrote: Here ya go Juniper.

https://vimeo.com/174904125

Wink
(05-30-2017, 08:24 PM)Juniper Wrote: [Image: 1449806-525921.jpg?itok=-2U3txM2]

That's me, third row seventh from the end.   Cool
(05-31-2017, 06:04 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Which end? LOL I bet you give great directions.
(05-31-2017, 10:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-31-2017, 06:04 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Which end? LOL I bet you give great directions.

I give great directions when I want to.   Laughing
from the top to the bottom, the bottom to the top, the left to the right, the right to the left or diangol up left, down left or up right, or down right? Which is it?
(06-01-2017, 06:01 PM)Juniper Wrote: from the top to the bottom, the bottom to the top, the left to the right, the right to the left or diangol up left, down left or up right, or down right?  Which is it?

Easy, your right in front of me. Crying

Thanks for hogging the camera.
Not many still alive. Dylan and McCartney and Starkey and ??

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/aft...ar-BBBN3oX
A special on tonight....

Sgt. Pepper's Musical Revolution
9:30 PM on KOPB 10, 1 hr 30 min 2017
A look at the creation and ongoing influence of the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," which was released on June 1, 1967. A landmark achievement, it is considered one of the greatest albums of all time. Included: studio chat between band members; isolated instrumental and vocal tracks; and the back-story of how some of the songs came to be.
(06-17-2017, 09:05 PM)Valuesize Wrote: A special on tonight....

A look at the creation and ongoing influence of the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," which was released on June 1, 1967. A landmark achievement, it is considered one of the greatest albums of all time. Included: studio chat between band members; isolated instrumental and vocal tracks; and the back-story of how some of the songs came to be.
" A landmark achievement, it is considered one of the greatest albums of all time"

I'm always curious about statements like this. Who gets to make declarations as sweeping and bold as this? Hey, I'm not a knowledgeable critic of Pop music, so for all I know it's a fact. 

I have to wonder: Emerson, Lake and Palmer and Pink Floyd changed Pop music in dramatic ways. John Coltrane and Miles Davis (and a few others) were a major influence in changing Jazz. John Prine, Kristofferson and Merle Haggard influenced C&W music. 

And finally, I have to confess that I was never a huge Beatles fan. Big factor. 

So, maybe it was "one of the greatest albums of all time". Can we ever know? 
(06-18-2017, 09:00 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

" A landmark achievement, it is considered one of the greatest albums of all time"

I'm always curious about statements like this. Who gets to make declarations as sweeping and bold as this? Hey, I'm not a knowledgeable critic of Pop music, so for all I know it's a fact. 

I have to wonder: Emerson, Lake and Palmer and Pink Floyd changed Pop music in dramatic ways. John Coltrane and Miles Davis (and a few others) were a major influence in changing Jazz. John Prine, Kristofferson and Merle Haggard influenced C&W music. 

I too was perplexed that some would consider it one of the greatest of all time, but after watching this special I can understand their proclamation. Keep in mind they did say "one of the", not THE. 

I'd say give it a look, but if you were one of the few that didn't anxiously await every new album they made, you may not find it interesting. I did and learned a lot. I think the British composer Howard Goodall did a terrific job with this. 

http://www.pbs.org/program/sgt-peppers-m...evolution/
(06-18-2017, 09:00 AM)nWonky3 Wrote:

I think sometimes music is produced that is a departure from the contemporary norm. By itself it might not be considered by many to be great music but it sparks a new direction in what musicians, the listening audience and producers think and appreciate. It advances the evolution of music in some way. That which comes after is different then what came before. For that profound affect alone it could easily be considered a great thing.

disclaimer; I'm not taking any position on the greatness (or not) of the Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band album. This is meant as a general observation of music overall and nothing more. Also, I would point out the obvious in that the personal appreciation of any particular song or genre varies over a scale from "love it" to "hate it" with an infinite number of possibilities in between.