This forum
(09-22-2017, 09:19 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 08:31 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 08:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 05:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 03:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Hey Juniper. (Still Tia, as far as I'm concerned)

We need you to put up a new topic to kick-off some discussion.
Books?
Movies?
TV series and shows?
Good buys at 2nd hand stores?
Best beer in town?

Whatever. (As long as it's not the Best Foods/Miracle Whip thing)
How bout those TV reality shows? Razz

I saw on Deadliest crab/catch that the waves were real big. It was cold and the crew had to work long and hard.

And on Swamp people they caught a really big gator and the one guy had to say.. shot em Clint" several times.

On Axe men a tree almost fell on a guy.

They caught a giant Tuna on wicked tuna.

On Alaska the last Frontier they have to hurry and do a lot of work before winter or they will starve. Never mind they are all multi millionaires who live 20 minutes away from a grocery store.

You just can't make this stuff up.Well OK you can but you don't have to.

Sometimes I watch reality shows but not often. I don't watch the talent shows either. In fact I'm thinking of dumping my cable, or dialing it back. But I always say that and never do. Embarrassed

It's been awhile, since I even had access to cable. I recall it was spendy, for what little it gave me. I think dish network is cheaper, but I only had the big dish, back at the turn of the century. It was $15 / month back then

Then Netflicks game around at under $10 a month. I dropped that and watch you-tube for free.

I won't do Dish. They don't show programs I want to see, and when their dish didn't work for me, they reminded me I had signed a contract was still liable to pay them...so no.

I hear ya. Last time I had Dish the antenna came loose and unaligned (they're guy installed it) and they wanted to charge me a service fee to fix it. I told them no thanks, it'll be cheaper to cancel the service. Never looked back.
(08-01-2017, 03:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Hey Juniper. (Still Tia, as far as I'm concerned)

Books?
Movies?
TV series and shows?
Best beer in town?

I saw on Deadliest crab/catch that the waves were real big. It was cold and the crew had to work long and hard.

And on Swamp people they caught a really big gator and the one guy had to say.. shot em Clint" several times.

On Alaska the last Frontier they have to hurry and do a lot of work before winter or they will starve. Never mind they are all multi millionaires who live 20 minutes away from a grocery store.

Sometimes I watch reality shows but not often. I don't watch the talent shows either. In fact I'm thinking of dumping my cable, or dialing it back. But I always say that and never do. Embarrassed

We finally had enough with direct TV. Our boxes are old and slow and a show we have been watching is being broadcast in 4K, and our equipment can't handle it.
So their response is to install all new equipment IF we paid for a new two year contract.
We told them to go pound sand and the Charter people are due to be here in the next hour.
(09-23-2017, 11:55 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Books?
Movies?
TV series and shows?
Best beer in town?

We finally had enough with direct TV. Our boxes are old and slow and a show we have been watching is being broadcast in 4K, and our equipment can't handle it.M
So their response is to install all new equipment IF we paid for a new two year contract.
We told them to go pound sand and the Charter people are due to be here in the next hour.
We've had Charter (Spectrum) forever. Recently Tia (sorry...Juniper) commented she was wondering if she could just give up the whole thing. Me too. But...

They got us by the short hairs. 

I feel I NEED the internet connection and don't have any other reasonable options. So, since I have their service I also signed up for the phone service (It's been okay). That leaves the TV. I looked into cutting down on some of the TV "extras" (HBO) I have but it really does not reduce the bill that much. I could go back to basic cable and get rid of the DVR but damn, I REALLY like that feature.  Embarrassed

What the hell. If I wasn't spending it on TV, etc, I'd be spending on meat and vegetables, and you know that stuff will plug up your system. (We mostly eat hamburger helper without the hamburger and keep hydrated with Mountain Dew. 
We do go out once in a while: Mostly KFC...we just get the biscuits and gravy and a large drink. The chicken will KILL you!  Laughing
I can't get over how antiquated Charter's equipment is compared to Xfinity.  It's crazy!  We pay the same amount for a cable, internet, phone bundle as my parents... but have so much more.  But the equipment alone... just so far behind the times.
(09-23-2017, 12:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Books?
Movies?
TV series and shows?
Best beer in town?

We finally had enough with direct TV. Our boxes are old and slow and a show we have been watching is being broadcast in 4K, and our equipment can't handle it.M
We've had Charter (Spectrum) forever. Recently Tia (sorry...Juniper) commented she was wondering if she could just give up the whole thing. Me too. But...

I feel I NEED the internet connection and don't have any other reasonable options. So, since I have their service I also signed up for the phone service (It's been okay). That leaves the TV. I looked into cutting down on some of the TV "extras" (HBO) I have but it really does not reduce the bill that much. I could go back to basic cable and get rid of the DVR but damn, I REALLY like that feature.  Embarrassed

What the hell. If I wasn't spending it on TV, etc, I'd be spending on meat and vegetables, and you know that stuff will plug up your system. (We mostly eat hamburger helper without the hamburger and keep hydrated with Mountain Dew. 
We do go out once in a while: Mostly KFC...we just get the biscuits and gravy and a large drink. The chicken will KILL you!  Laughing
Yeah I admit I am hooked, addicted. a monkey on my back. I got a Jones for TV. I'm a TV junkie and internet Junkie.
A few says ago my power was off for six hours.
I literally didn't know what to do. So I got my tablet out and watched Youtube Laughing Laughing Laughing
(09-23-2017, 03:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 05:14 PM)tvguy Wrote: How bout those TV reality shows? Razz

