Really?
I freaking doubt it.

[Image: 20841040_10154804468732747_2664172414088...e=5A15AAF3]
I freaking doubt it too.  Smiling
(08-19-2017, 12:27 AM)Valuesize Wrote: I freaking doubt it too.  Smiling

You are a doubter! (Seems to be, I remember you doubted Presidents trump being born in the USA  Razz )

I'm a believer. We bought some Polaroid sunglasses for Mrs. Wonkys cat two years ago. I, on the other hand bark at the moon and don't feel threatened. 

I'm going to watch the eclipse as a rerun on FOX news. The hell with glasses.
(08-19-2017, 08:07 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

You are a doubter! (Seems to be, I remember you doubted Presidents trump being born in the USA  Razz )

I'm a believer. We bought some Polaroid sunglasses for Mrs. Wonkys cat two years ago. I, on the other hand bark at the moon and don't feel threatened. 

I got some of those glasses. I decided to test them ahead of the eclipse but they must be broke. I can't see the TV at all with them on. Geek
Quote:"On a normal day, your pets don't try to look at the sun, and therefore don't damage their eyes.  And on this day, they're not going to do it, either," Angela Speck, director of astronomy and a professor of astrophysics at the University of Missouri, said at a news conference with NASA on June 21 in Washington, D.C.
"It's not a concern, letting them [pets] outside," Speck said. "I'm not going to worry about my cat."
However, Speck noted that the eclipse might affect the behavior of certain animals. For instance, as the sky darkens, farm animals such as cattle may think nighttime is approaching and thus may decide to head back to the barn, she said.
In addition, insects and frogs might start chirping, just as they do during dusk on summer nights. Birds may also be fooled into thinking it's nightfall, and may start "making lots of noise [to] show you that they're getting ready to go to bed," Speck said. [Sleep Tight! Snoozing Animals Gallery]
Even certain plants may furl or unfurl, just as they regularly do as darkness falls, she said.
https://www.livescience.com/59628-how-so...-pets.html
(08-19-2017, 08:44 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 08:07 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I got some of those glasses. I decided to test them ahead of the eclipse but they must be broke. I can't see the TV at all with them on. Geek

Don't you hate that! My welding glasses don't work worth a damn for watching TV. They were spendy and I'm thinking of suing. (Everybody else does). I bought some contact lens at a yard sale and can't see crap with 'em but they are bright blue and Mrs. Wonky says they make me look like the late Paul Newman. (Then she laughs like hell...I swear, she has a screw loose)
Do I need a filter, if I use my binoculars?
Our dog died a year a go. But I'm 100% certain that if he were here and I said "Barney! Don't look at the sun!" He'd continue to look stupidly, and lovingly into my face and slobber a little more happily because I talking to him and using his name. Smiling
(08-20-2017, 08:38 AM)chuck white Wrote: Do I need a filter, if I use my binoculars?

That's beyond rhetorical. 

There will, no doubt, be folks who's eyes are injured beyond repair when they don't use proper precautions in viewing this thing. 

The Darwin effect?

Let's just hope it's not some 8 year olds who don't have adequate parental supervision. 

Then too, there are bound to be some folks who insist this is a scientific hoax fostered by the MAINSTREAM MEDIA, and that God controls the sun and we all know the sun shines during the day....always has, always will. 

It will be curious to hear the remarks president Trump will make about this event. He does not like events that steal his time from the news cycle. 

PBS is floating helium balloons high into the sky to photograph the shadow on the surface of the earth. I look forward to that and won't be looking at the sky tomorrow (Monday the 21). 
And greedy people will make money providing spaces for tourists who have the disposable income to come to Oregon (and other places) to view it simply because they can afford it. 

A seldom seen two minute event that will change nothing. 

Maybe better that the wealthy travel to the ice caps of the North Pole and witness what is happening there. 
Or travel to Afghanistan and witness the horrors the Taliban force on the their own people. 
Or take a road trip to Appalachia and rent a Single Wide for a week and see how the other half lives. 

