Wild Turkeys In Town
This, a letter to the editor in todays (10/3) Mail Tribune. 
For many of you it's not an issue. For those of us who live in East Medford it really is starting to be a problem. I'm just not sure what the solution is. Maybe in the whole scheme of things it's not very important. God knows that with mass shootings, weather events, missiles flying out of N. Korea, and OJ now running around free, this is of minor importance. 

Still. 

Hey, I like turkeys. Roasted with stuffing is my preference. I’m not so fond of them running amok in my yard tearing up my plants and turf.
Now, I know the city is busy. I hear the county is also. And the state people are impossible to reach. Mr. Trump might help but he is preoccupied with Rocket Man. The U.N. won’t answer the phone.
Oh, well. It’s only my yard. Grass, some plants that flower, ground cover, and a couple of ferns. Maybe I’ll just have it paved and paint it green.
Hey, I like turkeys, I really do. On the slopes of Roxy Ann or roasted with sage stuffing.
(10-03-2017, 08:57 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: This, a letter to the editor in todays (10/3) Mail Tribune. 
For many of you it's not an issue. For those of us who live in East Medford it really is starting to be a problem. I'm just not sure what the solution is. Maybe in the whole scheme of things it's not very important. God knows that with mass shootings, weather events, missiles flying out of N. Korea, and OJ now running around free, this is of minor importance. 

Still. 

Hey, I like turkeys. Roasted with stuffing is my preference. I’m not so fond of them running amok in my yard tearing up my plants and turf.
Now, I know the city is busy. I hear the county is also. And the state people are impossible to reach. Mr. Trump might help but he is preoccupied with Rocket Man. The U.N. won’t answer the phone.
Oh, well. It’s only my yard. Grass, some plants that flower, ground cover, and a couple of ferns. Maybe I’ll just have it paved and paint it green.
Hey, I like turkeys, I really do. On the slopes of Roxy Ann or roasted with sage stuffing.

Smiling  I have seen you write about not understanding how anyone can live in "the country"....  Perhaps little ol' East Medford is still too "country" for you.  Maybe a move is in order?  Portland, Seattle?  San Francisco?
Maybe it's time for a dog that likes chasing turkeys? I know your feelings about another dog at this time in your life, so maybe my favorite deterrent for most unwanted creatures, (including prowlers) a motion sensor sprinkler. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Motion-Activate...sprinklers

Back it up with some hanging bird kites blowing in the breeze maybe?

https://smile.amazon.com/X-Kites-Birds-P...Nylon+Kite

Both were mentioned on this informative site.

http://effectivewildlifesolutions.com/wild-turkeys/
(10-03-2017, 09:21 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 08:57 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: This, a letter to the editor in todays (10/3) Mail Tribune. 

Still. 

Smiling  I have seen you write about not understanding how anyone can live in "the country"....  Perhaps little ol' East Medford is still too "country" for you.  Maybe a move is in order?  Portland, Seattle?  San Francisco?
Too damn old to move. Too old to have a decent BM, good sex, jog, climb on the roof, or enjoy HIP-HOP music. 

Hell, I thought maybe you would bring a 4/10 over-under to town and rid us of some of these birds. 

PS: You see these suckers up close? They have HUGE claws, and they can dig like a backhoe! They can also peck into hard ground deep enough to plant most crops.
(10-03-2017, 09:37 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Still. 

Too damn old to move. Too old to have a decent BM, good sex, jog, climb on the roof, or enjoy HIP-HOP music. 

Hell, I thought maybe you would bring a 4/10 over-under to town and rid us of some of these birds. 

PS: You see these suckers up close? They have HUGE claws, and they can dig like a backhoe! They can also peck into hard ground deep enough to plant most crops.

I have more than enough of them at my place.... yours are not my problem...
Wild Turkeys are not even good eating, To me they are nothing more than a big 2 legged flying rat.
(10-03-2017, 10:48 AM)GPnative Wrote: Wild Turkeys are not even good eating, To me they are nothing more than a big 2 legged flying rat.

Yeah and they stink worse than a rat LOL

Still. 

