VIETNAM: The PBS Series
(09-24-2017, 09:46 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 08:26 AM)Scrapper Wrote: [Image: 14440695_872488116221303_358643627748800...e=5A42C243]

Vietnam "era" Veterans.
You simply can't hold a thought more than 3 seconds.
Of course we honor veterans. Many of us here at the RFV are veterans. 
In an earlier post I remarked that there is a distinction unique to COMBAT veterans. I went to some length to explain why I felt that way and why the military also make a distinction by awarding the COMBAT RIBBON. 

Think about it. Or not: I don't really care.

In an earlier post I remarked that there is a distinction unique to COMBAT veterans. I went to some length to explain why I felt that way and why the military also make a distinction by awarding the COMBAT RIBBON.

You started your usual blabber and lecturing and you felt for some odd fucking season that YOU needed to explain what a combat veteran goes through.
But NO one had said otherwise! No one said a combat vet and a vet who didn't see combat had the same experience.
So you basically invented something to bitch about.
(09-24-2017, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 10:10 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 07:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 07:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 04:08 PM)tvguy Wrote: Whatever Wonky, the topic was Vietnam and then went to Nixon. So I said

he just promised to end the war to get elected and then actually increased the fighting.

And for some odd strange reason you brought up that that it was not when he was vice president. And directed me to part of your article???
So Freaking what? What did that have to do with what I said?
So I thought maybe you thought you were talking to someone else.

Exactly. You "went" to Nixon. Thing is, up to that point we had been discussing Nixon's actions when he was vice president and helped shift a lot of our money to the French. 
When you "went" to Nixon you made a pivot completely out of context. And THAT was the only point I was making, because it was a giant leap from the mid 50's to 1968 when he became president. 

Still, not worth having a gun fight in the street. Pivot at will. Just give us a heads up.

Wonky....."When you "went" to Nixon you made a pivot completely out of context."

I said Nixon escalated the Vietnam War on a thread about the Vietnam war right after both You and chuck mentioned Nixon's name.

And that was "completely out of context" ?

You are completely out of your fucking mind.

Maybe. But at least I can follow a train of thought and not ignore the obvious. 
Simply go back and review the sequence of the conversations I cut and pasted in for you.
Ever heard of a segue?
You could have just as easily posted any number of things Nixon said and did about Vietnam while president. 
Thing is, that was not the point. The discussion in this episode of VIETMAN that Chuck made reference to, and what I replied to, was what he did while VICE PRESIDENT in the 50's, not as president in the 70's. 
But you are the king of "the pivot" (watch any politician answering a direct question: They don't: they "pivot" and change the subject).
Continuity matters, even here. At least it should. 
But hey, go ahead with "free association" anytime you feel the need.

Yep. The fact that you STILL can't see that my comment about Nixon was not off topic proves

I REPEAT!.... I said Nixon escalated the Vietnam War on a thread about the Vietnam war right after both You and chuck mentioned Nixon's name.

And that was "completely out of context" ? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm getting tired of this. 
But, you don't get the privilege of your own definitions. 

From Webster's:

in context considered together with the surrounding words or circumstances: it is difficult now to view these masterpieces in context.out of context without the surrounding words or circumstances and so not fully understandable:comments that aides have long insisted were taken out of context.
(09-24-2017, 02:36 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 07:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 07:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Exactly. You "went" to Nixon. Thing is, up to that point we had been discussing Nixon's actions when he was vice president and helped shift a lot of our money to the French. 
When you "went" to Nixon you made a pivot completely out of context. And THAT was the only point I was making, because it was a giant leap from the mid 50's to 1968 when he became president. 

Still, not worth having a gun fight in the street. Pivot at will. Just give us a heads up.

Wonky....."When you "went" to Nixon you made a pivot completely out of context."

I said Nixon escalated the Vietnam War on a thread about the Vietnam war right after both You and chuck mentioned Nixon's name.

Simply go back and review the sequence of the conversations I cut and pasted in for you.
Ever heard of a segue?
You could have just as easily posted any number of things Nixon said and did about Vietnam while president. 
Thing is, that was not the point. The discussion in this episode of VIETMAN that Chuck made reference to, and what I replied to, was what he did while VICE PRESIDENT in the 50's, not as president in the 70's. 
But you are the king of "the pivot" (watch any politician answering a direct question: They don't: they "pivot" and change the subject).

Yep. The fact that you STILL can't see that my comment about Nixon was not off topic proves

I REPEAT!.... I said Nixon escalated the Vietnam War on a thread about the Vietnam war right after both You and chuck mentioned Nixon's name.

From Webster's:

in context considered together with the surrounding words or circumstances: it is difficult now to view these masterpieces in context.out of context without the surrounding words or circumstances and so not fully understandable:comments that aides have long insisted were taken out of context.

Then stop being ridiculous.
(09-24-2017, 03:11 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 07:38 PM)tvguy Wrote: Wonky....."When you "went" to Nixon you made a pivot completely out of context."

Ever heard of a segue?

From Webster's:

So, to the point: What do you think of the PBS Series?
(09-24-2017, 04:22 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-23-2017, 10:10 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Maybe. But at least I can follow a train of thought and not ignore the obvious. 
Ever heard of a segue?

From Webster's:

I haven't watched it yet. Not sure I will.
(09-23-2017, 10:10 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Maybe. But at least I can follow a train of thought and not ignore the obvious. 
Ever heard of a segue?

