New Record
No posts since 6/6, is that a new record?

That's all....just giving folks something to click on today.

Later
(06-08-2017, 07:18 AM)GPnative Wrote: No posts since 6/6, is that a new record?

Later

Yeah I noticed yesterday when I logged on there was not one single new post. But hey look at all the free time that gave us.
I didn't have to waste 5 minutes reading all the posts that are normally here Razz
I don't know about everyone else but I've been working my ass of outside.
(06-08-2017, 11:11 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Later

Yeah I noticed yesterday when I logged on there was not one single new post. But hey look at all the free time that gave us.
I didn't have to waste 5 minutes reading all the posts that are normally here Razz

ditto
(06-08-2017, 12:41 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Later

ditto
I still have my plants in small containers. I had to move a ton of stuff. Two huge piles of lumber in order to place my 100 gallon smart pots where I want them.
I have two yards of soil still in my truck. I'm worn out from busting may ass for the last couple of days but today's good work weather so soon I'll be back at it.

Later

I think my wife and I have done more work outside in the past couple weeks then we did all of last summer. We finally did some landscaping projects that have been on the "to do" list for far too long.
(06-08-2017, 01:34 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Later

I think my wife and I have done more work outside in the past couple weeks then we did all of last summer. We finally did some landscaping projects that have been on the "to do" list for far too long.
Yep I hear ya. My wife is not healthy enough to do anything out side. And I get zero help from anyone else in the family. On top of everything else, this time of year I have to mow and weed eat an acre of weeds and grass.
I pretty much have to do it all so the dogs don't get those God Damned foxtails.
Anyway at least lately I'm making progress Big Grin
Yup. Tree and bush removal where the fruit trees will go and pressure washing everything in site has kept me busy outside also. I even started on one side of the garage.  Smiling
(06-08-2017, 04:16 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Yup. Tree and bush removal where the fruit trees will go and pressure washing everything in site has kept me busy outside also. I even started on one side of the garage.  Smiling

Life is hell. I "had" to watch 3 hours of the recently fired FBI director testify before a select committee of the U.S. Senate. 
Senator McCain, a member of the committee, had his turn to question Mr. Comey. It was beyond sad, this man who for so many years has been a prominent citizen serving our county in so many ways. His demeanor, questions, and lack of focus suggests his time for public service is over. (You can Google his remarks). 

I won't make comments about the hearings: No need to start a shit-storm. 

And yes, the "sound of silence" is enough to bring Simon & Garfunkel back for a new version. We have dwindled down to a precious few. "And then there were none".

TVguy: I'd suggest you rid yourself of all the weed whacking and grass mowing and move to a condo near a Country and Western club. But...remembering George Carlin's bit about "stuff" I don't think you'd have a prayer of getting shed of even a 10th of it. Nor would you want to, I'm sure. Your workshop alone would take years to sell off. 

Hint: For those of you young and vibrant, may I remind you that with luck you will someday be 80 years old and more than likely suffer a bad back, stiff joints, lousy knees and other typical signs of old age. The options are to have enough wealth built up to pay to have things done or move to a place where hard physics labor is no longer required. But you knew that. 

So, can we look forward to a week of no posting or responses? 

Facebook, here we come.  Sad
(06-09-2017, 08:11 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(06-08-2017, 04:16 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Yup. Tree and bush removal where the fruit trees will go and pressure washing everything in site has kept me busy outside also. I even started on one side of the garage.  Smiling

Life is hell. I "had" to watch 3 hours of the recently fired FBI director testify before a select committee of the U.S. Senate. 
Senator McCain, a member of the committee, had his turn to question Mr. Comey. It was beyond sad, this man who for so many years has been a prominent citizen serving our county in so many ways. His demeanor, questions, and lack of focus suggests his time for public service is over. (You can Google his remarks). 

And yes, the "sound of silence" is enough to bring Simon & Garfunkel back for a new version. We have dwindled down to a precious few. "And then there were none".

TVguy: I'd suggest you rid yourself of all the weed whacking and grass mowing and move to a condo near a Country and Western club. But...remembering George Carlin's bit about "stuff" I don't think you'd have a prayer of getting shed of even a 10th of it. Nor would you want to, I'm sure. Your workshop alone would take years to sell off. 

Hint: For those of you young and vibrant, may I remind you that with luck you will someday be 80 years old and more than likely suffer a bad back, stiff joints, lousy knees and other typical signs of old age. The options are to have enough wealth built up to pay to have things done or move to a place where hard physics labor is no longer required. But you knew that. 

