A Letter To The Editor
(09-29-2017, 12:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 09:41 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 08:33 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 08:26 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-28-2017, 07:53 PM)Juniper Wrote: Of course it works a lot better if you aren't under water.

True enough. Each area has their own particular disaster scenario.

I think the lesson of Puerto Rico's experience is the delayed help. For whatever reason it can be a seemingly long time without outside help. I think a lot of people believe that should something happen to them the FEMA trucks will just come rolling up before the next episode of the evening news. They might, but I don't want to count on it.
Yes. Might be best to have a 12 oz bottle of water, a bag of peanuts, a small flashlight, and a windbreaker.  Wink

And if all else fails: 

Say one is 90 years old, in failing health, weak, and alone. THEN a 9.0 Richter Scale earthquake slams the Rogue Valley. 
They tell us not to expect help from outside for a prolonged period. 
Now, say this 90 year old has prepared, at least to the minimum extent, for this disaster. Has some water, canned food, a flashlight, 30 day supply of meds, a small tent and a sleeping bag. All in a safe and secure place. 
what if it happens in extreme weather, hot or cold? Rain, snow, or blistering heat. 
This 90 year old may have to build a fire, erect a tent, use a bucket for a toilet, and hopefully not run out of meds. This person could suffer for some time before dying.
Should this 90 year old include in his/her things to prepare, this? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_bag
What if it happens in extreme weather, hot or cold? Rain, snow, or blistering heat.

As far as the heat, Build a fire? That's where  propane tanks come in. As far as needing AC You would be out of luck. But we don't have the high humidity so I don't think OUR heat spells are as deadly.

And about the suffocation bag? Well anyone severely injured could need that. I would rather just have a gun.

Sure, a gun is an option. Quick, very little prep time or getting gear ready. It does however leave one hell of a mess for others to witness and maybe clean up. Ever seen a body with half a head missing? (Or I could shoot myself in the foot and just bleed to death  Wink ) 
The wider point maybe, should "we" (whomever that is) start thinking about humane ways to help those very elderly, extremely ill, or otherwise near death, exit in ways a less traumatic way?
Triage, in it's simplest terms. 
Let's hope we don't have to face this in our lifetime. 

A reference worth thinking about: "Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital", by Sheri Fink. 
(09-29-2017, 02:16 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 08:33 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 08:26 AM)Cuzz Wrote: True enough. Each area has their own particular disaster scenario.

I think the lesson of Puerto Rico's experience is the delayed help. For whatever reason it can be a seemingly long time without outside help. I think a lot of people believe that should something happen to them the FEMA trucks will just come rolling up before the next episode of the evening news. They might, but I don't want to count on it.
Yes. Might be best to have a 12 oz bottle of water, a bag of peanuts, a small flashlight, and a windbreaker.  Wink

And if all else fails: 

Say one is 90 years old, in failing health, weak, and alone. THEN a 9.0 Richter Scale earthquake slams the Rogue Valley. 
Now, say this 90 year old has prepared, at least to the minimum extent, for this disaster. Has some water, canned food, a flashlight, 30 day supply of meds, a small tent and a sleeping bag. All in a safe and secure place. 
what if it happens in extreme weather, hot or cold? Rain, snow, or blistering heat. 
This 90 year old may have to build a fire, erect a tent, use a bucket for a toilet, and hopefully not run out of meds. This person could suffer for some time before dying.

What if it happens in extreme weather, hot or cold? Rain, snow, or blistering heat.

As far as the heat, Build a fire? That's where  propane tanks come in. As far as needing AC You would be out of luck. But we don't have the high humidity so I don't think OUR heat spells are as deadly.

And about the suffocation bag? Well anyone severely injured could need that. I would rather just have a gun.

Sure, a gun is an option. Quick, very little prep time or getting gear ready. It does however leave one hell of a mess for others to witness and maybe clean up. Ever seen a body with half a head missing? (Or I could shoot myself in the foot and just bleed to death  Wink ) 
The wider point maybe, should "we" (whomever that is) start thinking about humane ways to help those very elderly, extremely ill, or otherwise near death, exit in ways a less traumatic way?

A reference worth thinking about: "Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital", by Sheri Fink. 
Why couldn't you just get some strong pain pills and overdose?

