The "Homeless"
(11-02-2017, 07:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, Wonky, let me tell you MY situation, I'm that close to being on the streets myself. I've lived in the same house for 25 years. I rent. And I don't make tons of money. I talked to a financial advisor a few  years back, and the advice I was given, was that, given my age and situation, renting was a better option for me than trying to buy,  because of maintenance and repairs and upkeep and it's just me and I have no help. Fine. I keep renting.  Last week, I was given a $500 dollar a month rent increase.  What the hell! How am I supposed to do that? I can't. There's nothing cheaper. There's nothing period.  So...what's to become of me?  Hell if I know.  But if I can't do it, I can't imagine how others can do it with less. It's a very wicked thing going on
Tia, I wish I had an answer for you. I don't. "The market" is, what it is. For some of us we have been able to prepare and our life experiences have allowed us to deal with the reality of this. 
Others, for whatever reasons have not been able to earn the necessary wealth to compete in this market. It seems you have had the misfortune of being among that group unable to compete. 
Maybe the solution is for subsidizes for those who, like you, find yourself out priced in this goofy housing market. 
Again, I have no answer that might be of help for you. I think it's tragic and troubling, but it's a fact. 
I wish you the best. 
Get something on the ballot to provide help...I'll pay the tax increase.
(11-02-2017, 07:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, Wonky, let me tell you MY situation, I'm that close to being on the streets myself. I've lived in the same house for 25 years. I rent. And I don't make tons of money. I talked to a financial advisor a few  years back, and the advice I was given, was that, given my age and situation, renting was a better option for me than trying to buy,  because of maintenance and repairs and upkeep and it's just me and I have no help. Fine. I keep renting.  Last week, I was given a $500 dollar a month rent increase.  What the hell! How am I supposed to do that? I can't. There's nothing cheaper. There's nothing period.  So...what's to become of me?  Hell if I know.  But if I can't do it, I can't imagine how others can do it with less. It's a very wicked thing going on

Shit, oh dear! That really does suck.

I'd heard it was getting bad but I didn't know it was that bad. $500 a month is a lot.
(11-02-2017, 07:57 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
Tia, I wish I had an answer for you. I don't. "The market" is, what it is. For some of us we have been able to prepare and our life experiences have allowed us to deal with the reality of this. 
Others, for whatever reasons have not been able to earn the necessary wealth to compete in this market. It seems you have had the misfortune of being among that group unable to compete. 
Maybe the solution is for subsidizes for those who, like you, find yourself out priced in this goofy housing market. 
Again, I have no answer that might be of help for you. I think it's tragic and troubling, but it's a fact. 
I wish you the best. 

Right. That's my priority. Neutral  Not sure if you were telling me to do that...but, that's my expression IF it was.
(11-02-2017, 08:00 PM)Juniper Wrote:
I wish you the best. 

Right. That's my priority. Neutral  Not sure if you were telling me to do that...but, that's my expression IF it was.
Sorry...I'm not clear about your response. Telling you to do what? Get something on the ballot? I'm not sure about other solutions. But again, maybe I did not understand your point.
(11-02-2017, 08:03 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 08:00 PM)Juniper Wrote:
I wish you the best. 

Sorry...I'm not clear about your response. Telling you to do what? Get something on the ballot? I'm not sure about other solutions. But again, maybe I did not understand your point.

OK.
Was your rent price that far under the current market? $500 increase to a tenant of 25 years seems unbelievable. 

White City?

https://medford.craigslist.org/apa/d/hou...76047.html
(11-02-2017, 08:11 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Was your rent price that far under the current market? $500 increase to a tenant of 25 years seems unbelievable. 

White City?

Well, it currently is under the current market, but it wasn't..not until this market changed and the rent gouging started.
(11-02-2017, 08:17 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 08:11 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Was your rent price that far under the current market? $500 increase to a tenant of 25 years seems unbelievable. 

White City?

Well, it currently is under the current market, but it wasn't..not until this market changed and the rent gouging started.

The WC house would be almost $2,000 up this way. It's all relative. Is there anyway to negotiate with your landlord? Is it the same owner for all 25 years? $500 seems just so heartless.  Sad
(11-02-2017, 08:24 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 08:17 PM)Juniper Wrote:

White City?

