MAN FATALLY SHOOTS HIMSELF IN HUNTING ACCIDENT
Pretty tragic, but I can't see how this happened. I know the area fairly well and it doesn't seem like you should be able to legally hunt there, but I really don't know. Maybe you can hunt at the little pond there? 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/19200+...22.8148787

October 21, 2017 -- A man accidentally shot and killed himself while duck hunting. The man was trying to pull his shotgun toward himself and mistakenly fired the gun, hitting himself in the under arm.

On Friday, October 20, 2017, at 5:54 p.m., Washington County Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a report of a shooting in the 19200 block of SW Cipole Road in Sherwood. It was reported that two males were duck hunting when one of the males inadvertently shot himself.

Sheriff's deputies, along with officers from the Tualatin, Sherwood, and King City Police departments, responded to the scene. During the investigation, deputies learned that 26-year-old Creed V. Brattain IV, of Hubbard, unintentionally fired his shotgun while attempting to pull it up a small hill.

Deputies, officers, and Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue (TVF&R) rendered aid in an attempt to save Mr. Brattain's life, but he was pronounced deceased at the scene. A thorough investigation by deputies and the medical examiner confirmed this to be a tragic accident. Mr. Brattain's hunting partner remained on scene and cooperated with investigators.

Mr. Brattain's family has been notified of his death.
Sometimes the duck wins.

[Image: 563815076_1061083.gif]
Shotgun pellets lose their velocity pretty quickly. I don't know if there is actually a law about how close you can hunt with them using a shotgun.
I think the laws are more about where the projectiles land. Because I can actually legally shoot any gun on my property ( I don't) and there are houses all around me.

So if that little pond is on private property and not within city limits it's probably legal to duck hunt
unintentionally fired his shotgun while attempting to pull it up a small hill.

Darwin award?

(Sorry the guy is dead, but we only get so many chances to make dumb mistakes)
(10-21-2017, 03:42 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: unintentionally fired his shotgun while attempting to pull it up a small hill.

Darwin award?

Yes incredibly stupid. I've done most of my hunting with a single shot 16 gauge given to me by my brother when I was 14.
It won't fire unless you cock the trigger and You only do that when you are ready to fire. But this guy probably had a pump and obvious the safety was off.
I would NEVER have the safety off unless I saw ducks coming.
(10-21-2017, 04:27 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-21-2017, 03:42 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: unintentionally fired his shotgun while attempting to pull it up a small hill.

Darwin award?

Yes incredibly stupid. I've done most of my hunting with a single shot 16 gauge given to me by my brother when I was 14.
It won't fire unless you cock the trigger and You only do that when you are ready to fire. But this guy probably had a pump and obvious the safety was off.
I wonder...
While I don't own a gun, I grew up in a "gun culture" and the men in the families (not only dads, but grandfathers, uncles, and others) made SURE than when young guys started using guns we were taught gun safety...until it was coming out our ears and we tired of hearing it. But, it paid off. 
So now I wonder about so many kids who grow up in "single family" homes where fathers are not around (or attentive) and no longer have this kind of relationship to pass on these things. 
Don't know. Just wondering.
(10-22-2017, 11:16 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Darwin award?

I wonder...
While I don't own a gun, I grew up in a "gun culture" and the men in the families (not only dads, but grandfathers, uncles, and others) made SURE than when young guys started using guns we were taught gun safety...until it was coming out our ears and we tired of hearing it. But, it paid off. 
So now I wonder about so many kids who grow up in "single family" homes where fathers are not around (or attentive) and no longer have this kind of relationship to pass on these things. 

Absolutely true. I've hunted with younger people who definitely did not have the basic unwritten laws of gun safety drilled in to them.
Until they met me.
(10-22-2017, 11:25 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 11:16 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Darwin award?

I wonder...

Absolutely true. I've hunted with younger people who definitely did not have the basic unwritten laws of gun safety drilled in to them.
Until they met me.

Smiling Good for you! There are times when folks just have to be given instructions. 

(Kind of like all the times I have to straighten out your ass here on the forum  Razz Razz )
Who knew duck hunting could be so dangerous,

Quote:Bodies of 3 Texas men recovered after duck hunting trip

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/09/bod...-trip.html

Quote:Missing country singer found dead after duck hunting in winter storm

http://fox13now.com/2016/01/04/missing-c...ter-storm/
(10-22-2017, 07:25 PM)chuck white Wrote: Who knew duck hunting could be so dangerous,

Quote:Bodies of 3 Texas men recovered after duck hunting trip

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/09/bod...-trip.html

Quote:Missing country singer found dead after duck hunting in winter storm

http://fox13now.com/2016/01/04/missing-c...ter-storm/
No disrespect to the dead but you just can't fix stupid. 
Duck hunting is not dangerous. Untold numbers of duck hunters never endanger themselves or others. 

Strickland, a 29-year-old vocalist in the country rock band Backroad Anthem, and 22-year-old Morland were duck hunting at Oklahoma’s Kaw Lake the Sunday after Christmas when a  fierce winter weather system was hitting central portions of the country, the band said.
After relatives reported them missing on Dec. 27, state troopers said they found Morland’s two days later at the lake, where the friends’ boat purportedly overturned.
The weather at the time of the trip was dangerous with rain, sleet, snow and frigid wind chills as low as 15 degrees, according to KFOR-TV.
His (Mr Brattain) fiance's family is from GP.
(11-08-2017, 04:31 PM)BeerMe Wrote: His (Mr Brattain) fiance's family is from GP.

Do they duck hunt too?
(11-08-2017, 08:10 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 04:31 PM)BeerMe Wrote: His (Mr Brattain) fiance's family is from GP.

Do they duck hunt too?

Fishermen