This forum
(09-24-2017, 02:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 01:06 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 08:29 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Most libraries have books on cd that you can rent for free.  
Listen to the books while driving, riding a bike, walking, cooking, cleaning, sitting in a chair enjoying the fresh air.

CD???  I can't remember the last time I played a CD.  I certainly don't have a CD player in my car.   Laughing Laughing   But I have listened to some books on audiofiles.

I certainly don't have a CD player in my car.

Why "certainly"?

Cuz, it's old.  Big Grin
(09-24-2017, 02:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 10:04 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 10:36 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 07:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 03:54 PM)tvguy Wrote: Yeah I admit I am hooked, addicted. a monkey on my back. I got a Jones for TV. I'm a TV junkie and internet Junkie.
A few says ago my power was off for six hours.
I literally didn't know what to do. So I got my tablet out and watched Youtube Laughing Laughing Laughing

A good reason to have a paper book handy.

Yeah, but not everybody is a book reader.
And not everyone is attracted to book reading, but we all should, at least for time to time, find that detailed information is best found between the covers of a printed book.

Why?  And what detailed information do I need from a book?

I'm not even saying you are wrong. I'm really curious why I or anyone SHOULD read books?

If I wanted detailed info about trapping animals for instance. Would a book be better even with pictures than a video of a person actually trapping and skinning?

Or even if it's about history. Why is a book any better than a documentary about pyramids? I say that because I recently watched a show about ancient civilizations. Without the actual video of archeological digs and pyramids I don't see how a book even with photo's can compare.

One reason could be that books pack a lot more information in than documentaries.
(09-24-2017, 03:55 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 10:36 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 07:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: A good reason to have a paper book handy.

Yeah, but not everybody is a book reader.
And not everyone is attracted to book reading, but we all should, at least for time to time, find that detailed information is best found between the covers of a printed book.

I'm not even saying you are wrong. I'm really curious why I or anyone SHOULD read books?

If I wanted detailed info about trapping animals for instance. Would a book be better even with pictures than a video of a person actually trapping and skinning?

Or even if it's about history. Why is a book any better than a documentary about pyramids? I say that because I recently watched a show about ancient civilizations. Without the actual video of archeological digs and pyramids I don't see how a book even with photo's can compare.

One reason could be that books pack a lot more information in than documentaries.
 In the same amount of time?

Yes that makes sense. In school. Or If I wanted to read owners manuals LOL. Or if I was trying to get in to college I would read books on history or whatever but that's studying more than reading.

But If I wanted to learn about WW2 in two hours. What would be the most informational . A book or a documentary?

If a picture is worth a thousand words then what's a video worth LOL
(09-24-2017, 04:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 10:36 PM)Juniper Wrote: Yeah, but not everybody is a book reader.

Yes that makes sense. In school. Or If I wanted to read owners manuals LOL. Or if I was trying to get in to college I would read books on history or whatever but that's studying more than reading.

But If I wanted to learn about WW2 in two hours. What would be the most informational . A book or a documentary?

Oh, I'm not arguing your point, just sayin....
(09-24-2017, 04:09 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 10:04 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: And not everyone is attracted to book reading, but we all should, at least for time to time, find that detailed information is best found between the covers of a printed book.

I'd argue it. I doubt that there is a two hour documentary that will provide anywhere near the information found in "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich".
(09-24-2017, 04:28 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 02:21 PM)tvguy Wrote: Why?  And what detailed information do I need from a book?

I'd argue it. I doubt that there is a two hour documentary that will provide anywhere near the information found in "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich".
So you could read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich in two hours?
(09-24-2017, 04:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 03:55 PM)Juniper Wrote: One reason could be that books pack a lot more information in than documentaries.

Saw that coming a mile away
(09-24-2017, 03:55 PM)Juniper Wrote: One reason could be that books pack a lot more information in than documentaries.

I already said that, though, in a manner of speaking.
(09-24-2017, 05:41 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 04:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:  In the same amount of time?

Actually, I would absolutely equate reading a book to watching TV, but without the TV. But I like reading. That others don't like reading doesn't really bother me. That they can read is important for when they might need to. I only hope people are curious enough to find the information they should in the ways that work for them.
(09-24-2017, 06:04 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 05:41 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 04:09 PM)Juniper Wrote: Oh, I'm not arguing your point, just sayin....

Actually, I would absolutely equate reading a book to watching TV, but without the TV. But I like reading. That others don't like reading doesn't really bother me. That they can read is important for when they might need to. I only hope people are curious enough to find the information they should in the ways that work for them.

I like reading. I just don't sit and read books like I used to. I think I'm just impatient. I used to watch football on TV.
Any more it just doesn't hold my interest for two or more hours.

The question I have asked and still haven't seen a valid answer is why someone "SHOULD" read a BOOK.

I get the fact that reading increases ones vocabulary and helps spelling, sentence structure, grammar and such.
But I do read. A LOT.
Just not books. LOL.

BTW I used to have several Chiltons, and motor manuals and other books about car repair. I sold them all at my yard sale.
It's easier just go online and look it up. And very often there is a video to watch.

That says SO much about you!
(09-24-2017, 08:29 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Most libraries have books on cd that you can rent for free.  
Listen to the books while driving, riding a bike, walking, cooking, cleaning, sitting in a chair enjoying the fresh air.

CD???  I can't remember the last time I played a CD.  I certainly don't have a CD player in my car.     But I have listened to some books on audiofiles.
I can rent those through my local library as well.... online.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

CD???  I can't remember the last time I played a CD.  I certainly don't have a CD player in my car.     But I have listened to some books on audiofiles.

Why "certainly"?
My Tahoe has one... it holds 6 cd's.

I've never owned a car new enough to have a CD Player. I like cassette decks.
3 different 90's cars right now. Smiling
(09-24-2017, 09:04 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

No it says so much about you either not following what I said OR making a horrible analogy.
Or just bobbing and weaving instead of actually commenting on what I said or what I asked.
(09-24-2017, 09:56 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I've never owned a car new enough to have a  CD Player. I like cassette decks.
3 different 90's cars right  now. Smiling

My car does have a cassestte deck. but it doesn't play. Sad
(09-24-2017, 09:23 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Why "certainly"?
My Tahoe has one... it holds 6 cd's.

Well, of course it does!  That's because you drive cars that aren't older than dirt, dear. Smiling

Really?  Like what?
(09-24-2017, 09:22 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

I can rent those through my local library as well.... online.

It's true you can get audiofiles...not sure if I've every looked into doing that.   Hmmmm.
(09-25-2017, 06:32 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 04:09 PM)Juniper Wrote: Oh, I'm not arguing your point, just sayin....

Really?  Like what?

Like he is willing to devote only 2 hours to learning anything, I guess?