What's your disaster plan ?
(10-16-2017, 03:29 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 08:20 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 04:27 PM)Cuzz Wrote: My disaster plan? I'm not planning a disaster just now.

Ain't the English language a bitch! So, what is your plan to cope with a disaster? 
One I haven't seen mentioned yet: For those over "a certain age" a bottle of pills or a solution mixed to drink and avoid the aftermath of a disaster that could be intolerable for some. 
Imagine my house is leveled by a huge earthquake and I've purchased a tent for shelter, have some water set aside and some canned food and a bag of rice. Now imagine this happens on a winter day when the night time temps dip to around 12 degrees F. The water is frozen, so I have to find a way to built a fire and thaw it, ....
Well you get the picture. 
At 30 years of age I could cope.
At 80 years, I'm not so sure I want to go through all that. 
Morbid? Maybe. 
Maybe not.

Seriously?  The way I worded the title really matters? The English language is not really a bitch.The fact is we can drop words from sentences that are totally unnecessary. Big Grin

Anyway if you are too old to try and prepare then so be it. But my guess is your wife or neighbor could build a fire. I would assuming I could get to your house.
And it's rarely 12 degrees and if you had a high quality sleeping bag you would not get hypothermia. And what part of having full propane tanks did you miss? Ever heard of Mr. Heater?
Also water stored under ground would not freeze.
I have a PVC pipe outside with nothing but a couple inches of leaves covering it that has never frozen in 20 years or so.

Or phrasing.  I thought I was clear enough with my talk radio post, but no, it wasn't. Semantics man!
(10-16-2017, 08:32 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 04:27 PM)Cuzz Wrote: My disaster plan? I'm not planning a disaster just now.

Ain't the English language a bitch! So, what is your plan to cope with a disaster? 
One I haven't seen mentioned yet: For those over "a certain age" a bottle of pills or a solution mixed to drink and avoid the aftermath of a disaster that could be intolerable for some. 
Imagine my house is leveled by a huge earthquake and I've purchased a tent for shelter, have some water set aside and some canned food and a bag of rice. Now imagine this happens on a winter day when the night time temps dip to around 12 degrees F. The water is frozen, so I have to find a way to built a fire and thaw it, ....
Morbid? Maybe. 
Maybe not.

Seriously?  The way I worded the title really matters? The English language is not really a bitch.The fact is we can drop words from sentences that are totally unnecessary. Big Grin

Anyway if you are too old to try and prepare then so be it. But my guess is your wife or neighbor could build a fire. I would assuming I could get to your house.
And it's rarely 12 degrees and if you had a high quality sleeping bag you would not get hypothermia. And what part of having full propane tanks did you miss? Ever heard of Mr. Heater?
I have a PVC pipe outside with nothing but a couple inches of leaves covering it that has never frozen in 20 years or so.

Or phrasing.  I thought I was clear enough with my talk radio post, but no, it wasn't. Semantics man!

I'm lost. I thought it was Cuzz who did the word play with "disaster". (Clever) 
And I don't even want to GO THERE about the Talk Radio thing, 'cause no, Tia, that was not just semantics. 
Wow. Just wow! It NEVER stops.
(10-16-2017, 08:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Morbid? Maybe. 
Maybe not.

And I don't even want to GO THERE about the Talk Radio thing, 'cause no, Tia, that was not just semantics. 

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  Hey, I didn't even name  you. I was just commenting. Apparently others missed it too.
(10-16-2017, 08:45 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 08:20 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Ain't the English language a bitch! So, what is your plan to cope with a disaster? 
Morbid? Maybe. 
Maybe not.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  Hey, I didn't even name  you. I was just commenting. Apparently others missed it too.

Whatever: Lost in the fog of the past.
(10-16-2017, 08:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 08:45 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-16-2017, 03:29 PM)tvguy Wrote: Seriously?  The way I worded the title really matters? The English language is not really a bitch.The fact is we can drop words from sentences that are totally unnecessary. Big Grin

Whatever: Lost in the fog of the past.

Liar.
Apparently, TV misunderstood my talk radio post also. Which just goes to show me that I could have been more clear in my language.
Obscurity has a place in life. Plain speaking is not always the better path.
(10-17-2017, 04:28 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Obscurity has a place in life. Plain speaking is not always the better path.

What are you a fortune cookie?  Big Grin
(10-17-2017, 04:28 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Obscurity has a place in life. Plain speaking is not always the better path.

