The left have lost their collective minds
(08-28-2017, 08:08 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 07:09 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 06:59 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 06:24 PM)Juniper Wrote: Here's a good example of lumping all the left into a category. This is from a FB discussion, and of course the poster is what I would call alt right and it's a very close version of how he would describe anything 'left', although in this case it's a discussion about cobalt mining in Africa:

"The green community doesn't give a shit, many of them believe in depopulation to save the planet and would gladly kill off those who politically don't align with them to meet their goals"

What part of that is untrue?

A piss poor example, if you ask me.  The author never says "ALL" and never says "LEFT" in your quote, so I see you reaching on this one.
[url=https://grammarly.go2cloud.org/aff_c?offer_id=3&aff_id=10273][/url]Merriam Webster
Definition of many

1. 1 :  consisting of or amounting to a large but indefinite number worked for [i]many years[/i] the [i]many advantages of an education[/i]
  2. 2 :  being one of a large but indefinite number [i]many a man[/i] [i]many another student[/i]

Definition of large

a :  exceeding most other things of like kind especially in quantity or size :  
b :  dealing in great numbers or quantities

I'll only help you so much. You should be able to figure this out for yourself.

Thank you so much for clarifying.  I do believe that MANY of the GREEN EXTREMISTS on this planet feel that HUMANS are the sole evil perpetuated on this world, and if not for HUMANS, the planet would live in harmony forever and ever.  Given that I believe that to be their mindset, it is not a stretch to believe that they want OTHER people who think differently to die first.  Why do I think that? Because if they believed anything else, they would have killed themselves by now, to help their firm "belief" that humans are evil. 

Now, more to the point, you said NOTHING to the actual points in my post to Tia.  Nothing.  She used a quote to prove something about the alt right "lumping" all things left, and the quote said neither of those things.

"and if not for HUMANS, the planet would live in harmony forever and ever"

Not sure what you mean by the planet living in harmony but yes human beings are the single biggest reason for our planets decline as far as pollution, deforestation and over harvesting of plants and animals.
Humans are virtually killing the life on this planet. It's not because we are all evil. It's because we are just now learning what industry is doing to our environment.
(08-29-2017, 12:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 06:59 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 06:24 PM)Juniper Wrote: Here's a good example of lumping all the left into a category. This is from a FB discussion, and of course the poster is what I would call alt right and it's a very close version of how he would describe anything 'left', although in this case it's a discussion about cobalt mining in Africa:

"The green community doesn't give a shit, many of them believe in depopulation to save the planet and would gladly kill off those who politically don't align with them to meet their goals"

What part of that is untrue?

A piss poor example, if you ask me.  The author never says "ALL" and never says "LEFT" in your quote, so I see you reaching on this one.
[url=https://grammarly.go2cloud.org/aff_c?offer_id=3&aff_id=10273][/url]Merriam Webster
Definition of many

1. 1 :  consisting of or amounting to a large but indefinite number worked for [i]many years[/i] the [i]many advantages of an education[/i]
  2. 2 :  being one of a large but indefinite number [i]many a man[/i] [i]many another student[/i]

Definition of large

Thank you so much for clarifying.  I do believe that MANY of the GREEN EXTREMISTS on this planet feel that HUMANS are the sole evil perpetuated on this world, and if not for HUMANS, the planet would live in harmony forever and ever.  Given that I believe that to be their mindset, it is not a stretch to believe that they want OTHER people who think differently to die first.  Why do I think that? Because if they believed anything else, they would have killed themselves by now, to help their firm "belief" that humans are evil. 

Now, more to the point, you said NOTHING to the actual points in my post to Tia.  Nothing.  She used a quote to prove something about the alt right "lumping" all things left, and the quote said neither of those things.

Not sure what you mean by the planet living in harmony but yes human beings are the single biggest reason for our planets decline as far as pollution, deforestation and over harvesting of plants and animals.
Humans are virtually killing the life on this planet. It's not because we are all evil. It's because we are just now learning what industry is doing to our environment.

Apparently a large portion are incapable of learning.
(08-29-2017, 01:18 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 06:59 PM)Hugo Wrote: What part of that is untrue?

Definition of many

Definition of large

A large portion see environmentalism as political. A lot of people put business before our environment.
Some actually mock those of us who actually do care.
(08-29-2017, 01:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 08:08 PM)Hugo Wrote: [quote='Cuzz' pid='394477' dateline='1503972574']
Definition of many

Definition of large

A large portion see environmentalism as political. A lot of people put business before our environment.
[/quote yea.....]No money to be made with the "environment" lmao!!!!!!!!!!!! Just goes to prove there is a fool born every day!!!! Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
(08-29-2017, 02:24 PM)capitalist pig Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 01:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 07:09 PM)Cuzz Wrote: [url=https://grammarly.go2cloud.org/aff_c?offer_id=3&aff_id=10273][/url]Merriam Webster
Definition of many

Definition of large

[/quote yea.....]No money to be made with the "environment"    lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just goes to prove there is a fool born every day!!!! Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
You prove that with almost every post you make.

