World Series Time!
On Tuesday, the 24th, The Los Angles Dodgers will host the Houston Astros in the first game of the World Series of baseball. *

And this year, those of us who like baseball will not have to watch the game being played in the winter, in rain or sleet, the players wrapped in blankets on the bench and freezing while on the field. 

The long range weather forecast (I know...no such thing) for LA is very warm summer weather. And Houston plays in a covered dome that has climate control. A summer game played in summer like conditions. Great!

Two very good teams, both won over a 100 games and both truly deserve to be in the WS. Good pitching AND good hitting. The old adage in baseball is that good pitching will ALWAYS beat good hitting. Thing is, pitchers always make at least a few mistakes and often hitters hit those mistakes a LONG way. 

Free TV, on FOX Sports. 

Tue, Oct. 24 
8:09 p.m. ET 
Houston at L.A. Dodgers 
Fox 

Wed, Oct. 25 
Houston at L.A. Dodgers 
Fox 

Fri, Oct. 27 
L.A. Dodgers at Houston
Fox 

Sat, Oct. 28 
L.A. Dodgers at Houston
Fox 

Sun, Oct. 29* 
8:16 p.m. ET 
L.A. Dodgers at Houston
Fox 

Tue, Oct. 31* 
Houston at L.A. Dodgers 
Fox 

Wed, Nov. 1* 
8:10 p.m. ET 
Houston at L.A. Dodgers 
Fox 

* We call it the "World Series". Of course it's not. It's the US baseball championship. Maybe someday it will truly be a world wide contest. Should be fun, but Japan could often be the world champions.
(10-22-2017, 04:45 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: On Tuesday, the 24th, The Los Angles Dodgers will host the Houston Astros in the first game of the World Series of baseball. *

And this year, those of us who like baseball will not have to watch the game being played in the winter, in rain or sleet, the players wrapped in blankets on the bench and freezing while on the field. 

The long range weather forecast (I know...no such thing) for LA is very warm summer weather. And Houston plays in a covered dome that has climate control. A summer game played in summer like conditions. Great!

Two very good teams, both won over a 100 games and both truly deserve to be in the WS. Good pitching AND good hitting. The old adage in baseball is that good pitching will ALWAYS beat good hitting. Thing is, pitchers always make at least a few mistakes and often hitters hit those mistakes a LONG way. 

Free TV, on FOX Sports. 

Tue, Oct. 24 
Houston at L.A. Dodgers 
Fox 

Wed, Oct. 25 
Houston at L.A. Dodgers 
Fox 

Fri, Oct. 27 
L.A. Dodgers at Houston
Fox 

Sat, Oct. 28 
L.A. Dodgers at Houston
Fox 

Sun, Oct. 29* 
L.A. Dodgers at Houston
Fox 

Tue, Oct. 31* 
Houston at L.A. Dodgers 
Fox 

Wed, Nov. 1* 
Houston at L.A. Dodgers 
Fox 

* We call it the "World Series". Of course it's not. It's the US baseball championship. Maybe someday it will truly be a world wide contest. Should be fun, but Japan could often be the world champions.

but Japan could often be the world champions.
You really think so?
(10-22-2017, 04:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 04:45 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: On Tuesday, the 24th, The Los Angles Dodgers will host the Houston Astros in the first game of the World Series of baseball. *

Free TV, on FOX Sports. 

Tue, Oct. 24 
Houston at L.A. Dodgers 
Fox 

Wed, Oct. 25 
Houston at L.A. Dodgers 
Fox 

Fri, Oct. 27 
L.A. Dodgers at Houston
Fox 

Sat, Oct. 28 
L.A. Dodgers at Houston
Fox 

Sun, Oct. 29* 
L.A. Dodgers at Houston
Fox 

Tue, Oct. 31* 
Houston at L.A. Dodgers 
Fox 

Wed, Nov. 1* 
Houston at L.A. Dodgers 
Fox 

but Japan could often be the world champions.
You really think so?
Well...
I guess I want to amend that. Japan could SOMETIMES win that contest. And even Cuba might be a tough national team. Korea has been playing baseball since the early 1900's and they have some good teams. (When I was there many years ago, the GI's would get up a team and play the ROK's and often the Koreans would win those games)

Still...I should have given that more thought. Because if we took the very best from all our teams to make up TEAM USA, it would be a very good team. 

May have rushed to judgment there.  Wink
It is always a successful year when the Yankees are eliminated.
I can even tolerate the dodgers.
(10-23-2017, 06:29 AM)bbqboy Wrote: It is always a successful year when the Yankees are eliminated.
I can even tolerate the dodgers.

Yes: I think a lot of folks feel the same way. Especially those of us old enough to remember when the "Damn Yankee's" seemed to be in the world series EVERY year.
I'm in a strange spot. I'm a Giants fan (by default...lived in SF when they arrived in 1958) but married a Dodger fan. Still, I have to root for the Dodgers because they are a National League team and gotta stay true to the league at least I guess.
Huston has a very good ball club. But, so does LA. That's why they are where they are. 

For those who don't follow baseball may I (humbly) offer a couple of things to watch for that could be fun. 

