PVC Pipe Question
I see they sell pvc cutters. If working with 2" pvc schedule 40, are they much more efficient than a typical hacksaw?
(10-20-2017, 12:06 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I see they sell pvc cutters. If working with 2" pvc schedule 40, are they much more efficient than a typical hacksaw?

Yes, quicker and cleaner
(10-20-2017, 12:12 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 12:06 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I see they sell pvc cutters. If working with 2" pvc schedule 40, are they much more efficient than a typical hacksaw?

Yes, quicker and cleaner

Absolutely! And (provided you use them with a least some attention) the cut is 90 degrees to the length of the pipe and provides a much better fitting into joints.

I don't own one, at least one that will cut 2 in PVC and I have miles of PVC around my compound LOL.

I know they cut perfectly square but I use a dewalt sawzall I I never have leaks. Not sure what you are doing but I assume this is an outside installation  and you won't need to make many cuts. plus even if you had a leak it wouldn't be a big deal.

All of my indoor PVC was cut with a tubing cutter. But I've never bothered taking the time when I run PVC outside and I don't EVER remember having a leak.
(10-20-2017, 02:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I don't own one, at least one that will cut 2 in PVC and I have miles of PVC around my compound LOL.

I know they cut perfectly square but I use a dewalt sawzall I I never have leaks. Not sure what you are doing but I assume this is an outside installation  and you won't need to make many cuts. plus even if you had a leak it wouldn't be a big deal.

All of my indoor PVC was cut with a tubing cutter. But I've never bothered taking the time when I run PVC outside and I don't EVER remember having a leak.

See...More than one way to skin a cat. You DO have a sawzall? (You mentioned the hacksaw). If you don't want to spring for a reciprocating saw, you still will have to pony up a few bucks for a good tubing cutter. Or, just stick with the hacksaw. 
This will handle up a bit over 2" but will set you back over 40 bucks. 
See what they have a Harbor Freight. 

[Image: 51wGrXEYGdL._SX425_.jpg]
Thank you all!

I'm not concerned with leaks, but if the cutter is easier I'll likely get one as they're not too pricy. I'm thinking of building a 4' X 6' greenhouse with maybe 1" pipe first and then a 10' X 20' patio cover with either 1 1/2" or 2" pipe if that goes well. 

I was thinking something like THIS WONKY Smiling  only with a hard roof like corrugated fiberglass and custom sized to fit just under the edge of the roof. This tent shown is 16' X 32', but it and most 10' X 20's I'm finding are only 6' on the edges so would need to be set up away from house and my bald head would get wet when I go out to grill.  Big Grin

[Image: 20171020_131121.jpg]
(10-20-2017, 04:26 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Thank you all!

I'm not concerned with leaks, but if the cutter is easier I'll likely get one as they're not too pricy. I'm thinking of building a 4' X 6' greenhouse with maybe 1" pipe first and then a 10' X 20' patio cover with either 1 1/2" or 2" pipe if that goes well. 

I was thinking something like THIS WONKY Smiling  only with a hard roof like corrugated fiberglass and custom sized to fit just under the edge of the roof. This tent shown is 16' X 32', but it and most 10' X 20's I'm finding are only 6' on the edges so would need to be set up away from house and my bald head would get wet when I go out to grill.  Big Grin

[Image: 20171020_131121.jpg]

OH hell for that a regular hacksaw with an 18 tooth per in blade is all you need. And will cut faster than than a tubing cutter.
Or if you don't have one a battery operated reciprocal saw (Sawzall) is VERY convenient. I couldn't live without one LOL.
If you were closer I would give you a great deal on an 18 volt dewalt saws and drills because I went to the 20 volt stuff.
The one you show a link to has steel poles
(10-20-2017, 04:36 PM)tvguy Wrote: The one you show a link to has steel poles

Yes I know and if I could find one just like it that was 10x20 foot I'd probably buy it. All the ones I see 10 X 20 foot are made with crappy metal poles instead of the galvanized poles this one has. That or they're easy folding pop up ones that probably wouldn't last long through a winter.

Ideally I'd like to find it galvanized steel kit with all the things you need except for the tarp and then put a solid roof on that, but I don't even know where to start to look for that.
Do you think I can buy this and use PVC pipe poles?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-20-Heavy-D...SwkNZUrF2m
(10-20-2017, 07:33 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Do you think I can buy this and use PVC pipe poles?

If you fill the PVC with cement, yes.
(10-20-2017, 09:36 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 07:33 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Do you think I can buy this and use PVC pipe poles?

I was thinking sand.  Smiling I'm trying to keep it portable....
(10-20-2017, 09:42 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I really should not offer up anything and wait for TVguy to weigh in. (NO! That IS NOT sarcastic. Damn. This place is difficult to express shit. TVguy has lots of experience with getting things done that don't require going to high priced outlets and buying things more expensive than necessary)

But...I did put together something similar once when I volunteered at the Humane Society. (They were broke and I had to cough up the money for materials myself) I did use PVC because a friend had a "top" left over for some reason. I had access to some affordable rebar and inserted it in the uprights of the PVC (1" as I remember it). It looked okay and was perfect for parking the riding mower (and a few other things) under cover. 
Then one winter day it snowed (a lot) and the while the PVC uprights held, the fabric tore apart. The skeleton wasn't of much use. 

