Does anyone else have this feature on their PC
I know there is a Firefox "update" that is going around. No matter how real it looks, I never click on those. I go to the actual site and see if my PC is behind on updates. It never is.
(08-14-2017, 07:31 PM)argonman Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 01:46 PM)tvguy Wrote: Today I woke up to find this new feature that highlights words or even terms that I may need help understanding.
Apparently this came with my latest update. I don't think I'm going to like it.

[Image: 14e6z5v.jpg]

Definitely spyware / malware.  I would recommend CCleaner, Spybot Search and Destroy if still available and Malware Bytes Free Edition.

HiJackThis is nice, but if you don't know what you're dong, you can damage your registry.

But this is definitely bad.

$75 if you need or want me to clean it all up cuz chances are, you got more than just this...
Thanks. It's possible but unlikely that I'll need your expertise. I've managed to muddle through this kind of issue and many others for over 20 years. That's with two PC's running and I've never had to take one to get it cleaned up.
Actually I'm kind of proud of that Big Grin
(08-17-2017, 01:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 01:46 PM)tvguy Wrote: Today I woke up to find this new feature that highlights words or even terms that I may need help understanding.

Definitely spyware / malware.  I would recommend CCleaner, Spybot Search and Destroy if still available and Malware Bytes Free Edition.

HiJackThis is nice, but if you don't know what you're dong, you can damage your registry.

$75 if you need or want me to clean it all up cuz chances are, you got more than just this...
Thanks. It's possible but unlikely that I'll need your expertise. I've managed to muddle through this kind of issue and many others for over 20 years. That's with two PC's running and I've never had to take one to get it cleaned up.

Holy crap! You've had the same two PC's for twenty years!   Twitch Laughing 

Actually I shouldn't tease about that. I think I still have a 286 around here somewhere. I have no idea why. Rolling Eyes
(08-17-2017, 01:37 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 01:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Holy crap! You've had the same two PC's for twenty years!   Twitch Laughing 

Actually I shouldn't tease about that. I think I still have a 286 around here somewhere. I have no idea why. Rolling Eyes

No not the same PC's. I've just had to deal with issues and have always had two computers. Not the same ones.
But I do get a lot of mileage. This PC is 10 years old, windows Vista. Razz   It's had the blue screen of death a few times and "critical errors" so I'm having to give it CPR and an occasional shot of Naloxone more and more.
Last option: A MAC. 
I've had a number of PC's, and used them at work for years. 
My son talked me into a MAC BOOK PRO after I retired and I prefer it to the PC. (Still have a PC that is working but seldom used. Have some files I've been procrastinating in backing up to a separate drive.)

But I'm not an evangelist about it. If you like the PC stay with it. And, Microsoft is now (or about to) start making not only software but some hardware too. A column in CNET recently, praised Microsofts improvement in software development.
I think you should use MB. Everyone on every site I've ever been on has always suggested Malwarebytes in the top two of their lists. I've used the free edition for years, but bought the premium last year because they offered me a deal (1 year, 2 PC for $29.99) and my wife runs our business with her laptop that gets attacked often. She uses Yahoo on a regular basis against my continued advice.  Rolling Eyes  

I think the free version removes problems just as well, but the premium blocks crap in real time and scans faster.
(08-17-2017, 02:29 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I think you should use MB. Everyone on every site I've ever been on has always suggested Malwarebytes in the top two of their lists. I've used the free edition for years, but bought the premium last year because they offered me a deal (1 year, 2 PC for $29.99) and my wife runs our business with her laptop that gets attacked often. She uses Yahoo on a regular basis against my continued advice.  Rolling Eyes  

I think the free version removes problems just as well, but the premium blocks crap in real time and scans faster.

Sounds good. I need something. My PC crashed and I lost every photo I had that was not saved one way or another.
So at that point I didn't think it was going to last and wasn't worth spending any money on any kind of protection.

Amazingly I've gone a hell of a long time with nothing and didn't have problems until now.
And actually at this point I think I have gotten rid of whatever was on my PC.
I'm getting a new one really soon Smiling
(08-17-2017, 02:20 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Last option: A MAC. 
My son talked me into a MAC BOOK PRO after I retired and I prefer it to the PC. (Still have a PC that is working but seldom used. Have some files I've been procrastinating in backing up to a separate drive.)

But I'm not an evangelist about it. If you like the PC stay with it. And, Microsoft is now (or about to) start making not only software but some hardware too. A column in CNET recently, praised Microsofts improvement in software development.

Thanks but I'm going to stick with what I'm familiar with. Smiling Besides unless it's operator error your Mac seems to have a few issues if I remember right.
Have some files I've been procrastinating in backing up to a separate drive.)

You could just put them on a flash drive. They are only 5 or ten bucks, I assume price is depending on how much storage they have.
My guess is the 5 dollar one could store what you want to save. The only "files" I want to save are my pictures.
And I have then on Photobucket. Smiling
(08-17-2017, 02:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Thanks but I'm going to stick with what I'm familiar with. Smiling Besides unless it's operator error your Mac seems to have a few issues if I remember right.

You could just put them on a flash drive. They are only 5 or ten bucks, I assume price is  depending on how much storage they have.
My guess is the 5 dollar one could store what you want to save. The only "files" I want to save are my pictures.
Some of the files I've delayed in backing up are on the "old" PC and there were lot's of photos, so ate up lots of space. I know they make some thumb drives with a lot more memory now: Good point, I'll check it out. Or maybe just delete a bunch of pictures. I can't takes photo's worth a crap...my default "frame" is to cut peoples heads off.  Sad
(08-17-2017, 03:17 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

You could just put them on a flash drive. They are only 5 or ten bucks, I assume price is  depending on how much storage they have.
Some of the files I've delayed in backing up are on the "old" PC and there were lot's of photos, so ate up lots of space. I know they make some thumb drives with a lot more memory now: Good point, I'll check it out. Or maybe just delete a bunch of pictures. I can't takes photo's worth a crap...my default "frame" is to cut peoples heads off.  Sad

I should come to you for my portraits!   Big Grin
(08-17-2017, 03:30 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 03:17 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I should come to you for my portraits!   Big Grin
You don't want folks to see your face?
It wouldn't matter...I'd have it so out of focus no one would recognize you anyway. 
TVguy takes excellent photos! Must be something to that old adage that often folks who are kind of dull have one skill they seem to excel at.  Razz Razz