VIETNAM: The PBS Series
(09-21-2017, 12:23 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 09:42 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I didn't ask you to care. The VA cares and that's all that matters.
Fucking senile windbag.
If TV is eligible then my post served a purpose whether it has your blessing or not. Jesus.

Screw you and the white horse you rode in on. 
I posted (post #!) about the PBS series.
Your Post (#2, copy below)  was, per usual, sniveling, aggressive, and self centered.

"Among sane folk or all our resident chicken hawks?
As an aside to gpnative, I got a VA pension for being a Vietnam era veteran who is disabled when I turned 65. I hope that pisses you off as much as it makes me happy.  [Image: icon_rvf_biggrin.gif]
Full metal jacket for al!  [Image: icon_rvf_smile.gif] "

So you jumped from the PBS series to again piss and moan about your own selfish problems. 
Kiss my "fucking senile windbag" ass!

There now, don't we all feel a bit better? Laughing
(09-21-2017, 01:03 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 09:42 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I didn't ask you to care. The VA cares and that's all that matters.
Fucking senile windbag.
If TV is eligible then my post served a purpose whether it has your blessing or not. Jesus.

I agree.  

BTW, Vietnam "era" veterans are veterans.  Period.  They ALL served our Country.  It's offensive that an American citizen would think any less.  It takes EVERY service member in their different capacities... EACH & EVERY ONE.

Yeah I didn't like the the fact that Wonky thought it was necessary to type the word ERA in bold font.
(09-21-2017, 01:08 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 12:23 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
Fucking senile windbag.

Screw you and the white horse you rode in on. 
I posted (post #!) about the PBS series.
Your Post (#2, copy below)  was, per usual, sniveling, aggressive, and self centered.

"Among sane folk or all our resident chicken hawks?
As an aside to gpnative, I got a VA pension for being a Vietnam era veteran who is disabled when I turned 65. I hope that pisses you off as much as it makes me happy.  [Image: icon_rvf_biggrin.gif]
Full metal jacket for al!  [Image: icon_rvf_smile.gif] "

So you jumped from the PBS series to again piss and moan about your own selfish problems. 
Kiss my "fucking senile windbag" ass!

There now, don't we all feel a bit better? Laughing
I've got no problems. I was posting good news. Everyone who was of draftage was affected by  Vietnam.
Maybe someday you'll have the self awareness to find the reason you're  a sour hateful pompous windbag who is much too enamored of what you perceive as your own wittiness and intellect. Good luck.
(09-21-2017, 12:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 12:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 12:04 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 09:26 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 11:07 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Instead of. I still get my regular SS too. You might qualify. Lady at SS told me to apply.

So you were a Vietnam ERA veteran. Millions were, and are. Do we really care? (I don't) 

This PBS Series is about the experiences of the combat veterans who served there. 
But it appears to be much more than that. The history of our total involvement there, the political maneuverings that controlled the events, the social reactions here at home about that war, and the long lasting consequences of our intervention there. 
Like most history, it's a lesson to be learned.
I'm glad Ken Burns (and company) is giving us this comprehensive look at this important event about the history of our engaging in wars that more than likely did not threaten our national security.

Does it mention Vice President Nixon got us involved back in the late 50's?

Yes. However was not ONLY Nixon who opened that door.

No he just promised to end the war to get elected and then actually increased the fighting.

Not when he was VICE PRESIDENT. 
(See the PBS Series, ep.1)
(09-21-2017, 03:58 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 12:04 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 09:26 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: So you were a Vietnam ERA veteran. Millions were, and are. Do we really care? (I don't) 

This PBS Series is about the experiences of the combat veterans who served there. 
But it appears to be much more than that. The history of our total involvement there, the political maneuverings that controlled the events, the social reactions here at home about that war, and the long lasting consequences of our intervention there. 
Like most history, it's a lesson to be learned.
I'm glad Ken Burns (and company) is giving us this comprehensive look at this important event about the history of our engaging in wars that more than likely did not threaten our national security.

Does it mention Vice President Nixon got us involved back in the late 50's?

No he just promised to end the war to get elected and then actually increased the fighting.

What are you talking about?

Toward this end, Nixon and his advisors—including Secretary of Defense Melvin Laird—developed a new strategy they called Vietnamization. The Vietnamization plan provided for a gradual, phased withdrawal of American combat forces, combined with an expanded effort to train and equip South Vietnam to take over military responsibility for its own defense.

The president announced his Vietnamization strategy to the American people in a nationally televised speech on November 3, 1969. 

At the same time that the Vietnamization plan was put in place, however, the Nixon administration also escalated U.S. military activity in other parts of Southeast Asia. In April 1970, for example, the president secretly authorized bombing campaigns and a ground invasion of Cambodia, a neutral country.

When his expansion of the war came to public attention,
Nixon asserted that the incursion into Cambodia was necessary to keep pressure on the enemy until the Vietnamization strategy took root. The president’s actions nonetheless came under harsh criticism and prompted massive anti-war demonstrations across America
(09-21-2017, 04:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 03:58 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 12:04 PM)chuck white Wrote: Does it mention Vice President Nixon got us involved back in the late 50's?

