Toot your horn or not?
Everyone has seen stories about the famous actor or athlete that donates their time or money to a worthy cause. Some try to do it "under the radar" while others bring along a camera crew.

On the surface you'd think that the latter are just in it for self-promotion and that the former are more altruistic. But maybe dig a little deeper and realize that perhaps some of the latter not only care about their cause, but also want to shine a light on it for others to follow... even if it means appearing shallow at first glance.

My wife likes to hand out a few bucks to the guys sitting at the intersections... or maybe she'll buy a sandwich in the supermarket deli and give it to a homeless person she noticed out front. I'm more cynical. It's one of my many flaws. I hate the idea of being made a fool of, so I don't easily give handouts, for fear that I'll find out that the toothless broad might drive off in a Bentley.

So let's get down to the bottom line here. Many people affected by Harvey need help. So, I'm tooting my horn. I, the supreme asshole that helps nobody, managed to find it in my black heart to donate. I hope this short post encourages others to do likewise. If you do, feel free to out-toot me here. I did it for selfish reasons. It made me feel good! 

This is where I donated: https://www.redcross.org/donate/cm/walmart-pub
(09-02-2017, 05:49 PM)GCG Wrote: Everyone has seen stories about the famous actor or athlete that donates their time or money to a worthy cause. Some try to do it "under the radar" while others bring along a camera crew.

On the surface you'd think that the latter are just in it for self-promotion and that the former are more altruistic. But maybe dig a little deeper and realize that perhaps some of the latter not only care about their cause, but also want to shine a light on it for others to follow... even if it means appearing shallow at first glance.

My wife likes to hand out a few bucks to the guys sitting at the intersections... or maybe she'll buy a sandwich in the supermarket deli and give it to a homeless person she noticed out front. I'm more cynical. It's one of my many flaws. I hate the idea of being made a fool of, so I don't easily give handouts, for fear that I'll find out that the toothless broad might drive off in a Bentley.

So let's get down to the bottom line here. Many people affected by Harvey need help. So, I'm tooting my horn. I, the supreme asshole that helps nobody, managed to find it in my black heart to donate. I hope this short post encourages others to do likewise. If you do, feel free to out-toot me here. I did it for selfish reasons. It made me feel good! 

Your heart is in the right place. That's a good thing and speaks volumes about you as a caring person.

We have all seen the reports from Texas and it's heartbreaking to see working folks and those who live on the edge of poverty (or deep in poverty) look at all they own as waterlogged worthless piles of junk. 

So we want to help. I have a bit of disposable income and while I have yet to make a donation I want to. However, now in my 8th decade I've been witness to more than a few disasters. In the aftermath of some, I learned disturbing news about some organizations. The American Red Cross is one of those organizations I have read negative reports about. 

So, I'll be giving to "Some" charitable organization soon. At this point I have yet to decide which one. 

I'm also concerned about some local folks who have lost everything in fires. I sometimes question their choice to move into the forest where fires are common and difficult to control and defeat, but there may be reasons that I will never know or understand. Often, rural folks there simply don't have the income for fire insurance. 

But, you have already donated to the American Red Cross. Perhaps the reports I have read over the years have been less than accurate. I hope so, and at least you are giving. 

I'd encourage members here to search the Net and get evaluations of The Red Cross and other outfits before giving money.

Below is excerpt from the link at the end of this post. It is but one link that might be useful. There are more. 

****************************************************************

This is all to the good, assuming the money flows to the right places. But after years of media reports documenting the Red Cross’s disaster relief failures — including after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Sandy and the Haiti earthquake — some Americans instead are giving to smaller, local charities with a track record in Texas.

2015 investigation by ProPublica and NPR documented the Red Cross’s glaring failure to account for how it spent the $488 million it raised in the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake in 2010, including such basics as how many people were assisted and how much money was spent on overhead.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/opini....html?_r=0
(09-02-2017, 08:28 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-02-2017, 05:49 PM)GCG Wrote: Everyone has seen stories about the famous actor or athlete that donates their time or money to a worthy cause. Some try to do it "under the radar" while others bring along a camera crew.

Your heart is in the right place. That's a good thing and speaks volumes about you as a caring person.

We have all seen the reports from Texas and it's heartbreaking to see working folks and those who live on the edge of poverty (or deep in poverty) look at all they own as waterlogged worthless piles of junk. 

So we want to help. I have a bit of disposable income and while I have yet to make a donation I want to. However, now in my 8th decade I've been witness to more than a few disasters. In the aftermath of some, I learned disturbing news about some organizations. The American Red Cross is one of those organizations I have read negative reports about. 

So, I'll be giving to "Some" charitable organization soon. At this point I have yet to decide which one. 

I'm also concerned about some local folks who have lost everything in fires. I sometimes question their choice to move into the forest where fires are common and difficult to control and defeat, but there may be reasons that I will never know or understand. Often, rural folks there simply don't have the income for fire insurance. 

