Does a pet understand "Sorry"?
I accidentally popped my wife's cat in the kisser. (I SWEAR it was an accident)

Then I felt really lousy. Tried to tell the cat I was sorry. She just stared at me in confusion as if to say, "what the hell did I do"? 

I gave her some treats. We are okay now. 

Still...someone needs to create an APP to make pets understand what sorry means. 

I mean, we put a man on the moon, right?
I tell my cat sorry when I do something like that. He just glares and stomps off in dignified huff.
(10-06-2017, 09:10 AM)Juniper Wrote: I tell my cat sorry when I do something like that. He just glares and stomps off in dignified huff.

Laughing Yup. That's what cats do. I don't understand them. But as long as Mrs Wonky will put up with me, I will have to put up with at least one cat. (Truth is, I'm kinda used to the thing now and would miss it if it took off)
I just got my cat a month ago. Actually, I got two. Pound rescues. They are adults. But one is a gangster cat and all he lacks is tattoos and gold teeth. He doesn't deign to live inside with us, except occasionally he comes by and says "Hey." He tricked us into adopting him. Little stinker. The other is a giant ginger who loves to eat and be petted and attacks my hand and when he's too filled with amor will grab at my head or face. He's a little fierce, but fun.
(10-06-2017, 12:40 PM)Juniper Wrote: I just got my cat a month ago. Actually, I got two. Pound rescues. They are adults.  But one is a gangster cat and all he lacks is tattoos and gold teeth. He doesn't deign to live inside with us, except occasionally he comes by and says "Hey."  He tricked us into adopting him. Little stinker. The other is a giant ginger who loves to eat and be petted and attacks my hand and when he's too filled with amor will grab at my head or face. He's a little fierce, but fun.
Laughing Ever considered writing a column for the paper? Great visuals! While I don't think of myself as a "cat guy", I gotta admit they are fun to watch. Your "gangster" cat sounds like a piece of work!. 
PS: And bless you for getting "pound cats"!
(10-06-2017, 09:13 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 09:10 AM)Juniper Wrote: I tell my cat sorry when I do something like that. He just glares and stomps off in dignified huff.

Laughing Yup. That's what cats do. I don't understand them. But as long as Mrs Wonky will put up with me, I will have to put up with at least one cat. (Truth is, I'm kinda used to the thing now and would miss it if it took off)

Don't leave your shoes where the cat can get to them. They have a strange sense of revenge.
(10-06-2017, 12:40 PM)Juniper Wrote: I just got my cat a month ago. Actually, I got two. Pound rescues. They are adults.  But one is a gangster cat and all he lacks is tattoos and gold teeth. He doesn't deign to live inside with us, except occasionally he comes by and says "Hey."  He tricked us into adopting him. Little stinker. The other is a giant ginger who loves to eat and be petted and attacks my hand and when he's too filled with amor will grab at my head or face. He's a little fierce, but fun.

Years ago my wife and I were cat owners. WE always had two. Like Wonky said. "fun to watch" Boy howdy.
If they are raised together the play fighting and gymnastics are amazing.
We once had two Manx cats (bob tails). Mom was a calico and her son was all orange and much bigger. We called him Lion.
We lived next to a woodland and mom was a great hunter. Lion was trying to be.

One morning while I was warming up my car I saw Lion stalking a cottontail rabbit. I watched in amazement as he got closer and closer. And then he pounced and what ensued was like a a Tasmanian devil cartoon.
It looked like a ball of fur spinning randomly but as I watched it became obvious. That rabbit was literally kicking the crap out of that poor cat.
I chuckled all the way to work with a picture in my mind of the rabbit running away. And Lion sitting there, ears flattened wondering what in the hell just happened.

We had a gangster cat when I was a kid. A tiger cat found in an alley that grew to be very large 12 pounds.
He was a Tom and he was a fighter. He would sit on a fence post and jump on the back of our dog when it went by.

