Local Facebook sites
(08-13-2017, 03:16 PM)Juniper Wrote: Still not really sure what makes Nextdoor so great or any better than a local site. For instance Nextdoor vs WestMedfordGroup on FB?  Unless you don't use FB, then it's something.

I was wondering the same thing.
Out where I live, i just went out over the last couple of years and got to know my neighbors. Don't need a computer website for that.
(08-13-2017, 06:07 PM)Hugo Wrote: Out where I live, i just went out over the last couple of years and got to know my neighbors.  Don't need a computer website for that.

All three of them? Razz

There are only about 20 neighbors around me and I know them all.  When you join this site you get to chose the area you are interested in. It doesn't have to be your neighbors.
I thought it might be interesting if enough people around me were on  the site. Just to see if they are experiencing crime or whatever.
(08-13-2017, 08:28 PM)argonman Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 03:16 PM)Juniper Wrote: Still not really sure what makes Nextdoor so great or any better than a local site. For instance Nextdoor vs WestMedfordGroup on FB?  Unless you don't use FB, then it's something.

West Medford Residents though is much larger, no real idea of who is on it/in it, anyone can participate, etc.

Nextdoor usually requires you actually use your address to register, though you can hide your actual street #, but it will show street I believe to just your immediate neighbors.  You can choose to participate in just your neighborhood, or see immediate neighborhoods near you -- you can pick.

So in that sense, it is a much smaller group.  You can dial it down to literally your few blocks, unlike Facebook.

Also nice because some people aren't comfortable with Facebook, but are a little more comfortable on a small website, so works good for that.

Also, the push alerts/notifications are pretty unique to it, so easy to notify your immediate neighbors of an immediate problem that may require immediate attention.

Cool. Smiling

West Medford Residents though is much larger, no real idea of who is on it/in it, anyone can participate, etc.

Nextdoor usually requires you actually use your address to register, though you can hide your actual street #, but it will show street I believe to just your immediate neighbors.  You can choose to participate in just your neighborhood, or see immediate neighborhoods near you -- you can pick.

So in that sense, it is a much smaller group.  You can dial it down to literally your few blocks, unlike Facebook.

Also nice because some people aren't comfortable with Facebook, but are a little more comfortable on a small website, so works good for that.

Also, the push alerts/notifications are pretty unique to it, so easy to notify your immediate neighbors of an immediate problem that may require immediate attention.
I'm on it but rarely see any activity on it.
(08-14-2017, 05:26 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I'm on it but rarely see any activity on it.
I found the site, joined (had to to log on) and looked around. 
I deactivated my account. 
I'm sure some find it of value. I was not attracted to the format.
If more people used it, maybe I would like it. But honestly having the wide scope of West Medford Group is attractive to me. More eyes and sources. Like when I've posted pictures of crimes in the neighborhood, hundreds see it as opposed to half a dozen (possibly).