This forum
So something like 12 years ago this forum was started as responses to articles in the mail Tribune.
But because the Tribune didn't want any part of the bickering and ugliness they dumped it

So now on any local Facebook site people can and do post articles from the MMT and anyone who wants can comment.

So how is this any different than what started this forum? Anyway if you are on FB and want to discuss the cameras that have been installed then you can join West Medfords FB site.

From the MMT.....
Two new security camera clusters focused on Alba Park are Medford police’s latest efforts to curb crime, though they insist that Big Brother isn’t watching.

Installed last week at the intersection of Eighth and Holly streets and down the road at Main and Holly are two camera clusters with conspicuous flashing blue lights, officially known as police observation devices, according to Deputy Chief Scott Clauson. The cameras feed into a digital video recorder at Medford’s police station, where footage is automatically stored for 30 days.
Though police have the capability to access footage remotely, no staff member is tasked with monitoring the video in real time, Clauson said. He described the cameras as a tool used for investigating crimes and said the faint blue light acts as a crime deterrent.
“It really seems to kind of push people out,” Clauson said.
The Rev. Murray Richmond, pastor at First Presbyterian Church of Medford, said he hadn’t noticed them before.
“We did not know that the cameras were there, but we support anything that provides safety for people in Alba Park. I guess video surveillance is becoming a greater part of our lives these days,” Richmond said. “I just hope these cameras are not used to target the homeless.”
Chad McComas, executive director of Rogue Retreat, a nonprofit that works to house the homeless, expressed support for the cameras as long as they aren’t used just to single out the homeless. He said drunken revelers leaving bars also cause problems downtown, and he hopes police will be able to better investigate those vandalism cases.
“To me a camera’s not a threat unless you’re doing something bad,” McComas said. “I don’t think any group of respectable citizens — homeless or not — would have a concern.”
Clauson said the cameras are watching for criminal activity, not homelessness.

“It’s not just the mere fact that they’re homeless — it’s the ones causing the disorderly behavior such as drinking in the park,” Clauson said.
Medford City Councilor Kevin Stine said he didn’t recall any discussions about the cameras prior to their installation, but said he supports cameras at parks, at intersections and on police as ways to make Medford “a little bit safer.”
“When there’s a watchful eye, people become more compliant,” Stine said. “We can’t possibly have police there 24/7, but if we have cameras there it gives us a fuller picture on activity happening.”
He said there’s limited expectations of privacy at a public park, but approves of police’s softer approach.
“This isn’t just about seeing someone playing in a public park,” Stine said. “It’s more like, there’s a tape.”
As the cameras have been installed for only about a week, Clauson said Medford police lacked data to determine results at Alba Park, but they’ve seen positive results from a camera mounted near the Ninth Street bridge — where transients gathered at the bridge had been harassing Rogue Community College students who parked at Almond Street.
“Our success story is at the Ninth Street bridge,” Clauson said. “That was an area we were getting a lot of complaints.”

Loitering problems dropped in that area, he said, and the camera assisted in corroborating a victim’s statements in a domestic violence case.
The three camera clusters in Medford are a small fraction compared to other cities. Grants Pass, for example, has 30 cameras.
“We’re a long way from having that kind of coverage,” Clauson said, adding that police are waiting for one-month and six-month crime statistics before they consider expanding the project.

[url=WestMedfordResidents/permalink/1581392961905826/?comment_id=1581395288572260][/url]
(07-31-2017, 02:55 PM)tvguy Wrote: So something like 12 years ago this forum was started as responses to articles in the mail Tribune.
But because the Tribune didn't want any part of the bickering and ugliness they dumped it

So now on any local Facebook site people can and do post articles from the MMT and anyone who wants can comment.

So how is this any different than what started this forum? Anyway if you are on FB and want to discuss the cameras that have been installed then you can join West Medfords FB site.

From the MMT.....
Two new security camera clusters focused on Alba Park are Medford police’s latest efforts to curb crime, though they insist that Big Brother isn’t watching.