The Huston Astros have a player named Jose Altuve. He is listed at 5'6" but a lot of announcers say he may not be that tall. Proving that in baseball size doesn't matter, this man is a hitter...both in how often he hits the ball and how far he hits it. He is also a very good all around player, good defensive 2nd baseman, has speed, and runs the bases with intelligence. The team also has a highly paid pitcher they picked up in August just to be in this spot named Justin Verlander who throws so hard the ump has to guess if it's a strike  or not. 

The LA dodgers of course have maybe the best pitcher in baseball, Clayton Kershaw. And a long haired red headed 3rd baseman named Justin Turner that can flat out play all kinds of baseball. This is a well rounded team, deep in all positions and very good defensively. 

Should be fun. My guess? The Dodgers in 6 but don't put any money on it. 

But, baseball is not obligatory and boring for those who don't enjoy the game. In that case I hope the game does not preempt your favorite TV show.
Hey Wonky. I recorded game 2. My wife asked if I wanted to add a half hour in case the game went over.
I said add an hour.

Exactly 4 hours in to the the game it was the bottom of the ninth with two outs and Houston was ahead.  A dodger was at bat.
And the recording ended  Sad Confused Blink Rolling Eyes
(10-27-2017, 02:21 PM)tvguy Wrote: Hey Wonky. I recorded game 2. My wife asked if I wanted to add a half hour in case the game went over.
I said add an hour.

Exactly 4 hours in to the the game it was the bottom of the ninth with two outs and Houston was ahead.  A dodger was at bat.
As I remember it, the score was tied in the bottom of the 9th. 

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/astros-vs-do...ame=526512
(10-27-2017, 03:16 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 02:21 PM)tvguy Wrote: Hey Wonky. I recorded game 2. My wife asked if I wanted to add a half hour in case the game went over.
I said add an hour.

OK whatever I was mostly listening and I thought the Dodgers HAD to score.

Either way it was disappointing and funny at the same time.
(10-27-2017, 04:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
I said add an hour.

It was that. Like two games in one. Pitching for 6 innings, hitting the rest of the way.
(10-27-2017, 05:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
I said add an hour.

It was that. Like two games in one. Pitching for 6 innings, hitting the rest of the way.

No it was not the game that was disappointing and funny at the same time. It was my recording ending at a tie game at the bottom of the ninth.
(10-27-2017, 05:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
I said add an hour.

No it was not the game that was disappointing and funny at the same time. It was my recording ending at a tie game at the bottom of the ninth.
Our technology sometimes lets us down. 
I'm not yet comfortable with self driving cars.
But I do love my automatic storage water heater. 
I will be the last to ride in a self driving car should one become available before I croak. 
I will enjoy every day the simple act of turning a valve and having hot water. 
And when I do set my DVR to record a baseball game, I'll let it get an hour ahead and then watch the recording to skip the commercials. When the recording catches up with the game I'll watch it live and live with the commercials. 
But I won't get in a self driving car. I don't want to let the technology let me down. 

The game tonight (Saturday) may be a good one. But, it's baseball and can't be scripted because it's a very difficult game played by people who don't always get the results they want.  And THAT, is the beauty of the thing. 
Shakespeare, eat  your heart out.
(10-28-2017, 11:53 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 03:16 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: As I remember it, the score was tied in the bottom of the 9th. 

I will be the last to ride in a self driving car should one become available before I croak. 
And when I do set my DVR to record a baseball game, I'll let it get an hour ahead and then watch the recording to skip the commercials. When the recording catches up with the game I'll watch it live and live with the commercials. 
But I won't get in a self driving car. I don't want to let the technology let me down. 

The game tonight (Saturday) may be a good one. But, it's baseball and can't be scripted because it's a very difficult game played by people who don't always get the results they want.  And THAT, is the beauty of the thing. 

Baseball is difficult? Then why do little kids play it?
(10-28-2017, 12:30 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 04:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: OK whatever I was mostly listening and I thought the Dodgers HAD to score.

Now I know more about you than I once did.

Playing violin is difficult. Little kids play it. But not like Itzhak Perlman plays it.

Little kids are learning to play baseball. A 9 year old playing infield will field some 10,000 ground balls by the time he plays the last game of his senior year at Oregon State College (a good program) if he gets that far. If he is invited to play ball in professional baseball he will have repeated every act of playing the game many thousands of times. 

And yet...

That practiced and gifted player (a tiny fraction of players reach this level) will make mistakes. He prays he does not make a mistake that will cost his team a win. Some will. This game is also a difficult mental game. It does not require great intellect but it does require that the player repeat, many many times, situations so varied it's hard to list them. He must react not after consideration, but instinctively because he has faced this situation many many times before. Still, some fail to react as needed. This game is hard. 

And while it's a "team sport", the action is for the most part the efforts of individuals acting alone. The pitcher must deliver the ball precisely, but once done the batter must, alone, attempt to put the ball in play. One player will attempt to field the ball, and throw the ball to EXACTLY the right place so that another player (alone) can continue the action. It's the only popular team sport in which the defense has control of the ball. 

