Attack
This is my friend who was attacked. I think I posted about this before. The trial has not happened yet so I think I should refrain from giving any details. But I am proud to say this POS would have never been caught without my help Big Grin

A Medford man is facing Measure 11 assault charges after police say his DNA was found on the handle of a golf club used to fracture a man’s skull, jaw and orbital bone.

Jesse Ramon Ledbetter, 23, of the 1100 block of Tara Circle in Medford has been charged with first-degree assault, second-degree assault, second-degree burglary and first-degree criminal trespass. He is being held in the Jackson County Jail on $260,000 bail.
Ledbetter entered not guilty pleas to the charges Monday. He has a pre-trial conference scheduled for Oct. 16 in Jackson County Circuit Court, court records show.
According to an affidavit by Medford police, an unknown male assaulted Gerald Richey with a golf club at Richey’s home north of Central Point July 15, 2016. Richey suffered fractures to his skull, jaw and the bone around his eye. He underwent surgery in which a portion of his fractured skull was removed and replaced with metal mesh, the affidavit said.
Richey told police he had never seen the person who assaulted him before, the affidavit said.
The golf club was seized at the scene on the day of the assault and sent to a crime lab, the affidavit said.
Also at the scene, Ledbetter’s fingerprints were allegedly found on an olive jar, the affidavit said.
A search warrant for Ledbetter’s DNA was later obtained and compared against trace DNA found on the golf club handle. On Sept. 5 of this year, a lab report from the Oregon State Police Crime Lab was received. The report showed Ledbetter’s DNA allegedly matched the DNA found on the golf club handle, the affidavit said.
Ledbetter was arrested for the alleged assault Sept. 24, and lodged in jail in relation to that case, the affidavit said.

He was also jailed for allegedly failing to appear in court on past alcohol and drug charges, jail records show.
In 2015, Ledbetter was charged with driving under the influence of intoxicants after a police officer responded to a report of two males passed out in a vehicle on a dead-end street in Medford in the middle of the night.
Ledbetter was asleep in the driver’s seat with the vehicle still running and had to be shaken awake by the officer. He allegedly admitted to drinking earlier in the evening and then pulling over to sleep. Ledbetter allegedly failed field sobriety tests and was taken to jail, the affidavit said.
Court records show he entered a DUII diversion program and attended a victims’ impact panel presentation, but later had his diversion revoked after failing to make court appearances.
In 2016, Ledbetter was charged with heroin possession, methamphetamine possession, criminal driving with a suspended or revoked license and supplying contraband for allegedly having controlled substances in jail. After he was released from jail on his own recognizance in August 2016, he failed to appear in court multiple times, triggering numerous warrants for his arrest, court records show.
Ledbetter has another case from 2016 in which he allegedly drove with a suspended or revoked license, and also failed to appear in court, records show.
He indeed sounds like a POS. I'm glad you were able to help catch the guy.
That's a lot of alleged's. It's kind'a irritating when they say stuff like "he allegedly failed field sobriety test."  Really? he did or didn't, it"s pretty simple.   Dry
(10-03-2017, 05:25 PM)Cuzz Wrote: That's a lot of alleged's. It's kind'a irritating when they say stuff like "he allegedly failed field sobriety test."  Really? he did or didn't, it"s pretty simple.   Dry
I think it's just a way to avoid a lawsuit in case any of the info they were given was wrong.

What I think is amazing is that he plead not guilty even though it's "alleged" that his DNA was on the "alleged" weapon and his fingerprints were "allegedly" on the olive jar that put him at the scene.

If he doesn't go away for 90 months I'm going to be VERY angry.
(10-03-2017, 05:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 05:25 PM)Cuzz Wrote: That's a lot of alleged's. It's kind'a irritating when they say stuff like "he allegedly failed field sobriety test."  Really? he did or didn't, it"s pretty simple.   Dry
I think it's just a way to avoid a lawsuit in case any of the info they were given was wrong.

What I think is amazing is that he plead not guilty even though it's "alleged" that his DNA was on the "alleged" weapon and his fingerprints were "allegedly" on the olive jar that put him at the scene.

Or like murderer Trevor walraven, be found guilty, sentenced, serve half his term and then be freed thanks to a loophole happy jerk off of a judge

You're right of course, still irritating.

Hope you get your wish.
(10-03-2017, 06:16 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

You're right of course, still irritating.

Hope you get your wish.
I think TVguy is being a little harsh. I mean, this guy Ledbetter more than likely had a troubled childhood. Like maybe his parents wouldn't buy him the video game he wanted or Air Jordan basketball shoes. They may even have insisted he stop shoplifting, stealing little kids lunch money, and trying to set fire to the cat.

Some guys are just plain abused and can't be held accountable.  Dry
Th trial is coming up for the guy who attacked my friend. I was just subpoenaed as a witness.

Amazingly the suspect is pleading not guilty.The DA talked to my friend and asked if my friend would be OK with a plea bargain. From a measure 11 crime 1st degree assault to a second degree assault which is still a measure 11 crime.
But comes with I think about 18 month less prison time.
My friend said no and I guess the DA is respecting his wishes because it's going to trial.

IMO the seven or so years this POS will get is not enough. I think for someone to have such disregard for human life. Who attacks an elderly person on his own property.
Twenty years minimum seems about right to me.

As  far as the guy pleading not guilty when there is a ton of evidence? Why wouldn't he? What does he have to lose?
(02-08-2018, 06:23 PM)tvguy Wrote: Th trial is coming up for the guy who attacked my friend. I was just subpoenaed as a witness.

Amazingly the suspect is pleading not guilty.The DA talked to my friend and asked if my friend would be OK with a plea bargain. From a measure 11 crime 1st degree assault to a second degree assault which is still a measure 11 crime.
My friend said no and I guess the DA is respecting his wishes because it's going to trial.

IMO the seven or so years this POS will get is not enough. I think for someone to have such disregard for human life. Who attacks an elderly person on his own property.

As  far as the guy pleading not guilty when there is a ton of evidence? Why wouldn't he? What does he have to lose?

I REALLY don't understand our justice system sometimes. I know if I was beating someone about the head with a golf club I'd be quite aware there would be a good chance the person wouldn't survive. Why is this not attempted murder if it wasn't being done in self defense? 

Anyway, I hope you can help your friend put this guy away for as many years as feasibly possible.
(02-09-2018, 12:04 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 06:23 PM)tvguy Wrote: Th trial is coming up for the guy who attacked my friend. I was just subpoenaed as a witness.

I REALLY don't understand our justice system sometimes. I know if I was beating someone about the head with a golf club I'd be quite aware there would be a good chance the person wouldn't survive. Why is this not attempted murder if it wasn't being done in self defense? 

Anyway, I hope you can help your friend put this guy away for as many years as feasibly possible.

Why is this not attempted murder if it wasn't being done in self defense?

I think the answer is because there's no way to prove his intent was to kill and not to just incapacitate.

But I'm with you. It was reckless disregard for human life. It was a home invasion as far as the way I see it.
I think prosecutors have to be very careful when charging someone. And try and press charges they know will stick.

I watch a lot of TV about crime and I have seen jurors let people go free because basically the jurors or some of then simply don't have the capacity to intelligently weigh the evidence.
And I see the opposite when jurors convict people with very little evidence.

Anyway, I hope you can help your friend put this guy away for as many years as feasibly possible

Thanks I think he will get the mandatory 90 months.