Can't get there from here
In today's MT there is an article about the new Costco, (on Table Rock), opening in November yet the road improvements needed to accomodate the additional traffic are delayed.

Let's start with the obvious. Because our airport is located right smack in the center of town, we are restricted on ways to get from east to west. That means that the traffic on the few north/south routes is often heavy. So now, as we all know, the bypass that is being built along hwy 62 is creating it's own set of troubles. That pushes more people over to Table Rock as an alternative. But this Costco business has Table Rock backed up all day long between Biddle and Merriman. 

I can't get home from work unless I drive all the way into Central Point, (rather than use Table Rock), but now Pine Street is necked down to 1 lane for some reason or other. 

None of this would be of any consequence if the airport had been contructed on the outskirts of town... as is more typical.

Speaking of airports... another article in today's MT is talking about Horizon Air and it's sporadic service to LAX. Enter American Eagle. I flew AE down last month and I will never make that mistake again. Allegiant is so unreliable that I won't fly them even if they offer me free service. Alaska/Horizon was always solid but I guess those days over over as well.

So let me make this simple. I will make an announcement here on the RVF of my travel plans and times to and from work etc... All that the rest of you have to do is stay home during those times. Thanks.
Interesting. I never thought of the Airport as being part of the issue. But then on the other hand, it kind of did used to be on the outskirts to a degree. The land surrounding the airport was mostly agricultural from the north and west and east on the other side Crater Lake Hwy was orchards forever. The land north of Table Rock and Merriman was orchards and agrarian land for years also . So NOW the airport is centrally located, but I don't think always was, because most of the land was undeveloped. Nowadays at 5.00 pm there are regular back ups on the freeway and Crater Lake Hwy. My daughter works at one of those new restaurants and working the evening shift, it's really bad. Is Costco really reopening there in November??
Why I stay in Ashland/Talent.
(10-07-2017, 07:55 AM)GCG Wrote: So let me make this simple. I will make an announcement here on the RVF of my travel plans and times to and from work etc... All that the rest of you have to do is stay home during those times. Thanks.

I can do that....
(10-07-2017, 09:20 AM)Juniper Wrote: Interesting. I never thought of the Airport as being part of the issue.  But then on the other hand, it kind of did used to be on the outskirts to a degree. The land surrounding the airport was mostly agricultural from the north  and west and east on the other side Crater Lake Hwy was orchards forever.   The land  north of Table Rock and Merriman was orchards and agrarian land for years also . So NOW the airport is centrally located, but I don't think always was, because most of the land was undeveloped.  Nowadays at 5.00 pm there are regular back ups on the freeway and Crater Lake Hwy.  My daughter works at one of those new restaurants and working the evening shift, it's really bad. Is Costco really reopening there in November??

I wasn't in Medford back then but I sort of suspected that the airport was not always centrally located. Other towns of similar size, (Redding and Eugene come to mind), built their airports far enough out to consider growth. 

And yes, the plans are for the new Costco to open in November. It is going up unbelievably fast. I couldn't understand why they wanted or needed a new location... but someone recently told me that WalMart owns the old Costco  property and that they are going to open a Sam's Club there.
(10-07-2017, 10:15 AM)GCG Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 09:20 AM)Juniper Wrote: Interesting. I never thought of the Airport as being part of the issue.  But then on the other hand, it kind of did used to be on the outskirts to a degree. The land surrounding the airport was mostly agricultural from the north  and west and east on the other side Crater Lake Hwy was orchards forever.   The land  north of Table Rock and Merriman was orchards and agrarian land for years also . So NOW the airport is centrally located, but I don't think always was, because most of the land was undeveloped.  Nowadays at 5.00 pm there are regular back ups on the freeway and Crater Lake Hwy.  My daughter works at one of those new restaurants and working the evening shift, it's really bad. Is Costco really reopening there in November??

