The "Homeless"
(11-02-2017, 07:28 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:20 PM)bbqboy Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:13 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:12 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:06 PM)bbqboy Wrote: There's no housing.

See Barbie, We KNOW that. What we don't know is how to provide the necessary housing. Can we put you in a dormitory someplace, feed you oatmeal and raisins, and take whatever income you have to house the folks who need it? Knowing the problem is the easy part.

Actually there is hardly any housing for those who have means to pay. And it's being outpriced.
Again I'm being slagged by Wonky. I'm not homeless so your whole condescending tone is misplaced.
There literally is no rental stock. The vacancy rate is minuscule.

Exactly. And the rents are skyrocketing. It's rent gouging and apparently it's just ok?
Lets see here, high tents and a housing shortage??? The greedy developers must be making tons of money!!! ( like me) some of you on the left are so stupid on economic issues. I quit building apartments years ago in this area!!! Why?? No money!!! Low wages and the high cost of building equals no housing!!! Can you put two and two together on this issue??? Housing will solve itself only when it becomes profitable to build hence the rising rents. "Cheaper" rents are only possible with higher wages( not going to happen with the push to make this a tourist/ servive economy here which equals low wages) or lower cost of building which is very high, high cost of land ( due to Oregon's outrages land use laws and the very high cost of permits,sdc, regulations,red tape etc!!!) The skyrocketing rents you see now is the markets reaction to no housing available for the above reasons and will be nessary to get us to build housing so we can make money. If huge sums of.money are being made eventually housing will overbuild and rents will fall. ( "easy" money always attracts!!!! Look at the pot grower thing if confused) If rents are so high and there is so much money being made with high rents why arne you and many others not in the rental market??? Do yourself a favor and price out building say a duplex and list out the huge "profits" being made !! Simple math why don't you educate yourself on this subject and see what is really going on......

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Move!!! Go to a area with better economic opportunity!!! You have no one to blame but yourself for your poor choices!! The majority of poor are poor due to poor choices!!! Unless you are handicapped you have done it to yourself!!!

(11-02-2017, 07:52 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 07:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, Wonky, let me tell you MY situation, I'm that close to being on the streets myself. I've lived in the same house for 25 years. I rent. And I don't make tons of money. I talked to a financial advisor a few  years back, and the advice I was given, was that, given my age and situation, renting was a better option for me than trying to buy,  because of maintenance and repairs and upkeep and it's just me and I have no help. Fine. I keep renting.  Last week, I was given a $500 dollar a month rent increase.  What the hell! How am I supposed to do that? I can't. There's nothing cheaper. There's nothing period.  So...what's to become of me?  Hell if I know.  But if I can't do it, I can't imagine how others can do it with less. It's a very wicked thing going on

That really sucks. We were very fortunate in our renting days that we had super kind landlords. I rented one place for 12 years and he never increased the rent. On the flip side, we left the place better than it was when we moved in, he appreciated us as much as we appreciated him. I wish more landlords were like that.
And nothing went up in twelve years??? Do you expect the landlords to absorb rising costs??? Most renters do not leave the place in better shape and neither did you!! Some things Always!!! Deteriorate no matter how well taken care of.. roof, hvac, carpets, the list is endless.... Clueless you are!!!

(11-02-2017, 07:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, Wonky, let me tell you MY situation, I'm that close to being on the streets myself. I've lived in the same house for 25 years. I rent. And I don't make tons of money. I talked to a financial advisor a few  years back, and the advice I was given, was that, given my age and situation, renting was a better option for me than trying to buy,  because of maintenance and repairs and upkeep and it's just me and I have no help. Fine. I keep renting.  Last week, I was given a $500 dollar a month rent increase.  What the hell! How am I supposed to do that? I can't. There's nothing cheaper. There's nothing period.  So...what's to become of me?  Hell if I know.  But if I can't do it, I can't imagine how others can do it with less. It's a very wicked thing going on

Wowza!  That seriously sucks!   Sad
(11-02-2017, 08:26 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 08:24 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 08:17 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 08:11 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Was your rent price that far under the current market? $500 increase to a tenant of 25 years seems unbelievable. 