What are you talking about?

Toward this end, Nixon and his advisors—including Secretary of Defense Melvin Laird—developed a new strategy they called Vietnamization. The Vietnamization plan provided for a gradual, phased withdrawal of American combat forces, combined with an expanded effort to train and equip South Vietnam to take over military responsibility for its own defense.

The president announced his Vietnamization strategy to the American people in a nationally televised speech on November 3, 1969. 

At the same time that the Vietnamization plan was put in place, however, the Nixon administration also escalated U.S. military activity in other parts of Southeast Asia. In April 1970, for example, the president secretly authorized bombing campaigns and a ground invasion of Cambodia, a neutral country.

When his expansion of the war came to public attention,
Nixon asserted that the incursion into Cambodia was necessary to keep pressure on the enemy until the Vietnamization strategy took root. The president’s actions nonetheless came under harsh criticism and prompted massive anti-war demonstrations across America

Jesus, quit shouting for christ's sake!

From VS post (#12) .."Does it mention Vice President Nixon got us involved back in the late 50's?"

Notice VICE PRESIDENT? Ya see, Nixon was not president during the 50's.  Laughing Laughing Laughing 

He was in involved in some underhanded dealings with the French (who, as you know, remained in Vietnam until 1954.) He was "tricky" even then and as a result the U.S. committed LOTS of money to the French war effort in Vietnam. (But you knew that  Razz )
Fucking senile windbag.

I agree.  

BTW, Vietnam "era" veterans are veterans.  Period.  They ALL served our Country.  It's offensive that an American citizen would think any less.  It takes EVERY service member in their different capacities... EACH & EVERY ONE.
As usual, you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground.
Vietnam ERA Veterans differ from combat veterans of the war in Vietnam. 
Combat vetreans faced despicable conditions, disease, wounds, and death. And even of those who escaped that, many came home damaged, some beyond healing. 
Vietnam ERA veterans faced paper cuts. 
Of course we honor ALL veterans for service to our country. But we acknowledge the difference. It's why the military issues the Combat Ribbon:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Action_Ribbon#p-search]
Combat Action Ribbon
[Image: 100px-Combat_Action_Ribbon.svg.png]

[Image: 100px-United_States_Coast_Guard_Combat_A...on.svg.png]
Top: Navy Combat Action Ribbon
Bottom: Coast Guard Combat Action Ribbon
Awarded by United States Navy
United States Marine Corps
United States Coast Guard

Type
Service ribbon (No medal; decoration)
Eligibility
Satisfactory performance under enemy fire while actively participating in a ground or maritime engagement.
Awarded for
Active participation in ground or surface combat on or after December 7, 1941.
Status
Current issue
Statistics
Established
Navy Combat Action Ribbon (U.S. Department of the Navy): February 17, 1969
Coast Guard Combat Action Ribbon (U.S. Department of Homeland Security): July 16, 2008
First awarded
Navy Combat Action Ribbon: 1969 (retroactive to March 1961)
Precedence
Next (higher)
Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
Coast Guard Commandant's Letter of Commendation
Equivalent
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Related
The Army Combat Infantryman BadgeCombat Medical Badge, and Combat Action Badge.

The Combat Action Ribbon (CAR), is a United States NavyUnited States Marine Corps and United States Coast Guard military decoration. The Navy CAR was authorized on 17 February 1969 and may be awarded to members of the Navy and Marine Corps in the grade of USN/USCG captain and below and USMC colonel and below, "...who have actively participated in ground or surface combat."
(09-21-2017, 05:00 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
Fucking senile windbag.

I agree.  

Combat vetreans faced despicable conditions, disease, wounds, and death. And even of those who escaped that, many came home damaged, some beyond healing. 
Of course we honor ALL veterans for service to our country. But we acknowledge the difference. It's why the military issues the Combat Ribbon:

Combat Action Ribbon

Type
Eligibility
Satisfactory performance under enemy fire while actively participating in a ground or maritime engagement.
Awarded for
Status
Current issue
Statistics
Established
Coast Guard Combat Action Ribbon (U.S. Department of Homeland Security): July 16, 2008
First awarded
Precedence
Next (higher)
Equivalent
Related

The Combat Action Ribbon (CAR), is a United States NavyUnited States Marine Corps and United States Coast Guard military decoration. The Navy CAR was authorized on 17 February 1969 and may be awarded to members of the Navy and Marine Corps in the grade of USN/USCG captain and below and USMC colonel and below, "...who have actively participated in ground or surface combat."

Paper cuts?
So, seems like things are the same as usual. Wonky doesn't give a fuck and is being a hall monitor? Don't you know you need to post as he dictates? For all his talk of the lack of civility being the death of the forum, right now what's keeping me off is Wonky. Conversations are conversations...let them twist and turn the way they go.
(09-21-2017, 05:07 PM)Jeep Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 05:00 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
Fucking senile windbag.

I agree.  

