Need Water Heater Solution
(11-03-2017, 01:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 12:57 PM)tvguy Wrote: Why are electric water heaters not an option?

Your guy was "reluctant" to cram in a gas heater. I assume because of fire risk. Well an electric WH won't be a fire risk.
And all you would need is a new circuit from the panel.

Find one that is 16" or less wide. 
(And I have natural gas at the house...a bit more efficient than electric)

And no, not because of fire risk. The OPENING is 16" wide. 18" inside the closet but REALLY difficult to get a 18" opening. (Would take too long to explain)

OK I assumed you found a gas WH that could be crammed in to the space. And you said your guy was reluctant to install it.
OK if not because of fire danger than why the reluctance?

And I have natural gas at the house...a bit more efficient than electric)

That's a common mistake. Your gas WH probably costs you less than an electric but it's not more "efficient"

Electric WH's are the most efficient because they don't waste any of the energy you pay for. Where as a gas WH has some heat loss going out the exhaust. Big Grin
(11-03-2017, 01:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 12:57 PM)tvguy Wrote: Why are electric water heaters not an option?

Your guy was "reluctant" to cram in a gas heater. I assume because of fire risk. Well an electric WH won't be a fire risk.

And no, not because of fire risk. The OPENING is 16" wide. 18" inside the closet but REALLY difficult to get a 18" opening. (Would take too long to explain)

OK I assumed you found a gas WH that could be crammed in to the space. And you said your guy was reluctant to install it.

That's a common mistake. Your gas WH probably costs you less than an electric but it's not more "efficient"

Electric WH's are the most efficient because they don't waste any of the energy you pay for. Where as a gas WH has some heat loss going out the exhaust. Big Grin
Gas vs. electric hot water heaters
For the most part, the choice boils down to understanding gas vs. electric water heater operating costs. Michael Bluejay, aka “Mr. Electricity,” has spent his career analyzing energy use, including hot water heater energy savings and the differences between gas vs. electric water heaters.
In a gas vs. electric water heater operating cost analysis, he says, gas is almost always cheaper than electric. Bluejay says gas water heaters typically cost about $30 a month to run, while electric water heaters run closer to $42 a month, depending on utility rates, of course. This analysis of gas vs. electric water heater operating costs is based partially on the fact that natural gas is typically less expensive than electricity, and assumes that you already have access to natural gas in your home. Having to put in a natural gas line would add expense and mean that it would take much longer to realize any potential hot water heater energy savings.
(11-03-2017, 01:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

For the most part, the choice boils down to understanding gas vs. electric water heater operating costs. Michael Bluejay, aka “Mr. Electricity,” has spent his career analyzing energy use, including hot water heater energy savings and the differences between gas vs. electric water heaters.
In a gas vs. electric water heater operating cost analysis, he says, gas is almost always cheaper than electric. Bluejay says gas water heaters typically cost about $30 a month to run, while electric water heaters run closer to $42 a month, depending on utility rates, of course. This analysis of gas vs. electric water heater operating costs is based partially on the fact that natural gas is typically less expensive than electricity, and assumes that you already have access to natural gas in your home. Having to put in a natural gas line would add expense and mean that it would take much longer to realize any potential hot water heater energy savings.

I said "Your gas WH probably costs you less than an electric"

I was trying to explain why that does not mean it's more efficient. Big Grin It's cheaper but not more efficient.
Trust me PP&L has been telling people electricity is more efficient than natural gas for years.
Because they know people will assume that means electricity is cheaper.

efficiency

the state or quality of being efficient, or able to accomplish something with the least waste of time and effort; competency in performance.

That analysis leaves out the all important cost of electricity vs gas. East coast costs would be different then west coast, generally.
(11-03-2017, 01:59 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

That analysis leaves out the all important cost of electricity vs gas. East coast costs would be different then west coast, generally.
But we live on THE WEST COAST.

TV, use all the definitions you want to make a point that is beside the point. In the Rogue Valley if you have a gas line to your house it will cost less to heat water with gas than electric. 
That's worth SOMETHING.
(11-03-2017, 02:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 01:08 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Find one that is 16" or less wide. 

TV, use all the definitions you want to make a point that is beside the point. In the Rogue Valley if you have a gas line to your house it will cost less to heat water with gas than electric. 
That's worth SOMETHING.

You were incorrect Wonky. It's as simple as that. I thought you were all about learning? I explained exactly what efficiency meant and you went and Googled something to prove gas is cheaper to heat water than electricity.
Something I already said.
And now you repeat the same thing.

Is it that hard to simply say or understand efficient was the wrong word?

Very true. We are lucky that we pay less for our electric power so the 42 dollar figure would be less.
Also Wonky says he can get by with a small water heater so he is not a typical user who pays the 42 bucks.

So that 12 dollar saving a month has shrunk to?? something less. So the advantage of having gas has to be less than the above figure states. And if it's not really such a savings and and electric heater solves the installation issues then who cares about what must be less than ten bucks a month?
(11-03-2017, 02:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 02:06 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 01:40 PM)tvguy Wrote: OK I assumed you found a gas WH that could be crammed in to the space. And you said your guy was reluctant to install it.

That's worth SOMETHING.

You were incorrect Wonky. It's as simple as that. I thought you were all about learning? I explained exactly what efficiency meant and you went and Googled something to prove gas is cheaper to heat water than electricity.
Something I already said.
And now you repeat the same thing.

Is it that hard to simply say or understand efficient was the wrong word?
Okay. Efficient was the wrong word. 
I didn't have my thesaurus handy. 
Whatever: For most of us we are talking about our hard earned money. If I spend less to heat water using gas I feel I'm being more efficient. I now understand all I'm doing is saving a little bit of money. 
I'll try to be more exact in choosing the one word that best explains my point. You will have to bear with me...I'm not a physics student. Hell, I'm NO kind of student.
Wonky, Do you have any pet peeves?

One of mine is when people use the word efficient the wrong way. Like I explained earlier pacific Power has taken advantage of the fact that people think something that is efficient is cheaper when they advertise.

This is why  I brought it up. Smiling
(11-03-2017, 02:24 PM)tvguy Wrote: Wonky, Do you have any pet peeves?

One of mine is when people use the word efficient the wrong way. Like I explained earlier pacific Power has taken advantage of the fact that people think something that is efficient is cheaper when they advertise.

Sure, I can understand that.
Nothing wrong with being exact. There are times when it's important. I guess this was one of those times. Didn't seem like it to me, but as we know so well, I'm just a county boy trying to make ends meet. 
But I have a gas water heater. All things being equal, if my neighbor has elect, it costs me less to heat water. 
Whatever the word is for that...that's the one I was looking for.
(11-03-2017, 02:30 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Nothing wrong with being exact. There are times when it's important. I guess this was one of those times. Didn't seem like it to me, but as we know so well, I'm just a county boy trying to make ends meet. 
But I have a gas water heater. All things being equal, if my neighbor has elect, it costs me less to heat water. 
I know what you meant and I didn't think what I said was all that important either Laughing
(11-03-2017, 02:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 02:30 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I know what you meant and I didn't think what I said was all that important either Laughing
We are too much alike.  Sad