I don't remember Wonky ever saying he didn't understand how anyone can live in "the country". maybe I just missed it.
For me it's just the opposite. I would hate having a neighbor so damn close.
(10-03-2017, 02:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Still. 

I don't remember Wonky ever saying he didn't understand how anyone can live in "the country". maybe I just missed it.

You must have missed it.  He definitely said it.
(10-03-2017, 03:51 PM)Hugo Wrote:

Still. 

I did. I said I just couldn't stand to live more than 15 minutes away from a freshly made burrito.  Smiling 

Tvguy say's he likes some space. Yeah, he might as well. There is an Oregon State law that says he can't live within a rocks throw of "regular people".  Razz
(10-03-2017, 04:56 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 03:51 PM)Hugo Wrote:

Still. 

I did. I said I just couldn't stand to live more than 15 minutes away from a freshly made burrito.  Smiling 

Tvguy say's he likes some space. Yeah, he might as well. There is an Oregon State law that says he can't live within a rocks throw of "regular people".  Razz
Laughing Laughing Not many know about that law.

Anyway I get the part where it's good to be near a city. I lived out by Wimer for four years on 200 acres. I wouldn't trade that for anything nor would my kids.
But when I had to move closer to town I sure as hell didn't miss all those hours and tires I wore out driving to town.
BTW I am 15 minutes away from just about anything. I want and I still can raise hogs, play loud music tell strangers they got a purty mouth.
I don't know about all that other stuff, but East Medford seems to be infested with Wild Turkeys. They may be in West Medford towards the other side of town, but here in the 'hood they don't seem to have jumped the creek.
(10-03-2017, 06:49 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't know about all that other stuff, but East Medford seems to be infested with Wild Turkeys. They may be in West Medford towards the other side of town, but here in the 'hood they don't seem to have jumped the creek.

Yer neighbors are keeping the population down for ya....  You don't wanna know how....
(10-03-2017, 07:53 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 06:49 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't know about all that other stuff, but East Medford seems to be infested with Wild Turkeys. They may be in West Medford towards the other side of town, but here in the 'hood they don't seem to have jumped the creek.

Yer neighbors are keeping the population down for ya....  You don't wanna know how....

Maybe.  I just don't see them here, and I'm about 2 miles away from Wonky. The freeway and creek divides us.
(10-03-2017, 08:15 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Maybe.  I just don't see them here, and I'm about 2 miles away from Wonky. The freeway and creek divides us.

They (the turkeys) are literally everywhere in this valley.  If you aren't seeing any on your side of the "street", ther are probably logistical reasons for it.
(10-03-2017, 08:40 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 08:15 PM)Juniper Wrote:

They (the turkeys) are literally everywhere in this valley.  If you aren't seeing any on your side of the "street", ther are probably logistical reasons for it.
Maybe. I see lots of possum and racoon and occasionally a fox, though foxes not too close to my house.
Maybe they're afraid of being stabbed. That stabbing last night was 3 doors down.
(10-03-2017, 08:54 PM)Juniper Wrote: Maybe they're afraid of being stabbed. That stabbing last night was 3 doors down.

I don't think the these "wild" Turkeys are afraid of ANYTHING!

I sometimes think about being stabbed. Sounds really ugly. I think I'd rather take a round right between the eyes. And no matter where we live, how "alert" we are, we are all exposed to this kind of stuff. Ugly world. But the only one we've got.
(10-04-2017, 09:28 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 08:54 PM)Juniper Wrote: Maybe they're afraid of being stabbed. That stabbing last night was 3 doors down.

I don't think the these "wild" Turkeys are afraid of ANYTHING!

I sometimes think about being stabbed. Sounds really ugly. I think I'd rather take a round right between the eyes. And no matter where we live, how "alert" we are, we are all exposed to this kind of stuff. Ugly world. But the only one we've got.
Maybe we are ALL we are all exposed to this kind of stuff But Juniper is a hellofa lot more exposed than you or I.

You don't do Facebook but if you did and you joined the West Meford site you would see what I mean.