Mandalay Bay Shooting
(10-07-2017, 03:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 03:06 PM)pid=\396457 Wrote:Wonky....You know what, my man, why don't you pull that thing you call your brain out of your nose again and rub it up. You are a broken record, and YOUR opinion about things is not universal. So, continue with your Fuck You comments, don't worry about keeping some train of thought going because when you want to post something that disrupts the conversation you sure as hell will. 
NOTHING I posted above warrants the last sentence in your post. It's insulting, do you get that?  Ignore it if you like, your are not REQUIRED to respond. There are times when you might want to learn to keep all your negative thoughts to yourself. 
I wonder: Can we start by agreeing to no longer including "fuck you" in our conversations here? It's gotta start SOMEWHERE.

TVguy.....The truth must hurt but I don't see how because you won't believe or accept it. After ALL the shit you have been given over your incessant need to try and control this forum you STILL can't stop.

That is exactly what a broken record means. It plays the SAME thing over and over and over and over......

So, continue with your Fuck You comments

Show me the last time I've said fuck you to anyone or just stop acting like it's common place.

I wonder: Can we start by agreeing to no longer including "fuck you" in our conversations here? It's gotta start SOMEWHERE.

You accuse me of posting something that disrupts the conversation? What did that comment have to do with the conversation?

You take your marbles and go home when you get called out for being a control freak. but you come back and CONTINUE to do the same exact same thing. Rolling Eyes  as you like to say It's tiring but at this point it's maddening and more like some obsessive compulsive disorder.

You actually said TVguy blast away I can handle it and then you prove you can't  and get personal about my watching reality TV.
And all I said was you were a stuck record LOL , Who was it who said YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH? Laughing Laughing
Whatever. Cuzz said his comment got lost in the fog. 
It did.
And I commented about the "flow" here.
Yeah, you have posted "Fuck you" to me a couple of times. (No, I'm not gonna look 'em up) 
And we had an ongoing conversation about "these killings", and wondered what could change things. 
You posted comments about our social ills. 
So, I thought it followed that maybe a bit of better social interaction here might be a start.
So, if you see me making "suggestions" you feel are trying to suggest changes, just shut the hell up and deal with. 
Argument seems to be your favorite (only?) sport.
You're not all that good at it. 
Having said all that, I'm going to try and adjust my tone again and try to be civil. 
Not all the easy.
Wonky "So, I thought it followed that maybe a bit of better social interaction here might be a start."

unbefuckingbelievable Laughing Laughing Laughing   Some people on a forum who are supposed to be anonymous say things they would not say other wise.
That's the way it always has been. That's the way it always be regardless of whether YOU think it is appropriate.
As a matter of fact that is actually what made these kind of forums so popular.

YOU will NEVER change WHAT people say. WHEN they say it or HOW they say it.

Connecting our conduct here to to why there are mass shootings is frigging loopy as hell.

What's the definition of insanity??  Does this sound familiar?

[Image: 2d1wh7b.jpg]
(10-07-2017, 06:57 PM)tvguy Wrote: Wonky "So, I thought it followed that maybe a bit of better social interaction here might be a start."

unbefuckingbelievable Laughing Laughing Laughing   Some people on a forum who are supposed to be anonymous say things they would not say other wise.
That's the way it always has been. That's the way it always be regardless of whether YOU think it is appropriate.
As a matter of fact that is actually what made these kind of forums so popular.

YOU will NEVER change WHAT people say. WHEN they say it or HOW they say it.

Connecting our conduct here to to why there are mass shootings is frigging loopy as hell.

What's the definition of insanity??  Does this sound familiar?

[Image: 2d1wh7b.jpg]

You can't even IMAGINE how little I care.
And that's a damn shame.
You are active here and I want to continue to interact with you. 
But, I'm not going to do that if you continue to hassle me about something that only costs you a minute to read it. 
I'm not posting "fake news", vicious attacks, news about Roswell flying saucers, nude photos, poor spelling of CL members, or any offensive stuff. 
So just pass on by, or read it and accept it for what it is, think about it and wonder about your attitude, or find a hobby. 
And by the way, that definition of insanity is from the "scientific method", and while it's a fact it is not really applicable to social exchanges. That YOU feel my attitude is insane does not make it so. 
Putting a tray of water in the freezer and observing that it will freeze one thousand times in one thousand tries is proof. Putting that tray in an oven and expecting it to freeze and doing that over and over would be insane. 
Definitions matter.
Here is a fun fact: We could list each and all of the reasons that society has changed, as Wonky has requested. But why bother? He will reject them anyway.
(10-07-2017, 10:18 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: At some point our society went "Haywire" and we lost sight of the standards of conduct and how we relate to those around us. Can we return (someday) to that more responsible America or are we just waiting for the "collapse", as in the Roman Empire and so many like it that neglected to pay attention to civil society? 

