The Smoke & Air Quality are bad... FREE FACE MASKS!
(09-07-2017, 02:24 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 02:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 12:43 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 02:45 PM)tvguy Wrote: I made an air cleaner with a box fan and a 24 dollar furnace filter. Big Grin with a 2400 micro particle performance rating.
I bought the filter at Lowes and some guy who was shopping was very adamant that it would NOT filter smoke.
It says right on the filter that it will.
And when the air quality is as bad as it was yesterday I think it's not just smoke.... It's also ash.

Yesterday MY two AC units were pulling smoke in from out side so we had to shut them down.

Anyway.. we'll see.

Will do nothing for PM 2.5 and PM 10
 they are 2.5 microns and smaller and 10 microns and smaller.
 The stuff above 10 microns is not considered as big a health risk.
what you want is a electrostatic filter. They make them for the standard furnace size. A bit pricey but they can be cleaned and used over and over.

2400 microns is 2.4 mm, or a 1/10 of an inch.
You could get a metal screen with better performance.

what you want is a electrostatic filter.

Good because that's exactly what I bought.

I'd keep a close eye on the box fan that it doesn't over heat with the extra effort needed to pass air through the filter, especially as it gets dirty.
RightyO Smiling Thanks

Normally electric motors have a component that heats up and opens the circuit if the motor gets hot. Or they just stop working before they get so hot they can start a fire.

But I have it set where it's not near anything flammable. Big Grin
I see Eugene is getting some rain, did you?

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.a...n=USOR0275
(09-07-2017, 02:50 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I see Eugene is getting some rain, did you?

Just a little where I live in the valley. It made the ground damp but where the sun hits it's bone dry already.

My friend in Shady cove got a gully washer.
(09-07-2017, 03:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 02:50 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I see Eugene is getting some rain, did you?

Just a little where I live in the valley. It made the ground damp but where the sun hits it's bone dry already.

My friend in Shady cove got a gully washer.

They just interrupted regular TV with a warning about a dangerous system passing south of us.
(09-06-2017, 02:45 PM)tvguy Wrote: I made an air cleaner with a box fan and a 24 dollar furnace filter. Big Grin with a 2400 micro particle performance rating.
I bought the filter at Lowes and some guy who was shopping was very adamant that it would NOT filter smoke.
And when the air quality is as bad as it was yesterday I think it's not just smoke.... It's also ash.

Yesterday MY two AC units were pulling smoke in from out side so we had to shut them down.

Anyway.. we'll see.

what you want is a electrostatic filter. They make them for the standard furnace size. A bit pricey but they can be cleaned and used over and over.

So it came with a power cord attached to the filter to run the high voltage ?

I wouldn't worry about the box fan over heating. I think it would be OK even if you taped cardboard over the  outside. The motor uses so little power that the heat would just conduct away through the outside housing.

[Image: AP-EN-inside.jpg]
(09-07-2017, 05:10 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Anyway.. we'll see.

I wouldn't worry about the box fan over heating. I think it would be OK even if you taped cardboard over the  outside. The motor uses so little power that the heat would just conduct away through the outside housing.

"So it came with a power cord attached to the filter to run the high voltage ?"

No because it works off of static electricity

How Do Electrostatic Air Filters Work?

These washable furnace filters work by having multiple layers of vented metal which the air passes through.  As the air passes through the first layer of filtration, the air molecules are positively charged by the friction between the air and the filter.  The now positively charged air molecules attach themselves to the next few layers as they pass through the rest of the filter.  Think about it as working kind of like walking across the carpet with your socks on and then touching a door knob – the process of walking across the carpet charges you with static electricity which is then released when you touch a grounded surface like a door knob.  Only instead of your socks scooting across a carpet, it is the air scooting across your air filter that creates a charge and traps dust particles in the air filter

"I wouldn't worry about the box fan over heating. I think it would be OK even if you taped cardboard over the  outside. The motor uses so little power that the heat would just conduct away through the outside housing."

I'm not worried and I previously pretty much said the same thing you just said. The windings on some small motors won't even burn up in a locked rotor situation.
They just create a small amount of heat.
I've cleaned clock motors on old electric stoves with WD-40 that had been clogged with grease for years
And they started working like new.
(09-08-2017, 02:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Anyway.. we'll see.

These washable furnace filters work by having multiple layers of vented metal which the air passes through.  As the air passes through the first layer of filtration, the air molecules are positively charged by the friction between the air and the filter.  The now positively charged air molecules attach themselves to the next few layers as they pass through the rest of the filter.  Think about it as working kind of like walking across the carpet with your socks on and then touching a door knob – the process of walking across the carpet charges you with static electricity which is then released when you touch a grounded surface like a door knob.  Only instead of your socks scooting across a carpet, it is the air scooting across your air filter that creates a charge and traps dust particles in the air filter

"I wouldn't worry about the box fan over heating. I think it would be OK even if you taped cardboard over the  outside. The motor uses so little power that the heat would just conduct away through the outside housing."

I'm not worried and I previously pretty much said the same thing you just said. The windings on some small motors won't even burn up in a locked rotor situation.
I've cleaned clock motors on old electric stoves with WD-40 that had been clogged with grease for years

The electro static filters I've seen have a high voltage supply.
(09-08-2017, 05:11 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 12:43 PM)chuck white Wrote: Will do nothing for PM 2.5 and PM 10

You must mean electronic air filters. I've hooked up a million of those for HVAC companies and yes they produce a high voltage but it's not static.
(09-08-2017, 05:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You must mean electronic air filters. I've hooked up a million of those for HVAC companies and yes they produce a high voltage but it's not static.
They have a high voltage DC supply that charges a grid of wires with a static field.
A second grid of wires have a insulation and charged with an opposite voltage. The particles pick up a charge and stick to the insulated wire.
Like the back of old TV picture tubes.

I found them with a quick search
http://www.breathepureair.com/electrofil...ation.html
I guess they call them 'electro filter', what ever they capture dust with a high voltage static charge.
I never heard of this self generating field. Kind of like Balloons rubbed in your hair, then sticking to the ceiling.
I think a powered field would be a lot better.
(09-08-2017, 09:35 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 05:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 05:10 PM)chuck white Wrote: So it came with a power cord attached to the filter to run the high voltage ?

They have a high voltage DC supply that charges a grid of wires with a static field.
A second grid of wires have a insulation and charged with an opposite voltage. The particles pick up a charge and stick to the insulated wire.
Like the back of old TV picture tubes.

I found them with a quick search
http://www.breathepureair.com/electrofil...ation.html
I guess they call them 'electro filter', what ever they capture dust with a high voltage static charge.
I never heard of this self generating field. Kind of like Balloons rubbed in your hair, then sticking to the ceiling.

Well duh, ya think? LOL Except I don't have an air handler or a furnace of any kind. I would have bought and electronic air cleaner but they were sold out.