White City?

https://medford.craigslist.org/apa/d/hou...76047.html

Well, it currently is under the current market, but it wasn't..not until this market changed and the rent gouging started.

The WC house would be almost $2,000 up this way. It's all relative. Is there anyway to negotiate with your landlord? Is it the same owner for all 25 years? $500 seems just so heartless.  Sad

Actually I think the original owner is dead. He liked me and kept me when he sold all his other properties in the valley. Since then, this is my 3rd property manager.  Don't know who owns it now.

A Property Manager is involved... therein lies the problem!
(11-02-2017, 07:57 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
Tia, I wish I had an answer for you. I don't. "The market" is, what it is. For some of us we have been able to prepare and our life experiences have allowed us to deal with the reality of this. 
Others, for whatever reasons have not been able to earn the necessary wealth to compete in this market. It seems you have had the misfortune of being among that group unable to compete. 
Maybe the solution is for subsidizes for those who, like you, find yourself out priced in this goofy housing market. 
Again, I have no answer that might be of help for you. I think it's tragic and troubling, but it's a fact. 
I wish you the best. 
Get something on the ballot to provide help...I'll pay the tax increase.
There is nothing goofy about this market!!! Simple economics at play!!! Again some of you are clueless about money no wonder you find yourself in your economic position! Yea !! Subsidize everything( take from the producers) so all can be poor and miserable like the lazy!!!!

(11-02-2017, 08:17 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 08:11 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Was your rent price that far under the current market? $500 increase to a tenant of 25 years seems unbelievable. 

White City?

https://medford.craigslist.org/apa/d/hou...76047.html

Well, it currently is under the current market, but it wasn't..not until this market changed and the rent gouging started.
Go build your own housing as you say there is so much money being made....

(11-02-2017, 08:47 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 08:36 PM)Juniper Wrote: My point is, I'm not the only person out there caught wrong footed. Current wages don't match the cost of living increases.  I've seen this before and usually it kind of evens out, but this is the worst I've ever seen. It's literally putting working people on the street.

I totally agree. Our rent was $850 for a 3 + 2  house in GP. We moved up here into a 3 + 2 apt at $950 that went up to almost $1600 in five years with no sign of slowing. All the long term residents of the apts were moving out to smaller, older apts and in one case a motel.  Sad
Lots of " money" to be made!! Why are you not building for profit??? Clueless you are.....

(11-03-2017, 12:24 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 06:39 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 06:36 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 06:33 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 06:20 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, it's a double edged sword, isn't it. "Better" is a draw.  I've been told, by homeless that Central Point is much harder to live in.
Maybe a "multi-edged" sword. What I don't know about this problem is about everything. I react to the little bit I'm exposed to, but admit I know nothing of all the underlying causes. Still, I have to suspect there are folks on the streets who simply find it "easier" than doing what it takes to find some kind of work. But I guess the key word in my sentence is "suspect". I was so lucky to come of age in the day when anybody who really wanted to work could find a job that provided at least the basic needs.
Of course there are. Multi edged is right.

In a better world we would be able to care for "the least among us".  Sad

A friend and neighbor of mine who lives in a travel trailer was evicted. I have mentioned him before.
I took him to the mission. He stayed there for free for months until he was able to get disability money.
Now he has a room he rents.
The entire time he lived near me he got food stamps EVER single month. He never even tried to get a job.
He still gets food stamps and when he was homeless he was taken care of.

So Really? "In a better world we would be able to care for "the least among us".

We sure as hell took care of him.
We don't agree on much!!- but we agree in this. There are many in this valley..

Hey CP, are you Ron DeLuca?
Sorry don't know who that is.... I own storage, commercial,apartments,heavy equipment,fire suppression,water,soil, rock, etc delivery and more... If that helps great. Also building right now and I can assure you it's not rentals as far as housing... I know where to put money and its not there.... and to any that think rent control, public housing etc is the answer... Not!! You will only attract mostly miserable lazy people... the country is full of these projects and they all end up the same... A blight on the land. Cheers I'm off to play in the shop with a hot rod and other toys.... One can start with zero in life and do very well... to you whiners here complaining, if you have enough time to sit here on one's ass complaining, you have time to better ones life. Try it!! It works...

