A cautionary tale:
the drainage pipe under my kitchen sick, from the trap to the galvanized house drain rotted out and sprung a leak. (They don't make stuff like the used to: The thing was only 50 years old, or so) 
So I grabbed my trusty 18" Stillson pipe wrench to make repairs. 
And could not break the collar nut connecting the thing. No amount of tugging would budge it. 
So, admitting I'm "not the man I used to be I called a plumber. Several actually. All required I leave a voice message and the couple that did get back to me said it would be 4 to 5 days before they could respond. . 
No acceptable.
So, I grabbed the pipe wrench and a hammer and once the wrench was in place beat the hell out of the end of the handle. I know. BAD PRACTICE. Never do that. 
But it worked. Was able to unscrew the collar nut.
Went to the hardware store and bought replacement parts and now it's as good as new.

But...

What if I had NEEDED a plumber? 4-5 days? Get out! 
And, I hear about all kinds of young guys who can't find work. HEY! Train to be a plumber! God knows we need more of them and they are in demand so it would seem like steady work at decent pay.

I swear: I'm considering contacting a plumber, electrician, Carpenter, roofer, shoe repairman, (and whom ever else) and offering them a $1000.00 retainer if they will agree to respond on the day I call them. Well not really, but....

Still...not a good idea to beat the hell out of the handle of a pipe wrench. (Yes, TVguy, I DID try some penetrating oil...let it set for 40 minuets) 

And this ain't Kansas anymore Dorothy. A world gone haywire.
(09-13-2017, 02:35 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: the drainage pipe under my kitchen sick, from the trap to the galvanized house drain rotted out and sprung a leak. (They don't make stuff like the used to: The thing was only 50 years old, or so) 
And could not break the collar nut connecting the thing. No amount of tugging would budge it. 
So, admitting I'm "not the man I used to be I called a plumber. Several actually. All required I leave a voice message and the couple that did get back to me said it would be 4 to 5 days before they could respond. . 
No acceptable.
So, I grabbed the pipe wrench and a hammer and once the wrench was in place beat the hell out of the end of the handle. I know. BAD PRACTICE. Never do that. 
Went to the hardware store and bought replacement parts and now it's as good as new.

But...

And, I hear about all kinds of young guys who can't find work. HEY! Train to be a plumber! God knows we need more of them and they are in demand so it would seem like steady work at decent pay.

I swear: I'm considering contacting a plumber, electrician, Carpenter, roofer, shoe repairman, (and whom ever else) and offering them a $1000.00 retainer if they will agree to respond on the day I call them. Well not really, but....

Still...not a good idea to beat the hell out of the handle of a pipe wrench. (Yes, TVguy, I DID try some penetrating oil...let it set for 40 minuets) 

I used to have a plumber who was awesome, always got same day or next day service. But then he screwed up what should of been a simple job for me pretty badly, I ended up getting my $$ back from him and I made the decision not to use him ever again, the way he handled it was very poor and he only owned up to it after I called him out on it. Knock on wood, I have not yet needed a plumber since.

However, good luck finding a carpenter/contractor, I tried all summer to get someone to bid a small repair job for us and flat had people turning it down. "i'm just too busy, i may be able to get to it but it will be at least 6months before I can even look at it" or they would just flat out suggest I call someone else. And I'm thinking wow, must be nice to be in a position to turn down work! Anyway, the job sits undone, I finally said to hell with it.
(09-13-2017, 02:35 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: the drainage pipe under my kitchen sick, from the trap to the galvanized house drain rotted out and sprung a leak. (They don't make stuff like the used to: The thing was only 50 years old, or so) 
No acceptable.

But...

All yous need wuz a sawsall a couple hose clamps and a radiator hose.
(09-13-2017, 03:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:
No acceptable.

But...

I've done things like that.
(09-13-2017, 06:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
No acceptable.

But...

Haven't we all! There are folks out there who demand the very best. God love and keep 'em. Some of us do what we can to make it work, hoping to go to bed with nothing needed that will keep us awake half the night.
(09-13-2017, 06:27 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
No acceptable.

But...

Haven't we all! There are folks out there who demand the very best. God love and keep 'em. Some of us do what we can to make it work, hoping to go to bed with nothing needed that will keep us awake half the night.

I did that on some buried pipes.
It only lasted about five years before the hose clamps rusted out.
(09-14-2017, 06:33 AM)chuck white Wrote:
No acceptable.

But...

Life is hard.  Smiling . Stainless steel clamps?
Forceps
(09-14-2017, 12:21 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Forceps
Absolutely not! Look what happened to your head.  Laughing
(09-14-2017, 07:38 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 03:07 PM)tvguy Wrote: All yous need wuz a sawsall a couple hose clamps and a radiator hose.

That's what I thought Wonky , I only buy the SS type. "Gates" if they have them.
(09-14-2017, 03:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 06:20 PM)Juniper Wrote: I've done things like that.

That's what I thought Wonky , I only buy the SS type. "Gates" if they have them.

I buy 'em at Harbor Freight. About one in three is bad, but it's still a bargain. And, I've reached that age when things rusting out don't concern me a bit.  Laughing
(09-14-2017, 04:33 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 06:27 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Haven't we all! There are folks out there who demand the very best. God love and keep 'em. Some of us do what we can to make it work, hoping to go to bed with nothing needed that will keep us awake half the night.

. And, I've reached that age when things rusting out don't concern me a bit.  Laughing

Well then hell, in that case neither should "the breach"  Razz
(09-14-2017, 05:19 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 06:33 AM)chuck white Wrote: I did that on some buried pipes.

. And, I've reached that age when things rusting out don't concern me a bit.  Laughing

Really? If I live another couple of years I don't want to have to live with my daughter because some asshole got into my bit of retirement money.
(09-14-2017, 05:22 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 07:38 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Life is hard.  Smiling . Stainless steel clamps?

Really? If I live another couple of years I don't want to have to live with my daughter because some asshole got into my bit of retirement money.

[Image: _v=1474650564]
(09-14-2017, 07:38 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Life is hard.  Smiling . Stainless steel clamps?

Where the heck do you keep that money? Mattress or buried in the yard? Razz

My SSI as well as a monthly pension goes in to a bank account where it stays briefly before it electronically pays bills.
So that part of my money never builds up much. So if it got hacked that would suck but not all that bad.
(09-14-2017, 05:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 03:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: That's what I thought Wonky , I only buy the SS type. "Gates" if they have them.

My SSI as well as a monthly pension goes in to a bank account where it stays briefly before it electronically pays bills.
So that part of my money never builds up much. So if it got hacked that would suck but not all that bad.

Own property?
(09-15-2017, 10:59 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 04:33 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: . And, I've reached that age when things rusting out don't concern me a bit.  Laughing

Own property?
Are saying that if someone gets my SS number they can take my land?
(09-15-2017, 12:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Own property?

Laughing
Evidently with an ss # they can steal your identity, your land, hell maybe even your wife!
(09-15-2017, 04:51 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 05:22 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Really? If I live another couple of years I don't want to have to live with my daughter because some asshole got into my bit of retirement money.

Own property?

Laughing
Evidently with an ss # they can steal your identity, your land, hell maybe even your wife!

Wow, now it might just be worth it, 

[Image: 51VY71HJ7ZL._SL500_SS500_.jpg]

Own property?

Yep. That's what I read. Most often, they steal you identity, make a copy of your deed, and borrow the max against the property. In a perfect world you should be able to prove you were in the outhouse that day and could not have "done the deal". Nope. From things I've read you have to get a lawyer and prove the point. Takes time. Takes money.