Hearing Aids
I have pretty severe hearing loss. I'm not deaf, but if there is more than one "noise" near me, (like the TV and my wife), I can't understand either. This has been going on for years and it's been getting worse. My wife has been after me to get hearing aids but I've been reluctant because the few guys that I know, (that have them), don't care for them and claim that they don't help all that much.

Anyway, last Spring I saw an ad in the paper, (I don't read the paper so I didn't know then that this ad runs almost every week). Anyway, the ad claimed to be looking for 50 guinea pigs to try NEW TECHNOLOGY. They claimed 100% guarantee. So I made an appointment and went in. When I asked about the NEW TECHNOLOGY it appeared that there was no 50 person limit and no new technology. At this point I knew that the ad was just a lure to get people in the door. But I was there so I took the FREE hearing evaluation. It was very important to me that whatever hearing aids that I might buy would have Bluetooth technology for my job. I am on the phone a lot and hearing aids would prevent me from wearing a headset while I drive. 

Right from the start I was wary because I felt that I had been duped by the operation by their misleading ad. In the end I bought a pair of hearing aids and after the required time, (2 weeks I think... maybe 30 days), I took them back for a refund. I DID get the refund but it took some talking and some threats. Actually the hearing aids worked okay but the Bluetooth aspect did not. I had made it clear that the Bluetooth needed to be better than what I was already using. It wasn't. In fact I found myself only wearing the hearing aids at home and using my old headset at work.

Anyway, I still need something to help with my hearing but I can't help but feel that all of the hearing aid operations use the same sales tactics. I've been told that soon we will be able to self-test and order customized hearing aids without seeing a doctor. Has anyone else heard this?

Save the mocking about being duped... I've already admittted it.
My mother has had hearing aids for 4ish (?) years.  She went to the same place that our Clone (Eva) went.  They have since gone out of business.  It blows me away how my mom still misses hearing so much; how often she has to change the batteries (she should buy stock in them); and they don't work at all with telephones (cell or landline)... she has to use the speakerphone in order to hear anything.  AND... they weren't cheap!  She got the kind that fits in her ear... like it takes up her entire ear.  Another friend got the kind that has a little tube that sits down in his ear that he got through the VA (a cheapo version) and it seems to work tons better than my mom's expensive hearing aids.

Good luck!
I don't think I have severe hearing loss, but I have that kind of hearing issue with sound...I can't differentiate specific sounds from ambient ones. I always had subtitles on the TV. Then I got a new "smart" TV and we can't find the subtitle function. Sad
I have male patterned deafness, a lose of high frequencies.

I can't here above a man's vocal tones.
(10-22-2017, 08:42 AM)Scrapper Wrote: My mother has had hearing aids for 4ish (?) years.  She went to the same place that our Clone (Eva) went.  They have since gone out of business.  It blows me away how my mom still misses hearing so much; how often she has to change the batteries (she should buy stock in them); and they don't work at all with telephones (cell or landline)... she has to use the speakerphone in order to hear anything.  AND... they weren't cheap!  She got the kind that fits in her ear... like it takes up her entire ear.  Another friend got the kind that has a little tube that sits down in his ear that he got through the VA (a cheapo version) and it seems to work tons better than my mom's expensive hearing aids.

Good luck!

I that the place on "E" St.  (I think) in GP?
GCG, have you checked what they have at Costco Hearing Center? I don't have the need yet, but they should have good choices on the upper end, with low prices. Good luck.
Good Luck GCG. I've had "some" hearing loss for some about 8-10 years (I'm 80). I hear the "volume" okay but often don't distinguish tones and so miss-hear words and so the meaning. So, when someone says "The little red car" I may hear "The battle of the red Tzar"  Wink. Pain in the ass.

Because I'm a natural born cynic I balked at going to to the commercial hearing centers where they sell hearing aids. I went to Medford INT and paid for a hearing test. The short version: A hearing aid is not going to help you a lot right now. In time, yes. Not yet. Deal with it. 
So I wait. 

So...don't know what to tell you. Give up most TV (Baseball still good: Don't need sound) get some TV Ears (they helped me a little) sit close to friends at coffee and ask them to "speak" up and then tell them to repeat it. Get new coffee friends when they no longer will put up with this. 

And this: Books! So many books, so little time. There are few pleasures as great as being about two thirds into a good book knowing tomorrow you will have the joy of spending time with it. 

And...you don't have to hear to post here!  Big Grin
(10-22-2017, 10:07 AM)chuck white Wrote: I have male patterned deafness, a lose of high frequencies.