But, you have already donated to the American Red Cross. Perhaps the reports I have read over the years have been less than accurate. I hope so, and at least you are giving. 

I'd encourage members here to search the Net and get evaluations of The Red Cross and other outfits before giving money.

Below is excerpt from the link at the end of this post. It is but one link that might be useful. There are more. 

This is all to the good, assuming the money flows to the right places. But after years of media reports documenting the Red Cross’s disaster relief failures — including after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Sandy and the Haiti earthquake — some Americans instead are giving to smaller, local charities with a track record in Texas.

2015 investigation by ProPublica and NPR documented the Red Cross’s glaring failure to account for how it spent the $488 million it raised in the aftermath of the Haiti earthquake in 2010, including such basics as how many people were assisted and how much money was spent on overhead.

I remember reading something about that. I thought that it was about how the Red Cross was just taking donations and throwing it into a general fund and spending when and where they saw fit. I also seem to recall that their "fix" was that donors could earmark their donation to specific causes. Even at that, I have no real way of knowing how the money will be spent. I was hoping that because Walmart, (a place that I pretty much refuse to enter), was matching all donations given through them, that the volume of money would hopefully lead to some scrutiny as to where it goes. 

I started this thread more to discuss what motivates people to help out. Obviously, the answers will vary wildly. For me, it can be summed up in one word. Tequila. I tossed back some of the "good stuff" last night and decided that if I could afford to drink that, I could afford to donate a few $$$. 

I like seeing the stories of regular people that take time off work and use their own money and resources to go down and physically pitch in. They probably don't need alcohol to go into action. I admire them. A lot.
(09-03-2017, 06:42 AM)GCG Wrote:
(09-02-2017, 08:28 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I remember reading something about that. I thought that it was about how the Red Cross was just taking donations and throwing it into a general fund and spending when and where they saw fit. I also seem to recall that their "fix" was that donors could earmark their donation to specific causes. Even at that, I have no real way of knowing how the money will be spent. I was hoping that because Walmart, (a place that I pretty much refuse to enter), was matching all donations given through them, that the volume of money would hopefully lead to some scrutiny as to where it goes. 

I started this thread more to discuss what motivates people to help out. Obviously, the answers will vary wildly. For me, it can be summed up in one word. Tequila. I tossed back some of the "good stuff" last night and decided that if I could afford to drink that, I could afford to donate a few $$$. 

I like seeing the stories of regular people that take time off work and use their own money and resources to go down and physically pitch in. They probably don't need alcohol to go into action. I admire them. A lot.

"I started this thread more to discuss what motivates people to help out."

I admit to getting a little "burned out" about the news coverage of this awful event, many networks showing a lot of the same things time after time. But, your comment above is, in my mind, one of the positive stories about this. 

I read someplace (?) that Huston is one of the more diverse cities in the U.S. Don't know why that surprised me but it did. And, also that some 3.5 (or so) million people live in the metropolitan area surprised me. 

Whatever all the facts, it has been obvious and noticeable that "the community" has come together and regular folks have done whatever they can regardless of the risks to help remove people from harms way. No doubt, in the aftermath of this thing FEMA and other agencies of the federal government will have to step in and spend untold amounts of money to return this area to anywhere near normal and to help the people devastated by the water.
Good to see that "regular folks" responded, not always waiting for trained First Responders to reach all the people in need..

I hope "we" can learn from this event. Huston was built on a flood plain but it's there now and can't be moved to Nebraska so I hope all the agencies involved can do whatever is necessary to "retrofit" the infrastructure to help control  the water when this happens again. Other cites all over the county should take note and start preparing for the specific problems facing what can cause problems peculiar to their area. It's predicted that Oregon and the west coast will someday experience a massive earthquake. We should be preparing, as best we can, for that. The promised infrastructure for our bridges and Interstates has yet to get in full swing. 

A lesson too, is that a strong federal government is necessary to spread the cost of events like this. Local jurisdictions would never be able to fund the costs required to deal with this kind of event. "Local control" is a good goal, but not always capable of what a central government can do. 

"Bravo" to all the "Cajun Navy" and all the good citizens who braved the water to help those in need!
This was liked on FB by a friend.......

Knucklehead....Let's see how long it takes for Congress members, rich Celebrities. and Athletes to match Trumps Donation to Flood relief.

TVGUY.....Many already have. Sandra Bullock.. one million. DiCaprio, one million . Ellen DeGeneres one million... Tyler Perry.. one million.
So have many athletes and athletic organizationsSmiling

Knuckle head......
Funny your the only one reporting this. Where's your documented proof.

LOL this idiot apparently doesn't know how to use the internet.
(09-03-2017, 04:53 PM)tvguy Wrote: This was liked on FB by a friend.......

Knucklehead....Let's see how long it takes for Congress members, rich Celebrities. and Athletes to match Trumps Donation to Flood relief.

TVGUY.....Many already have. Sandra Bullock.. one million. DiCaprio, one million . Ellen DeGeneres one million... Tyler Perry.. one million.