From Webster's:

It's very good.  I'm only one and half episodes in.  I'm not sure if it's as moving as the Civil War.  I actually don't always watch Ken Burns because I'm not always that interested in his subject matter.  So, I'm trying to think of what else of his I've watched.  The War. I enjoyed that one immensely also. Lewis and Clark.  This one is a bit less inviting ...so far.. I haven't given up on it though.
(09-24-2017, 05:49 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: Yep. The fact that you STILL can't see that my comment about Nixon was not off topic proves

From Webster's:

It's very good.  I'm only one and half episodes in.  I'm not sure if it's as moving as the Civil War.  I actually don't always watch Ken Burns because I'm not always that interested in his subject matter.  So, I'm trying to think of what else of his I've watched.  The War. I enjoyed that one immensely also. Lewis and Clark.  This one is a bit less inviting ...so far.. I haven't given up on it though.
  Do they stop in the middle of every episode and beg for money for 10 minutes?
I notice many friends over on FB my age who went through growing up and becoming an adult during this time period and, like me, have no desire to relive what was a very sad and bad time in America, both personally and for the nation.
(09-24-2017, 06:32 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I notice many friends over on FB my age who went through growing up and becoming an adult during this time period and, like me, have no desire to relive what was a very sad and bad time in America, both personally and for the nation.

Bingo.
(09-24-2017, 06:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 06:32 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I notice many friends over on FB my age who went through growing up and becoming an adult during this time period and, like me, have no desire to relive what was a very sad and bad time in America, both personally and for the nation.

Bingo.

Yes, and they are talking about that a lot! Nothing but praise (so far) for the "grunts" who served there and lots and lots of criticism about the generals and civilian leadership. 
It's an important period in our history and while I find a lot of it difficult to watch, I appreciate knowing the facts and some detail of the events.
Like Tia (Juniper) I have not enjoyed ALL of Ken Burn's stuff: Wasn't crazy about his "The West" for instance. 
Often, Burn's offers companion book after the series. I bought the Civil War companion book. I'd buy the book about this series too. 
It's not difficult to understand that many remember this as a painful and ugly time, and would not want to watch it. I'm glad we have the choice.
(09-24-2017, 06:22 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 02:36 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I'm getting tired of this. 

From Webster's:

Not this time...well, I don't think so...I'm watching it online, not at the show time.  But I'm slow, and it might be gone by the time I get through the 3rd one.
(09-25-2017, 06:38 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Not this time...well, I don't think so...I'm watching it online, not at the show time.  But I'm slow, and it might be gone by the time I get through the 3rd one.

I think they only beg for money when the show is on PBS and they have a bunch of volunteers to answer the phones,
I actually called one time and asked if I gave money would they still interrupt the show in the future.

It was hilarious because I actually saw the guy who answered my call and the expression on his face was classic. Laughing Laughing Laughing
(09-25-2017, 06:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-25-2017, 06:38 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 04:22 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: So, to the point: What do you think of the PBS Series?

I think they only beg for money when the show is on PBS and they have a bunch of volunteers to answer the phones,
I actually called one time and asked if I gave money would they still interrupt the show in the future.

It was hilarious because I actually saw the guy who answered my call and the expression on his face was classic. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Laughing
(09-20-2017, 10:31 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Anyone watching this? 

I recored and watched the 1st installment. All kinds of interesting historical stuff I was not aware of. (But, admit to being ignorant of that history in general). For instance, didn't know the U.S. subsidized the French prior to 1954 to the tune of almost a billion dollars. 

Curious to what other here think about this, and what our attitudes might be as the series continues.

Best documentary i have seen on that conflict
I've now watched all 10 episodes. I thought it was very well done. I learned a lot, especially about the conduct of our national leaders. Much of the war film and photos were hard to watch, but maybe a good cautionary tale. Can we use any of those lessons as we continue to fight in Afghanistan? 

In Vietnam our air force was almost completely unopposed and still the North prevailed. In Afghanistan the Taliban have no air force and have been battling us to a draw for some 16 years. Wonder what would happen if the Russians provided the Taliban with air power? 

Could get messy. 

Sing one chorus of "When we learn, when we we ever learn".
It better go to Netflix streaming, I'll never finish it at this rate.
(10-01-2017, 08:34 AM)Juniper Wrote: It better go to Netflix streaming, I'll never finish it at this rate.
Then do.  Wink
Tia has the power to dictate Netflix programming?
That's one powerful woman!
(10-01-2017, 08:42 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Tia has the power to dictate Netflix programming?

In good time.
Until then:

However, you can totally stream Ken Burns and Lynn Novick’s harrowing account of the Vietnam war for free right now. You can stream them on PBS.org or using the PBS app on your streaming devices. In fact, if you’ve already watched the first two episodes on broadcast, you can catch the next three on streaming before they even air. We’re not entirely sure if this specific rollout plan will stick — that is, you can catch more on streaming ahead of broadcast — but as of 5 PM today, you can watch the first five episodes in full on PBS.org when only the first two have aired. The entire series is available to stream for PBS Passport members.
(10-01-2017, 08:48 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-01-2017, 08:42 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Tia has the power to dictate Netflix programming?

In good time.
Until then:

However, you can totally stream Ken Burns and Lynn Novick’s harrowing account of the Vietnam war for free right now. You can stream them on PBS.org or using the PBS app on your streaming devices. In fact, if you’ve already watched the first two episodes on broadcast, you can catch the next three on streaming before they even air. We’re not entirely sure if this specific rollout plan will stick — that is, you can catch more on streaming ahead of broadcast — but as of 5 PM today, you can watch the first five episodes in full on PBS.org when only the first two have aired. The entire series is available to stream for PBS Passport members.