Do you winterize your sprinkler system?
So I mentioned in the past my water pressure being a bit high here. Well I think this is causing some of the sprinklers that have been capped off because they're not needed now to crack at the elbows and therefore need to be fixed.

It appears the entire system was installed about 14 inches under the surface so here's the question. Is that deep enough that I don't have to worry about draining them before winter to keep them from freezing?

Edit: I'm curious how TV winterizes his recycled beer sprinkler system.  Laughing
(09-10-2017, 07:52 PM)Valuesize Wrote: So I mentioned in the past my water pressure being a bit high here. Well I think this is causing some of the sprinklers that have been capped off because they're not needed now to crack at the elbows and therefore need to be fixed.

It appears the entire system was installed about 14 inches under the surface so here's the question. Is that deep enough that I don't have to worry about draining them before winter to keep them from freezing?

Edit: I'm curious how TV winterizes his recycled beer sprinkler system.  Laughing

No way will your stuff freeze if it's 14 in down. That is more than deep enoughSmiling

some of the sprinklers  crack at the elbows and therefore need to be fixed.

That's just weird. These are elbows that are buried 18"?  I've never had that happen unless something did freeze.
 Maybe someone just used some inferior fittings.

My irrigation system is all black flexible tubing. Freezing doesn't seem to affect it. I even have one 3/4 schedule 40 pvc line that goes to a faucet that has never frozen and part of it's not even buried LOL.

I always rake leaves over it. Razz
(09-10-2017, 09:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 07:52 PM)Valuesize Wrote: So I mentioned in the past my water pressure being a bit high here. Well I think this is causing some of the sprinklers that have been capped off because they're not needed now to crack at the elbows and therefore need to be fixed.

No way will your stuff freeze if it's 14 in down. That is more than deep enoughSmiling

That's just weird. These are elbows that are buried 18"?  I've never had that happen unless something did freeze.

My irrigation system is all black flexible tubing. Freezing doesn't seem to affect it. I even have one 3/4 schedule 40 pvc line that goes to a faucet that has never frozen and part of it's not even buried LOL.

That's possible. The white pvc that runs horizontally is considerably larger (as expected) than the 1/2" elbows and vertical pipes. I would have thought they'de use 3/4" at least. 

Todays job was made twice as difficult because the nuts that installed the system in this area ran the sprinkler pipes right next to the kitchen sink drain pipe, touching it actually. I had to be VERY careful as I unscrewed the elbow as it bent the white pvc with every turn. I don't need the sprinkler there anyway so I just put a plug in it.

Edit: Thanks for the good news regarding the pipes being deep enough.....  Big Grin
you could fill your pipes with anti-freeze.
I thought this was a urology question.
(09-11-2017, 08:14 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I thought this was a urology question.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
(09-10-2017, 10:05 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 09:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:

That's possible. The white pvc that runs horizontally is considerably larger (as expected) than the 1/2" elbows and vertical pipes. I would have thought they'de use 3/4" at least. 

Todays job was made twice as difficult because the nuts that installed the system in this area ran the sprinkler pipes right next to the kitchen sink drain pipe, touching it actually. I had to be VERY careful as I unscrewed the elbow as it bent the white pvc with every turn. I don't need the sprinkler there anyway so I just put a plug in it.

Edit: Thanks for the good news regarding the pipes being deep enough.....  Big Grin

I had to be VERY careful as I unscrewed the elbow as it bent the white pvc with every turn.

Some people use schedule 20 for sprinkler systems. It's just too thin and week for me and it's not much more money for schedule 40 pipe.
(09-11-2017, 11:50 AM)tvguy Wrote: I had to be VERY careful as I unscrewed the elbow as it bent the white pvc with every turn.

Some people use schedule 20 for sprinkler systems. It's just too thin and week for me and it's not much more money for schedule 40 pipe.

Sorry, I don't speak French.
(09-11-2017, 03:02 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-11-2017, 11:50 AM)tvguy Wrote: I had to be VERY careful as I unscrewed the elbow as it bent the white pvc with every turn.

Well, you might want to learn.
As TVguy says, you don't want to start wrenching on that fitting without taking GREAT care. 
Of course you want to use a back-up wrench on the PVC but as TVguy has already made clear, if it's thin walled schedule 20 the back-up wrench may collapse the walls. 
If possible you might want to go back to a point where you have good solid pipe and run some new schedule 40 (or whatever). 
Or, is this job already done and I misunderstood? (Confess I didn't follow the thread)

What part was French? Or is this a joke that went over my head?
(09-11-2017, 04:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I don't think he has a clue about the differences in pipe "schedules".  It's a rating system VS.  Schedule 20 is thin walled.  Schedule 40 is thicker and more durable.  And so on...