Knuckle head......

Or read the news.

oops! my bad. not supposed to believe the news anymore.   Wink
(09-03-2017, 05:06 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 04:53 PM)tvguy Wrote: This was liked on FB by a friend.......

Knuckle head......

Or read the news.

oops! my bad. not supposed to believe the news anymore.   Wink

Yeah no kidding. I told knucklehead to learn to use the internet. I should have added that he could simply watch the news.
I saw on TV where Jenifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez both gave 25 thousand each for Harvey victims.

This is the same Alex Rodriguez that got a 40 million dollar contract to play ball?
And who in his career made 420 million or so?

Forbes estimates Rodriguez's net worth to be $480 million, and Lopez's net worth is an estimated $300 million.

And all they could spare was 25 grand???
(09-03-2017, 05:19 PM)tvguy Wrote: I saw on TV where Jenifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez both gave 25 thousand each for Harvey victims.

This is the same Alex Rodriguez that got a 40 million dollar contract to play ball?
And who in his career made 420 million or so?

Forbes estimates Rodriguez's net worth to be $480 million, and Lopez's net worth is an estimated $300 million.

And all they could spare was 25 grand???

Well, I have no use for either of them but I have to admit that I don't expect much from them either. Neither puts themselves up as some sort of philanthropist or, really, as giving much of a shit about anything but themselves at all. The others mentioned above do, at the very least, appear to give a shit about stuff. I'm rarely in agreement with what they give a shit about but at least it's about something that they feel is worthwhile. 

Now we are getting to what I was really thinking when I started this thread. Why do people take on a cause? I think in my case, as well as the "Di Caprio's" of the world... it's because it makes us feel better about ourselves. Lopez and and Rodriguez, OTOH,  do it for only the worst of reasons. PR... pure and simple. They are giving the absolute least that they can get away with. 

And then there are the real heroes. The ones that do it because it needs doing.
Here's a list of stars who have publicly pledged to donate:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainm...story.html

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
I think GCG may be right. When you look at what some people pledge compared to others, it makes you think.
(09-03-2017, 06:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: I think GCG may be right. When you look at what some people pledge compared to others, it makes you think.

Yep it made me think. I mean someone do the math. If Alex and Jaylo have 780 million and gave 25 thousand.

Then what would be the equivalent donation of someone who was worth a couple hundred grand?
(09-03-2017, 06:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 06:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: I think GCG may be right. When you look at what some people pledge compared to others, it makes you think.

Yep it made me think. I mean someone do the math. If Alex and Jaylo have 780 million and gave 25 thousand.

Then what would be the equivalent donation of someone who was worth a couple hundred grand?
I did the math (I CAN add and subtract; long division, not so much) and compared my worth to a mean average of what Jaylo and Alex have. Using that standard I'll be sending 65 cents to the good folks in Texas. But, I am considering donating a few bucks to the Republican Party because I think they may be dead in the water.

By the way, president Trump often boasts about his extreme wealth. Ya think he will send a million dollar check and house a few homeless at Mar-A-Largo?
(09-03-2017, 06:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I did the math (I CAN add and subtract; long division, not so much) and compared my worth to an mean average of what Jaylo and Alex have. Using that standard I'll be sending 65 cents to the good folks in Texas. But, I am considering donating a few bucks to the Republican Party because I think they may be dead in the water.

By the way, president Trump often boasts about his extreme wealth. Ya think he will send a million dollar check and house a few homeless at Mar-A-Largo?
 I think I read that Trump donated 1 million.
(09-03-2017, 06:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I did the math (I CAN add and subtract; long division, not so much) and compared my worth to an mean average of what Jaylo and Alex have. Using that standard I'll be sending 65 cents to the good folks in Texas. But, I am considering donating a few bucks to the Republican Party because I think they may be dead in the water.

Maybe. But evidently not yet. Maybe this will be like revealing his tax returns.

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump will donate $1 million of his fortune to recovery efforts in Texas, though the White House says he hasn't determined which group or groups will receive the contribution.
"He would like to join in the efforts that a lot of people we have seen across the country do," press secretary Sarah Sanders told reporters at the White House, saying the funds would come from the President's "personal money."
She said the President hadn't determined which organization to support, but solicited requests from the media for worthy groups.
I figured it out. If you are worth 200,000 and you donate the same percentage of your worth as Alex and Jaylo.

It would be $6.40
(09-03-2017, 06:54 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 06:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Maybe. But evidently not yet. Maybe this will be like revealing his tax returns.

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump will donate $1 million of his fortune to recovery efforts in Texas, though the White House says he hasn't determined which group or groups will receive the contribution.
"He would like to join in the efforts that a lot of people we have seen across the country do," press secretary Sarah Sanders told reporters at the White House, saying the funds would come from the President's "personal money."
She said the President hadn't determined which organization to support, but solicited requests from the media for worthy groups.

Wouldn't it be a write off anyway?