Simple: Just Don't Get Sick
From todays (6/29) Mail Tribune:

"Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon will stop offering individual insurance in Jackson County on a government exchange in 2018 — leaving residents the choice of two insurers who are both seeking rate increases next year."

Seems to me, the simple truth is that somehow, someway, we will never have a national health insurance plan to does not "mandate" young people to be part of the mix. Call it Single Payer if you want, but the basic concept of insurance is a mix of subscribers from a broad section of a population. 

So, we wait as our GOP government offers us the solution. Oh wait...they just told us "never mind". Maybe next year. Now, onto tax reform. 

The ACA (Obamacare) failed to provide the complete program we needed. But it was a start, a valuable tool that could have been tweaked, improved, bent, and learned from. Too good to repeal, not good enough to make it a complete success, it was a start. Still not dead, it may yet rise from the ashes. Maybe. 

Note to you young healthy folks out there who refused to become part of the program: Everyone once in a while young people become ill too. Never mind...our hospitals will not turn you away. Of course you won't have the money to pay the bill, but never fear, we will tax ourselves to pay it for you. Simple: Just don't get sick. 

Some things are just too important to leave to politics.  Wink
Quote:700 BILLION Americans Will Lose Healthcare If Obamacare Repealed

https://www.infowars.com/mad-maxine-wate...-repealed/

Wow, that's more than 100 times the world population.

No wonder the freeways are crowded.
(06-29-2017, 09:06 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: From todays (6/29) Mail Tribune:

"Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon will stop offering individual insurance in Jackson County on a government exchange in 2018 — leaving residents the choice of two insurers who are both seeking rate increases next year."

Further evidence of the complete implosion of Obamacare.
(06-29-2017, 02:00 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 09:06 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: From todays (6/29) Mail Tribune:

Further evidence of the complete implosion of Obamacare.

True. Obamacare, launched in an attempt to once and for all start building a basic national health care system (see below) was riddled with problems that simply could not stand the assault from those pledged to repeal it. Many believe that in time, with bipartisan efforts, and the cooperation of the insurance industry, the ACA could have been "fixed", and modified in some way to enlist the young to take part in the program. "Rome wasn't built in a day" they tell us. 

And then we elected a Republican President, Senate, and House of Representatives who, pledged to repeal the ACA, could not do it, and could not author a plan of their own to replace it. It's especially telling, because they had eight years to study and write a bill that their own members could accept. 

Maybe we don't need a national health plan. If so, we are the only industrialized country in the West to neglect the needs of those who are suffering and can't afford private insurance. We do have a "default" national health care system: We call it the "Emergency Room" and because we are a caring society we seldom turn folks away who can't pay for the service. But we all know there is no free lunch: We do pay, and dearly, because it's a lousy way to provide health care. We do provide Medicaid to those without any wealth, and that too is under attack. (No one can argue that it should not be investigated and adjusted to prevent abuse by those who don't deserve it) 

Medicare, for the elderly, is a program that can be "tweaked" and adjusted and can continue to be a well liked program long into the future. (Personally, I need to pay a higher deductible...just one "tweak" that would help) 

So to be accurate, we have to recognize that Obamacare has not "completely imploded ". Limping along, it is still an active federal program. Perhaps it will take a Democratic majority in Congress to start fixing it and, in time, make it a model other counties will envy. 

Harry Truman, who became President upon FDR's death in 1945, considered it his duty to perpetuate Roosevelt's legacy. In 1945, he became the first president to propose national health insurance legislation.

In 1954 Dwight Eisenhower proposed a plan to re-insure private insurance companies against usually heavy losses on health insurance as part of a comprehensive health and welfare program that Congress ultimately rejected. 
If they would do away with government regulations in the medical industry, care could be a lot cheaper.

I would open my own clinic in SV and charge half as much, but government regulations say, I have to go to medical school.
I've lost faith that healthcare costs can be fixed within our current system. In the end I think we'll get universal healthcare or it will evolve into a perk only for the wealthy. I really don't see any other possible solution in the foreseeable future.

I think it's going to really suck for most of us before it can get any better. Sorry.
(06-29-2017, 05:22 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I've lost faith that healthcare costs can be fixed within our current system. In the end I think we'll get universal healthcare or it will evolve into a perk only for the wealthy. I really don't see any other possible solution in the foreseeable future.

I think it's going to really suck for most of us before it can get any better. Sorry.

You could be right of course, Cuzz. I hope not, but it's leaning that way.

Thing is, societies across the globe have health care systems that somehow are at least adequate in serving the entire population, and it does not seem to break their bank. 

I wonder: Like the oath physicians take, "First, do no harm" maybe we need as a people to learn to have reasonable attitudes and dialog and force our politicians to swear to "Do what's necessary to work together for the good of the people". Pie in the sky? Yeah, maybe. A guy can dream. 