I didn't think I was being obscure.  I think what I said was "Talk Radio is a radio format with people, talking over music." or something like that.  Meaning 'instead' of playing music. TV told me my post did not make my meaning clear. I thought it was crystal clear.  I think Chuck got it.  Anyway, it had to be explained to me why my post was unclear. I thought it was perfectly apparent. So much for thinking, right?
See the ball
Be the ball
(10-17-2017, 07:10 AM)Juniper Wrote:

I didn't think I was being obscure.  I think what I said was "Talk Radio is a radio format with people, talking over music." or something like that.  Meaning 'instead' of playing music. TV told me my post did not make my meaning clear. I thought it was crystal clear.  I think Chuck got it.  Anyway, it had to be explained to me why my post was unclear. I thought it was perfectly apparent. So much for thinking, right?

Tia:  "Talk Radio is a radio format with people, talking over music."
Fixed:  "Talk Radio is a radio format with people talking, over music."

I too had to read it twice to get what you meant.  I think where I moved the comma helps a little.
(10-17-2017, 07:49 AM)Hugo Wrote:

I too had to read it twice to get what you meant.  I think where I moved the comma helps a little.

So true (the comma). There have been long papers, maybe books, written about the correct and important use of commas. I struggle with them and don't expect to ever really learn how to use them. 
And example I stole from a web site: 

Rachael Ray finds insperaton in cooking her family and her dog. 

When a couple of commas makes sense of this: Rachael Ray finds insperation in cooking, her family, and her dog.  

So this stuff matters...a little bit at least. I mess up all the time with grammar, punctuation, general meaning, and humor (or lack of). 

But yes Tia, it DID confuse me because "Talk Radio" is a format peculiar compared to other forms. I've listened to a bit of Rush Limbaugh and never heard him play much Grateful Dead, or talk over it. 

And still I'm confused. A few posts up you posted "Liar!"...to me I think. I pondered and can't for the life of me understand that one word simple post. (Maybe needs a comma?  Laughing  ) 

Whatever. The ongoing difficulty of making clear the written word at places like this when we respond more often than not without any attempt to "compose" our posts. 

And now...MORE coffee!

They way she phrased it there were two meanings. A person had to choose which one she meant.
(10-17-2017, 08:40 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

So true (the comma). There have been long papers, maybe books, written about the correct and important use of commas. I struggle with them and don't expect to ever really learn how to use them. 

When a couple of commas makes sense of this: Rachael Ray finds insperation in cooking, her family, and her dog.  

So this stuff matters...a little bit at least. I mess up all the time with grammar, punctuation, general meaning, and humor (or lack of). 

But yes Tia, it DID confuse me because "Talk Radio" is a format peculiar compared to other forms. I've listened to a bit of Rush Limbaugh and never heard him play much Grateful Dead, or talk over it. 

And still I'm confused. A few posts up you posted "Liar!"...to me I think. I pondered and can't for the life of me understand that one word simple post. (Maybe needs a comma?  Laughing  ) 

Whatever. The ongoing difficulty of making clear the written word at places like this when we respond more often than not without any attempt to "compose" our posts. 

And now...MORE coffee!

It wouldn't  matter what I did, or how I wrote or how I phrased  or "composed" it. 

The way I meant, ill composed or not was still correct. Which you  then showed.  Thank you. Wink
(10-17-2017, 05:59 PM)Juniper Wrote:

And now...MORE coffee!

It wouldn't  matter what I did, or how I wrote or how I phrased  or "composed" it. 

The way I meant, ill composed or not was still correct. Which you  then showed.  Thank you. Wink

Let's agree to move on from this.  Smiling
(10-17-2017, 06:58 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 05:59 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 07:10 AM)Juniper Wrote: I didn't think I was being obscure.  I think what I said was "Talk Radio is a radio format with people, talking over music." or something like that.  Meaning 'instead' of playing music. TV told me my post did not make my meaning clear. I thought it was crystal clear.  I think Chuck got it.  Anyway, it had to be explained to me why my post was unclear. I thought it was perfectly apparent. So much for thinking, right?

And now...MORE coffee!

Let's agree to move on from this.  Smiling

Hallelujah
Can we at least spell inspiration correctly before we depart this subject?
(10-17-2017, 07:33 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Can we at least spell inspiration correctly before we depart this subject?
No.  Razz
I wonder what the chances are that I'll be at home when this hypothetical disaster happens? And not at work, god knows where.   Neutral
(10-17-2017, 09:22 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I wonder what the chances are that I'll be at home when this hypothetical disaster happens? And not at work, god knows where.   Neutral

We are all supposed to carry a 150 pound backpack.  Sad