Uggh, that hits close to home. I totally tweaked my back earlier this week when pulling a 35lb box down from a shelf over my head, something instantly went wrong, I almost dropped the box, but managed to do a controlled drop and then stood there grimacing hardly able to move and thinking wtf just happened! I have been in varying degrees of pain ever since. I keep telling myself I am still young enough to bounce back quickly, but day 4 is not much better than day 2. I have that nagging fear wondering if this is the injury that sticks with me the rest of my days??  I hope not....I have convinced myself it's just a pulled muscle and am giving myself 10 days to heal before I call and see if AARP will accept me early. Big Grin
(06-09-2017, 08:49 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Uggh, that hits close to home. I totally tweaked my back earlier this week when pulling a 35lb box down from a shelf over my head, something instantly went wrong, I almost dropped the box, but managed to do a controlled drop and then stood there grimacing hardly able to move and thinking wtf just happened! I have been in varying degrees of pain ever since. I keep telling myself I am still young enough to bounce back quickly, but day 4 is not much better than day 2. I have that nagging fear wondering if this is the injury that sticks with me the rest of my days??  I hope not....I have convinced myself it's just a pulled muscle and am giving myself 10 days to heal before I call and see if AARP will accept me early. Big Grin

Let's hope it doesn't "Stick with you the rest of your days"! 
Many of us have had back issues. 
You can do search on some good sites for ways to deal with this. In the end you may need professional care. In the meantime, here is some basic stuff you will find on any good medical site:

DON"T try bed rest! Deadly! Moderate walking and moving around is necessary. 
Don't lift anything heavier than a bottle of beer.
Use heat, and for reasons I don't understand dry heat is not effective. Wet heat is required and after 15 minutes no longer does you any good. Some then suggest a cold pack for a few minutes. 
If you sleep on your side, put a pillow between your knees. 
If you sit to watch TV (etc.) get up every 20 minutes or so and walk around the house for a bit. 
You can find stretching exercises online that will help. They really do!
Use whatever works for pain, but follow the directions. 

After a time (?), if you don't feel improvement, don't take a chance...you may have a serious injury. See a Dr. 

Better yet, ignore all this and get professional advice.  Embarrassed
Alternate ice and heat... when the pain is really bad take 3 Tylenol and 2 Ibuprofen (just don't do that too often... it can be hard on your innards).

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(06-09-2017, 09:10 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

You can do search on some good sites for ways to deal with this. In the end you may need professional care. In the meantime, here is some basic stuff you will find on any good medical site:

DON"T try bed rest! Deadly! Moderate walking and moving around is necessary. - Yes, I am trying to stay as mobile as possible. By far it is most sore in the morning after laying in bed all night. I have been taking daily walks, etc.
Don't lift anything heavier than a bottle of beer. - Yup, my wife has been super helpful picking up the slack for me around the house and yard.
Use heat, and for reasons I don't understand dry heat is not effective. Wet heat is required and after 15 minutes no longer does you any good. Some then suggest a cold pack for a few minutes. - I used ice for the first 24 hours, tried heat after about 48 hours and while it felt good when the heat was on it I think the after effect once heat was removed made it worse. I was using a dry heat, so perhaps I should try the wet heat.
If you sleep on your side, put a pillow between your knees. - That's a good idea.
If you sit to watch TV (etc.) get up every 20 minutes or so and walk around the house for a bit.  Yup, On it.
You can find stretching exercises online that will help. They really do! - Yup, doing that also
Use whatever works for pain, but follow the directions. - I haven't taken anything, I typically don't, pills mess up my GI, even Ibuprofen.  My wife rubs in magnesium oil for me which helps with the cramping and soreness.

After a time (?), if you don't feel improvement, don't take a chance...you may have a serious injury. See a Dr. We'll see where I am at when I hit the 10 day mark. I will probably try a massage therapist before going to my Dr. who'd likely tell me to do what I have been doing and give me a scrip for pain, which I wouldn't take anyway.

Better yet, ignore all this and get professional advice.  :Embarrassed

My reply in blue
(06-09-2017, 09:26 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(06-09-2017, 09:10 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

DON"T try bed rest! Deadly! Moderate walking and moving around is necessary. - Yes, I am trying to stay as mobile as possible. By far it is most sore in the morning after laying in bed all night. I have been taking daily walks, etc.
Don't lift anything heavier than a bottle of beer. - Yup, my wife has been super helpful picking up the slack for me around the house and yard.
Use heat, and for reasons I don't understand dry heat is not effective. Wet heat is required and after 15 minutes no longer does you any good. Some then suggest a cold pack for a few minutes. - I used ice for the first 24 hours, tried heat after about 48 hours and while it felt good when the heat was on it I think the after effect once heat was removed made it worse. I was using a dry heat, so perhaps I should try the wet heat.
If you sleep on your side, put a pillow between your knees. - That's a good idea.
If you sit to watch TV (etc.) get up every 20 minutes or so and walk around the house for a bit.  Yup, On it.
You can find stretching exercises online that will help. They really do! - Yup, doing that also
Use whatever works for pain, but follow the directions. - I haven't taken anything, I typically don't, pills mess up my GI, even Ibuprofen.  My wife rubs in magnesium oil for me which helps with the cramping and soreness.