You could have simply said that there is money to be made with energy saving products and even environmentally based businesses can be more interested in making cash that our environment. I would agree with that.
https://www.westernjournalism.com/orches...over-time/

Quote:Of course covering up truth is the Democrats’ modus operandi, as we saw with Hillary Clinton, who tried to conceal some of her own underhanded and illegal activities by crushing hard drives and other devices with a hammer and then allegedly lying to Congress. This is how they do business: lies, deceptions and cover-ups.

In the meantime, on liberal college campuses across America, many progressive-democratic history professors are quietly rewriting the history books and courses to reflect a more lovable Democratic party.

Now, as a part of a well-orchestrated deception of many Americans, and using many media outlets (CNN is just a shill for these new fascists) controlled by progressives, Democrats are engaging their thugs to enforce their will upon the people as did Hitler prior to the outbreak of World War II. America may now be witnessing its own destruction from within. And when peer pressure and psychology fail, without any hesitation they resort to unbridled violence against anyone who opposes their views. So who are the real fascists?

Truth.
(09-01-2017, 09:00 AM)Hugo Wrote: https://www.westernjournalism.com/orches...over-time/

Quote:Of course covering up truth is the Democrats’ modus operandi, as we saw with Hillary Clinton, who tried to conceal some of her own underhanded and illegal activities by crushing hard drives and other devices with a hammer and then allegedly lying to Congress. This is how they do business: lies, deceptions and cover-ups.

In the meantime, on liberal college campuses across America, many progressive-democratic history professors are quietly rewriting the history books and courses to reflect a more lovable Democratic party.

Now, as a part of a well-orchestrated deception of many Americans, and using many media outlets (CNN is just a shill for these new fascists) controlled by progressives, Democrats are engaging their thugs to enforce their will upon the people as did Hitler prior to the outbreak of World War II. America may now be witnessing its own destruction from within. And when peer pressure and psychology fail, without any hesitation they resort to unbridled violence against anyone who opposes their views. So who are the real fascists?

Truth.
Some of it's true but most is totally exaggerated. Not surprising coming from a prepper who is so afraid of a magnetic pulse shutting down our world as we know it. He thinks he needs to hide on 500,000 dollar ship in the middle of the ocean.
I think he's a genius but also a nut.
I'm not sure what I think of this. Laura Ingalls Wilder’s name removed from award because books include “expressions of stereotypical attitudes”.https://www.ajc.com/news/national/laura-ingalls-wilder-name-removed-from-award-because-books-include-expressions-stereotypical-attitudes/7sUFuUgFflmb69gZkba9mK/ I'm sure very sure people in this place care or even read this book series, but everyone has heard of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Her books were "fiction" but also autobiographical and contained factual and historical accounts. They actually are very interesting in that respect. And yes, they do have terrible racist slurs and attitudes. Terrible jokes about the Irish and demeaning remarks about race and culture. I think in one book she talks about on the unsettled prairie there were no 'people, only Indians.' ! Big Grin The comments are so bald faced as to be shocking and amusing at the same time. It's a bit like Twain's books being controversial for their depictions of blacks, (er African Americans). I'd like to see it as an opportunity for learning for children to discuss changing times and attitudes, but I guess that's too much to ask.
(06-28-2018, 07:39 PM)Juniper Wrote: I'm not sure what I think of this.  Laura Ingalls Wilder’s name removed from award because books include “expressions of stereotypical attitudes”.https://www.ajc.com/news/national/laura-ingalls-wilder-name-removed-from-award-because-books-include-expressions-stereotypical-attitudes/7sUFuUgFflmb69gZkba9mK/   I'm sure very sure people in this place care or even read this book series, but everyone has heard of Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Her books were "fiction" but also autobiographical and contained factual and historical accounts.  They actually are very interesting in that respect. And yes, they do have terrible racist slurs and attitudes. Terrible jokes about the Irish and demeaning remarks about race and culture. I think in one book she talks about on the unsettled prairie there were no 'people, only Indians.' !  Big Grin   The comments are so bald faced as to be shocking and amusing at the same time.  It's a bit like Twain's books being controversial for their depictions of blacks, (er African Americans).  I'd like to see it as an opportunity for learning for children to discuss changing times and attitudes, but I guess that's too much to ask.
Cleaning up history is wrong. Ignoring or hiding her writings because people in the book were racist is wrong. People were what they were.
Just because her characters in the books attitude or opinions  differ from most us us now should not mean we should hide or not respect her books. Anyway it was interesting reading about this.
The comment you mentioned about Indians not being "people" was a comment made in the book by her father and quite possibly could have been exactly what he said.

