Hanging Drapes on Drywall
What type fasteners do you prefer? This is what was used on another curtain rod that came with the house.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

This is what the rod holder looks like.

[Image: 1915-16.jpg]

I think I've use this type once before.

[Image: XSGn9.jpg]

Thanks for any help as I want to get it done right the first time.  Big Grin
(11-02-2017, 03:54 PM)Valuesize Wrote: What type fasteners do you prefer? This is what was used on another curtain rod that came with the house.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

This is what the rod holder looks like.

[Image: 1915-16.jpg]

I think I've use this type once before.

[Image: XSGn9.jpg]

Thanks for any help as I want to get it done right the first time.  Big Grin

That outta work. The secret (IMHO) is getting the hole for the plastic insert the right size. You want to have to gently pound it into the drill hole. You might even consider a test hole in a piece of wallboard if you any laying around. But yes, these plastic anchors can be very strong when installed correctly. (And of course you must make sure the screw and the plastic anchor are a good match if they didn't come paired up) 
Good luck. 
And why hang drapes? What...you don't have any old sheets and some 10 penny nails?
I think I may have gotten lucky, there are studs right where I plan to put the hardware. That means I can use these right?

[Image: res683427_fit_500x0_0.jpg]
Most typical sliding glass doors or windows should have studs on either side and a header above. I'm not sure why you'd need drywall anchors for drapes. That screw is a drywall screw. It will work. But so will many other types of screws.

Check out this diagram:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2001/03/...ramed-wall
(11-02-2017, 04:09 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: That outta work. The secret (IMHO) is getting the hole for the plastic insert the right size. You want to have to gently pound it into the drill hole. You might even consider a test hole in a piece of wallboard if you any laying around. But yes, these plastic anchors can be very strong when installed correctly. (And of course you must make sure the screw and the plastic anchor are a good match if they didn't come paired up) 
Good luck. 
And why hang drapes? What...you don't have any old sheets and some 10 penny nails?

Thanks.

I WAS planning on stapling all my old thermal undies together and just stickum to the glass. (purdy sure they'd stick) My wife was none to fond that ideer though...
(11-02-2017, 04:18 PM)GCG Wrote: Most typical sliding glass doors or windows should have studs on either side and a header above. I'm not sure why you'd need drywall anchors for drapes. That screw is a drywall screw. It will work. But so will many other types of screws.

Yep. BUT...the brackets pictured looked pretty hefty. If you are drilling directly into studs, and if you are using big screws, make sure the pilot hole is the right size. Use and extra screw or two and test on a scrap piece of 2X4.
(11-02-2017, 04:18 PM)GCG Wrote: Most typical sliding glass doors or windows should have studs on either side and a header above. I'm not sure why you'd need drywall anchors for drapes. That screw is a drywall screw. It will work. But so will many other types of screws.

Check out this diagram:

Great. I borrowed my neighbors stud finder to verify my tapping on the wall and yes it's all framed in properly. So any screw is ok then? I have the drywall screws on hand so I'll use those because they are the perfect length.

The master bedroom window (where I replaced the curtains with blinds) doesn't seem to have a header. It may have to do with this other window above the regular one.

[Image: 20171102_162950.jpg]

Check out this diagram:

Yeah what he said. But if and when you ever do need to mount something on sheet rock don't EVER use those plastic things like the blue or white ones.|
Unless you plan on hanging something very light like a picture.

I use toggle bolts.. 3/16"  

[Image: 21200-21202-21206-21207-21208-21212.jpg]
(11-02-2017, 04:37 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Check out this diagram:

Great. I borrowed my neighbors stud finder to verify my tapping on the wall and yes it's all framed in properly. So any screw is ok then? I have the drywall screws on hand so I'll use those because they are the perfect length.

The master bedroom window (where I replaced the curtains with blinds) doesn't seem to have a header. It may have to do with this other window above the regular one.

[Image: 20171102_162950.jpg]

Deck screws would be better but drywall screws are probably OK. Drywall screws are cheap and brittle and might snap off if you aren't careful. Especially if you happen to run in to a knot in the wood stud.
(11-02-2017, 04:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Check out this diagram:

Yeah what he said. But if and when you ever do need to mount something on sheet rock don't EVER use those plastic things like the blue or white ones.|

I like 'em. Strong. But, depending on the size of the bracket holes, he may not be able to use toggle bolts big enough to support the drapes. (The toggle has to fit though the bracket hole). I've had pretty good luck with plastic inserts ...the trick is you MUST get really good surface tension by snugging the screw up very close to the wall board. (Still, I agree...when possible to use toggle bolts they are best) 

I guess it's academic: He can screw directly into wood.
(11-02-2017, 04:38 PM)tvguy Wrote: Yeah what he said. But if and when you ever do need to mount something on sheet rock don't EVER use those plastic things like the blue or white ones.|

OK. I think maybe the renters that lived here for about a year used those not knowing any better. They used four rod holders with those plastic things on the 10' window.  Big Grin
(11-02-2017, 04:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: Deck screws would be better but drywall screws are probably OK. Drywall screws are cheap and brittle and might snap off if you aren't careful. Especially if you happen to run in to a knot in the wood stud.

Ok, I think I have some deck screws also.
(11-02-2017, 04:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-02-2017, 04:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Check out this diagram:

I like 'em. Strong. But, depending on the size of the bracket holes, he may not be able to use toggle bolts big enough to support the drapes. (The toggle has to fit though the bracket hole). I've had pretty good luck with plastic inserts ...the trick is you MUST get really good surface tension by snugging the screw up very close to the wall board. (Still, I agree...when possible to use toggle bolts they are best) 

I guess it's academic: He can screw directly into wood.

Yep it's moot point by now. But I think a 3/16 bolt would have fit through the holes in the bracket and If I had to I would drill the holes out bigger.

Actually all of us electricians carrird those anchors that screw in our trucks. 
These Very easy to use and very strong. You can buy them in aluminum which is the kind I like.

The picture of the Blue plastic anchor VS posted is what we used for running a screw in to concrete.

These are what I mean.... They are supposed to hold 50 pounds.[Image: ITN_29503.jpg]