Just something to consider.
(10-21-2017, 09:51 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I really should not offer up anything and wait for TVguy to weigh in. (NO! That IS NOT sarcastic. Damn. This place is difficult to express shit. TVguy has lots of experience with getting things done that don't require going to high priced outlets and buying things more expensive than necessary)

But...I did put together something similar once when I volunteered at the Humane Society. (They were broke and I had to cough up the money for materials myself) I did use PVC because a friend had a "top" left over for some reason. I had access to some affordable rebar and inserted it in the uprights of the PVC (1" as I remember it). It looked okay and was perfect for parking the riding mower (and a few other things) under cover. 
Then one winter day it snowed (a lot) and the while the PVC uprights held, the fabric tore apart. The skeleton wasn't of much use. 

Rebar is a good idea, thanks.
(10-20-2017, 02:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I have a Sawzall I bought it Harbor Freight, but so far it hasn't cut anything I've tried to cut with it very well. It didn't cut a tree branch ,  or a dry tree branch, or a two by four. It might cut drywall okay but I don't have any so I don't know.  ;)

I thought it just might be the blades that came with it, but I bought some new ones and they were the same.
(10-21-2017, 12:39 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

The real problem is that one year when we (you) get 3" of snow. It will shred the covering. (I'm guessing...maybe you have a good quality nylon covering with a thread weave. The one that fell apart on me was plastic...thick, but still just some kind of white plastic (and had been used one season). 
Good luck.
BEST IDEA: Get rid of "stuff"!  Laughing
(10-21-2017, 12:52 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 09:36 PM)chuck white Wrote: If you fill the PVC with cement, yes.

The real problem is that one year when we (you) get 3" of snow. It will shred the covering. (I'm guessing...maybe you have a good quality nylon covering with a thread weave. The one that fell apart on me was plastic...thick, but still just some kind of white plastic (and had been used one season). 
Good luck.

If I build one myself I will not use a soft cover of any type. I have a garage and a shed for stuff, this is for entertaining. We like to BBQ and sit around the firepit year round and our new house has a nice cement patio area but it's not covered. We have a 15' X 6' umbrella, but I don't want to use it all winter.
(10-21-2017, 01:47 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 12:52 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 09:42 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I was thinking sand.  Smiling I'm trying to keep it portable....

Good luck.

If I build one myself I will not use a soft cover of any type. I have a garage and a shed for stuff, this is for entertaining. We like to BBQ and sit around the firepit year round and our new house has a nice cement patio area but it's not covered. We have a 15' X 6' umbrella, but I don't want to use it all winter.
Four cheap umbrellas from Big Lots?  Smiling
Do you think one of these 62# pier blocks on each leg would work to keep this planted on my patio? Do you have any better ideas? My wife is worried drilling a hole in the PVC to bolt it to the block would weaken the pipe too much. What do you think?

Here is the cost estimate so far. We'll need to add the cost of plants and planters that hide the pier blocks later. 

1 1/2" Poles: $6 X 15= $90. (from Ace)
Fittings: $3 X 9= $27. (online)
Pier Blocks: $9. X 6 = $54 (Home Depot)
Corrugated galvanized metal roofing panels: $16 X 9? = $144. (Home Depot)
PC roof panel: $26 X 9= $234 (My Home Depot has them cheaper than online price)

Total using metal roof: $315
Using PC roof panel: $405
Is it worth the $90 for the PC roof?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/10-ft-Corruga.../202322817
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrete-Pier.../202820094
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-26-in-.../100096441
https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/catalo...y+fittings
[Image: cinder-blocks-8053112-64_1000.jpg]
(10-23-2017, 11:11 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Do you think one of these 62# pier blocks on each leg would work to keep this planted on my patio? Do you have any better ideas? My wife is worried drilling a hole in the PVC to bolt it to the block would weaken the pipe too much. What do you think?

Here is the cost estimate so far. We'll need to add the cost of plants and planters that hide the pier blocks later. 

1 1/2" Poles: $6 X 15= $90. (from Ace)
Fittings: $3 X 9= $27. (online)
Pier Blocks: $9. X 6 = $54 (Home Depot)
Corrugated galvanized metal roofing panels: $16 X 9? = $144. (Home Depot)
PC roof panel: $26 X 9= $234 (My Home Depot has them cheaper than online price)

Total using metal roof: $315
Using PC roof panel: $405
Is it worth the $90 for the PC roof?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/10-ft-Corruga.../202322817
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrete-Pier.../202820094
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-26-in-.../100096441
https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/catalo...y+fittings
[Image: cinder-blocks-8053112-64_1000.jpg]

Any chance you may be overthinking this thing?
You want a place for summer seating, eating, visiting, and getting drunk?
Why not a few tables with market umbrellas? Cheap ones.
Or, wait until the sun sets and enjoy the warm summer evenings.
Or go to the park.
Better yet, go to TVguy's place...he has a huge wooden job that will shade a baseball team. 

(I have a nylon canopy. Seats six. It was less than $200.00 and added some padded folding chairs and a folding table. I put it all away in the winter. Works for me)