Some Really Good Pot for your Teen-Ager?
I'm all about freedom to smoke cannabis. Willie Nelson smokes every day and all day (I've read) and Wille seem to be doing just fine. But for budding minds? The article below SUGGESTS the ongoing studies are cause for alarm but goes on to say some researchers feel more study is required.

BERLIN—Society’s embrace of cannabis to treat nausea, pain and other conditions proceeds apace with the drive to legalize the plant for recreational use. Pot’s seemingly innocuous side effects have helped clear a path toward making it a legal cash crop, with all of the marketing glitz brought to other consumer products. But that clean bill of health only goes so far. Marijuana’s potentially detrimental impact on the developing brains of adolescents remains a key focus of research—particularly because of the possibility teenage users could go on to face a higher risk of psychosis.

New findings may fuel those worries. At the World Psychiatric Association’s World Congress in Berlin on October 9, Hannelore Ehrenreich of the Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine presented results of a study of 1,200 people with schizophrenia. The investigation analyzed a wide range of genetic and environmental risk factors for developing the debilitating mental illness. The results—being submitted for publication—show people who had consumed cannabis before age 18 developed schizophrenia approximately 10 years earlier than others. The higher the frequency of use, the data indicated, the earlier the age of schizophrenia onset. In her study neither alcohol use nor genetics predicted an earlier time of inception, but pot did. “Cannabis use during puberty is a major risk factor for schizophrenia,” Ehrenreich says.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...rengthens/
I remember reading somewhere that schizophrenia is considered a twentieth century disease, meaning that before the 20th century is was rare. Which made me go "Huh?" How can we say that a psychiatric disorder didn't exist? I didn't quite understand it. At any rate I've seen MJ cited among other things as contributors to schizophrenia. I think it's interesting to say it can bring onset on 10 years earlier when it typically presents in early adulthood. Are we redefining early adulthood? Anyway, it's interesting.
(10-20-2017, 02:24 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I'm all about freedom to smoke cannabis. Willie Nelson smokes every day and all day (I've read) and Wille seem to be doing just fine. But for budding minds? The article below SUGGESTS the ongoing studies are cause for alarm but goes on to say some researchers feel more study is required.

BERLIN—Society’s embrace of cannabis to treat nausea, pain and other conditions proceeds apace with the drive to legalize the plant for recreational use. Pot’s seemingly innocuous side effects have helped clear a path toward making it a legal cash crop, with all of the marketing glitz brought to other consumer products. But that clean bill of health only goes so far. Marijuana’s potentially detrimental impact on the developing brains of adolescents remains a key focus of research—particularly because of the possibility teenage users could go on to face a higher risk of psychosis.

New findings may fuel those worries. At the World Psychiatric Association’s World Congress in Berlin on October 9, Hannelore Ehrenreich of the Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine presented results of a study of 1,200 people with schizophrenia. The investigation analyzed a wide range of genetic and environmental risk factors for developing the debilitating mental illness. The results—being submitted for publication—show people who had consumed cannabis before age 18 developed schizophrenia approximately 10 years earlier than others. The higher the frequency of use, the data indicated, the earlier the age of schizophrenia onset. In her study neither alcohol use nor genetics predicted an earlier time of inception, but pot did. “Cannabis use during puberty is a major risk factor for schizophrenia,” Ehrenreich says.

I don't know of anyone here or elsewhere who thinks it's OK for teens to smoke pot. But thanks for posting the article.
From what I read there's nothing conclusive and unless I missed it they don't explain what age these people who had schizophrenia started smoking or how often they smoked.
And in the same article there is evidence that it's simply not true that teens who smoke develop schizophrenia.

increased cannabis use by the public has not been followed by a proportional rise in diagnoses of schizophrenia or psychosis.”

In 2015 the Toronto-based International Center for Science in Drug Policy issued a report—“State of the Evidence: Cannabis Use and Regulation”—that detailed this discrepancy. It cited a British study that estimated the significant rise in pot use should have produced, between 1990 and 2010, a 29 percent increase in schizophrenia cases among men and 12 percent among women. But according to other data, during the time when usage was thought to have grown most (1996 to 2005), the number of new schizophrenia cases remained stable or declined. “These findings strongly suggest that cannabis use does not cause schizophrenia,” the center’s report notes.

(10-20-2017, 02:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 02:24 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I'm all about freedom to smoke cannabis. Willie Nelson smokes every day and all day (I've read) and Wille seem to be doing just fine. But for budding minds? The article below SUGGESTS the ongoing studies are cause for alarm but goes on to say some researchers feel more study is required.

I don't know of anyone here or elsewhere who thinks it's OK for teens to smoke pot. But thanks for posting the article.
From what I read there's nothing conclusive and unless I missed it they don't explain what age these people who had schizophrenia started smoking or how often they smoked.
And in the same article there is evidence that it's simply not true that teens who smoke develop schizophrenia.

increased cannabis use by the public has not been followed by a proportional rise in diagnoses of schizophrenia or psychosis.”

