Dems: A day late and a dollar short?
Chuck Schumer, leading the Democratic Party, has promised a new message today (Monday, 7/24) promising an new deal for American workers and a reset of the goals and attitudes of the national Democratic Party. I hope he is not a "day late and and a dollar short."

Let's hope for the best. 

The Democratic Party lost it's way in understanding the needs of "working folks" and paid the price in the last national election. It is going to take one big "reset" to convince many blue collar folks that the party is sincere in getting back to the roots that once defined it as the party of people who labor for a living. The party has room also for the academics who have long supported the goals, and other groups that may not labor for their bread are also important. But, the central core has long been the working people of the country. 

I'll be watching and listening to see the details of this address. 

From the 7/24 NYT: 

Chuck Schumer: A Better Deal for American Workers
By CHUCK SCHUMERJULY 24, 2017

[Image: 24schumer-master768.jpg]
CreditChris Gash 
Americans are clamoring for bold changes to our politics and our economy. They feel, rightfully, that both systems are rigged against them, and they made that clear in last year’s election. American families deserve a better deal so that this country works for everyone again, not just the elites and special interests. Today, Democrats will start presenting that better deal to the American people.
There used to be a basic bargain in this country that if you worked hard and played by the rules, you could own a home, afford a car, put your kids through college and take a modest vacation every year while putting enough away for a comfortable retirement. In the second half of the 20th century, millions of Americans achieved this solid middle-class lifestyle. I should know — I grew up in that America.
But things have changed.
Today’s working Americans and the young are justified in having greater doubts about the future than any generation since the Depression. Americans believe they’re getting a raw deal from both the economic and political systems in our country. And they are right. The wealthiest special interests can spend an unlimited, undisclosed amount of money to influence elections and protect their special deals in Washington. As a result, our system favors short-term gains for shareholders instead of long-term benefits for workers.
And for far too long, government has gone along, tilting the economic playing field in favor of the wealthy and powerful while putting new burdens on the backs of hard-working Americans.
Democrats have too often hesitated from taking on those misguided policies directly and unflinchingly — so much so that many Americans don’t know what we stand for. Not after today. Democrats will show the country that we’re the party on the side of working people — and that we stand for three simple things.

First, we’re going to increase people’s pay. Second, we’re going to reduce their everyday expenses. And third, we’re going to provide workers with the tools they need for the 21st-century economy.
Over the next several months, Democrats will lay out a series of policies that, if enacted, will make these three things a reality. We’ve already proposed creating jobs with a $1 trillion infrastructure plan; increasing workers’ incomes by lifting the minimum wage to $15; and lowering household costs by providing paid family and sic

On Monday we are announcing three new policies to advance our goals.
Right now, there is nothing to stop vulture capitalists from egregiously raising the price of lifesaving drugs without justification. We’re going to fight for rules to stop prescription drug price gouging and demand that drug companies justify price increases to the public. And we’re going to push for empowering Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices for older Americans.
Right now our antitrust laws are designed to allow huge corporations to merge, padding the pockets of investors but sending costs skyrocketing for everything from cable bills and airline tickets to food and health care. We are going to fight to allow regulators to break up big companies if they’re hurting consumers and to make it harder for companies to merge if it reduces competition.
Right now millions of unemployed or underemployed people, particularly those without a college degree, could be brought back into the labor force or retrained to secure full-time, higher-paying work. We propose giving employers, particularly small businesses, a large tax credit to train workers for unfilled jobs. This will have particular resonance in smaller cities and rural areas, which have experienced an exodus of young people who aren’t trained for the jobs in those areas.
In the coming months, we’ll offer additional ideas, from rebuilding rural America to fundamentally changing our trade laws to benefit workers, not multinational corporations.
We are in the minority in both houses of Congress; we cannot promise anyone that this Congress will begin passing our priorities tomorrow. But we have to start raising our voices to present our vision for the country’s future. We will seek the support of any Republicans willing to work with us, but more important, we must start rallying the American people to support our ideas.
In the last two elections, Democrats, including in the Senate, failed to articulate a strong, bold economic program for the middle class and those working hard to get there. We also failed to communicate our values to show that we were on the side of working people, not the special interests. We will not repeat the same mistake. This is the start of a new vision for the party, one strongly supported by House and Senate Democrats.
Our better deal is not about expanding the government, or moving our party in one direction or another along the political spectrum. Nor is it about tearing down government agencies that work, that effectively protect consumers and promote the health and well-being of the country. It’s about reorienting government to work on behalf of people and families.
503COMMENTS
Americans from every corner of this country know that the economy isn’t working for them the way that it should, and they wonder if it ever will again. One party says the answer is that special interests should continue to write the rules and that government ought to make things easier for an already-favored few.
Democrats will offer a better deal.
Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York, is the Senate minority leader.
Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook and Twitter (@NYTopinion), and sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter
Laughing Laughing   Schumer.......

