Santa Rosa Fires
This is really a shocker to me.
[Image: coffey-park-before.jpg]
 [Image: coffey-park-after.jpg]

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017...hotos.html
Heartbreaking.  Crying
It appears that most of the fires (they all grew together) were started by high winds knocking down power lines. I wonder if PG&E has any culpability?

Very sad time for all involved. The loss of life and the people missing make our fires up here (wilderness areas and such) seem less important.
(10-11-2017, 01:26 PM)Hugo Wrote: It appears that most of the fires (they all grew together) were started by high winds knocking down power lines.  I wonder if PG&E has any culpability?

Very sad time for all involved.  The loss of life and the people missing make our fires up here (wilderness areas and such) seem less important.

I wonder if PG&E has any culpability?

I doubt it. Unless there is proof they were negligent in trimming trees
What I saw in TV pissed me off. It was an advertisement for the news. It spoke of the famous winery that burned down.. details at 11 and all that crap.

One thousand people lost their homes, 10 people died and the news leads with a story about a F***ing winery?
(10-11-2017, 02:13 PM)tvguy Wrote: What I saw in TV pissed me off. It was an advertisement for the news. It spoke of the famous winery that burned down.. details at 11 and all that crap.

One thousand people lost their homes, 10 people died and the news leads with a story about a F***ing winery?

I'm actually annoyed by the vast media coverage (national/local) referring to it almost exclusively as "wine country" and every report in some capacity stating wine country is going up in flames, etc. like that's all they have going on there and that's the only immediate impact.
I think it would drive home just how serious and dire the situation is if they would report/headline the truth, as in what sounds more dire "an entire residential neighborhood in Santa Rosa burned to the ground, news at 11" or saying "wild fires continue to sweep through wine country, news at 11."

I dunno...it just bugs me.
(10-11-2017, 02:31 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 02:13 PM)tvguy Wrote: What I saw in TV pissed me off. It was an advertisement for the news. It spoke of the famous winery that burned down.. details at 11 and all that crap.

I'm actually annoyed by the vast media coverage (national/local) referring to it almost exclusively as "wine country" and every report in some capacity stating wine country is going up in flames, etc. like that's all they have going on there and that's the only immediate impact.
I think it would drive home just how serious and dire the situation is if they would report/headline the truth, as in what sounds more dire "an entire residential neighborhood in Santa Rosa burned to the ground, news at 11" or saying "wild fires continue to sweep through wine country, news at 11."

I dunno...it just bugs me.
Exactly.
Taupe Hat had to flee those fires. He was in the path and they had to go to an evacuation center. He didn't lose the house though.
(10-11-2017, 05:43 PM)Juniper Wrote: Taupe Hat had to flee those fires. He was in the path and they had to go to an evacuation center. He didn't lose the house though.

Wishing him the very best. Tragic.  Sad
(10-11-2017, 02:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 01:26 PM)Hugo Wrote: It appears that most of the fires (they all grew together) were started by high winds knocking down power lines.  I wonder if PG&E has any culpability?

Very sad time for all involved.  The loss of life and the people missing make our fires up here (wilderness areas and such) seem less important.

I bet ISIS will take credit, or it's Gods punishment for something or another.
(10-11-2017, 09:00 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 02:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I bet ISIS will take credit, or it's Gods punishment for something or another.
 Ban trees.

I missed the reports that downed power lines caused this. Makes sense...some strong gusts reported. As far a PG&E's culpability, I'd guess wind would be considered "an act of god?" 

Yes. Sad beyond belief.
(10-11-2017, 09:24 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I missed the reports that downed power lines caused this. Makes sense...some strong gusts reported. As far a PG&E's culpability, I'd guess wind would be considered "an act of god?" 

Yes. Sad beyond belief.

Yes,yes, an act of God.
But, what was he trying to tell us?

Yes. Sad beyond belief.

I'd guess wind would be considered "an act of god?

Yes but not if someone can show the power company was negligent in removing diseased or dead trees.

(10-11-2017, 09:50 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Yes. Sad beyond belief.