I wasn't in Medford back then but I sort of suspected that the airport was not always centrally located. Other towns of similar size, (Redding and Eugene come to mind), built their airports far enough out to consider growth. 

And yes, the plans are for the new Costco to open in November. It is going up unbelievably fast. I couldn't understand why they wanted or needed a new location... but someone recently told me that WalMart owns the old Costco  property and that they are going to open a Sam's Club there.
I heard the same thing about Walmart owning the property and Sam's club wanting the spot. (But I also heard that Interstate 5 was going to be rerouted 30 miles from Medford  Wink . ) 

Sure GCG, just let me know when you are going to COSTCO and I'll stay home. I go there about three times a year so should not be a problem. 

On thing for sure: The airport is NOT going to be rerouted...anytime soon.
(10-07-2017, 07:55 AM)GCG Wrote: In today's MT there is an article about the new Costco, (on Table Rock), opening in November yet the road improvements needed to accomodate the additional traffic are delayed.

Let's start with the obvious. Because our airport is located right smack in the center of town, we are restricted on ways to get from east to west. That means that the traffic on the few north/south routes is often heavy. So now, as we all know, the bypass that is being built along hwy 62 is creating it's own set of troubles. That pushes more people over to Table Rock as an alternative. But this Costco business has Table Rock backed up all day long between Biddle and Merriman. 

I can't get home from work unless I drive all the way into Central Point, (rather than use Table Rock), but now Pine Street is necked down to 1 lane for some reason or other. 

None of this would be of any consequence if the airport had been contructed on the outskirts of town... as is more typical.

Speaking of airports... another article in today's MT is talking about Horizon Air and it's sporadic service to LAX. Enter American Eagle. I flew AE down last month and I will never make that mistake again. Allegiant is so unreliable that I won't fly them even if they offer me free service. Alaska/Horizon was always solid but I guess those days over over as well.

So let me make this simple. I will make an announcement here on the RVF of my travel plans and times to and from work etc... All that the rest of you have to do is stay home during those times. Thanks.

Is there some study  that shows the airport is such a restriction? We have 62 and table rock that goes north and south and they are only about 1 1/2 miles apart. And soon the new by pass is finished another north and south route will be right between. 
As far as east to west there is Vilas and Biddle is kind of west to south ( I think LOL) But your issue is the north to south routes from your work to your home right?

Because our airport is located right smack in the center of town

But it's not. It's definitely on the north end of town.There still isn't much "city" at all north of the airport.

I can see that where you work and live right now is a big problem but once all the construction is done you should be fine. I hopeSmiling

Also Costco will now be pretty much next to the freeway so that should reduce traffic on 62.
I remember there used to be the mill road that ran alongside Crater Lake Hwy and take you all the way to Biddle if you were riding a bicycle. But it's gone. Old Crater Lake Highway was more of a throughway too. All that Coker Butte Road area was fields and Orchards. I think Costco and Walmart were about all that was on the highway there. Olive Garden sprung up, but it was a TexMex Franchise back then. But North/South routes through town do seem taxed. And really, East /West has even less. The Valley is a LOT more crowded nowadays. Sometimes I wonder where all the traffic and people are coming from, but then Eagle Point has boomed, Central Point also....it's not as rural as an area as it was when I moved here.
(10-07-2017, 03:20 PM)Juniper Wrote: I remember there used to be the mill road that ran alongside Crater Lake Hwy and take you all the way to Biddle if you were riding a bicycle.  But it's gone.  Old Crater Lake Highway was more of a throughway too.  All that Coker Butte Road area was fields and Orchards.  I think Costco and Walmart were about all that was on the highway there.  Olive Garden sprung up, but it was a TexMex Franchise back then. But North/South routes through town do seem taxed.  And really, East /West has even less. The Valley is a LOT more crowded nowadays.  Sometimes I wonder where all the traffic and people are coming from, but then Eagle Point has boomed, Central Point also....it's not as rural as an area as it was when I moved here.