https://news.grabien.com/story-gas-price...ices-never

As gas prices fall to a 12 year low...... Schumer claims otherwise......  

And in case you missed it.... GAS PRICES FALL TO 12 YEAR LOW.  That goddamn Trump, anyways.....
Gas prices started to fall sometime ago. We are after all the worlds leading producer of oil and that didn't happen in the last 6 months. As well Europe is giving up on gasoline. they are mostly diesel and even at that they are moving away from oil.
I do believe you will find lower prices under Obama, that 12 figure was aimed at the independence day holiday(s).
Source UPI, Politifact.
Look at 2/29/16 and 13/01/08. It actually slipped under $2.00
(07-24-2017, 11:05 AM)Hugo Wrote: Laughing Laughing   Schumer.......

And in case you missed it.... GAS PRICES FALL TO 12 YEAR LOW.  That goddamn Trump, anyways.....

You must be nuts trying to  give Trump credit for low gas prices. Nuts or desperate to find something good about that idiot.
(07-24-2017, 01:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You must be nuts trying to  give Trump credit for low gas prices. Nuts or desperate to find something good about that idiot.

Gas prices? Folks here want to center an argument about government behavior on gas prices? Holy mother of all that holy, you buy 'em books and they eat the covers!
(07-24-2017, 01:45 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Gas prices? Folks here want to center an argument about government behavior on gas prices? Holy mother of all that holy, you buy 'em books and they eat the covers!

Laughing It's not my fault you quote Schumer with a straight face.....
(07-24-2017, 04:36 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(07-24-2017, 01:45 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Laughing It's not my fault you quote Schumer with a straight face.....

How do you know he had a straight face?? Did you hack his computer camera or something?   Ninja
Sure gas prices are down, but Whoppers cost more then ever.
Yea..... And the biggest whopper is that the democrats care about the blue collar" working class" followed by the second biggest whopper that only the poor and the blue collar people work......

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
(07-24-2017, 07:23 PM)chuck white Wrote: Sure gas prices are down, but Whoppers cost more then ever.

You can thank an unreasonable minimum wage for that......
(07-24-2017, 10:56 PM)capitalist pig Wrote: Yea..... And the biggest whopper is that the democrats care about the blue collar" working class" followed by the second biggest whopper that only the poor and the blue collar  people work......

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

It may be a pure down home fact that this Democrat "reset" is a whopper. (Notice my Topic heading: Day late and a dollar short?). But, we haven't seen any details yet that fully flush out the language. Who knows? Repentance is a powerful act that can change people. I'm still skeptical but am willing to see what they suggest. 
As a card carrying Democrat I have been more than just a little disappointed in the party (as a whole). And by the way, many of my Republican friends and been disappointed in the Republican Party too and have left. (Even George Will has registered as an Independent. Hugo once posted he is no longer a republican but and Independent or maybe a Libertarian. 

As to your simplistic reaction to the "working class" remark, it's been a long tradition that the professional, business and entrepreneurial "classes" have not been considered "working class". Of course they "work". It's two off-ramps past silly to make that suggestion. 

Note to Hugo: I quoted Schemer with a straight face because I read it with a straight face: That is, I was more than skeptical, I was not buying the "product" and said as much. It will take more than simple jargon and rhetoric for the Democratic party to get back to the policies and attitudes that served those who depended on them for the social fairness they once embraced. But the "gas price" argument is a straw dog not worth the time to talk about it. 

The Democrats have some heavy lifting to do it they are really going to make meaningful adjustment to the "platform" of the party and reach out to those they pledged support to. I think the same can be said of the Republican party. 

I wonder if we should readjust our attention and give more support to local people and positions and hope that the work from the grass-roots bubbles up to national politics. 

Sticky wicket: No easy answers.