They are clogging up our highways for a two minute look at a a dark shadow. 

You know, Chuck, you may be right: They should look at it with field glasses.
The last total eclipse Oregon saw was nothing like this. What a difference 38 years makes.   Eyebrows
(08-20-2017, 09:20 AM)Cuzz Wrote: The last total eclipse Oregon saw was nothing like this. What a difference 38 years makes.   Eyebrows

That's what my sister was saying last night.
(08-20-2017, 10:51 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 09:20 AM)Cuzz Wrote: The last total eclipse Oregon saw was nothing like this. What a difference 38 years makes.   Eyebrows

That's what my sister was saying last night.

Interesting to ponder, "just why?"
(08-20-2017, 09:15 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 08:38 AM)chuck white Wrote: Do I need a filter, if I use my binoculars?

There will, no doubt, be folks who's eyes are injured beyond repair when they don't use proper precautions in viewing this thing. 

The Darwin effect?

Let's just hope it's not some 8 year olds who don't have adequate parental supervision. 

Then too, there are bound to be some folks who insist this is a scientific hoax fostered by the MAINSTREAM MEDIA, and that God controls the sun and we all know the sun shines during the day....always has, always will. 

It will be curious to hear the remarks president Trump will make about this event. He does not like events that steal his time from the news cycle. 

PBS is floating helium balloons high into the sky to photograph the shadow on the surface of the earth. I look forward to that and won't be looking at the sky tomorrow (Monday the 21). 
And greedy people will make money providing spaces for tourists who have the disposable income to come to Oregon (and other places) to view it simply because they can afford it. 

Maybe better that the wealthy travel to the ice caps of the North Pole and witness what is happening there. 
Or travel to Afghanistan and witness the horrors the Taliban force on the their own people. 
Or take a road trip to Appalachia and rent a Single Wide for a week and see how the other half lives. 

Wow Wonky you sure are a wet blanket Laughing a two minute look at a a dark shadow

With a total eclipse you should see the corona of the sun, Gas exploding off the surface. I've never heard anyone who actually witnessed theses events describe is as being as boring as you think.
And seem to want to downplay this and act as if the rich are taking the eclipse away from the poor? Rolling Eyes

And you won't even bother to step outside to take a look??
(08-20-2017, 01:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:

The Darwin effect?

Wow Wonky you sure are a wet blanket Laughing a two minute look at a a dark shadow

With a total eclipse you should see the corona of the sun, Gas exploding off the surface. I've never heard anyone who actually witnessed theses events describe is as being as boring as you think.
And seem to want to downplay this and act as if the rich are taking the eclipse away from the poor? Rolling Eyes

I know.  Embarrassed  I should be more interested. I didn't even watch John Glen land on the moon. (But have seen it lot's of times).
About "the rich taking the eclipse away from the poor". Yep. If folks of limited means want to travel and see it in real time they better be able to drive there, find a place to park, and get out of Dodge. Most folks can't afford to stay overnight...even in a vacant lot. 
But I already said that in a post above. 
As clearly as I could.
And yet again, you want to argue the point. Thing is, my opinion is at least somewhat fact based on the stuff I read in the news. Maybe you are aware of things I'm not. Feel free to post it. 
So yeah, I'm not fond of the greed that pops up around events like this. 
Still, I take your point about witnessing a rare event. I just can't afford it.
You going? 
I'd bet not. 
So, you too will miss "corona of the sun, Gas exploding off the surface". 
Life is hard.  Razz
(08-20-2017, 01:31 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

The Darwin effect?

I know.  Embarrassed  I should be more interested. I didn't even watch John Glen land on the moon. (But have seen it lot's of times).
About "the rich taking the eclipse away from the poor". Yep. If folks of limited means want to travel and see it in real time they better be able to drive there, find a place to park, and get out of Dodge. Most folks can't afford to stay overnight...even in a vacant lot. 
As clearly as I could.
And yet again, you want to argue the point. Thing is, my opinion is at least somewhat fact based on the stuff I read in the news. Maybe you are aware of things I'm not. Feel free to post it. 
You going? 
I'd bet not.
Life is hard.  Razz
First of all I pointed out that a LOT of what you call poor people have indeed made it to places to watch the eclipse.

