A Letter To The Editor
(09-17-2017, 02:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 02:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 11:16 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 10:37 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 10:25 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Maybe a week?

But I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to protect my survival kit so it survives.   Unsure

I dunno. A steel trunk? Inside a old '36 Ford in the back yard? A hole in the ground? 

Canned goods are tough. Water in a jeep can (with a bit of bleach, changed every so often) and then a simple little camping filter to clear it. (and if your water heater survives you have a supply of water) A good shovel (your toilet won't work). Flashlight batteries won't break when falling. Fire making tools are available. A saw will hold up in an earthquake.

Or do nothing. You will be joined by millions of other folks.  Wink

OK. But my point is this. I'll use our own particular (predicted) local earthquake disaster as an example.

My survival kit is stored in the house to keep it protected from the weather, rodents and other critters and such. In a BIG earthquake, as you are suggesting, the house can collapse, catch on fire from the gas line breaking, get crushed by falling trees, whatever. Now, if it's burned I've lost my survival stuff. If it hasn't burned, I'll need tools and gloves, boots, safety glasses (to be OSHA approved Cool ) to try to remove the unstable debris to get at my survival stuff. That's if the water line breaking hasn't reduced it to a soggy mess.

Do you see the problem? It's more involved then just putting a spoon, a can of chili and a bottle of water in the cupboard. Lots of stuff for you to obsess over.

By the way, I don't have much confidence in your '36 Ford trunk in the backyard. Mice will get into that by the end of the week, no problem.   Crying

You don't have any out buildings? If you are serious what cant you just store all that stuff in a barrel or several barrels? With sealed tops. You could even bury them.

Yes. Or as I suggested earlier, a steel trunk. (I have a old diamond plate tool chest for a pickup). 
And there is probably nothing that is fail safe. 
Still, does not hurt to prepare as best as possible. 

PS: The one thing I DON'T have is a big gun to shoot the assholes who didn't prepare and are coming for my food.

Sic your cat on them.
(09-17-2017, 02:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 02:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 02:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 11:16 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 10:37 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I dunno. A steel trunk? Inside a old '36 Ford in the back yard? A hole in the ground? 

Canned goods are tough. Water in a jeep can (with a bit of bleach, changed every so often) and then a simple little camping filter to clear it. (and if your water heater survives you have a supply of water) A good shovel (your toilet won't work). Flashlight batteries won't break when falling. Fire making tools are available. A saw will hold up in an earthquake.

Or do nothing. You will be joined by millions of other folks.  Wink

OK. But my point is this. I'll use our own particular (predicted) local earthquake disaster as an example.

My survival kit is stored in the house to keep it protected from the weather, rodents and other critters and such. In a BIG earthquake, as you are suggesting, the house can collapse, catch on fire from the gas line breaking, get crushed by falling trees, whatever. Now, if it's burned I've lost my survival stuff. If it hasn't burned, I'll need tools and gloves, boots, safety glasses (to be OSHA approved Cool ) to try to remove the unstable debris to get at my survival stuff. That's if the water line breaking hasn't reduced it to a soggy mess.

Do you see the problem? It's more involved then just putting a spoon, a can of chili and a bottle of water in the cupboard. Lots of stuff for you to obsess over.

By the way, I don't have much confidence in your '36 Ford trunk in the backyard. Mice will get into that by the end of the week, no problem.   Crying

You don't have any out buildings? If you are serious what cant you just store all that stuff in a barrel or several barrels? With sealed tops. You could even bury them.

Yes. Or as I suggested earlier, a steel trunk. (I have a old diamond plate tool chest for a pickup). 
And there is probably nothing that is fail safe. 
Still, does not hurt to prepare as best as possible. 

PS: The one thing I DON'T have is a big gun to shoot the assholes who didn't prepare and are coming for my food.

Sic your cat on them.

Damn straight. Cat piss on your boots can make you "get the hell out of Dodge".
(09-17-2017, 02:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: PS: The one thing I DON'T have is a big gun to shoot the assholes who didn't prepare and are coming for my food.

Wish I could help, but you have stated more than once that you don't even believe I should be allowed to own one.....
(09-17-2017, 04:51 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 02:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: PS: The one thing I DON'T have is a big gun to shoot the assholes who didn't prepare and are coming for my food.

Wish I could help, but you have stated more than once that you don't even believe I should be allowed to own one.....

That's because you're mean and ignorant. Wonky believes he's not so it'd OK.

It's just a theory.
(09-17-2017, 05:25 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

It's just a theory.

An ignorant theory, but a theory, nonetheless.
(09-17-2017, 07:46 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(09-17-2017, 05:25 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

It's just a theory.

An ignorant theory, but a theory, nonetheless.

We'll see where the evidence leads.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help. Ronald Reagan
ask a Floridian or Texan.
(09-18-2017, 01:01 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help. Ronald Reagan
ask a Floridian or Texan.

Exaggerator much? Is it not the government with helicopters lifting people off of roofs and saving lives in many ways?
Or supplying food ,water and shelter?

Is this terrifying to those people?.......

