How Could The Navy Destroyer Collision Happen?
I'm having a hard time understanding this. As a former seafaring captain licensed by the Merchant Marines, I am familiar with navigating and the perils that exist, but this is perplexing. These two ships could never or should I say should never, under normal circumstances, collide with each other. My guess is there are millions of dollars of the most sophisticated equipment known to man on BOTH these vessels that SHOULD make this impossible, but yet.

We are not hearing even a hint of a possible explanation so it leads me to think the captains of both ships were in complete dereliction of duties and are both in a heap of shit. Life on a ship on the open sea can be mundane, but one can never let that let you stray from safety protocols.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/19/533432845/...ion-happen
My hubby and I were discussing this when we first heard the Breaking News announcement. WTH?!?! Something isn't right with this story.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(06-20-2017, 10:36 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I'm having a hard time understanding this. As a former seafaring captain licensed by the Merchant Marines, I am familiar with navigating and the perils that exist, but this is perplexing. These two ships could never or should I say should never, under normal circumstances, collide with each other. My guess is there are millions of dollars of the most sophisticated equipment known to man on BOTH these vessels that SHOULD make this impossible, but yet.

We are not hearing even a hint of a possible explanation so it leads me to think the captains of both ships were in complete dereliction of duties and are both in a heap of shit. Life on a ship on the open sea can be mundane, but one can never let that let you stray from safety protocols.

We are not hearing even a hint of a possible explanation

[Image: sailor_facebook.jpg]

[Image: crashed-ship-2.jpg]
(06-20-2017, 10:36 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I'm having a hard time understanding this. As a former seafaring captain licensed by the Merchant Marines, I am familiar with navigating and the perils that exist, but this is perplexing. These two ships could never or should I say should never, under normal circumstances, collide with each other. My guess is there are millions of dollars of the most sophisticated equipment known to man on BOTH these vessels that SHOULD make this impossible, but yet.

See, your problem is you are getting information from the loony-toons at NPR. Everybody knows they are a bunch of Commies who lie, cheat and steal. 
When President Trump was asked why this happened he simply said "Shit happens".
That that's the kind of leadership I'm talkin' about!
(06-21-2017, 06:28 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

See, your problem is you are getting information from the loony-toons at NPR. Everybody knows they are a bunch of Commies who lie, cheat and steal. 
When President Trump was asked why this happened he simply said "Shit happens".
That that's the kind of leadership I'm talkin' about!
Yeah what he said.
I heard that since this happened that are working on a device that can actually show objects floating in the ocean      ( like ships) on a TV screen.

As a former seafaring captain licensed by the Merchant Marines,

No shit! That's pretty cool. Do you have a wooden leg? Or a hook for a hand? Just kidding I totally doubt you have both.
(06-21-2017, 06:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:

No shit! That's pretty cool. Do you have a wooden leg? Or a hook for a hand? Just kidding I totally doubt you have both.

See's? Now that's just downright discriminator, prejudice, and unfair thinking ALL seafaring men might not have a wooden leg, hook, or hand. 
But it's true they ALL have at least one parrot. 
PS: The following is not worth the time it takes to read it. Don't bother.

An older lady had a parrot she somehow got from a sea captain. Having been around sailor types all his life the parrot swore like...well, a sailor. 
The old woman gave the bird time out, held back the crackers, and as a last resort pulled a few feathers from the top of his head. 
Didn't help.
So, after one especially outrageous burst of profanity the old lady stuck the parrot in the freezer for a few minutes to see it that teach him a lesson. 
The parrot glanced over and saw a cleanly dressed chicken ready to be thawed and cooked, and said, "Holy shit, I can't even imagine what the fuck you must have said to have ALL your feathers yanked out". 

Told ya it wasn't worth your time.  Wink
(06-21-2017, 07:11 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

See's? Now that's just downright discriminator, prejudice, and unfair thinking ALL seafaring men might not have a wooden leg, hook, or hand. 

An older lady had a parrot she somehow got from a sea captain. Having been around sailor types all his life the parrot swore like...well, a sailor. 
The old woman gave the bird time out, held back the crackers, and as a last resort pulled a few feathers from the top of his head. 
Didn't help.
So, after one especially outrageous burst of profanity the old lady stuck the parrot in the freezer for a few minutes to see it that teach him a lesson. 
The parrot glanced over and saw a cleanly dressed chicken ready to be thawed and cooked, and said, "Holy shit, I can't even imagine what the fuck you must have said to have ALL your feathers yanked out". 