I wonder: Can we start by agreeing to no longer including "fuck you" in our conversations here? It's gotta start SOMEWHERE.  Wink

Short answer:  No.
(10-08-2017, 01:34 PM)Hugo Wrote: Here is a fun fact:  We could list each and all of the reasons that society has changed, as Wonky has requested. But why bother?  He will reject them anyway.

Hey!  Razz.
In post #90 (I think) TVguy posted:

"Kids raised by one parent. alcoholism. drug addiction. Violence in TV movies and video games have desensitized people.

Make up ANY acronym and someone has a drug to cure it. The population increase. gate key kids.
Choose D all of the above and I bet you get it right."

...and I agree with ALL of that: And more. I'm not sure to what extent violent TV, movies, and video games have desensitized people but to SOME extent for sure. (I think some simply find it as entertainment and are not sucked in too deep). 
I'd include in that stuff a lot of "liberal" attitudes and practices that allow damaging permissive attitudes (mainly toward children), the crap left over from the 60's of "do your own thing (without suffering the consequence), the degrading of our social language that allows vulgar and offensive comments in places not appropriate (around kids for instance) the "hooking up" sexual practices of so many of our young people who don't even pretend to build an emotional connection, and the inability of "progressives" to entertain ANY thoughts or values they don't hold dear (Like ALL guns should be destroyed). 

But I do admire lots of liberal (or progressive if you like) attitudes and programs. I really do believe that our citizens should be provided with SOME kind of medical insurance that protects them from ruin in case of long term serious illness. I would like to see people who are willing to work have a chance at SOME kind of employment that provides a reasonable income for a family that is prudent and responsible. What people do in their bedrooms should not be the business of government. I'm against abortion. But I'm for it in SOME situations (I don't favor it as a means of birth control). I'm against capital punishment, but firmly believe some people are so evil they must be forever kept away from the rest of us and if that means killing them I can deal with it. As a liberal, I believe in a strong national defense but believe it must have good government oversight to prevent fraud and spending that is unnecessary. 
And so on.

This stuff is not easy. It's not simple. Serous problems need serious people. 

But yeah, I DO believe that our society can be turned around. I'm don't know how, or who will lead it, but the "pendulum swings as the pendulum do" and societies are capable of shifts necessary to correct problems that plague them. 

And I'll forever believe that even this forum can be a "kinder more gentle" place to exchange ideas and simple chat with one another. When (if) it happens, my guess is we will attract more members who enjoy a civil environment in which to visit.
(10-08-2017, 02:16 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-08-2017, 01:34 PM)Hugo Wrote: Here is a fun fact:  We could list each and all of the reasons that society has changed, as Wonky has requested. But why bother?  He will reject them anyway.

Hey!  Razz.

"Kids raised by one parent. alcoholism. drug addiction. Violence in TV movies and video games have desensitized people.

Make up ANY acronym and someone has a drug to cure it. The population increase. gate key kids.

...and I agree with ALL of that: And more. I'm not sure to what extent violent TV, movies, and video games have desensitized people but to SOME extent for sure. (I think some simply find it as entertainment and are not sucked in too deep). 
I'd include in that stuff a lot of "liberal" attitudes and practices that allow damaging permissive attitudes (mainly toward children), the crap left over from the 60's of "do your own thing (without suffering the consequence), the degrading of our social language that allows vulgar and offensive comments in places not appropriate (around kids for instance) the "hooking up" sexual practices of so many of our young people who don't even pretend to build an emotional connection, and the inability of "progressives" to entertain ANY thoughts or values they don't hold dear (Like ALL guns should be destroyed). 

But I do admire lots of liberal (or progressive if you like) attitudes and programs. I really do believe that our citizens should be provided with SOME kind of medical insurance that protects them from ruin in case of long term serious illness. I would like to see people who are willing to work have a chance at SOME kind of employment that provides a reasonable income for a family that is prudent and responsible. What people do in their bedrooms should not be the business of government. I'm against abortion. But I'm for it in SOME situations (I don't favor it as a means of birth control). I'm against capital punishment, but firmly believe some people are so evil they must be forever kept away from the rest of us and if that means killing them I can deal with it. As a liberal, I believe in a strong national defense but believe it must have good government oversight to prevent fraud and spending that is unnecessary. 
And so on.