While passages within Wilder's work reflect many attitudes of the era, the section of literature most often cited in this debate is from the 1935 story "Going West," about a pioneering family. 

In the book, the character "Pa" explains the land his family is seeking: “there were no people. Only Indians lived there.”
In 1953, Wilder changed the passage to say, "there were no settlers there. Only Indians lived there."

If the comment was removed why are they still bitching about it?

Laura Ingalls Wilder was on the brink of having an award named in her honor, from the Association for Library Service to Children, when in 1952 a reader complained to the publisher of “Little House on the Prairie” about what the reader found to be a deeply offensive statement about Native Americans.

The reader pointed specifically to the book’s opening chapter, “Going West.” The 1935 tale of the pioneering family seeking unvarnished, unoccupied land opens with a character named Pa, modeled after Wilder’s own father, who tells of his desire to go “where the wild animals lived without being afraid.” Where “the land was level, and there were no trees.”
And where “there were no people. Only Indians lived there.”

The editor at Harper’s who received the reader’s complaint wrote back saying it was “unbelievable” to her that not a single person at Harper’s ever noticed, for nearly 20 years, that the sentence appeared to imply that Native Americans were not people, according to a 2007 biography of Wilder by Pamela Smith Hill.
Yet Harper’s decision in 1953 to change “people” to “settlers” in the offending sentence did little to quell the critics in later decades, who began describing Wilder’s depictions of Native Americans and some African Americans — and her storylines evoking white settlers’ manifest-destiny beliefs — as racist.
Now, after years of complaints, the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, says it voted Saturday to strip Wilder’s name from the award.
The decision makes Wilder the latest target of efforts to purge from the cultural landscape symbols that honor historical figures who owned slaves, espoused racist views or engaged in racist practices. Statues and flags have been removed and highways renamed across the country. Coats of arms and building names have been changed or are the object of protests to get them changed. Columbus Day is now Indigenous Peoples’ Day in some places.
In its decision to remove Wilder’s name from the award, the library association had cited “anti-Native and anti-Black sentiments in her work” when it announced the review of Wilder’s award in February. The award, reserved for authors or illustrators who have made “significant and lasting contribution to children’s literature,” will no longer be called the “Laura Ingalls Wilder Award.” It’s now the “Children’s Literature Legacy Award.”

This decision was made in consideration of the fact that Wilder’s legacy, as represented by her body of work, includes expressions of stereotypical attitudes inconsistent with ALSC’s core values of inclusiveness, integrity and respect, and responsiveness,” the association said in a statement on its website.

Wilder was the first to win the award in 1954, when she was in her late 80s and nearing the end of her life.
Until her death in 1957 she was beloved for the semi-autobiographical “Little House” children’s books, fictionalized versions of her family’s adventures traveling the western frontier in their covered wagon and its encounters with Native Americans.
Born just after the Civil War in 1867 and having lived through both the Panic of 1893 and Great Depression in the 1930s, Wilder once acknowledged that “in my own life I represented a whole period of American history.”
But by the same measure, critics say, her family’s intrusion on Native American lands, particularly in “Little House on the Prairie,” represented a whole period of abuse against tribes across America, justified by white settlers’ belief that Native Americans didn’t count as settlers on their own land.
The book includes multiple statements from characters saying, “The only good Indian is a dead Indian.” In 1998, an 8-year-old girl on the Upper Sioux Reservation was so disturbed after hearing her teacher read the statement aloud in class that she went home crying, leading her mother to unsuccessfully petition the school district to ban the book from its curriculum.

I've read Wilder's books, and they are fascinating, and also jaw droppingly inappropriate by today's standards. She also keeps in odd bits of superstition that aren't related to race or gender at all. For instance the belief by her mother that you shouldn't eat melons because that would give you Malaria. She doesn't try to correct this belief, she just writes it. And when the family was dying of malaria and alone and isolated on the prairie in a claim shanty it was travelling black doctor who comes to the rescue and saves them. And that black doctor has been documented historically. She was a product of her time. She didn't believe women should have the right to vote either. I guess they can take her name off the award, but I have fondness for Wilder. I think they should be required reading for how times and attitudes have changed, just like Anne Franks diary.