In 2015 the Toronto-based International Center for Science in Drug Policy issued a report—“State of the Evidence: Cannabis Use and Regulation”—that detailed this discrepancy. It cited a British study that estimated the significant rise in pot use should have produced, between 1990 and 2010, a 29 percent increase in schizophrenia cases among men and 12 percent among women. But according to other data, during the time when usage was thought to have grown most (1996 to 2005), the number of new schizophrenia cases remained stable or declined. “These findings strongly suggest that cannabis use does not cause schizophrenia,” the center’s report notes.
Good enough for me...THEY are the science people.
But...the other study was what pot might do to YOUNG minds. 
I don't have a clue, but I like that trained people are looking at it anyway.
(10-20-2017, 02:40 PM)Juniper Wrote: I remember reading somewhere that schizophrenia is considered a twentieth century disease, meaning that before the 20th century is was rare.  Which made me go "Huh?"  How can we say that a psychiatric disorder didn't exist?  I didn't quite understand it.  At any rate I've seen MJ cited among other things as contributors to schizophrenia.  I think it's interesting to say it can bring onset on 10 years earlier when it typically presents in early adulthood. Are we redefining early adulthood?  Anyway, it's interesting.

I don't doubt at all that kids who smoke the hell out of weed constantly might be more likely to get this disease.

As far as  "How can we say that a psychiatric disorder didn't exist? " I have no clue. I also wonder about what levels of schizophrenia there are.
Like in this study when they diagnose people as being schitzo.
I don't think smoking pot cause schizophrenia.
And i don't think so too.
(10-20-2017, 05:09 PM)chuck white Wrote: I don't think smoking pot cause schizophrenia.

There are scientists all over the world who would love to study you.  Big Grin
(10-21-2017, 09:57 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 05:09 PM)chuck white Wrote: I don't think smoking pot cause schizophrenia.

There are scientists all over the world who would love to study you.  Big Grin

He KNOWS!

[Image: dscn3605.jpg]
Teens used to have the best pot. Legalization is a godsend for old folks who don't have a corner with a guy in a trench coat to buy drugs at.
(10-21-2017, 11:25 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Teens  used to have  the best pot. Legalization is a godsend for old folks who don't have a corner with a guy in a trench coat to buy drugs at.
When I moved to Oregon I didn't know anyone so I asked the teen next door where to get weed and how much.
He said 35 an eighth and we thought he was nuts.
It turned out it really was that expensive then. I refused to pay that much.
(10-21-2017, 03:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 11:25 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Teens  used to have  the best pot. Legalization is a godsend for old folks who don't have a corner with a guy in a trench coat to buy drugs at.
When I moved to Oregon I didn't know anyone so I asked the teen next door where to get weed and how much.

Now that does make me feel old. "Back in the day" we paid ten bucks for a "baggie", sticks, seeds, and all. It took a complete fatty to get high, and even then it did not blast the top of your head off, but it made Pink Floyd sound fine! 
By the time I stopped using, I'd take four hits and forget who I was and what town I was in. And while I can't recall just how much it cost, I think I had to get a credit union load.  Wink
(10-21-2017, 03:38 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Now that does make me feel old. "Back in the day" we paid ten bucks for a "baggie", sticks, seeds, and all. It took a complete fatty to get high, and even then it did not blast the top of your head off, but it made Pink Floyd sound fine! 
By the time I stopped using, I'd take four hits and forget who I was and what town I was in. And while I can't recall just how much it cost, I think I had to get a credit union load.  Wink

Yeah I bought that Mexican shit too LOL. But this was bud. Once in California some guy T boned my 1961 VW and totaled it.
I sued, got a settlement for 3 thousand bucks. I bought a newer 1966 VW for 600 bucks and brand new very nice guitar for $280. And two kilos of Mexican weed for $180 each and blew town. Good times Big Grin
(10-21-2017, 04:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 03:38 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Yeah I bought that Mexican shit too LOL. But this was bud. Once in California some guy T boned my 1961 VW and totaled it.
I sued, got a settlement for 3 thousand bucks. I bought a newer 1966 VW for 600 bucks and brand new very nice guitar for $280. And two kilos of Mexican weed for $180 each and blew town. Good times Big Grin

Hey! It's all about priorities. Man's gotta do what a mans gotta do.  Smiling
12 volt makes all the difference.
(10-21-2017, 07:27 PM)bbqboy Wrote: 12 volt makes all the difference.

LOL you mean the bugs right? I had two 6 volt batteries under the back seat so I could power up my 12 volt stereo. Big Grin
I know that trick. Smiling
(10-22-2017, 08:27 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I know that trick.  Smiling
It's 7:00 PM. Are you off the streets and safely tucked in ready to listen to Kansas City Radio on your wireless? 
Or do you know that trick.  Smiling

Of course it's an unnecessary post and makes no sense. But, I was the last one to have posted on all the topics listed today on the forum except this on and wanted to "complete the set". 

I don't often get a chance to achieve this kind of milestone.  Laughing
You ain't last no more
Sunday night means football. Why would I listen to Kansas icy Radio? That's what the rest of humanity does on Facebook.
(10-22-2017, 10:35 PM)tvguy Wrote: You ain't last no more

Well maybe...I almost ALWAYS last.  Wink