Installed last week at the intersection of Eighth and Holly streets and down the road at Main and Holly are two camera clusters with conspicuous flashing blue lights, officially known as police observation devices, according to Deputy Chief Scott Clauson. The cameras feed into a digital video recorder at Medford’s police station, where footage is automatically stored for 30 days.
Though police have the capability to access footage remotely, no staff member is tasked with monitoring the video in real time, Clauson said. He described the cameras as a tool used for investigating crimes and said the faint blue light acts as a crime deterrent.
“It really seems to kind of push people out,” Clauson said.
The Rev. Murray Richmond, pastor at First Presbyterian Church of Medford, said he hadn’t noticed them before.
“We did not know that the cameras were there, but we support anything that provides safety for people in Alba Park. I guess video surveillance is becoming a greater part of our lives these days,” Richmond said. “I just hope these cameras are not used to target the homeless.”
Chad McComas, executive director of Rogue Retreat, a nonprofit that works to house the homeless, expressed support for the cameras as long as they aren’t used just to single out the homeless. He said drunken revelers leaving bars also cause problems downtown, and he hopes police will be able to better investigate those vandalism cases.
“To me a camera’s not a threat unless you’re doing something bad,” McComas said. “I don’t think any group of respectable citizens — homeless or not — would have a concern.”
Clauson said the cameras are watching for criminal activity, not homelessness.

“It’s not just the mere fact that they’re homeless — it’s the ones causing the disorderly behavior such as drinking in the park,” Clauson said.
Medford City Councilor Kevin Stine said he didn’t recall any discussions about the cameras prior to their installation, but said he supports cameras at parks, at intersections and on police as ways to make Medford “a little bit safer.”
“When there’s a watchful eye, people become more compliant,” Stine said. “We can’t possibly have police there 24/7, but if we have cameras there it gives us a fuller picture on activity happening.”
He said there’s limited expectations of privacy at a public park, but approves of police’s softer approach.
“This isn’t just about seeing someone playing in a public park,” Stine said. “It’s more like, there’s a tape.”
As the cameras have been installed for only about a week, Clauson said Medford police lacked data to determine results at Alba Park, but they’ve seen positive results from a camera mounted near the Ninth Street bridge — where transients gathered at the bridge had been harassing Rogue Community College students who parked at Almond Street.
“Our success story is at the Ninth Street bridge,” Clauson said. “That was an area we were getting a lot of complaints.”

Loitering problems dropped in that area, he said, and the camera assisted in corroborating a victim’s statements in a domestic violence case.
The three camera clusters in Medford are a small fraction compared to other cities. Grants Pass, for example, has 30 cameras.
“We’re a long way from having that kind of coverage,” Clauson said, adding that police are waiting for one-month and six-month crime statistics before they consider expanding the project.

[url=WestMedfordResidents/permalink/1581392961905826/?comment_id=1581395288572260][/url]
Pretty soon it's gonna be like London where a guy can't even take a whiz without the whole damn world watching. 

And...

It appears THIS forum is going way of the old MT Forum. Whatever...

Keep the water bowls full for the dogs, do what you need to do before 9AM, drink more water than beer, and remember to put on some pants if you have to go to the store. 

Don't tug on Superman's cape, and don't bet against the LA Dodgers. Damn bums! (Mrs Wonky is a Dodger fan and insists on reading the results of the sports page to me each morning. Sound like a woman who wants to be abused, don't you think?) 

I waiting for Chuck to tell me it's hot. 

I'm waiting for Cuzz to tell Chuck Sunny Valley is more sun than valley.

I'm waiting for GPNative to send Cuzz a Trump bumber sticker.  Razz 

And I'm waiting for Scrapper to sneeze. 

But mostly I'm like the guy "Waiting for Godot".  Sad
It's been my experience that any new surveillance measure is eventually used for your worst scenario regardless of the original intentions. Every time.

And Wonky , Sunny Valley is just a sales pitch like Lakeview, where there is neither a lake nor a view.
MT and other papers did not like the genie they had let out of the bottle and corked it back up again. But I remember, in it's heyday hearing about how much readership that forum had brought to the MT. But ultimately, it was more than they wanted to deal with.

Hey! TV! The WARS people are having a meet and greet. That should be funny.
(07-31-2017, 06:14 PM)Cuzz Wrote: It's been my experience that any new surveillance measure is eventually used for your worst scenario regardless of the original intentions. Every time.

I have no clue what you mean.
(07-31-2017, 06:30 PM)Juniper Wrote: MT and other papers did not like the genie they had let out of the bottle and corked it back up again. But I remember, in it's heyday hearing about how much readership that forum had brought to the MT. But ultimately, it was more than they wanted to deal with.

Well doesn't anyone see what I see. That after all of these there is again a Mail Tribune forum on Facebook... sort of.

My guess is all the wars far right people will be there to bolster their own Trump loving opinions.
But I would love to go wearing dreds , a tie died shirt with some torn up blue jeans and sandals.
(07-31-2017, 06:14 PM)Cuzz Wrote: It's been my experience that any new surveillance measure is eventually used for your worst scenario regardless of the original intentions. Every time.