Is there female patterned deafness?  Because it's low tones I have trouble with.
(10-22-2017, 11:01 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 10:07 AM)chuck white Wrote: I have male patterned deafness, a lose of high frequencies.

Is there female patterned deafness?  Because it's low tones I have trouble with.

What?
(10-22-2017, 08:26 AM)GCG Wrote: I have pretty severe hearing loss. I'm not deaf, but if there is more than one "noise" near me, (like the TV and my wife), I can't understand either. This has been going on for years and it's been getting worse. My wife has been after me to get hearing aids but I've been reluctant because the few guys that I know, (that have them), don't care for them and claim that they don't help all that much.

Anyway, last Spring I saw an ad in the paper, (I don't read the paper so I didn't know then that this ad runs almost every week). Anyway, the ad claimed to be looking for 50 guinea pigs to try NEW TECHNOLOGY. They claimed 100% guarantee. So I made an appointment and went in. When I asked about the NEW TECHNOLOGY it appeared that there was no 50 person limit and no new technology. At this point I knew that the ad was just a lure to get people in the door. But I was there so I took the FREE hearing evaluation. It was very important to me that whatever hearing aids that I might buy would have Bluetooth technology for my job. I am on the phone a lot and hearing aids would prevent me from wearing a headset while I drive. 

Right from the start I was wary because I felt that I had been duped by the operation by their misleading ad. In the end I bought a pair of hearing aids and after the required time, (2 weeks I think... maybe 30 days), I took them back for a refund. I DID get the refund but it took some talking and some threats. Actually the hearing aids worked okay but the Bluetooth aspect did not. I had made it clear that the Bluetooth needed to be better than what I was already using. It wasn't. In fact I found myself only wearing the hearing aids at home and using my old headset at work.

Anyway, I still need something to help with my hearing but I can't help but feel that all of the hearing aid operations use the same sales tactics. I've been told that soon we will be able to self-test and order customized hearing aids without seeing a doctor. Has anyone else heard this?

I have lived a lifetime of shooting and rock concerts. and my hearing is definitely affected.  (I blame Alice Cooper for most of it)

I went to that hearing place that has been advertising on the radio (pretty sure the same one you went to) just to get the free hearing test to see where I was.  I never had any intention of paying their prices for hearing aids.  I took the information (graph) to Costco and had their free test as well, and they were almost identical.  So the good news is, that expensive place is not ripping anyone off on the testing.  I bought Kirkland hearing aids from Costco about 6 months ago and I really like them.

I think it's attitude for most people on whether they "like" their hearing aids.  No, it's not perfect sound reproduction.  Yes I can feel them, and they are not always comfortable. But I like to HEAR better than I can without them, so I wear them all day until bedtime.  I think I paid $1700 for the pair.
(10-22-2017, 10:27 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 08:42 AM)Scrapper Wrote: My mother has had hearing aids for 4ish (?) years.  She went to the same place that our Clone (Eva) went.  They have since gone out of business.  It blows me away how my mom still misses hearing so much; how often she has to change the batteries (she should buy stock in them); and they don't work at all with telephones (cell or landline)... she has to use the speakerphone in order to hear anything.  AND... they weren't cheap!  She got the kind that fits in her ear... like it takes up her entire ear.  Another friend got the kind that has a little tube that sits down in his ear that he got through the VA (a cheapo version) and it seems to work tons better than my mom's expensive hearing aids.

Good luck!

I that the place on "E" St.  (I think) in GP?
It was Grants Pass... but I'm not sure of the exact location.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(10-22-2017, 11:21 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 08:26 AM)GCG Wrote: I have pretty severe hearing loss. I'm not deaf, but if there is more than one "noise" near me, (like the TV and my wife), I can't understand either. This has been going on for years and it's been getting worse. My wife has been after me to get hearing aids but I've been reluctant because the few guys that I know, (that have them), don't care for them and claim that they don't help all that much.

I have lived a lifetime of shooting and rock concerts. and my hearing is definitely affected.  (I blame Alice Cooper for most of it)

I went to that hearing place that has been advertising on the radio (pretty sure the same one you went to) just to get the free hearing test to see where I was.  I never had any intention of paying their prices for hearing aids.  I took the information (graph) to Costco and had their free test as well, and they were almost identical.  So the good news is, that expensive place is not ripping anyone off on the testing.  I bought Kirkland hearing aids from Costco about 6 months ago and I really like them.

I think it's attitude for most people on whether they "like" their hearing aids.  No, it's not perfect sound reproduction.  Yes I can feel them, and they are not always comfortable. But I like to HEAR better than I can without them, so I wear them all day until bedtime.  I think I paid $1700 for the pair.

