Health Care: Still working on it...
AFFORDABLE CARE ACT

Health care law still needs some patchwork

From Today's (7/30) Mail Tribune. (And for the life of me I can't get the link to work)

I'm hoping that now that we know the Republicans can't put together anything, the ENTIRE congress can do what they are getting paid for and make the necessary compromises that will give us national health care protecting those who don't have employer plans, Medicaid, Medicare, VA coverage, or other government programs. 
It's those small business owners or others who don't have plans like those above who suffer the high costs of private plans (if they can get them).

Many of us think the private sector should provide services wherever possible, but there are some things so big and complex that government (with good and proper oversight) is better equipped to do. (We don't want national defense to be outsources to Blackwater). Still, there is a good chance that our government could devise a program that includes some private involvement allowing competition to be a driving force. And, we are going to have to accept the fact that young healthy people are going to have to be part of the program for it to work. Call it a "mandate" or not, but it's just a fact that insurance only works as a "group plan". 

Maybe the key word in the heading above is patchwork. Most reasonable folks agree that while the ACA is deeply flawed, it's basic concept is a good one and with some attentive "patchwork" done by bipartisan effort, we could have a decent national plan. 

Let's hope. We need it.