PS: Saw an interview with Warren Buffet yesterday and he said "Raise my taxes...PLEASE!" Yet, we are going to give the very wealthy tax breaks on the broken theory that "trickle down" works. Pure folly. We could use some revenue to help build a heath care plan. 
(06-29-2017, 06:26 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 05:22 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I've lost faith that healthcare costs can be fixed within our current system. In the end I think we'll get universal healthcare or it will evolve into a perk only for the wealthy. I really don't see any other possible solution in the foreseeable future.

Thing is, societies across the globe have health care systems that somehow are at least adequate in serving the entire population, and it does not seem to break their bank. 

I wonder: Like the oath physicians take, "First, do no harm" maybe we need as a people to learn to have reasonable attitudes and dialog and force our politicians to swear to "Do what's necessary to work together for the good of the people". Pie in the sky? Yeah, maybe. A guy can dream. 

PS: Saw an interview with Warren Buffet yesterday and he said "Raise my taxes...PLEASE!" Yet, we are going to give the very wealthy tax breaks on the broken theory that "trickle down" works. Pure folly. We could use some revenue to help build a heath care plan. 

I agree there are possible ways to make a better healthcare system. I just don't think it is politically possible in this country until it gets truly bad for a lot more people then it is now. Then it will be demanded forcefully and something will finally be done.

In the end I believe we will have universal healthcare because the insurance companies are maximizing their profits and will continue to blindly do so until they are simply pushed out. I think this is a case where the government can do better then the holy free market capitalism. Sorry to all y'all conservatives, this is something I think you will be wrong about.
(06-29-2017, 07:12 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I agree there are possible ways to make a better healthcare system. I just don't think it is politically possible in this country until it gets truly bad for a lot more people then it is now. Then it will be demanded forcefully and something will finally be done.

In the end I believe we will have universal healthcare because the insurance companies are maximizing their profits and will continue to blindly do so until they are simply pushed out. I think this is a case where the government can do better then the holy free market capitalism. Sorry to all y'all conservatives, this is something I think you will be wrong about.

I dunno. Could be.
I think the free market can serve us well. History is pretty clear that the free market only works will with some oversight and responsible government can do that. And lots and lots of business got really rich with oversight firmly in place. 
So, what's wrong with insurance companies making a couple of bucks? They employ lots of people, and those folks pay taxes, buy cars, pay rent, etc. 
Obama may have wanted a single payer system but was advised that including the "market" would be a better sell and could accomplish his "basic" policy. 
But, it all hinged on all adults buying into the program. Hence, the "mandate". Well...that was not a great sell as we now know. But figure out some way to induce the productive adult population to buy insurance and the insurance companies will be flush with customers and will be able to lower prices for the products. 
Therein lies the fly in the ointment. Getting everyone to sign up. 
Maybe the major flaw in the ACA. 

Still Cuzz, your point is well taken. When all is said and done, our only hope may be a single payer system. That's only gonna happen when the political blood is ankle deep.
(06-29-2017, 07:34 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I dunno. Could be.
I think the free market can serve us well. History is pretty clear that the free market only works will with some oversight and responsible government can do that. And lots and lots of business got really rich with oversight firmly in place. 
So, what's wrong with insurance companies making a couple of bucks? They employ lots of people, and those folks pay taxes, buy cars, pay rent, etc. 
Obama may have wanted a single payer system but was advised that including the "market" would be a better sell and could accomplish his "basic" policy. 
But, it all hinged on all adults buying into the program. Hence, the "mandate". Well...that was not a great sell as we now know. But figure out some way to induce the productive adult population to buy insurance and the insurance companies will be flush with customers and will be able to lower prices for the products. 

Still Cuzz, your point is well taken. When all is said and done, our only hope may be a single payer system. That's only gonna happen when the political blood is ankle deep.

I don't disagree with you, it COULD happen that way. I just don't believe it WILL happen that way.
(06-29-2017, 08:43 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 07:34 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I dunno. Could be.

I don't disagree with you, it COULD happen that way. I just don't believe it WILL happen that way.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath either.  Wink
I wonder what Trump was thinking, when he said the replacement would be better and cheaper. I don't recall him introducing any plan at all. Was he talking about the original republican plan, that nobody read? Or is the no plan option, the cheaper better plan?

I think some republican should introduce a single payer plan and tout how it is a better plan and will cost consumers less money, just like Donald promised. Just to see if Donald backs it.
I want Donny's $12 a year plan. Sounds great.
(07-20-2017, 03:27 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I want Donny's $12 a year plan. Sounds great.

I thought you were already on that plan.
Medicare is a bit more than $1 a month.