...and now the Columbia River
The Trump Administration is running amok. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017...v=top-news
(07-28-2017, 06:56 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: The Trump Administration is running amok. 

Great. Here we go again. Privatizing won't fix any of the complaints mentioned. It would most likely cause some new ones and create a whole basket full of new bugaboos. And make you pay more for your electricity to boot.
(07-28-2017, 07:40 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(07-28-2017, 06:56 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: The Trump Administration is running amok. 

Great. Here we go again. Privatizing won't fix any of the complaints mentioned. It would most likely cause some new ones and create a whole basket full of new bugaboos. And make you pay more for your electricity to boot.

Yep. I like "private enterprise" as a model where possible. There are some things so big it must be left to The People to fund and administer. 
...leave it alone.
I think it a plot to sell public resources to private industry at bargain prices.
Again the rich screwing the general population.
(07-28-2017, 12:46 PM)chuck white Wrote: I think it a plot to sell public resources to private industry at bargain prices.
Not yet. While the Republicans "control" our government, they don't own it. 
The Democrats still have 44 Senate seats (and two Independents often vote with Democrats), and 194 seats in The House. 
So, look at what the Republicans have failed to do with their majority. 
Our government is in sad shape, for sure, but not totally impotent. 
I think we will be able to keep the Columbian River system public. And having said that, good over site and improved management can still be a goal.
(07-29-2017, 11:03 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(07-28-2017, 12:46 PM)chuck white Wrote: I think it a plot to sell public resources to private industry at bargain prices.
Not yet. While the Republicans "control" our government, they don't own it. 
The Democrats still have 44 Senate seats (and two Independents often vote with Democrats), and 194 seats in The House. 
So, look at what the Republicans have failed to do with their majority. 
Our government is in sad shape, for sure, but not totally impotent. 
I think we will be able to keep the Columbian River system public. And having said that, good over site and improved management can still be a goal.

You assume Democrats and Independents will all be against privatizing. I don't have that much faith.

There have been repeated attempts to change the BPA over the years. In general it seems to be a way to spread the benefit of lower cost hydro power over a wider recipient group. In short peeps are jealous of our abundant hydro power in the Northwest and want some. That and some administrations see a pot of fast money by selling it off.

Also, Chuck has a good point. The Republicans and Libertarians have an ongoing urge to sell public resources to their buddies.