Hasn't this been an ongoing issue that is indeed looked at?
(09-29-2017, 02:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 08:33 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Yes. Might be best to have a 12 oz bottle of water, a bag of peanuts, a small flashlight, and a windbreaker.  Wink

And if all else fails: 

About strong pain pills and overdose: Sounds like a plan, but I've heard (not sure about this) that often people take "the wrong amount" and puke them up and then are still alive but sick.  Wink . I guess the trick would be to do "due diligence" and research that before the fact. Then, it sounds like a good option. And, I don't mean to be less than sincere in saying this either: That going out on a good dose of heroin might not be so bad either. I knew a guy who OD'd but lived and always said it would be a great way to go...but that was HIS view of the experience...not sure it's universal) 

And yes, there is a lot of talk (good, in my opinion) about people ending their lives on their own terms when faced with impending death or the threat of living in pain for a long time. What I was suggesting goes a bit beyond that and I'm not at all sure that it's a great idea. Thing is, as "an older person", I gotta tell you that I'm not sure I'd want to survive a huge earthquake and then suffer the indignities of not being able to cope due to physical limitations and the plain old aches and pains that accompany aging. 

By the way, if you get a chance, Google the "Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital", by Sheri Fink" and just read the review. A truly remarkable story! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Days_at_Memorial

PS: Damned if I know why SOMETIMES I copy these links and they don't highlight. I must being doing something wrong but not sure what. (Tried difference browsers) 
(09-29-2017, 03:34 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 09:41 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: And if all else fails: 

About strong pain pills and overdose: Sounds like a plan, but I've heard (not sure about this) that often people take "the wrong amount" and puke them up and then are still alive but sick.  Wink . I guess the trick would be to do "due diligence" and research that before the fact. Then, it sounds like a good option. And, I don't mean to be less than sincere in saying this either: That going out on a good dose of heroin might not be so bad either. I knew a guy who OD'd but lived and always said it would be a great way to go...but that was HIS view of the experience...not sure it's universal) 

And yes, there is a lot of talk (good, in my opinion) about people ending their lives on their own terms when faced with impending death or the threat of living in pain for a long time. What I was suggesting goes a bit beyond that and I'm not at all sure that it's a great idea. Thing is, as "an older person", I gotta tell you that I'm not sure I'd want to survive a huge earthquake and then suffer the indignities of not being able to cope due to physical limitations and the plain old aches and pains that accompany aging. 

By the way, if you get a chance, Google the "Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital", by Sheri Fink" and just read the review. A truly remarkable story! 

PS: Damned if I know why SOMETIMES I copy these links and they don't highlight. I must being doing something wrong but not sure what. (Tried difference browsers) 

[url= https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Days_at_Memorial][/url]
(09-29-2017, 03:51 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 12:35 PM)tvguy Wrote: What if it happens in extreme weather, hot or cold? Rain, snow, or blistering heat.

Thanks. Now tell me what I'm doing wrong.  Wink
(09-29-2017, 04:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 02:16 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Sure, a gun is an option. Quick, very little prep time or getting gear ready. It does however leave one hell of a mess for others to witness and maybe clean up. Ever seen a body with half a head missing? (Or I could shoot myself in the foot and just bleed to death  Wink ) 

In this environment you need to use the Link button at the top of the Reply window (box) whatever, and paste the link into the box.

Something was kind'a weird with this link though. I had to fiddle with it to get it to work right. It might not have been your fault. Anyway, thanks for the link. I think I'd like to read the book.
(09-29-2017, 04:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 02:30 PM)tvguy Wrote: Why couldn't you just get some strong pain pills and overdose?

In this environment you need to use the Link button at the top of the Reply window (box) whatever, and paste the link into the box.

Something was kind'a weird with this link though. I had to fiddle with it to get it to work right. It might not have been your fault. Anyway, thanks for the link. I think I'd like to read the book.
Thanks! I was not even aware of the link feature at the top of the page.  Embarrassed 

The book was a good, if somewhat depressing read. I heard the nurse who wrote it and two of the physicians who were on scene interviewed on FRESH AIR. All well spoken, reasonable sounding people.
(09-29-2017, 04:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 03:34 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: About strong pain pills and overdose: Sounds like a plan, but I've heard (not sure about this) that often people take "the wrong amount" and puke them up and then are still alive but sick.  Wink . I guess the trick would be to do "due diligence" and research that before the fact. Then, it sounds like a good option. And, I don't mean to be less than sincere in saying this either: That going out on a good dose of heroin might not be so bad either. I knew a guy who OD'd but lived and always said it would be a great way to go...but that was HIS view of the experience...not sure it's universal) 

Thanks! I was not even aware of the link feature at the top of the page.  Embarrassed 

The book was a good, if somewhat depressing read. I heard the nurse who wrote it and two of the physicians who were on scene interviewed on FRESH AIR. All well spoken, reasonable sounding people.