But yeah, I DO believe that our society can be turned around. I'm don't know how, or who will lead it, but the "pendulum swings as the pendulum do" and societies are capable of shifts necessary to correct problems that plague them. 

And I'll forever believe that even this forum can be a "kinder more gentle" place to exchange ideas and simple chat with one another. When (if) it happens, my guess is we will attract more members who enjoy a civil environment in which to visit.

[Image: laughing-man-mixed-race-male-hysterically-32711748.jpg]

[Image: tenor.gif]
(10-08-2017, 03:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-08-2017, 02:16 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Hey!  Razz.

And so on.

[Image: laughing-man-mixed-race-male-hysterically-32711748.jpg]

[Image: tenor.gif]

But he who laughs last, laughs best. This ain't over yet.
(10-07-2017, 10:33 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 08:57 AM)SFLiberal Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 02:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: FFS. I guess it's true. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Like those stupid enough to claim democrats or cities ran by dems are the problem with gun deaths.

What is shows is that strict gun laws don't deter shootings.  You would think Chicago with its gun laws would have very few gun related homicides, when it is just the opposite.  Criminals and gang members don't give a rats ass about the laws or their consequences.  These laws only affect the law abiding citizens.  I obey all the gun laws, but I'm at the point where if new laws are drafted I'm going to ignore them.  All they wil do is make a law abiding citizen a criminal.  Molon Labe,

You make an excellent argument for just getting rid of all the laws, cause some people are just going to ignore them anyway.

My swag is we just haven't found the right combination of gun laws (or maybe more accurately, gun use or shooting laws)  and the right amount of enforcement. I don't know if we ever will but that's what I think is needed. I don't think any problem can be eliminated totally by outlawing something. The goal should be to minimize it to a more acceptably rare occurrence.

Instead of making news laws, enforce the existing laws.  Don't you wonder why federal gun law prosecutions plummeted under Obama?  You would think that it would have been just the opposite.  I suspect they plummeted was because those who were most responsible in breaking these federal gun laws were people of color.

Here's on article about in form 2013
http://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice...un-crimes/

Under Obama, Feds Holster Gun Cases

And another from 2014
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014...-under-ob/

Obama talks tough about gun control, but prosecutions plummet on his watch

And from 2016
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/09/politics/o...index.html

Why even the gun laws that exist don't always get enforced
(10-08-2017, 11:42 PM)SFLiberal Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 02:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: FFS. I guess it's true. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Like those stupid enough to claim democrats or cities ran by dems are the problem with gun deaths.

What is shows is that strict gun laws don't deter shootings.  You would think Chicago with its gun laws would have very few gun related homicides, when it is just the opposite.  Criminals and gang members don't give a rats ass about the laws or their consequences.  These laws only affect the law abiding citizens.  I obey all the gun laws, but I'm at the point where if new laws are drafted I'm going to ignore them.  All they wil do is make a law abiding citizen a criminal.  Molon Labe,

You make an excellent argument for just getting rid of all the laws, cause some people are just going to ignore them anyway.

My swag is we just haven't found the right combination of gun laws (or maybe more accurately, gun use or shooting laws)  and the right amount of enforcement. I don't know if we ever will but that's what I think is needed. I don't think any problem can be eliminated totally by outlawing something. The goal should be to minimize it to a more acceptably rare occurrence.

Instead of making news laws, enforce the existing laws.  Don't you wonder why federal gun law prosecutions plummeted under Obama?  You would think that it would have been just the opposite.  I suspect they plummeted was because those who were most responsible in breaking these federal gun laws were people of color.

And another from 2014

And from 2016

Interesting stuff! I'm don't know about your feeling that "people of color" had much to do with it, but maybe. The thing most interesting is that it's pretty obvious that gun laws not enforced are not worth much. (Kind of true of all laws).
My guess is that it's going to be a long time before the country "gets it right" in settling the issue about private ownership of guns. I wonder: Is there a modern (Western, I guess) country that has worked this out so that the gun laws are not an issue they constantly haggle about? 
Australia? (Don't know all that much about the program there) 
That said, I still feel the issue of "gun control" is really a separate issue from the Mass Killings we have witnessed over the relatively recent years. The guy in Vegas has LOTS of guns in the room and really didn't need that many. Go figure, because I don't think there was a GUN LAW ever written that would have kept this guy from doing what he did. 

Anyway, interesting post and has to make us wonder about the whole issue.  

