PVC Pipe Question
(10-23-2017, 12:33 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 11:11 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Do you think one of these 62# pier blocks on each leg would work to keep this planted on my patio? Do you have any better ideas? My wife is worried drilling a hole in the PVC to bolt it to the block would weaken the pipe too much. What do you think?

Here is the cost estimate so far. We'll need to add the cost of plants and planters that hide the pier blocks later. 

1 1/2" Poles: $6 X 15= $90. (from Ace)
Fittings: $3 X 9= $27. (online)
Pier Blocks: $9. X 6 = $54 (Home Depot)
Corrugated galvanized metal roofing panels: $16 X 9? = $144. (Home Depot)
PC roof panel: $26 X 9= $234 (My Home Depot has them cheaper than online price)

Total using metal roof: $315
Using PC roof panel: $405
Is it worth the $90 for the PC roof?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/10-ft-Corruga.../202322817
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrete-Pier.../202820094
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-26-in-.../100096441
https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/catalo...y+fittings

Any chance you may be overthinking this thing?
You want a place for summer seating, eating, visiting, and getting drunk?
Why not a few tables with market umbrellas? Cheap ones.
Or, wait until the sun sets and enjoy the warm summer evenings.
Or go to the park.
Better yet, go to TVguy's place...he has a huge wooden job that will shade a baseball team. 

(I have a nylon canopy. Seats six. It was less than $200.00 and added some padded folding chairs and a folding table. I put it all away in the winter. Works for me)

You haven't been following along have you? That's not what he wants. He already said he has an umbrella for summer months. He's looking for cover from rain for late season BBQ's.

By the way where does a body find padded folding patio chairs anymore? I used to find them at Freddy's but they haven't had anything the last couple years. My camping chair is beginning to show it's advanced age and I don't want to land on my butt one day.   Embarrassed
(10-23-2017, 12:55 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 12:33 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 11:11 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Do you think one of these 62# pier blocks on each leg would work to keep this planted on my patio? Do you have any better ideas? My wife is worried drilling a hole in the PVC to bolt it to the block would weaken the pipe too much. What do you think?

Here is the cost estimate so far. We'll need to add the cost of plants and planters that hide the pier blocks later. 

1 1/2" Poles: $6 X 15= $90. (from Ace)
Fittings: $3 X 9= $27. (online)
Pier Blocks: $9. X 6 = $54 (Home Depot)
Corrugated galvanized metal roofing panels: $16 X 9? = $144. (Home Depot)
PC roof panel: $26 X 9= $234 (My Home Depot has them cheaper than online price)

Total using metal roof: $315
Using PC roof panel: $405
Is it worth the $90 for the PC roof?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/10-ft-Corruga.../202322817
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrete-Pier.../202820094
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-26-in-.../100096441
https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/catalo...y+fittings

Any chance you may be overthinking this thing?
Or go to the park.
Better yet, go to TVguy's place...he has a huge wooden job that will shade a baseball team. 

(I have a nylon canopy. Seats six. It was less than $200.00 and added some padded folding chairs and a folding table. I put it all away in the winter. Works for me)

You haven't been following along have you? That's not what he wants. He already said he has an umbrella for summer months. He's looking for cover from rain for late season BBQ's.

By the way where does a body find padded folding patio chairs anymore? I used to find them at Freddy's but they haven't had anything the last couple years. My camping chair is beginning to show it's advanced age and I don't want to land on my butt one day.   Embarrassed
Guilty as charged...I have NOT been following along. 
It a perfect world we would all just be able to pick up the phone, call a contractor and say "hell with the costs, build me what I want". Not a perfect world. At least not for most of us. 
The chairs: Mrs. Wonky bought them. She's out, but I'll ask and try to remember to get back to you. 
Now...to learn to follow along.  Wink
I think you should consider using wood and the advantages of having something permanent.
I'm not even sure it would cost more. And use PVS roofing panels that lets light in.
You could browse online and see what others have done.

I would suggest that Gazebo thing I bought but as my neighbor said who bought the same one i did. It's a nightmare to put together.

If you posted a picture of your patio it would be easier to make sugestions Smiling
(10-23-2017, 03:43 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think you should consider using wood and the advantages of having something permanent.
I'm not even sure it would cost more. And use PVS roofing panels that lets light in.

I would suggest that Gazebo thing I bought but as my neighbor said who bought the same one i did. It's a nightmare to put together.

If you posted a picture of your patio it would be easier to make sugestions Smiling
I'm guessing the same thing. Check out Economy Lumber (any discount lumber yard) don't get too picky about materials, and keep it simple.
[Image: houston-patio-roof-03.jpg]
[Image: 33679.jpeg]
[Image: decoration-metal-patio-roofs-metal-roof-...vers-2.jpg]
(10-23-2017, 12:33 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Any chance you may be overthinking this thing?
Or go to the park.

This is for year round entertaining. We like to BBQ and sit around the firepit even in the winter, rain or snow. Our new house has a nice cement patio area but it's not covered. We have a 15' X 6' umbrella that fits into the middle of the table, but it just doesn't provide enough coverage.
(10-23-2017, 03:43 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think you should consider using wood and the advantages of having something permanent.