After a time (?), if you don't feel improvement, don't take a chance...you may have a serious injury. See a Dr. We'll see where I am at when I hit the 10 day mark. I will probably try a massage therapist before going to my Dr. who'd likely tell me to do what I have been doing and give me a scrip for pain, which I wouldn't take anyway.

Better yet, ignore all this and get professional advice.  :Embarrassed

My reply in blue

All you can do it what you can do. Good luck.
GP, go see Jesse. If you are paying out of pocket he'll have some special offer so it won't break the bank. Try this $49. deal, you won't be sorry. Make the appointment with him, not someone else that works for him. 

[Image: DSC_5682-300x225.jpg]

http://siskiyoupt.com/staff/
(06-09-2017, 12:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote: GP, go see Jesse. If you are paying out of pocket he'll have some special offer so it won't break the bank. Try this $49. deal, you won't be sorry. Make the appointment with him, not someone else that works for him. 

Thanks for the tip!   Thumbs Up
(06-09-2017, 12:24 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(06-09-2017, 12:00 PM)Valuesize Wrote: GP, go see Jesse. If you are paying out of pocket he'll have some special offer so it won't break the bank. Try this $49. deal, you won't be sorry. Make the appointment with him, not someone else that works for him. 

Thanks for the tip!   Thumbs Up

Once I hurt my back from stepping out of a job shack that didn't have any stairs. It was 7:00 in the morning and with zero warm up exercise I managed to hork my back where my spine fits in to my tailbone.
Never mind at the technical jargon like "hork". I think you get the drift.

Anyway I worked the rest of that day and a couple more before I went to a Chirpocracker in Ashland.
  I wished I had gone sooner because the guy literally fixed me as if I was a broken screen door.

Yeah go see that dude.
I've never had a "bad back" I have hurt my back a lot of times but it seems like every time it was when my muscles were cold.
 I believe that my weightlifting which consists of nothing more than dumbbells a few minutes every day. Keeps your back strong as well as your whole upper body and makes you much less likely to pull a back muscle.
(06-09-2017, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: I've never had a "bad back" I have hurt my back a lot of times but it seems like every time it was when my muscles were cold.
 I believe that my weightlifting which consists of nothing more than dumbbells a few minutes every day. Keeps your back strong as well as your whole upper body and makes you much less likely to pull a back muscle.

I think you're right and just by how this is injury is behaving I do think it is only a pulled muscle. Although I joked about it, I don't think this will create a "bad back" issue for me, but I do envision being a lot more careful in what and how I lift things, especially from over my head! Doing some preventative weight training w/ dumbbells is a good idea.

I have had other back pain from overuse before but this was the first time I have had such an acute, move the wrong way and want to cry out in pain kind of back pain. It has given me a new found empathy for folks that suffer from chronic back issues. I've learned there is not many movements you can make that don't require use of the back, it's easy to take that for granted when it doesn't hurt.
(06-09-2017, 02:48 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(06-09-2017, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: I've never had a "bad back" I have hurt my back a lot of times but it seems like every time it was when my muscles were cold.

I think you're right and just by how this is injury is behaving I do think it is only a pulled muscle. Although I joked about it, I don't think this will create a "bad back" issue for me, but I do envision being a lot more careful in what and how I lift things, especially from over my head! Doing some preventative weight training w/ dumbbells is a good idea.

I have had other back pain from overuse before but this was the first time I have had such an acute, move the wrong way and want to cry out in pain kind of back pain. It has given me a new found empathy for folks that suffer from chronic back issues. I've learned there is not many movements you can make that don't require use of the back, it's easy to take that for granted when it doesn't hurt.

I pulled a muscle in my back once when I swung at a softball during a game and I totally missed.
And it was slow pitch.
Yes it's funny but not uncommon. I pitched in softball for many years and I struck a lot or people out. It's funny and embarrassing.

Anyway when I whiffed the catcher made some joking comment and when I tried to speak my voice has a natural vibrato because a muscle in my back was still having a spasm Razz Razz