This game is not easy. As described above it's not easy to play. It's not easy to watch and enjoy without learning about the game, and it takes some time.

Baseball has many rules. Many are written and enforced. Others, are rules players are taught because baseball has been played for for over a hundred years and it has been proven that in a 1,000 times a certain action will most always result in the same outcome. 

In baseball, the 1st or 3rd out should never be made at 3rd base. (You have to think about it)
In baseball, when the count (balls and strikes) is 0-2, the pitcher never wants to throw the ball at a place where the hitter is likely to put it in fair play. (You have to think about it). When a pitcher has a large lead, his pitching coach gets livid if he walks a batter. (You have to think about it). 
...and so on.

It's a great game to watch. But only for those who enjoy it. It's not required and many don't enjoy it a bit. 

Is this a great country, or what!
(10-27-2017, 03:16 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: As I remember it, the score was tied in the bottom of the 9th. 

I thought you might find it humorous that 4 hours in to the game it suddenly ended leaving me in the dark.
That's all.
I sure wasn't asking for advice about recording and technology didn't let me down.
(10-28-2017, 01:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 04:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: OK whatever I was mostly listening and I thought the Dodgers HAD to score.

I thought you might find it humorous that 4 hours in to the game it suddenly ended leaving me in the dark.
That's all.
I sure wasn't asking for advice about recording and technology didn't let me down.
See, here's the thing that so often escapes you.
I wasn't giving you advice. 
I did want to comment on how I see technology effecting our lives and I took that opportunity to do it. 
You didn't see the end of the game.
It was not because you decided to not watch the end of the game.
You know...that thing about technology.  Laughing
(10-28-2017, 01:22 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 12:30 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 05:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: It was that. Like two games in one. Pitching for 6 innings, hitting the rest of the way.

Now I know more about you than I once did.

Playing violin is difficult. Little kids play it. But not like Itzhak Perlman plays it.

Little kids are learning to play baseball. A 9 year old playing infield will field some 10,000 ground balls by the time he plays the last game of his senior year at Oregon State College (a good program) if he gets that far. If he is invited to play ball in professional baseball he will have repeated every act of playing the game many thousands of times. 

And yet...

That practiced and gifted player (a tiny fraction of players reach this level) will make mistakes. He prays he does not make a mistake that will cost his team a win. Some will. This game is also a difficult mental game. It does not require great intellect but it does require that the player repeat, many many times, situations so varied it's hard to list them. He must react not after consideration, but instinctively because he has faced this situation many many times before. Still, some fail to react as needed. This game is hard. 

And while it's a "team sport", the action is for the most part the efforts of individuals acting alone. The pitcher must deliver the ball precisely, but once done the batter must, alone, attempt to put the ball in play. One player will attempt to field the ball, and throw the ball to EXACTLY the right place so that another player (alone) can continue the action. It's the only popular team sport in which the defense has control of the ball. 

This game is not easy. As described above it's not easy to play. It's not easy to watch and enjoy without learning about the game, and it takes some time.

Baseball has many rules. Many are written and enforced. Others, are rules players are taught because baseball has been played for for over a hundred years and it has been proven that in a 1,000 times a certain action will most always result in the same outcome. 

In baseball, the 1st or 3rd out should never be made at 3rd base. (You have to think about it)
In baseball, when the count (balls and strikes) is 0-2, the pitcher never wants to throw the ball at a place where the hitter is likely to put it in fair play. (You have to think about it). When a pitcher has a large lead, his pitching coach gets livid if he walks a batter. (You have to think about it). 
...and so on.

It's a great game to watch. But only for those who enjoy it. It's not required and many don't enjoy it a bit. 

Is this a great country, or what!

Yeah, I didn't bother to read all that.

But what I gather is baseball is like most other things. It ain't that hard  but you get better at it.
(10-28-2017, 02:01 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 05:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: It was that. Like two games in one. Pitching for 6 innings, hitting the rest of the way.

That's all.
I did want to comment on how I see technology effecting our lives and I took that opportunity to do it. 

You are the one who is letting things escape you.. A LOT.

It's like you are a different person. That's not a put down. It is an an opinion others here share
(10-28-2017, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 05:49 PM)tvguy Wrote: No it was not the game that was disappointing and funny at the same time. It was my recording ending at a tie game at the bottom of the ninth.

That's all.

It's like you are a different person. That's not a put down. It is an an opinion others here share

And maybe a little worried about.
(10-28-2017, 02:30 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 11:53 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Our technology sometimes lets us down. 

That's all.

And maybe a little worried about.
Thanks for your concern. 
I am troubled that you often seem to have a problem expressing yourself. 
So, I'll take some time to reflect about "the things that have escaping me". Maybe you want to make clear the comments of your posts. 
Example: I said Scrapper's food plate looked yummy.
Your reply was  Razz (meaning razz) flowed by laughing faces. 
I responded by saying I was sincere with my remark.
So...tell me what I missed.
Note to Cuzz.
You posted: Baseball is difficult? Then why do little kids play it? 
You said my response was too long to read but you took it to mean practice helps. 

So...Was that your idea of satire? Some other kind of humor? 

And things are going over MY head?