[Image: image.jpg]
TeeVee, it means two things, be prepared and points out a GOP presidents damage toward peoples view of their govt. No exaggeration on part, your part yes,

Just stock some poisonous food with your other supplies. If someone takes it, the jokes on them.
Laughing
If you want to know why you should prepare for a disaster and what you should prepare for, just watch what's happening in Puerto Rico.
(09-28-2017, 07:13 PM)Cuzz Wrote: If you want to know why you should prepare for a disaster and what you should prepare for, just watch what's happening in Puerto Rico.

Of course it works a lot better if you aren't under water.
(09-28-2017, 07:13 PM)Cuzz Wrote: If you want to know why you should prepare for a disaster and what you should prepare for, just watch what's happening in Puerto Rico.

My brother called to ask me about a generator because he read the article in the MMT about the impending Earthquake.

I thought some of his questions were rather funny.
First he wanted to know what size generator he needed for a fridge a coffee maker and a blow dryer Laughing Laughing

And then said with a generator he could charge his phone. I said well if there are still cell towers you could always charge you phone in his truck or the wife's car. But neither had a 12 volt phone charger.

So it made me wonder. I would think that should be part of a be prepared list. And or also I have a couple on 12 volt to 120 volt inverters that you just alligator clip to a car battery.
That could be on a list IMO.

Oh yeah and a few tanks of propane and a BBQ. you can do a LOT of cooking with one 5 gallon tank. Not to mention make coffee LOL.
(09-28-2017, 08:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:

My brother called to ask me about a generator because he read the article in the MMT about the impending Earthquake.

I thought some of his questions were rather funny.
First he wanted to know what size generator he needed for a fridge a coffee maker and a blow dryer Laughing Laughing

And then said with a generator he could charge his phone. I said well if there are still cell towers you could always charge you phone in his truck or the wife's car. But neither had a 12 volt phone charger.

So it made me wonder. I would think that should be part of a be prepared list. And or also I have a couple on 12 volt to 120 volt inverters that you just alligator clip to a car battery.
That could be on a list IMO.

Oh yeah and a few tanks of propane and a BBQ. you can do a LOT of cooking with one 5 gallon tank. Not to mention make coffee LOL.

Laughing  Yeah, sometimes the easy stuff works just as well. I once cooked off a coleman camp stove for an extended period because I didn't want to buy a kitchen stove I knew I would just be selling again. 

Good point about the cell sites. They can withstand a lot but their batteries and generators only last so long.
(09-28-2017, 07:53 PM)Juniper Wrote:

True enough. Each area has their own particular disaster scenario.

I think the lesson of Puerto Rico's experience is the delayed help. For whatever reason it can be a seemingly long time without outside help. I think a lot of people believe that should something happen to them the FEMA trucks will just come rolling up before the next episode of the evening news. They might, but I don't want to count on it.
(09-29-2017, 08:26 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

I think the lesson of Puerto Rico's experience is the delayed help. For whatever reason it can be a seemingly long time without outside help. I think a lot of people believe that should something happen to them the FEMA trucks will just come rolling up before the next episode of the evening news. They might, but I don't want to count on it.
Yes. Might be best to have a 12 oz bottle of water, a bag of peanuts, a small flashlight, and a windbreaker.  Wink
(09-29-2017, 08:33 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Yes. Might be best to have a 12 oz bottle of water, a bag of peanuts, a small flashlight, and a windbreaker.  Wink

And if all else fails: 

Say one is 90 years old, in failing health, weak, and alone. THEN a 9.0 Richter Scale earthquake slams the Rogue Valley. 
They tell us not to expect help from outside for a prolonged period. 
Now, say this 90 year old has prepared, at least to the minimum extent, for this disaster. Has some water, canned food, a flashlight, 30 day supply of meds, a small tent and a sleeping bag. All in a safe and secure place. 
what if it happens in extreme weather, hot or cold? Rain, snow, or blistering heat. 
This 90 year old may have to build a fire, erect a tent, use a bucket for a toilet, and hopefully not run out of meds. This person could suffer for some time before dying.
Should this 90 year old include in his/her things to prepare, this? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_bag
(09-29-2017, 09:41 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: And if all else fails: 

Say one is 90 years old, in failing health, weak, and alone. THEN a 9.0 Richter Scale earthquake slams the Rogue Valley. 
Now, say this 90 year old has prepared, at least to the minimum extent, for this disaster. Has some water, canned food, a flashlight, 30 day supply of meds, a small tent and a sleeping bag. All in a safe and secure place. 
what if it happens in extreme weather, hot or cold? Rain, snow, or blistering heat. 
This 90 year old may have to build a fire, erect a tent, use a bucket for a toilet, and hopefully not run out of meds. This person could suffer for some time before dying.

welcome back
(09-29-2017, 09:57 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 09:41 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: And if all else fails: 

welcome back
Thanks. From time to time I'll pop up.
Events and discussions in my own life with regard to the possibly of a mega quake in my lifetime makes this something I'm more aware of than most times.
(09-29-2017, 09:41 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 08:33 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

And if all else fails: 

What if it happens in extreme weather, hot or cold? Rain, snow, or blistering heat.

As far as the heat, Build a fire? That's where  propane tanks come in. As far as needing AC You would be out of luck. But we don't have the high humidity so I don't think OUR heat spells are as deadly.

And about the suffocation bag? Well anyone severely injured could need that. I would rather just have a gun.