Do you winterize your sprinkler system?
(09-12-2017, 04:26 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 04:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 07:56 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-11-2017, 08:41 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-11-2017, 06:27 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I like your solution! Less grass, less mowing.   Smiling

Laughing  It's a space that is 20' X 12" that HAD a few expensive plants my desert tortoise devoured the first week we lived here.  Dry  Why anyone would go to the expense to install sprinklers there baffles me. 

The former owner also had the entire front yard professionally landscaped (back also but we're happy with the back) with tons of dirt, yard bark, those huge boulders and half the plants being the type that need to be watered twice a day to be kept alive in summer.

For what it's worth: There are lots of drought resistant "grasses"...some very attractive and come in all shapes: Tall, short, wide, narrow, etc. 
I'll looking at pulling up a bunch of stuff that needs water and putting in more grasses. And, they look great around rocks (boulders) and it sounds like you already have some. 
Water is only going to become more scarce and expensive. And folks on wells might well see ground water deepen in many places. 
Welcome to the future that is already here.

Water is only going to become more scarce and expensive. And folks on wells might well see ground water deepen in many places. 

What makes you think that? Water is indeed a huge problem in a lot of areas. I don't know about where VS lives but I don't see any water shortage where we live now OR in the future.
I think your comment is totally debatable. Smiling

The expensive part is what I'm not fond of. My water, sewer, police, 911 is all on the city bill of just under $200 a month. (it was $192 last month)

Water: SF 3/4" , IN CITY Consumption $46.32
Water: SF 3/4" , IN CITY $14.66
Sewer: SF, SEWER, IN CITY Consumption $68.64
Sewer: SF, SEWER, IN CITY $21.30
Storm: Storm Water $9.45
Public Safety Fee: PUBLIC SAFETY FEE $3.00
Comm Officer PSF: COMM OFFICER PSF $2.04
Transportation Fee: SF DETACHED HOUSING $4.99
Total Current Charges: $170.40

consider drilling a well and put in a septic.
(09-11-2017, 06:27 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I like your solution! Less grass, less mowing.   Smiling

Laughing  It's a space that is 20' X 12" that HAD a few expensive plants my desert tortoise devoured the first week we lived here.  Dry  Why anyone would go to the expense to install sprinklers there baffles me. 

The former owner also had the entire front yard professionally landscaped (back also but we're happy with the back) with tons of dirt, yard bark, those huge boulders and half the plants being the type that need to be watered twice a day to be kept alive in summer.

For what it's worth: There are lots of drought resistant "grasses"...some very attractive and come in all shapes: Tall, short, wide, narrow, etc. 
I'll looking at pulling up a bunch of stuff that needs water and putting in more grasses. And, they look great around rocks (boulders) and it sounds like you already have some. 

What makes you think that? Water is indeed a huge problem in a lot of areas. I don't know about where VS lives but I don't see any water shortage where we live now OR in the future.

Yes, you would debate ANYTHING! 
It was a GENERAL statement about our future in general. California needs water. We have some. California has money. We could use some. California will pay to build whatever it take to get it there. We will let them pay. 
I think at some point, water is going to be a global problem. No, I have NO data to back that up because I am not interested in looking for it. But, I think I heard in on FOX news, so you know it has to be fact.  Smiling
(09-12-2017, 05:10 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

It was a GENERAL statement about our future in general. California needs water. We have some. California has money. We could use some. California will pay to build whatever it take to get it there. We will let them pay. 
I think at some point, water is going to be a global problem. No, I have NO data to back that up because I am not interested in looking for it. But, I think I heard in on FOX news, so you know it has to be fact.  Smiling

Most of the water on the planet is pretty old. I think we need to burn hydrogen and make new water.
(09-12-2017, 05:16 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 05:10 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-11-2017, 08:41 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Laughing  It's a space that is 20' X 12" that HAD a few expensive plants my desert tortoise devoured the first week we lived here.  Dry  Why anyone would go to the expense to install sprinklers there baffles me. 

Most of the water on the planet is pretty old. I think we need to burn hydrogen and make new water.
If we CAN be saved it will be science and not Native American's doing rain dances.
(09-12-2017, 04:19 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 04:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Why anyone would go to the expense to install sprinklers there baffles me.

Because it pays off in the long run.Those sprinklers hooked to a timer save you time every single time they come on.

I'm only referring to the space that is 20' X 12" along the walkway to the back yard.

I know. But without automatic sprinklers you would have to either hand water with a hose or drag a hose out and hook up a sprinkler once a week or so in the summer.. For rest of your life.
(09-12-2017, 05:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 04:19 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 04:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Why anyone would go to the expense to install sprinklers there baffles me.

Because it pays off in the long run.Those sprinklers hooked to a timer save you time every single time they come on.

I'm only referring to the space that is 20' X 12" along the walkway to the back yard.

I know. But without automatic sprinklers you would have to either hand water with a hose or drag a hose out and hook up a sprinkler once a week or so in the summer.. For rest of your life.

Only if there is something there that needs that kind of water. I encourage exercises in lawn reduction.
I don't use water anymore in my garden. I use Gatorade, it has what plants crave.
[Image: CcmOuteUUAACZDJ.jpg:large]