I remember there used to be the mill road that ran alongside Crater Lake Hwy and take you all the way to Biddle if you were riding a bicycle

When was that? Are you sure you are not talking about the old mill road called the "haul" rd that is now the same route as the new bypass?
(10-07-2017, 02:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 07:55 AM)GCG Wrote: In today's MT there is an article about the new Costco, (on Table Rock), opening in November yet the road improvements needed to accomodate the additional traffic are delayed.

Is there some study  that shows the airport is such a restriction? We have 62 and table rock that goes north and south and they are only about 1 1/2 miles apart. And soon the new by pass is finished another north and south route will be right between. 
As far as east to west there is Vilas and Biddle is kind of west to south ( I think LOL) But your issue is the north to south routes from your work to your home right?

But it's not. It's definitely on the north end of town.There still isn't much "city" at all north of the airport.

I can see that where you work and live right now is a big problem but once all the construction is done you should be fine. I hopeSmiling

Also Costco will now be pretty much next to the freeway so that should reduce traffic on 62. 
No... my issue is that you can't get east/west without travelling the entire length of the airport north and south. And that Table Rock and 62 are both under heavy construction. 

It's all about perspective. The airport is a huge barricade for me. But it's probably an afterthought to those that live to the south.
(10-07-2017, 04:08 PM)GCG Wrote:

No... my issue is that you can't get east/west without travelling the entire length of the airport north and south. And that Table Rock and 62 are both under heavy construction. 

It's all about perspective. The airport is a huge barricade for me. But it's probably an afterthought to those that live to the south.

I see exactly what you mean. You are screwed no matter which way you try to go .
(10-07-2017, 04:08 PM)GCG Wrote:

It can be a problem if you are at Biddle around Airport Chevy (or there-about's) and want to go to COSTCO. 
But..
As the town (city?) grows they may move it to Klamath Falls and bus us to the planes. Now THAT would be hassle.  Smiling
(10-07-2017, 03:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 03:20 PM)Juniper Wrote: I remember there used to be the mill road that ran alongside Crater Lake Hwy and take you all the way to Biddle if you were riding a bicycle.  But it's gone.  Old Crater Lake Highway was more of a throughway too.  All that Coker Butte Road area was fields and Orchards.  I think Costco and Walmart were about all that was on the highway there.  Olive Garden sprung up, but it was a TexMex Franchise back then. But North/South routes through town do seem taxed.  And really, East /West has even less. The Valley is a LOT more crowded nowadays.  Sometimes I wonder where all the traffic and people are coming from, but then Eagle Point has boomed, Central Point also....it's not as rural as an area as it was when I moved here.

I remember there used to be the mill road that ran alongside Crater Lake Hwy and take you all the way to Biddle if you were riding a bicycle

When was that? Are you sure you are not talking about the old mill road called the "haul" rd that is now the same route as the new bypass?
Yep, that's the one...couldn't remember what it was called.
(10-07-2017, 07:17 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Did you know it was the same route as the new bypass? You said "but it's gone" Not really. it was still there. I used to drive down the old haul rd from Vilas rd right beside Vilas auto wrecking all the way down to a point behind Costco. And then there was a fence/gate.
Passed the gate the road continued all the was to Bullock rd. You could see the haul rd across from guitar center. Smiling
(10-08-2017, 04:27 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Did you know it was the same route as the new bypass? You said "but it's gone" Not really. it was still there. I used to drive down the old haul rd from Vilas rd right beside Vilas auto wrecking all the way down to a point behind Costco. And then there was a fence/gate.
Passed the gate the road continued all the was to Bullock rd. You could see the haul rd across from guitar center. Smiling

It's sort of still there. Sections of it are gone now. Medco road. That's what it was called.
(10-08-2017, 07:26 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-08-2017, 04:27 PM)tvguy Wrote:

It's sort of still there. Sections of it are gone now. Medco road. That's what it was called.

So much fun to follow along as you "Old Timers" reminisce.  Laughing