When I lived in the Forrest in here in Oregon one day I was petting our 170 pound dog. he winced in pain? After looking close I saw he had deep long vertical cuts under his fur on both sides of his back right behind his head.
That dog ran loose and far and I've always figured he was attacked from above by a cougar or a bobcat.
The Gangster cat snookered us completely. It was warm and cuddly and sweet to us. Now look at where our efforts have gotten us. He was just waiting for two gullible women to spring him and that was the end of that.
(10-06-2017, 06:33 PM)Juniper Wrote: The Gangster cat snookered us completely. It was warm and cuddly and sweet to us.  Now look at where our efforts have gotten us. He was just waiting for two gullible women to spring him and that was the end of that.

[Image: gangsta-cat_o_2181755.jpg]
My opinion. It depends on the pet. In short: Cats don't understand or care. Dogs do.
(10-06-2017, 11:11 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 06:33 PM)Juniper Wrote: The Gangster cat snookered us completely. It was warm and cuddly and sweet to us.  Now look at where our efforts have gotten us. He was just waiting for two gullible women to spring him and that was the end of that.

[Image: gangsta-cat_o_2181755.jpg]

Pretty much.
(10-07-2017, 07:20 AM)GCG Wrote: My opinion. It depends on the pet. In short: Cats don't understand or care. Dogs do.

You are right. Cats are cats.  Sometimes you can get a really cool one, but at the end of the day it's still a cat.   It will never love you with the undying adoration and loyalty of a dog.
(10-07-2017, 09:11 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 07:20 AM)GCG Wrote: My opinion. It depends on the pet. In short: Cats don't understand or care. Dogs do.

You are right. Cats are cats.  Sometimes you can get a really cool one, but at the end of the day it's still a cat.   It will never love you with the undying adoration and loyalty of a dog.
Yeah, and I'll NEVER understand it. Mrs. Wonky REALLY likes cats. Has since she was a child (I'm told). She also likes dogs (some) but we will ALWAYS have a cat in the house. At least one. So far I've been able to restrict the number to one, but I think I'm about to lose the battle.  Sad
Could be worse.  Big Grin

Yes pretty much what I was thinking. But car people will tell , cats just don't "show it".

But the truth is dog people VERY often think their dogs do  things and understand things they actually do not.
My wife does that a lot LOL.
(10-07-2017, 01:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yes pretty much what I was thinking. But car people will tell , cats just don't "show it".

But the truth is dog people VERY often think their dogs do  things and understand things they actually do not.

When my dog digs his leash out of his toy basket and drags it over to me and drops it at my feet, I'm pretty sure about what he is telling me. When I don't give him the desired reaction, he brings me my walking shoes. If anyone ever wants to figure out who I am in real life... look for the guy walking a yellow lab and packing a bag of dog shit.
(10-07-2017, 02:16 PM)GCG Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 01:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:

When my dog digs his leash out of his toy basket and drags it over to me and drops it at my feet, I'm pretty sure about what he is telling me. When I don't give him the desired reaction, he brings me my walking shoes. If anyone ever wants to figure out who I am in real life... look for the guy walking a yellow lab and packing a bag of dog shit.
LOL  Yeah I get the obvious stuff. My wife will claim our dog is mad or is sad or is pouting over things when I think she is just imagining things. But I have to admit the wife is actually right sometimes.
My old dog is used to getting treats.
This started when we house broke her and gave her a treat for crapping out side. And of course she gets one for bringing in the newspaper. But the new dog took over that chore.
Over the years it morphed in to she gets a treat any time she comes in. NOW she thinks she deserves a treat for eating her food.
NOW she will wake me up in the morning staring at me.. not wanting to go out but just wanting treat. Of course I'm a sucker and she gets these treats.
She's old and funny now.
(10-07-2017, 11:03 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Could be worse.  Big Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
(10-07-2017, 10:59 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 09:11 AM)Juniper Wrote:

Yeah, and I'll NEVER understand it. Mrs. Wonky REALLY likes cats. Has since she was a child (I'm told). She also likes dogs (some) but we will ALWAYS have a cat in the house. At least one. So far I've been able to restrict the number to one, but I think I'm about to lose the battle.  Sad

Well, cats are really cool. If I had to come back in another life it would be as cat.  A pampered cat.  You can see in the dark, climb tall things, have amazing balance and hearing. Land on your feet. Yeah, I'd be a cat.