Did you look at the links in post 19? The grey shouldn't allow much light and the metal wouldn't allow any. The other thing about wood is, neither one of us is competent enough or physically capable of building the structures in your photos. Our plan is to put the PVC structure together upside down on the lawn and the roof with the thing on it's side. Then get a couple of people to flip it up and placed.  Big Grin

I'll take a photo of the patio area tomorrow, it's a bit dark now. Time for dinner! I found some Moroccan harissa sauce at Grocery Outlet so I made a kind of stew with it.  Eyebrows
(10-23-2017, 06:31 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Did you look at the links in post 19? The grey shouldn't allow much light and the metal wouldn't allow any. The other thing about wood is, neither one of us is competent enough or physically capable of building the structures in your photos. Our plan is to put the PVC structure together upside down on the lawn and the roof with the thing on it's side. Then get a couple of people to flip it up and placed.  Big Grin

I'll take a photo of the patio area tomorrow, it's a bit dark now. Time for dinner! I found some Moroccan harissa sauce at Grocery Outlet so I made a kind of stew with it.  Eyebrows

I don't think I've ever seen a structure made entirely of PVC that had that kind of roofing attached.
I think the roof would sag, maybe when it got hot. Or from it's own weight.

All the 10X20 car ports I have seen had a metal structure. Why do you want PVC?

You can buy the metal 10X20 frames on CL used. And you won't have to cut one single pipe.

And you can use something like this that comes with the kit instead of those ugly concrete peer blocks that are not designed for PVC pipe anyway.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2krqZehlltS9fnfUJaYq...5elfbJWYHw]
What is the cost of a 10' one inch metal pipe compared to a 4" PVC pipe?
(10-23-2017, 07:24 PM)chuck white Wrote: What is the cost of a 10' one inch metal pipe compared to a 4" PVC pipe?

IMO One inch metal in would not be enough. And good luck driving all those screws in to fasten the roof panels in to something that small and round.

Anyway I know you can buy the carport metal frames because I have one out back that cost me forty bucks.I planed on a putting metal roofing on it. I've seen them for $75.
And those have 2" upright poles and the cross pieces are about 1 1/2". And like I said they come with the brackets to mount to the concrete.

People buy them and when the top canvas wears out they just want to get rid of them.
(10-23-2017, 07:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen a structure made entirely of PVC that had that kind of roofing attached.

You can buy the metal 10X20 frames on CL used. And you won't have to cut one single pipe.

And you can use something like this that comes with the kit instead of those ugly concrete peer blocks that are not designed for PVC pipe anyway.

I've search CL and came up with nothing. Can you suggest a search term or look up here in the Portland area and see if you can find one?
(10-23-2017, 07:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 07:24 PM)chuck white Wrote: What is the cost of a 10' one inch metal pipe compared to a 4" PVC pipe?

IMO One inch metal in would not be enough. And good luck driving all those screws in to fasten the roof panels in to something that small and round.

Anyway I know you can buy the carport metal frames because I have one out back that cost me forty bucks.I planed on a putting metal roofing on it. I've seen them for $75.
And those have 2" upright poles and the cross pieces are about 1 1/2". And like I said they come with the brackets to mount to the concrete.

People buy them and when the top canvas wears out they just want to get rid of them.

If I could find one I would.
(10-23-2017, 07:46 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 07:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I've search CL and came up with nothing. Can you suggest a search term or look up here in the Portland area and see if you can find one?
I looked also and strangely enough NOW I don't see any. Try carport and car port.
That might be a good item to post in "WANTED ITEMS"
I guarantee there are a lot of them laying around. Smiling
(10-23-2017, 07:56 PM)tvguy Wrote: I looked also and strangely enough NOW I don't see any. Try carport and car port.

Boom! 

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/...08453.html
(10-23-2017, 08:14 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 07:56 PM)tvguy Wrote: I looked also and strangely enough NOW I don't see any. Try carport and car port.

Boom! 

But again it's not ideal because the sides are only 6' and it would need to be positioned away from the house.

Boom! 

Cool Big Grin
A five foot span between each pole length wise seems like a bit much for PVC roof panels but maybe not
(10-23-2017, 08:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Boom! 

Cool Big Grin
A five foot span between each pole length wise seems like a bit much for PVC roof panels but maybe not

I was thinking overlapping the panels would increase the rigidity.
So this morning I had trashed the idea of using PVC pipe altogether and had it narrowed down to this canopy on Amazon delivered free for under $300 and building one. Most of the reviews say it's pretty darn good for the money once you get past the poor attention to detail regarding burrs and needing to prep the fittings before constructing. Missing parts from crappy packaging/shipping on some also.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G7Q1XQ/_en...2BE33D51C3

If building one I planned to use this kit of fittings available in 1" or 1 3/8" and get the pipe I found locally. With the roofing and the items I need to secure it solidly I'd be getting close to $500 or $600 and I could probably be able to get it right next to the house like I really want it. Also, it would in all likelihood last much longer with less worry about storms.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x20-Ft-1-3-8-...0005.m1851

BUT NOW my wife comes in with the Bi-Mart ad and lo and behold they have a larger version (12' x 26' ) of the same ShelterLogic Canopy for $199.99.  Surprised When I called just before they closed tonight they said they also have a 10' X 20' (that I hope is the exact same one as the one on Amazon) for $99.99.  Surprised Surprised  So I guess I'm leaning towards the cheaper/easier one. I'm thinking it will last at least a few years and maybe by then we'll be able to add a few more options for something permanent.

There are some pretty good YouTube videos from folks that beefed up these type canopies I may try if need be and someone on Amazon said they ran a wire cable all the way through the tubes on both sides and secured that to the ground for further protection from wind.