Daylight Savings Time
DST is about to end. I don't know why they wait so long to end it. A little girl was killed out near Rogue River a couple of days ago. She was at the school bus stop and, although I can't say for sure, I'm guessing it was still pretty dark, (they found her around 730AM), when she was hit. I could go on and on about DST and retarded I think it is... but I'll just say this: We need to stop moving the clocks forward and back. Pick a standard time for each zone and stick with it already.
"We need to stop moving the clocks forward and back. Pick a standard time for each zone and stick with it already."

Yes please.
Whats wrong?? I like it.    Smiling
(11-01-2017, 05:33 PM)GCG Wrote: DST is about to end. I don't know why they wait so long to end it. A little girl was killed out near Rogue River a couple of days ago. She was at the school bus stop and, although I can't say for sure, I'm guessing it was still pretty dark, (they found her around 730AM), when she was hit. I could go on and on about DST and retarded I think it is... but I'll just say this: We need to stop moving the clocks forward and back. Pick a standard time for each zone and stick with it already.
   It's heartbreaking and the first thing that came to my mind was how did it happen. Did a vehicle veer off the road ? Maybe over the fog line but from what I've heard there was no indication it went off the pavement.
I think maybe she was not paying attention to the traffic. And if you are right and it was dark it's even harder to understand how she didn't see or hear a car or truck approaching.
I've heard that she may have been struck by a mirror or something protruding from a vehicle.

I know that when I drive the roads it's not uncommon to see kids walking on the side of the road in the same direction I'm traveling.
I'm shocked that these kids have enough trust in me and others that they don't even turn around.

My kids used to wait on the bus on that very same road. I remember watching them and they were no where near the road until the bus came.
People fly on that road.
Having said all that I'm just speculating and I feel for the parents.
(11-01-2017, 05:44 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Whats wrong?? I like it.    Smiling

So do I.
I despise DST. Pick a time and leave the damn clock alone.

Even studies show it is literally bad for your health.
(11-01-2017, 05:33 PM)GCG Wrote: DST is about to end. I don't know why they wait so long to end it. A little girl was killed out near Rogue River a couple of days ago. She was at the school bus stop and, although I can't say for sure, I'm guessing it was still pretty dark, (they found her around 730AM), when she was hit. I could go on and on about DST and retarded I think it is... but I'll just say this: We need to stop moving the clocks forward and back. Pick a standard time for each zone and stick with it already.

Yep.
(11-01-2017, 06:11 PM)GPnative Wrote: I despise DST. Pick a time and leave the damn clock alone.

Then a rotating shift must be devastating.
(11-01-2017, 05:44 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Whats wrong?? I like it.    Smiling

It's not natural. I've lived about 40% of my life without it and having to reset my body clock is a PIA. It's tough on my kids and wife too.  Laughing
(11-01-2017, 07:32 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 06:11 PM)GPnative Wrote: I despise DST. Pick a time and leave the damn clock alone.

Yes it is. 

Long-Term Health Effects of Shift Work
  • Cardiovascular disease. ...
  • Diabetes and metabolic syndrome. ...
  • Obesity. ...
  • Depression and Mood Disorders. ...
  • Serious Gastrointestinal Problems. ...
  • Problems with Fertility and Pregnancy. ...
  • Cancer.

Tell me about it. Worked a rotating shift in an operations office (24/7, 365). Five weeks of days, 8AM-5PM,  7 days of 3PM -11PM, 7 days of 7AM-3PM, 7 days of 11PM-7AM and start all over again. 
The strange thing: We hated those five weeks of the day shift. BORING. 
Go figure, cause the damn shifts killed us. I'm one of the few who lived to be 80 years, and several died in their 60's not long after retirement. 
And the real shame!...I gave up the best job on the west coast (Troubleman) to take the stinking job. (Worked in the field 15 years).

Wow. To much info. Sorry.  Embarrassed
(11-01-2017, 07:37 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Yes it is. 

• Obesity. ...
  • Cancer.

Yeah, I knew that. I worked some swing shift and rotating shifts for a number of years. It had it's pluses too but overall I was glad to finally get back to a day shift. Daytime hours and four tens was my favorite.

Yes it is. 

• Obesity. ...
  • Cancer.

Yeah, just kill me now.
(11-01-2017, 07:50 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yes it is. 

• Obesity. ...
  • Cancer.

Yeah, just kill me now.
Well, like they say: Cheer up, things could be worse.
So you cheer up.
And things get worse.  Sad 

But the pendulum swing as the pendulum do, so wait it out. Better things are coming. Soon, I hope.
(11-01-2017, 07:43 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Tell me about it. Worked a rotating shift in an operations office (24/7, 365). Five weeks of days, 8AM-5PM,  7 days of 3PM -11PM, 7 days of 7AM-3PM, 7 days of 11PM-7AM and start all over again. 
Go figure, cause the damn shifts killed us. I'm one of the few who lived to be 80 years, and several died in their 60's not long after retirement. 
And the real shame!...I gave up the best job on the west coast (Troubleman) to take the stinking job. (Worked in the field 15 years).

I know what you mean. I worked 7 days 1300-2130, then 2 off, 8 days 0500-1330, then 4 days off, no holidays, wash repeat. Loved the 4 days off every three weeks but that last 0500-1330 shift was always hard to get up for. I transitioned from that to 4 10's daytime. I liked that much better!

Glad you thought you had the best job on the west coast. You're wrong, of course, mine is the best! But I won't argue about it.   Big Grin
(11-01-2017, 07:58 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I know what you mean. I worked 7 days 1300-2130, then 2 off, 8 days 0500-1330, then 4 days off, no holidays, wash repeat. Loved the 4 days off every three weeks but that last 0500-1330 shift was always hard to get up for. I transitioned from that to 4 10's daytime. I liked that much better!

Glad you thought you had the best job on the west coast. You're wrong, of course, mine is the best! But I won't argue about it.   Big Grin

I worked the last 15 years before moving to Oregon with a 5am start. Not easy, but better than rotating.
(11-01-2017, 08:12 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 07:58 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I worked the last 15 years before moving to Oregon with a 5am start. Not easy, but better than rotating.

I'll take your word for it. I'm NOT a morning person! 5AM probably means you have to get up before 4:50AM?  Laughing
No thanks.
Setting the clock back doesn't bother me, but setting the date back does.

Just yesterday it was the 31st, now BAM, this morning they set it back to 1 again.
(11-01-2017, 09:04 PM)chuck white Wrote: Setting the clock back doesn't bother me, but setting the date back does.

Just yesterday it was the 31st, now BAM, this morning they set it back to 1 again.

Yeah. It took me two days to fly home from Korea. Got her the same date.  Surprised
(11-01-2017, 09:19 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 09:04 PM)chuck white Wrote: Setting the clock back doesn't bother me, but setting the date back does.

Yeah. It took me two days to fly home from Korea. Got her the same date.  Surprised

That's nothing, I had the same date for ten years, then my wife found out.