I think the Medford mayor is a moron
Mayor Gary Wheeler said. 

he doesn’t understand why local residents would want to undertake the expense of growing in a greenhouse, when marijuana is readily available.
“We’ve got plenty of dope in the valley,” he said. “The price is going down, and availability is not an issue.”

First of all when he calls marijuana "dope" it seems pretty obvious he has a problem with anyone who smokes when he used that term.

And who in the hell is he to decide that it's too expensive to have a greenhouse because "availability is not an issue.”

Availability is not an issue with Tomatoes and flowers either so by his logic I guess there is no reason to have a greenhouse at all?

And "the price is going down"??? So what? It's still relativity very expensive to buy pot compared to growing it.

Greenhouse pot may get ax in town
By Damian Mann
Mail Tribune
Medford voters decided in 2016 they didn’t want outdoor pot grows in the city, but ever since then the City Council has debated whether greenhouses are an indoor or outdoor structure.
After a Thursday night meeting, councilors appeared to be heading toward a ban on greenhouse grow sites, basically limiting pot grows to inside a house or garage, and possibly an accessory dwelling.
“My original intent with this legislation was not to have any allowable grows in any residential zone, and that means greenhouses, that means garages,” Mayor Gary Wheeler said. “I would not want one next to me.”
Wheeler said he doesn’t understand why local residents would want to undertake the expense of growing in a greenhouse, when marijuana is readily available.
“We’ve got plenty of dope in the valley,” he said. “The price is going down, and availability is not an issue.”
Since June, code enforcement officers have responded to 32 complaints of outdoor grows, including marijuana in greenhouses. Nine cases are still active.
City staff plans to bring the council some options, including one that would allow only greenhouses that are solid structures, possibly with glass but not plastic.

Medford police Sgt. Don Lane, who’s in charge of code enforcement, said building a greenhouse sometimes resolves a neighbor complaint about a marijuana grow, but sometimes his office still gets complaints.
City regulations don’t adequately define indoor or outdoor growing of marijuana, but they do allow greenhouses. As a result, code enforcement officers find it difficult to take action against greenhouse operations.
“We’ve gone out of our way to make code enforcement difficult in our city with the marijuana issue,” Councilor Dick Gordon said. “We need to make it black and white, no gray.”
Other cities in California and Oregon have developed regulations that define how a greenhouse should be constructed as well as secured.
Councilor Clay Bearnson, who has been a strong supporter of marijuana, said the council is about to make another decision based on a few dozen code enforcement calls.
“This is a crappy policy to deal with 32 complaints,” Bearnson said.
But most councilors appeared to agree with the mayor, for the most part.
“I’m not as concerned about garages,” Councilor Tim Jackle said.
Councilor Kim Wallan said the voters decided they didn’t want marijuana growing in backyards, so she thought the council was on solid ground taking action against greenhouses.
Wallan said she thought growing in a house or garage is fine, but nowhere else.
Councilor Kay Brooks said she wouldn’t be opposed to a rigid greenhouse with glass walls, also noting that many households have a finite amount of money. A greenhouse also would be more accessible to those with mobility issues, who can’t travel easily to stores, she said.
“Gardening is a good thing for seniors to engage in, as well as those with a low income,” she said.
Alcohol probably damaged his brain.
Is the word "dope" really a perjorative for weed? If someone told me that they just smoked some weed I would feel exactly the same as if they said that they just smoked some dope. In other words, I'd assume that they were stoned.
(10-30-2017, 04:17 PM)tvguy Wrote: Mayor Gary Wheeler said. 

he doesn’t understand why local residents would want to undertake the expense of growing in a greenhouse, when marijuana is readily available.

First of all when he calls marijuana "dope" it seems pretty obvious he has a problem with anyone who smokes when he used that term.

I always called MJ dope. Then a meth user told me I was wrong, MJ is not dope.  Well, it was back when I smoked it!   Laughing Laughing
(10-30-2017, 06:17 PM)Juniper Wrote: I always called MJ dope. Then a meth user told me I was wrong, MJ is not dope.  Well, it was back when I smoked it!   Laughing Laughing

I think we called it dope down there in our particular area. Maybe there was a TV commercial we got it from, something like "Don't be a dope" blah, blah, blah....
So, maybe "dope" isn't politically correct anymore? Big Grin
Dope was a common term for it back in the day.
To be "offended" by the word Dope is a little PC overboard, don't you think TVGuy?  Ya big DOPE.  Laughing
It was a label attached by the anti dope crowd.
(10-30-2017, 07:35 PM)chuck white Wrote: It was a label attached by the anti dope crowd.

I think the label the anti dope crowd uses is "criminal" and they want all users to serve at least 30 in a maximum security prison. (They also don't want us to have sex, but it we do they don't want us to enjoy it)
I don't know much about this "issue". I don't grow any but my next-door neighbor does and it does not concern me. 

I wonder if this one thing makes him a moron or if his overall behavior does that. I know he has a pretty balanced view about urban growth, but don't know lots about him otherwise.
I heard some time ago that they call it dope because it releases dopamine. Not sure how much truth there is to it... but it would make sense.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(10-30-2017, 07:57 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I don't know much about this "issue". I don't grow any but my next-door neighbor does and it does not concern me. 

I wonder if this one thing makes him a moron or if his overall behavior does that. I know he has a pretty balanced view about urban growth, but don't know lots about him otherwise.

You can always tell if they are morons, they wear that silly underwear.
[Image: 070116mitt_ann_romney_mormon_underwear.jpg?w=1400]
(10-30-2017, 10:53 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 07:57 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: I don't know much about this "issue". I don't grow any but my next-door neighbor does and it does not concern me. 

You can always tell if they are morons, they wear that silly underwear.
[Image: 070116mitt_ann_romney_mormon_underwear.jpg?w=1400]

Thanks so much, Chuck, your post continues the conversation about Medford's mayor and if he is really stupid in all areas of his leadership of he City of Medford. 
But still, even with that almost absolute proof, I have to wonder: 
I don't know the man. I've met him a couple of times at fundraising events. I gave 20 bucks, cash, so am not on his Christmas card list or invited to his BBQ's. He seemed like an okay guy and a friend of mine was backing him. So, for all I know he is an idiot. 
But, his resume looks pretty good. 
For what it's worth: 
http://www.ci.medford.or.us/Members.asp?MemberID=497
(10-30-2017, 07:39 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 07:35 PM)chuck white Wrote: It was a label attached by the anti dope crowd.

I think the label the anti dope crowd uses is "criminal" and they want all users to serve at least 30 in a maximum security prison. (They also don't want us to have sex, but it we do they don't want us to enjoy it)

I think CW is right. Everyone focused on the word "dope" but I'm fairly certain the mayor uses that term because it's his best was to denigrate pot smokers.
Of course it's common for some to say dope smokers and I've even used the term. And even when I use it I'm usually making fun of pot smokers.

y GCG - Yesterday, 05:42 PM

Is the word "dope" really a pejorative for weed?  Yes I do believe in the mayors case it is.
(10-31-2017, 01:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-30-2017, 07:39 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I think CW is right. Everyone focused on the word "dope" but I'm fairly certain the mayor uses that term because it's his best was to denigrate pot smokers.
Of course it's common for some to say dope smokers and I've even used the term. And even when I use it I'm usually making fun of pot smokers.

y GCG - Yesterday, 05:42 PM

Is the word "dope" really a pejorative for weed?  Yes I do believe in the mayors case it is.

I think we outta get the mayor a bit baked and see what he has to say about "dope" then.  Laughing
It use for pot goes way back
[Image: pope_smokes_dope.jpg]