First of all dummy, if you had been listening to MY music (Sons of the pioneers, Lawrence Welk, Pat Boone, and Mr. Roberts) your hearing might not have been damaged.  Smiling

But..really makes me wonder...I'd gladly spring 1700 bucks (up to a couple of thousand) IF I thought it would help even to the extent you describe. 
But...(See my post above, #7 if you have time) I have trouble being optimistic. 
I read an article someplace recently pointing out how isolating being hearing impaired can be...they suggested even more than blindness. Not sure. 

About guns...use a SILENCER!  Razz Razz
(10-22-2017, 12:42 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 11:21 AM)Hugo Wrote:

First of all dummy, if you had been listening to MY music (Sons of the pioneers, Lawrence Welk, Pat Boone, and Mr. Roberts) your hearing might not have been damaged.  Smiling

But..really makes me wonder...I'd gladly spring 1700 bucks (up to a couple of thousand) IF I thought it would help even to the extent you describe. 
But...(See my post above, #7 if you have time) I have trouble being optimistic. 
I read an article someplace recently pointing out how isolating being hearing impaired can be...they suggested even more than blindness. Not sure. 

About guns...use a SILENCER!  Razz Razz

I'd gladly spring 1700 bucks (up to a couple of thousand) IF I thought it would help even to the extent you describe.
I would imagine you could buy them , try them and return them if you don't like.

Anything would be better than that funnel thing you carry around. Razz
My step dad has some that I know he is very happy with. I believe the VA was involved. But they are fancy, there is a wireless signal (Bluetooth?) That sends TV sound directly to the hearing aids, there is something else that connects them to his cell phone. Not that this is helpful because I don't know brand or anything, but there is some fancy tech out there that at least in his case is working.
(10-22-2017, 02:36 PM)GPnative Wrote: My step dad has some that I know he is very happy with. I believe the VA was involved. But they are fancy, there is a wireless signal (Bluetooth?) That sends TV sound directly to the hearing aids, there is something else that connects them to his cell phone. Not that this is helpful because I don't know brand or anything, but there is some fancy tech out there that at least in his case is working.

I read recently (where?) that the bluetooth hearing aids don't sync well to the dialog and often it's delayed. Kind of messes up the whole experience. (I guess you could research it online)

TVguy might be able to make some for you in his shop. Don't laugh: When he fires up a dooie and gets cranking he can whip out remarkable stuff. (He made my "ear trumpet, referred to above, from old beer cans. He has LOTS of old beer cans.  Laughing ) 

Good luck, whatever you decide, and when you do please share. I'd like to hear at least some of the wise cracks my dear spouse is muttering behind my back.
(10-22-2017, 02:57 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 02:36 PM)GPnative Wrote: My step dad has some that I know he is very happy with. I believe the VA was involved. But they are fancy, there is a wireless signal (Bluetooth?) That sends TV sound directly to the hearing aids, there is something else that connects them to his cell phone. Not that this is helpful because I don't know brand or anything, but there is some fancy tech out there that at least in his case is working.

I read recently (where?) that the bluetooth hearing aids don't sync well to the dialog and often it's delayed. Kind of messes up the whole experience. (I guess you could research it online)

TVguy might be able to make some for you in his shop. Don't laugh: When he fires up a dooie and gets cranking he can whip out remarkable stuff. (He made my "ear trumpet, referred to above, from old beer cans. He has LOTS of old beer cans.  Laughing ) 

Good luck, whatever you decide, and when you do please share. I'd like to hear at least some of the wise cracks my dear spouse is muttering behind my back.

He has LOTS of old beer cans.  Laughing )
 Hey they went from a nickle to a dime each and that means they nearly doubled in value.

That's a better return in the same amount of time as my pension. So now I take my pension money drink as much beer as possible and soon the cans will double in value again.
I know, genius. Edward Jones don't know nuthin.

Anyway another topic, Where is my liver and why is it sore?
Thanks for all the comments and input. Still not too sure what I'll do...
(10-22-2017, 05:26 PM)GCG Wrote: Thanks for all the comments and input. Still not too sure what I'll do...

As far as listening to the TV I would think you could just wear wireless bluetooth head phones.
(10-22-2017, 05:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 05:26 PM)GCG Wrote: Thanks for all the comments and input. Still not too sure what I'll do...

As far as listening to the TV I would think you could just wear wireless bluetooth head phones.

I wear wireless headphones for TV. Been doing that for years.
(10-22-2017, 05:34 PM)GCG Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 05:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I wear wireless headphones for TV. Been doing that for years.
Wow. Things just get more and more modern. Someday somebody will find a way to put a pocket watch on your wrist.