Combat Action Ribbon

Type
Eligibility
Awarded for
Status
Current issue
Statistics
Established
First awarded
Precedence
Next (higher)
Equivalent
Related

Paper cuts?
I think that means administrative cut backs.
I still don't understand your point. I know guys who went full in paratrooper shit and came back fine others who were draftees and died, older brothers of friends, and a few women who served too. I still fail to see why you relish being a dick. Maybe it's what keeps you alive.
I think that's supposed to be Wonky 2.0 and a 1/2.

or something..
(09-21-2017, 05:41 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, seems like things are the same as usual.  Wonky doesn't give a fuck  and is being a hall monitor?  Don't you know you need to post as he dictates?  For all his talk of the lack of civility being the death of the forum, right now what's keeping  me off is Wonky.  Conversations are conversations...let them twist and turn the way they go.

Here we fucking go again, wonky takes a lot of shit, some deserved, some not, but on this thread, you are reaching, far. Clearly showing up to the party with your usual wonky chip on the shoulder.  Id love the example from this topic where he dictated shit? He is doing exactly what you said, reacting to the twists and turns of the conversation. Far more annoying than "hall monitoring" is your constant passive aggressive nagging of him.
(09-21-2017, 06:13 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 05:41 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, seems like things are the same as usual.  Wonky doesn't give a fuck  and is being a hall monitor?  Don't you know you need to post as he dictates?  For all his talk of the lack of civility being the death of the forum, right now what's keeping  me off is Wonky.  Conversations are conversations...let them twist and turn the way they go.

Here we fucking go again, wonky takes a lot of shit, some deserved, some not, but on this thread, you are reaching, far. Clearly showing up to the party with your usual wonky chip on the shoulder.  Id love the example from this topic where he dictated shit? He is doing exactly what you said, reacting to the twists and turns of the conversation. Far more annoying than "hall monitoring" is your constant passive aggressive nagging of him.

I know. I love him.
(09-21-2017, 05:59 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I think that's supposed to be Wonky 2.0 and a 1/2.

or something..

Well, don't let the facts get in your way. 
(TV thinks VP Nixon.... Razz)
And Cuzz, this is Wonky full bore. Deal with it. 

Hey Barbie: Do some online searching. Maybe there is at least one more program you can qualify for. And your comment, "I still don't understand your point. I know guys who went full in paratrooper shit and came back fine others who were draftees and died, older brothers of friends, and a few women who served too. I still fail to see why you relish being a dick. Maybe it's what keeps you alive" makes about as much sense as your wasted life. 

Juniper: Monitor this. Aggressive enough of do need a little passive?  Surprised

God knows this place needs SOME KIND of monitoring. is ANYONE watching PBS's Vietnam? (Conflicts with Duck Dynasty?)  

Or is everyone 100 pages into a good book.  Razz
(09-21-2017, 06:26 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 05:59 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I think that's supposed to be Wonky 2.0 and a 1/2.

or something..

Hey Barbie: Do some online searching. Maybe there is at least one more program you can qualify for. And your comment, "I still don't understand your point. I know guys who went full in paratrooper shit and came back fine others who were draftees and died, older brothers of friends, and a few women who served too. I still fail to see why you relish being a dick. Maybe it's what keeps you alive" makes about as much sense as your wasted life. 

Juniper: Monitor this. Aggressive enough of do need a little passive?  Surprised

God knows this place needs SOME KIND of monitoring. is ANYONE watching PBS's Vietnam? (Conflicts with Duck Dynasty?)  

I am going to watch it. Hope it's still available to watch online..

I've got two books going.

I am NOT being passive aggressive. I'm being aggressive.. OK, well, maybe, yeah, I'm being passive aggressive, but let's face it, I do like going at it with you. Big Grin
I don't. I'm doing everything actual veteran councilor s and Social Security instructed me to do. So again, if I knew how to say it more elegantly I would, but shove it up your incredibly tight ass. I've almost died twice but I didn't, so now I'm glouriously alive and refuse to listen to negative bullshit from a bitter old man. Enjoy your wretched life in East Medford. Asshole.
Is Duck Dynasty even on TV anymore? I never saw any of them. One of those weird things you hear about but never see.
My dad was a Korean war Vet. He was in the Navy. One day, when I was just a kid, he took my brothers and I out on a party boat fishing trip.
About the time that you could barely see the shore, he told us, it was the furthest, he'd ever been out in the ocean.
(09-21-2017, 06:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 06:26 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

or something..

I am going to watch it. Hope it's still available to watch online..

I've got two books going.

I am NOT being passive aggressive. I'm being aggressive.. OK, well, maybe, yeah, I'm being passive aggressive, but let's face it, I do like going at it with you. Big Grin
I also have two books going and still watching the thing. (But, I have a DVR and record it and watch it a my leisure. And I have LOTS of leisure!)
PS: One of the books I'm reading is fiction, "Hotel at the corner of bitter and sweet". Mrs. Wonky liked it. I'm about to give up on it, but while fiction has some kind of interesting stuff about Japanese American's during WW2 so will hang in there with it a bit longer.
The other is "The Unexpected President", Chester Arthur. Just into it but looks like it's going to be a good read. Written for regular folks, not history students. (If you have a spare moment, google Julia Sand...fascinating!)