The WC house would be almost $2,000 up this way. It's all relative. Is there anyway to negotiate with your landlord? Is it the same owner for all 25 years? $500 seems just so heartless.  Sad

Actually I think the original owner is dead. He liked me and kept me when he sold all his other properties in the valley. Since then, this is my 3rd property manager.  Don't know who owns it now.
My point is, I'm not the only person out there caught wrong footed. Current wages don't match the cost of living increases. I've seen this before and usually it kind of evens out, but this is the worst I've ever seen. It's literally putting working people on the street.
(11-02-2017, 08:36 PM)Juniper Wrote: My point is, I'm not the only person out there caught wrong footed. Current wages don't match the cost of living increases.  I've seen this before and usually it kind of evens out, but this is the worst I've ever seen. It's literally putting working people on the street.

I totally agree. Our rent was $850 for a 3 + 2  house in GP. We moved up here into a 3 + 2 apt at $950 that went up to almost $1600 in five years with no sign of slowing. All the long term residents of the apts were moving out to smaller, older apts and in one case a motel.  Sad
(11-02-2017, 06:39 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 06:36 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 06:33 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 06:20 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 06:07 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Good points...so much I don't know about this stuff. I wish we could afford to tax ourselves to provide SOME kind of shelter. If for no other reason so we would not have to deal with their antisocial behavior in our parks and other public places.

Well, it's a double edged sword, isn't it. "Better" is a draw.  I've been told, by homeless that Central Point is much harder to live in.
Maybe a "multi-edged" sword. What I don't know about this problem is about everything. I react to the little bit I'm exposed to, but admit I know nothing of all the underlying causes. Still, I have to suspect there are folks on the streets who simply find it "easier" than doing what it takes to find some kind of work. But I guess the key word in my sentence is "suspect". I was so lucky to come of age in the day when anybody who really wanted to work could find a job that provided at least the basic needs.
Of course there are. Multi edged is right.

In a better world we would be able to care for "the least among us".  Sad

A friend and neighbor of mine who lives in a travel trailer was evicted. I have mentioned him before.
I took him to the mission. He stayed there for free for months until he was able to get disability money.
Now he has a room he rents.
The entire time he lived near me he got food stamps EVER single month. He never even tried to get a job.
He still gets food stamps and when he was homeless he was taken care of.

So Really? "In a better world we would be able to care for "the least among us".

We sure as hell took care of him.

I talked to a financial advisor a few  years back, and the advice I was given

Was horrible.

White City?

Then she could shop at the new Grocery Outlet.
(11-03-2017, 12:28 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Was horrible.

Not necessarily if it was pre real estate bubble burst. If that were the case it was great advice.
(11-03-2017, 05:56 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Was horrible.

Not necessarily if it was pre real estate bubble burst. If that were the case it was great advice.
SO many factors we may not know and so many to consider.
If the rent had been around fair market value, then a 500 dollar bump seems unreasonable (Unless the rent had been $5,000. a month...doubt it). On the other hand if the landlord had been providing rent for a prolonged period at a reduced price in an attempt to "help out", then it's understandable that with a change of ownership the rent would go back to "fair market value". 
But it begs the question about basic fairness in housing as compared to common wage standards. Landlords are due a return on investment. If they buy income property during a "boom" period they have little options but to charge rent that gives them that return.
Leaving one option to consider: As a society is it our responsibility to attempt to see that working people of moderate means have access to adequate housing? We have agencies like HUD, and others, in place that could administer these programs.
The question: Are we prepared to pay higher taxes to support programs like these.

One last thing...touchy and difficult to even bring up. We all have made decisions, some good, some not so good, and some bad during our adult lives. Suppose someone (NOT Tia) has made a rash of bad decisions and now face a housing problem. Are we obligated to "help out". Even more troublesome: What if a person has made all good life decisions but is hit with just plain bad luck (illness, for instance): isn't that a different consideration we have to ponder? 

Not easy this stuff. 

I feel so blessed that even having made some poor decisions in my life, I have been able to avoid this kind of struggle. "There but for the grace of God..."

Was horrible.

Yeah?  I guess so.

Was horrible.

(11-03-2017, 10:45 AM)Juniper Wrote:

Was horrible.

Ok, was not the greatest of advice then. I believe that is when the market was at or near the low point, so if one had the $, financing and ability, it would of been a good time to get back in the market. However, it does have its drawbacks such as no land lord to call when shit goes wrong. Renting is a great option for a lot of people, however now that this rental housing crunch/bubble craziness is going on, folks like you are in a tough spot, a very tough spot.
(11-02-2017, 07:52 PM)GPnative Wrote:

That really sucks. We were very fortunate in our renting days that we had super kind landlords. I rented one place for 12 years and he never increased the rent. On the flip side, we left the place better than it was when we moved in, he appreciated us as much as we appreciated him. I wish more landlords were like that.

Landlords wish more TENANTS were like that, as well.