Yeah I admit I am hooked, addicted. a monkey on my back. I got a Jones for TV. I'm a TV junkie and internet Junkie.
I literally didn't know what to do. So I got my tablet out and watched Youtube Laughing Laughing Laughing

A good reason to have a paper book handy.
(09-23-2017, 07:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 08:01 PM)Juniper Wrote: Sometimes I watch reality shows but not often. I don't watch the talent shows either. In fact I'm thinking of dumping my cable, or dialing it back. But I always say that and never do. Embarrassed

Yeah, but not everybody is a book reader.
There's always radio
(09-24-2017, 07:07 AM)bbqboy Wrote: There's always radio

Not in Sunny Valley, I only get one station, Mozart and Beethoven kind of music.
I know they were hot, when Wonky went to high school, but I want something a bit more progressive.
Most libraries have books on cd that you can rent for free.  
Listen to the books while driving, riding a bike, walking, cooking, cleaning, sitting in a chair enjoying the fresh air.
(09-23-2017, 10:36 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 11:55 AM)tvguy Wrote: We finally had enough with direct TV. Our boxes are old and slow and a show we have been watching is being broadcast in 4K, and our equipment can't handle it.M

And not everyone is attracted to book reading, but we all should, at least for time to time, find that detailed information is best found between the covers of a printed book.
Only to your last century way of thinking.
I used to read a lot. Now I only read from time to time. But I never read printed books anymore. I prefer reading on my Kindle Fire. I can adjust the font size to suit my vision and I can read without a night light. You do not need a steady internet connection... and the battery life will get you through most temporary power outages.
(09-24-2017, 10:04 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 12:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: We've had Charter (Spectrum) forever. Recently Tia (sorry...Juniper) commented she was wondering if she could just give up the whole thing. Me too. But...

And not everyone is attracted to book reading, but we all should, at least for time to time, find that detailed information is best found between the covers of a printed book.

It doesn't matter. Some people just are not readers. It's not something they do or enjoy. Saying they "should" won't make it happen.  I was talking to someone about a film and I asked her if she had read the book, and of course suggested she read it. She told me that reading is difficult and not enjoyable for her. It isn't something she picks up for enjoyment or information.  Maybe it's hard for her.  This "should" business sounds a lot like a post you  made a long time ago saying people "should" be reading the Mail Tribune.   I do read the MT. I used to before when it was easier to read online, but not so much now. Sometimes I read the hard copy at work. But I usually don't.
(09-24-2017, 08:29 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Most libraries have books on cd that you can rent for free.  
Listen to the books while driving, riding a bike, walking, cooking, cleaning, sitting in a chair enjoying the fresh air.

CD???  I can't remember the last time I played a CD.  I certainly don't have a CD player in my car.   Laughing Laughing   But I have listened to some books on audiofiles.
[Image: 13731778_1069813499762349_63088880881775...e=5A51713E]
(09-23-2017, 12:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: We've had Charter (Spectrum) forever. Recently Tia (sorry...Juniper) commented she was wondering if she could just give up the whole thing. Me too. But...

Why?  And what detailed information do I need from a book?

I'm not even saying you are wrong. I'm really curious why I or anyone SHOULD read books?

If I wanted detailed info about trapping animals for instance. Would a book be better even with pictures than a video of a person actually trapping and skinning?

Or even if it's about history. Why is a book any better than a documentary about pyramids? I say that because I recently watched a show about ancient civilizations. Without the actual video of archeological digs and pyramids I don't see how a book even with photo's can compare.
(09-24-2017, 01:06 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 08:29 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Most libraries have books on cd that you can rent for free.  

CD???  I can't remember the last time I played a CD.  I certainly don't have a CD player in my car.   Laughing Laughing   But I have listened to some books on audiofiles.

I certainly don't have a CD player in my car.

Why "certainly"?
(09-24-2017, 01:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 03:54 PM)tvguy Wrote: Yeah I admit I am hooked, addicted. a monkey on my back. I got a Jones for TV. I'm a TV junkie and internet Junkie.

It doesn't matter. Some people just are not readers. It's not something they do or enjoy. Saying they "should" won't make it happen.  I was talking to someone about a film and I asked her if she had read the book, and of course suggested she read it. She told me that reading is difficult and not enjoyable for her. It isn't something she picks up for enjoyment or information.  Maybe it's hard for her.  This "should" business sounds a lot like a post you  made a long time ago saying people "should" be reading the Mail Tribune.   I do read the MT. I used to before when it was easier to read online, but not so much now. Sometimes I read the hard copy at work. But I usually don't.

I still think all adults (without disabilities) SHOULD read. 
Newspapers (both hometown and at least one national paper)
Magazines (Other than PEOPLE or US)
Books - including some nonfiction. 
Online content 
Highway signs
Directions on RX bottles.
(09-24-2017, 02:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 01:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 07:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: A good reason to have a paper book handy.

I still think all adults (without disabilities) SHOULD read. 
Newspapers (both hometown and at least one national paper)
Magazines (Other than PEOPLE or US)
Books - including some nonfiction. 
Online content 
Highway signs
Directions on RX bottles.
 The topic was a "paper book" That's what you said people "should" read. Not the newspapers ,although I do read the MMT every day but I can't understand why I should. I see the same local news on TV and any other news.

Anyway You didn't answer my question. You just repeated that people SHOULD and didn't say why.