Yes,yes, an act of God.
I dunno, Chuck, but if this was intended to be humor I think it missed the mark.
(10-11-2017, 09:55 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Yes. Sad beyond belief.

Yes,yes, an act of God.
I dunno, Chuck, but if this was intended to be humor I think it missed the mark.

Well, I did say '"it's Gods punishment for something or another."

I figure it's only a matter of time, before some preacher dude, tells us what it was for.
(10-11-2017, 10:02 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Yes. Sad beyond belief.

Yes,yes, an act of God.

I figure it's only a matter of time, before some preacher dude, tells us what it was for.

And what? You will believe this "preacher dude"? 
People are suffering from loss of lives and valuable personal things. "Preacher dudes" distract from the harsh reality and cheapen the facts with their nonsense. 
And  an Act of God" is:
Acts of God provisions, also called “Force Majeure” clauses, relate to events outside human control, like flash floods, earthquakes, or other natural disasters. Generally, these provisions eliminate or limit liability for injuries or other losses resulting from such events.
(10-11-2017, 10:37 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 09:24 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I missed the reports that downed power lines caused this. Makes sense...some strong gusts reported. As far a PG&E's culpability, I'd guess wind would be considered "an act of god?" 

Yes. Sad beyond belief.

Yes,yes, an act of God.

People are suffering from loss of lives and valuable personal things. "Preacher dudes" distract from the harsh reality and cheapen the facts with their nonsense. 
And  an Act of God" is:
Acts of God provisions, also called “Force Majeure” clauses, relate to events outside human control, like flash floods, earthquakes, or other natural disasters. Generally, these provisions eliminate or limit liability for injuries or other losses resulting from such events.

Yeah I'm sure Chuck believes the preachers Rolling Eyes

Ya think so Mr. Obvious?

(10-11-2017, 11:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 09:50 PM)chuck white Wrote: Yes,yes, an act of God.

And  an Act of God" is:

Ya think so Mr. Obvious?

I think your favorite sport is jumping on my ass. 
Did I misunderstand Chucks post:

"Yes,yes, an act of God.

But, what was he trying to tell us?"

My impression was he was making light of a situation that is too serious to have fun with. 
Or, maybe I simply don't "get" "what was he trying to tell us". 
Because these jerks who hold a bible in one hand and point to the sky with the other telling us god is punishing us for our sins are not a damn bit funny. And even less funny to those who have lost lives and things they value. 

But Chuck, if misread your post, please accept my apology. Maybe if you have time you could flush that out a little a let us know exactly what you intended to say. 

And TVguy, I'm not so sure you "got the point" either. But, all-knowing as you so often are, I should defer to your interpretation of a post you seemed to understand without question. 
(10-12-2017, 08:06 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 11:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 09:55 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I dunno, Chuck, but if this was intended to be humor I think it missed the mark.

And  an Act of God" is:

Ya think so Mr. Obvious?

I think your favorite sport is jumping on my ass. 
Did I misunderstand Chucks post:

"Yes,yes, an act of God.

But, what was he trying to tell us?"

My impression was he was making light of a situation that is too serious to have fun with. 
Or, maybe I simply don't "get" "what was he trying to tell us". 
Because these jerks who hold a bible in one hand and point to the sky with the other telling us god is punishing us for our sins are not a damn bit funny. And even less funny to those who have lost lives and things they value. 

But Chuck, if misread your post, please accept my apology. Maybe if you have time you could flush that out a little a let us know exactly what you intended to say. 

And TVguy, I'm not so sure you "got the point" either. But, all-knowing as you so often are, I should defer to your interpretation of a post you seemed to understand without question. 

As I re-read the thread, it appears to me Chuck invoked "God" because he was originally responding to TV's response to me on the question of PG&E.  I think Chuck did so because he ASSUMES I am religious or something just because I am a Conservative, and was hoping to tweak me.

BTW, your and TV's constant fucking battles are so tedious, they are probably solely responsible for the demise of this forum.......  Ninja

Laughing Laughing