It was a ValueSize Post.
He does not speak French (I guess).
He did not understand your suggestion about the importance on not wrenching a fitting connected to PVC without a backup wrench.
ergo: You were speaking French. 
Like I said, a VS post. 
Like I said: I'm guessing.
(09-11-2017, 05:16 PM)Hugo Wrote:

I don't think he has a clue about the differences in pipe "schedules".  It's a rating system VS.  Schedule 20 is thin walled.  Schedule 40 is thicker and more durable.  And so on...

Yes, thank you Hugo. I'd never heard of schedules when referring to pipes. Yes this has been completed Wonky. I played it safe and just plugged this spot because we covered this area along the side of the house with river stones today.
(09-11-2017, 05:49 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-11-2017, 05:16 PM)Hugo Wrote:

Yes, thank you Hugo. I'd never heard of schedules when referring to pipes. Yes this has been completed Wonky. I played it safe and just plugged this spot because we covered this area along the side of the house with river stones today.

I like your solution! Less grass, less mowing.   Smiling
(09-11-2017, 06:27 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I like your solution! Less grass, less mowing.   Smiling

Laughing  It's a space that is 20' X 12" that HAD a few expensive plants my desert tortoise devoured the first week we lived here.  Dry  Why anyone would go to the expense to install sprinklers there baffles me. 

The former owner also had the entire front yard professionally landscaped (back also but we're happy with the back) with tons of dirt, yard bark, those huge boulders and half the plants being the type that need to be watered twice a day to be kept alive in summer.
(09-11-2017, 08:41 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-11-2017, 06:27 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I like your solution! Less grass, less mowing.   Smiling

Laughing  It's a space that is 20' X 12" that HAD a few expensive plants my desert tortoise devoured the first week we lived here.  Dry  Why anyone would go to the expense to install sprinklers there baffles me. 

The former owner also had the entire front yard professionally landscaped (back also but we're happy with the back) with tons of dirt, yard bark, those huge boulders and half the plants being the type that need to be watered twice a day to be kept alive in summer.

For what it's worth: There are lots of drought resistant "grasses"...some very attractive and come in all shapes: Tall, short, wide, narrow, etc. 
I'll looking at pulling up a bunch of stuff that needs water and putting in more grasses. And, they look great around rocks (boulders) and it sounds like you already have some. 
Water is only going to become more scarce and expensive. And folks on wells might well see ground water deepen in many places. 
Welcome to the future that is already here.

Why anyone would go to the expense to install sprinklers there baffles me.

Because it pays off in the long run.Those sprinklers hooked to a timer save you time every single time they come on.
(09-12-2017, 07:56 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

For what it's worth: There are lots of drought resistant "grasses"...some very attractive and come in all shapes: Tall, short, wide, narrow, etc. 
I'll looking at pulling up a bunch of stuff that needs water and putting in more grasses. And, they look great around rocks (boulders) and it sounds like you already have some. 
Water is only going to become more scarce and expensive. And folks on wells might well see ground water deepen in many places. 

What makes you think that? Water is indeed a huge problem in a lot of areas. I don't know about where VS lives but I don't see any water shortage where we live now OR in the future.
I think your comment is totally debatable. Smiling
(09-12-2017, 04:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Why anyone would go to the expense to install sprinklers there baffles me.

Because it pays off in the long run.Those sprinklers hooked to a timer save you time every single time they come on.

I'm only referring to the space that is 20' X 12" along the walkway to the back yard.
(09-12-2017, 04:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 07:56 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

What makes you think that? Water is indeed a huge problem in a lot of areas. I don't know about where VS lives but I don't see any water shortage where we live now OR in the future.
I think your comment is totally debatable. Smiling

The expensive part is what I'm not fond of. My water, sewer, police, 911 is all on the city bill of just under $200 a month. (it was $192 last month)

Water: SF 3/4" , IN CITY Consumption $46.32
Water: SF 3/4" , IN CITY $14.66
Sewer: SF, SEWER, IN CITY Consumption $68.64
Sewer: SF, SEWER, IN CITY $21.30
Storm: Storm Water $9.45
Public Safety Fee: PUBLIC SAFETY FEE $3.00
Comm Officer PSF: COMM OFFICER PSF $2.04
Transportation Fee: SF DETACHED HOUSING $4.99
Total Current Charges: $170.40