PS: I want to go back to your "people of color" for a bit. My God, this may sound racist as hell, and if so I will have to do penance. I wondering: So many blacks live in inner city neighborhoods, crammed into small sections of the city and plagued by gangs who often rule the turf. So, I bet the guns they buy are never registered and bought "off the street" so we really don't know much about gun laws in those places. Just a thought, not well reasoned for long.
(10-09-2017, 06:55 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

And another from 2014

And from 2016

Interesting stuff! I'm don't know about your feeling that "people of color" had much to do with it, but maybe. The thing most interesting is that it's pretty obvious that gun laws not enforced are not worth much. (Kind of true of all laws).
My guess is that it's going to be a long time before the country "gets it right" in settling the issue about private ownership of guns. I wonder: Is there a modern (Western, I guess) country that has worked this out so that the gun laws are not an issue they constantly haggle about? 
That said, I still feel the issue of "gun control" is really a separate issue from the Mass Killings we have witnessed over the relatively recent years. The guy in Vegas has LOTS of guns in the room and really didn't need that many. Go figure, because I don't think there was a GUN LAW ever written that would have kept this guy from doing what he did. 

PS: I want to go back to your "people of color" for a bit. My God, this may sound racist as hell, and if so I will have to do penance. I wondering: So many blacks live in inner city neighborhoods, crammed into small sections of the city and plagued by gangs who often rule the turf. So, I bet the guns they buy are never registered and bought "off the street" so we really don't know much about gun laws in those places. Just a thought, not well reasoned for long.

Not racist at all.  Obama made it clear that he felt te justice system was out of wack and prejudiced towards men of color.  1 in 35 black men are serving time, 60% of prison population are black and Latino.  Just look at all those mass pardons he issued at the end of his presidency.  I think that was one of the reasons his DOJ didn't vigorously pursue federal gun violations.

President Obama: "Our Criminal Justice System Isn't as Smart as It Should Be"

The Milwaukee Experiment What can one prosecutor do about the mass incarceration of African-Americans?
(10-09-2017, 08:47 AM)SFLiberal Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 06:55 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 08:57 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: What is shows is that strict gun laws don't deter shootings.  You would think Chicago with its gun laws would have very few gun related homicides, when it is just the opposite.  Criminals and gang members don't give a rats ass about the laws or their consequences.  These laws only affect the law abiding citizens.  I obey all the gun laws, but I'm at the point where if new laws are drafted I'm going to ignore them.  All they wil do is make a law abiding citizen a criminal.  Molon Labe,

And another from 2014

And from 2016

Not racist at all.  Obama made it clear that he felt te justice system was out of wack and prejudiced towards men of color.  1 in 35 black men are serving time, 60% of prison population are black and Latino.  Just look at all those mass pardons he issued at the end of his presidency.  I think that was one of the reasons his DOJ didn't vigorously pursue federal gun violations.

President Obama: "Our Criminal Justice System Isn't as Smart as It Should Be"

The Milwaukee Experiment What can one prosecutor do about the mass incarceration of African-Americans?

TVguy once said here that the reason so many black guys are in prison is that they commit more crimes than others. True. 
Simple as that? 
Any factors that contribute to that?
It's an argument that may never be settled. 
Not my argument.
[Image: Dob4YjCUcAA2CFi.jpg]
(10-01-2018, 10:33 AM)Valuesize Wrote: [Image: Dob4YjCUcAA2CFi.jpg]
And as always no one actually says what "common sense gun regulations" actually means.

I'm beginning to be annoyed by the whateverStrong term. It's been done to death. Time to ignore it.
(10-01-2018, 01:00 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I'm beginning to be annoyed by the whateverStrong term. It's been done to death. Time to ignore it.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels that way.....
You two wouldn't do well on Twitter. #youthvote  Big Grin
(10-01-2018, 03:12 PM)Valuesize Wrote: You two wouldn't do well on Twitter. #youthvote  Big Grin

I have no clue what that means OR what vegasstrong is supposed to mean.
(10-01-2018, 03:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 03:12 PM)Valuesize Wrote: You two wouldn't do well on Twitter. #youthvote  Big Grin

I have no clue what that means OR what vegasstrong is supposed to mean.

I assume he means it is common everyday vernacular with the youth on twitter, for example;

I was up late binge watching netflix, lattestrong
I'm 25 and have plenty of money to do whatever I want, livingathomestrong
I graduated from college with a degree in swahili languages, $50K in debt, now I'm a barista, starbucksstrong