Our President and the Media
Yesterday (8/16) the president returned to Trump Towers and announced he was meeting with his cabinet and others to review and discuss problems and solutions about "Infrastructure". 

He agreed to answer questions from the assembled press. 

The press immediately pounced on the events at Charlottesville, statues, the flag, groups of different attitudes and views, etc. 

And of course Mr. Trump did not deflect these questions and insist on answering questions about the Infrastructure: He "went postal" (so to speak) and ranted at length about his views that were all over the map. 

I wonder: Should the press be more focused and agree to "stay on point" about the subject at hand? It was almost like they "baited" the president and took him of course about a subject important to the entire nation. 

Still...the president could have refused questions about Charlottesville and kept things on point. 

Things are getting strange. 

Just an observation: Wondering what others think would be appropriate.
(08-17-2017, 08:22 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Yesterday (8/16) the president returned to Trump Towers and announced he was meeting with his cabinet and others to review and discuss problems and solutions about "Infrastructure". 

The press immediately pounced on the events at Charlottesville, statues, the flag, groups of different attitudes and views, etc. 

And of course Mr. Trump did not deflect these questions and insist on answering questions about the Infrastructure: He "went postal" (so to speak) and ranted at length about his views that were all over the map. 

I wonder: Should the press be more focused and agree to "stay on point" about the subject at hand? It was almost like they "baited" the president and took him of course about a subject important to the entire nation. 

Still...the president could have refused questions about Charlottesville and kept things on point. 

I don't think it would matter, Trump has a tendency to ramble on his own. He seems to have a short attention span, can't finish one thing before his off on something else.
(08-17-2017, 08:55 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(08-17-2017, 08:22 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Yesterday (8/16) the president returned to Trump Towers and announced he was meeting with his cabinet and others to review and discuss problems and solutions about "Infrastructure". 

I don't think it would matter, Trump has a tendency to ramble on his own. He seems to have a short attention span, can't finish one thing before his off on something else.
Yeah, well that was not exactly news to me. 
MY point was about the reporters. THEY went off message in that this meeting was about INFRASTRUCTURE, one of our nations most important issues and one that is not going to be easily solved. But the press wanted "the good stuff" so baited him knowing full well he would go off point and on a rant.
What we did NOT learn much about was how his cabinet and others plan to present options dealing with our crumbling infrastructure. 
Often we learn this kind of stuff from the press. Not this time.  Sad
(08-17-2017, 02:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

MY point was about the reporters. THEY went off message in that this meeting was about INFRASTRUCTURE, one of our nations most important issues and one that is not going to be easily solved. But the press wanted "the good stuff" so baited him knowing full well he would go off point and on a rant.
What we did NOT learn much about was how his cabinet and others plan to present options dealing with our crumbling infrastructure. 

I don't know why you expected something different. Trump has not been keen to talk to the press since he took office, except on his own terms. If he, or his administration won't provide answers for the news cycle the press will keep asking. It's just their job. You should know that.

As for his infrastructure plan, if past is any indication, it can't be good. If he has one.
Wonky, A little more decorum wouldn't hurt. Therefore I think the press should heed your advice and at least ask a few questions on the intended subject of the press conference. In their defence, he does have a way of slithering away from the tough questions when given a chance....

MY point was about the reporters. THEY went off message in that this meeting was about INFRASTRUCTURE,

I agree but in the past when they did that our presidents simply ignored the ones who were asking questions that were off topic.
I guess Trump should have done the same.
(08-17-2017, 03:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:

MY point was about the reporters. THEY went off message in that this meeting was about INFRASTRUCTURE,

I agree but in the past when they did that our presidents simply ignored the ones who were asking questions that were off topic.
I guess Trump should have done the same.

He CAN'T! The press are "enablers".  Razz