And Wonky , Sunny Valley is just a sales pitch like Lakeview, where there is neither a lake nor a view.

Sunny Valley really is more sunnier then Grants Pass.
We get less fog
Hey Juniper. (Still Tia, as far as I'm concerned)

We need you to put up a new topic to kick-off some discussion.
Books?
Movies?
TV series and shows?
Good buys at 2nd hand stores?
Best beer in town?

Whatever. (As long as it's not the Best Foods/Miracle Whip thing)
(08-01-2017, 03:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Hey Juniper. (Still Tia, as far as I'm concerned)

Books?
Movies?
TV series and shows?
Best beer in town?

How bout those TV reality shows? Razz

I saw on Deadliest crab/catch that the waves were real big. It was cold and the crew had to work long and hard.

And on Swamp people they caught a really big gator and the one guy had to say.. shot em Clint" several times.

On Axe men a tree almost fell on a guy.

They caught a giant Tuna on wicked tuna.

On Alaska the last Frontier they have to hurry and do a lot of work before winter or they will starve. Never mind they are all multi millionaires who live 20 minutes away from a grocery store.

You just can't make this stuff up.Well OK you can but you don't have to.
(08-01-2017, 05:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 03:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Hey Juniper. (Still Tia, as far as I'm concerned)

Books?
Movies?
TV series and shows?
Best beer in town?

I saw on Deadliest crab/catch that the waves were real big. It was cold and the crew had to work long and hard.

And on Swamp people they caught a really big gator and the one guy had to say.. shot em Clint" several times.

On Alaska the last Frontier they have to hurry and do a lot of work before winter or they will starve. Never mind they are all multi millionaires who live 20 minutes away from a grocery store.

Sad Oh no! I missed 'em all.
(08-01-2017, 08:27 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Books?
Movies?
TV series and shows?
Best beer in town?

Sad Oh no! I missed 'em all.
  That's OK next week on Deadliest crab/catch  the waves will be real big. It will cold and the crew will have to work long and hard.

And on Swamp people they will really big gator and the one guy will say.. shot em Clint" several times.

On Axe men a tree will almost fell on a guy.

And on Swamp people they will catch  a really big gator and the one guy will say.. shot em Clint" several times

And On Axe men a tree will almost fall on a guy.
I caught a great tuna on the radio, now I can't get it out of my head.
(08-02-2017, 12:08 PM)chuck white Wrote: I caught a great tuna on the radio, now I can't get it out of my head.

Try.  Wink
(07-31-2017, 11:28 PM)chuck white Wrote:

We get less fog

Every location on the face of the earth gets less fog than GP.  Shit hole in the winter.  Drives me nuts....
(09-22-2017, 02:28 PM)BeerMe Wrote:

We get less fog

Every location on the face of the earth gets less fog than GP.  Shit hole in the winter.  Drives me nuts....

Stay away.  Wink If you can't, stay inside and get a sun lamp. Try therapy. Or drugs. Move to Sunny Valley?
(09-22-2017, 02:28 PM)BeerMe Wrote:

We get less fog

Not true, the real fog is in Merlin.

Books?
Movies?
TV series and shows?
Best beer in town?

I don't often post new topics here because they never take off. I guess my taste doesn't interest others.  *shrugs*

Books?
Movies?
TV series and shows?
Best beer in town?

Sometimes I watch reality shows but not often. I don't watch the talent shows either. In fact I'm thinking of dumping my cable, or dialing it back. But I always say that and never do. Embarrassed
(09-22-2017, 08:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Books?
Movies?
TV series and shows?
Best beer in town?

Sometimes I watch reality shows but not often. I don't watch the talent shows either. In fact I'm thinking of dumping my cable, or dialing it back. But I always say that and never do. Embarrassed

It's been awhile, since I even had access to cable. I recall it was spendy, for what little it gave me. I think dish network is cheaper, but I only had the big dish, back at the turn of the century. It was $15 / month back then

Then Netflicks game around at under $10 a month. I dropped that and watch you-tube for free.
(09-22-2017, 08:31 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 08:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Books?
Movies?
TV series and shows?
Best beer in town?

It's been awhile, since I even had access to cable. I recall it was spendy, for what little it gave me. I think dish network is cheaper, but I only had the big dish, back at the turn of the century. It was $15 / month back then

Then Netflicks game around at under $10 a month. I dropped that and watch you-tube for free.

I won't do Dish. They don't show programs I want to see, and when their dish didn't work for me, they reminded me I had signed a contract was still liable to pay them...so no.