And yet again, you want to argue the point

OH I see because what you think must be right and set in stone. If I disagree then I just want to argue?

There shouldn't be an argument no one had to be rich to travel and see the eclipse. You just made that up when you saw a few motels with inflated prices.

Secondly I said.... "And you won't even bother to step outside to take a look??"
From there you talk about driving to the Eclipse path? I just said "step outside".

You just think you can't. I have friends who undoubtedly have a lot less money that you who are there now and waiting.

Thing is, my opinion is at least somewhat fact based on the stuff I read in the news. Maybe you are aware of things I'm not. Feel free to post it.

I just did.
(08-20-2017, 01:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:

The Darwin effect?

As clearly as I could.
You going? 
I'd bet not.
Life is hard.  Razz
First of all I pointed out that a LOT of what you call poor people have indeed made it to places to watch the eclipse.

OH I see because what you think must be right and set in stone. If I disagree then I just want to argue?

There shouldn't be an argument no one had to be rich to travel and see the eclipse. You just made that up when you saw a few motels with inflated prices.

Secondly I said.... "And you won't even bother to step outside to take a look??"
From there you talk about driving to the Eclipse path? I just said "step outside".

You just think you can't. I have friends who undoubtedly have a lot less money that you who are there now and waiting.

Thing is, my opinion is at least somewhat fact based on the stuff I read in the news. Maybe you are aware of things I'm not. Feel free to post it.

I just did.

Okay. "The Mainstream Media" got me again.  Laughing

Things I read were pretty clear that space (even to park) was at a premium in places like Madras, and that if one wants to see the "real thing" we won't see it in Medford. 
So go. But acknowledge the greed of many, if not most, of the people who have space where one can stay. 
Or maybe not.
Damn "Mainstream Media"!
I'm not personally all that interested in seeing the eclipse. I was until recently like you believing that a total eclipse is just a shadow. And that our 97% of totality is good enough.
But when it's 100% it's actually the only time we can ever see the suns corona. And for many it's a VERY rare and spectacular celestial event.

Still I would like to see the total eclipse. But I would definitely not want to fight the traffic and crowds enough to bother.
(08-20-2017, 02:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 01:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-20-2017, 09:15 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: That's beyond rhetorical. 

The Darwin effect?

As clearly as I could.
You going? 
I'd bet not.
Life is hard.  Razz

I just did.

Okay. "The Mainstream Media" got me again.  Laughing

Things I read were pretty clear that space (even to park) was at a premium in places like Madras, and that if one wants to see the "real thing" we won't see it in Medford. 
So go. But acknowledge the greed of many, if not most, of the people who have space where one can stay. 
Or maybe not.
Damn "Mainstream Media"!
Things I read were pretty clear that space (even to park) was at a premium in places like Madras,

Well of course. Places to park were at a premium for the Country crossing festival too.
Inflated prices for camping or motels don't by any means make it true that the poor can't get to see the eclipse.
(08-20-2017, 09:15 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: And greedy people will make money providing spaces for tourists who have the disposable income to come to Oregon (and other places) to view it simply because they can afford it. 

Laughing Laughing  Oh my God you such a Socialist fucking hack.
LOL It's called Capitalism. I thought I'd buy some extra glasses back in October with an eye on selling them at the eleventh hour for a profit. In the end I just told strangers I had them and they could have them for free if they wanted them. Everyone gave me a bit of money not much though. I totally undercut some of the competition! But to be fair, nobody took them for free. Everyone offered me something. I don't think it's in my blood. Big Grin Big Grin On the other hand, I didn't just put them in a box and put it out saying free glasses! Big Grin Big Grin