Once I went to a house where the kitchen was being remodeled . My apprentice and I knocked on the door and a woman said "come on in".
We did, closed the door behind us but no one was there. I just assumed they went to grab a shirt or were on the phone or whatever.
But we waited and waited and no one came.
So I loudly said HELLO! And across the room, in a cage, A parrot said clearly in a woman's voice.. come on in.
You can't make this stuff upSmiling.

That parrot was a hoot. The owner went to work and ordered us to not let the dog in to the house. But we accidentally did anyway. And when the dog went by the parrot said "get out of here you stupid dog"

We laughed so hard we must have "accidentally" let the dog in about ten more times.
(06-21-2017, 07:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-21-2017, 07:11 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Didn't help.

Once I went to a house where the kitchen was being remodeled . My apprentice and I knocked on the door and a woman said "come on in".
We did, closed the door behind us but no one was there. I just assumed they went to grab a shirt or were on the phone or whatever.
But we waited and waited and no one came.
So I loudly said HELLO! And across the room, in a cage, A parrot said clearly in a woman's voice.. come on in.
You can't make this stuff upSmiling.

That parrot was a hoot. The owner went to work and ordered us to not let the dog in to the house. But we accidentally did anyway. And when the dog went by the parrot said "get out of here you stupid dog"

We laughed so hard we must have "accidentally" let the dog in about ten more times.

It's kinda like "It's a Wonderful Life" around here tonight.  Smiling
http://freebeacon.com/national-security/...destroyer/

Freighter was on auto pilot, and the Destroyer did not detect the presence of the freighter. It's not a lot of information. The whole thing seems like someone is covering up something.
(06-23-2017, 08:35 AM)Hugo Wrote: http://freebeacon.com/national-security/...destroyer/

Freighter was on auto pilot, and the Destroyer did not detect the presence of the freighter.  It's not a lot of information.  The whole thing seems like someone is covering up something.

Seems pretty obvious there were multiple folks on both ships not doing their jobs and will likely not continue to have them for long.

I would think most commercial ships would be using auto-steering once out of congested areas. It's just more efficient. Unfortunately auto pilot goes just where it's set to go. It's the helmsman's job to make sure there isn't something in the way. Rocks are easy cause they don't usually move, other ships (or pleasure craft) can be anywhere.

No bridge watch or lookout on either ship?? Not good at all. For a commercial ship it's probably not too surprising but for a navy ship? Blink Yikes!
The larger, less maneuverable ship has the right of way. This is all on the captain of the destroyer. 100%  Razz
(06-23-2017, 01:07 PM)Valuesize Wrote: The larger, less maneuverable ship has the right of way. This is all on the captain of the destroyer. 100%  Razz

Yes, but both have an obligation to avoid collision if possible. It's rarely 100% fault though sometimes both are 100% at fault. Big Grin
(06-23-2017, 01:48 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-23-2017, 01:07 PM)Valuesize Wrote: The larger, less maneuverable ship has the right of way. This is all on the captain of the destroyer. 100%  Razz

Yes, but both have an obligation to avoid collision if possible. It's rarely 100% fault though sometimes both are 100% at fault.  Big Grin

Hey Cuzz: Shit happens!  Razz
Reminds me of the story about an aircraft carrier, requesting that the other ship change course. The other party (generally identified as Canadian or often Irish and occasionally Spanish) responds that the naval vessel should change course, whereupon the captain of the naval vessel reiterates the demand, identifying himself and the ship he commands and sometimes making threats. This elicits a response worded as "I'm a lighthouse. Your call"
(06-24-2017, 05:40 PM)chuck white Wrote: Reminds me of the story about an aircraft carrier, requesting that the other ship change course. The other party (generally identified as Canadian or often Irish and occasionally Spanish) responds that the naval vessel should change course, whereupon the captain of the naval vessel reiterates the demand, identifying himself and the ship he commands and sometimes making threats. This elicits a response worded as "I'm a lighthouse. Your call"

Laughing
(06-24-2017, 07:06 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 05:40 PM)chuck white Wrote: Reminds me of the story about an aircraft carrier, requesting that the other ship change course. The other party (generally identified as Canadian or often Irish and occasionally Spanish) responds that the naval vessel should change course, whereupon the captain of the naval vessel reiterates the demand, identifying himself and the ship he commands and sometimes making threats. This elicits a response worded as "I'm a lighthouse. Your call"

Laughing

I heard that one some time back. It was pretty funny then too!   Big Grin
(06-24-2017, 07:09 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-24-2017, 07:06 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Laughing

I heard that one some time back. It was pretty funny then too!   Big Grin
 Yep Wonky's Grandpa used to tell that one a lot.
I was actually laughing at Chucky not the old joke.  Razz Laughing