The book was a good, if somewhat depressing read

Well after that review I'm going to rush out and get a copy Laughing Razz Wink Wink
(09-29-2017, 05:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 03:51 PM)Cuzz Wrote: [url= https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Days_at_Memorial][/url]

Well after that review I'm going to rush out and get a copy Laughing Razz Wink Wink

Yes...but doesn't really express your thoughts about the issue. 
Maybe you just can't tolerate any report of depressing events. (Don't read "The Onion Field", a fascinating true story) 
This is a report about the decisions professional medical staff had to make about the outcome, comfort, and lives of the   people over whom they had complete control. Even more, it's the story of the how the professional staff had to confront and deal with the ethical decisions they made,  the conflicts of law, and the effects in had on their lives after the event. 
And more than that, it opened the discussion of how actions in situations like this in future tragedies might be addressed and handled. 

But, don't get a copy. It's not required.  Smiling
(09-30-2017, 09:31 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 04:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Thanks. Now tell me what I'm doing wrong.  Wink

Maybe you just can't tolerate any report of depressing events. (Don't read "The Onion Field", a fascinating true story) 
This is a report about the decisions professional medical staff had to make about the outcome, comfort, and lives of the   people over whom they had complete control. Even more, it's the story of the how the professional staff had to confront and deal with the ethical decisions they made,  the conflicts of law, and the effects in had on their lives after the event. 
And more than that, it opened the discussion of how actions in situations like this in future tragedies might be addressed and handled. 

Never mind Wonky. Some people read for enjoyment and nothing wrong with that. TV makes a good point. This subject is a pretty sober one. I'd like to read it for the subject discussion cause it's likely to come up again.
(09-30-2017, 10:11 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 04:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote: In this environment you need to use the Link button at the top of the Reply window (box) whatever, and paste the link into the box.

Never mind Wonky. Some people read for enjoyment and nothing wrong with that. TV makes a good point. This subject is a pretty sober one. I'd like to read it for the subject discussion cause it's likely to come up again.
Yep, it's bound to come up again. How it will be handled may have a lot to do with the events in New Orleans described in that book. 
And, I too read for enjoyment! Love reading for that reason.
I don't look for books with "depressing" subjects. I do pay attention to books that deal with topical issues, even if not happy stories.
(09-29-2017, 04:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Thanks. Now tell me what I'm doing wrong.  Wink

WOW take a chill pill lol. Where did your sense of humor go? I don't even like the term Butthurt but it sure seems to describe you right now.
It was a JOKE . Did you notice the THREE smilies and the last was a WINK?

Sorry I had no clue that was required , But if I must then I will tell you that I don't ever see my self interested in a book about people suffering and dying in a hospital for five days.
NOT because it's depressing. Truman Capote's "in cold blood" was depressing but still great.
But because it sounds BORING.
(09-30-2017, 04:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 04:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote: In this environment you need to use the Link button at the top of the Reply window (box) whatever, and paste the link into the box.

WOW take a chill pill lol. Where did your sense of humor go? I don't even like the term Butthurt but it sure seems to describe you right now.

Sorry I had no clue that was required , But if I must then I will tell you that I don't ever see my self interested in a book about people suffering and dying in a hospital for five days.
NOT because it's depressing. Truman Capote's "in cold blood" was depressing but still great.

Sorry I misread your post. I thought you're attitude was very different than what you are suggesting. I even misread the smiles, thinking they were more sarcastic than funny. I need to pay more attention I guess.
The only reason I said the thing about expressing your thoughts was that you had little to say about the events the book explains. 
Again...didn't pick up on the joke. Sorry 'bout that.
(09-30-2017, 08:04 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-30-2017, 04:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 04:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Thanks! I was not even aware of the link feature at the top of the page.  Embarrassed 

Sorry I misread your post. I thought you're attitude was very different than what you are suggesting. I even misread the smiles, thinking they were more sarcastic than funny. I need to pay more attention I guess.
The only reason I said the thing about expressing your thoughts was that you had little to say about the events the book explains. 
Again...didn't pick up on the joke. Sorry 'bout that.
No worries Smiling

I have no idea of what to say about what the book explains other than it's sad and probably happening in Puerto Rico as we speak.