You sound like Ron DeLuca.
When my kids were going to Oregon State University there was a big stink about town (Corvallis) regarding the "Red Door Slumlord"... he painted the front door of each of his rentals red.  He would buy properties in disrepair at auction and then get them rented ASAP even if they weren't up to code (some issues being blatant health/safety issues).  He would take the rent, but wouldn't make his payments.  He always had numerous rentals in the valley that were in pre-foreclosure, foreclosure... all the while still collecting rent payments.  Almost all had code issues of some sort going on with the city/county code enforcement.  

Red Door Slumlord

I have a feeling that CP is the Red Door Slumlord of Southern Oregon.  Eyebrows
Lol googled his name... Sorry I'm not a ashland boy!! Do you think I sound like ashland would be my town?? Lol when I was poor and young the wife and I would take a trip to ashland to (along with other things) and enjoy the free freak show know as Lithia park. Sit on a park bench there on a nice day and one can get a good laugh watching the clueless freaks walk by.....yea that one with the tatoo on her forehead is going places.........

Lol. Whatever helps to feed your fantasy world that you live in.... Sure what you describe is the norm...... ( feel better now??) I don't put you as clueless... Stupid and clueless matches much better.. Cheers

How many of you here own/ build housing???? Maybe we should switch subjects to say heart surgery and you can lend your words of " wisdom" to some heart surgeon....

And for every "poor" landlord I could give you a 1000 " poor" tenants. You dumb cluck!! Lol. And your point is??? All tenants are good and all landlords are bad??? You are the typical liberal talking out ones behind..... what you stated has nothing to do with the high cost of housing.. Whatever you paid that college economic class I can assure you were screwed as you have no idea how markets work...

We are seeing the "'love" of liberals at work here. Make someone provide affordable housing so I can feel better about myself!!!!!!! ( rent control, hud, subsided etc) write the check to juniper youself you big hypocrites!!!!! You advocate stealing from others to make yourself feel better !!!! get out of my way and I would be happy to build housing that I can make money at and provide affordable housing to others. ( Oregon's land use laws and outrages rules,sdc, red tape etc) again write the check to juniper you big hypocrites!!!! Or shut your pie hole if you are not willing to step up.yourself......

(11-04-2017, 10:06 AM)capitalist pig Wrote: We are seeing the "'love" of liberals at work here.  Make someone provide affordable housing so I can feel better about myself!!!!!!! ( rent control, hud, subsided etc)   write the check to juniper youself you big hypocrites!!!!! You advocate stealing from others to make yourself feel better !!!! get out of my way and I would be happy to build housing that I can make money at and provide affordable housing to others.  (  Oregon's land use laws and outrages rules,sdc, red tape etc)  again write the check to juniper you big hypocrites!!!!  Or shut your pie hole if you are not willing to step up.yourself......

Well, I guess.   The thing, is,  CP, I work. I don't get food stamps, I don't get HUD, I save my money, I drive a used car and I try to live below my means.  It's just that when the market swings like this, it makes it tough to be self sustaining.  I'm not asking for anything by the way. I never have in this thread.
(11-04-2017, 10:14 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-04-2017, 10:06 AM)capitalist pig Wrote: We are seeing the "'love" of liberals at work here.  Make someone provide affordable housing so I can feel better about myself!!!!!!! ( rent control, hud, subsided etc)   write the check to juniper youself you big hypocrites!!!!! You advocate stealing from others to make yourself feel better !!!! get out of my way and I would be happy to build housing that I can make money at and provide affordable housing to others.  (  Oregon's land use laws and outrages rules,sdc, red tape etc)  again write the check to juniper you big hypocrites!!!!  Or shut your pie hole if you are not willing to step up.yourself......

Well, I guess.   The thing, is,  CP, I work. I don't get food stamps, I don't get HUD, I save my money, I drive a used car and I try to live below my means.  It's just that when the market swings like this, it makes it tough to be self sustaining.  I'm not asking for anything by the way. I never have in this thread.
Very good, but the left does advocate what I stated!!! You can read it here!!! Do you understand what market forces brought us to todays issue??? Do you??