The Hell With The Odds
I don't buy lottery tickets. 
A friend of mine once said a guy would be a fool to not buy one (someone has to win) but a fool to buy two (the ridiculous odds and all. 

Well, maybe...

N.C. lottery player doubles her luck

RALEIGH, N.C. — Kimberly Morris of Wake Forest,N.C. sure knows how to pick a winner. Morris scratched off a pair of North Carolina lottery tickets on Monday, winning $1 million on one of the tickets and $10,000 with the other. Morris thought things were going well when she bought a ticket at a grocery store Monday afternoon and scratched off the $10,000 prize. She went to the lottery headquarters in Raleigh to claim her prize. On the way home, she stopped and bought another ticket, and bingo! ... It was worth $1 million.
(11-03-2017, 10:46 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I don't buy lottery tickets. 
A friend of mine once said a guy would be a fool to not buy one (someone has to win) but a fool to buy two (the ridiculous odds and all. 

Well, maybe...

RALEIGH, N.C. — Kimberly Morris of Wake Forest,N.C. sure knows how to pick a winner. Morris scratched off a pair of North Carolina lottery tickets on Monday, winning $1 million on one of the tickets and $10,000 with the other. Morris thought things were going well when she bought a ticket at a grocery store Monday afternoon and scratched off the $10,000 prize. She went to the lottery headquarters in Raleigh to claim her prize. On the way home, she stopped and bought another ticket, and bingo! ... It was worth $1 million.

I don't buy them either.
(11-03-2017, 01:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 10:46 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: I don't buy lottery tickets. 

Well, maybe...

I don't buy them either.

What are they, a buck each?
So I save 52 dollars a year. In the last 30 years (I did buy they at one time) I've saved over 1500 bucks. 

I almost never buy coffee at drive in stands. I drink coffee mostly at home.  I've saved a lot of money. (Twice a week I do meet other old guys at at a coffee shop and spend TOO MUCH money for coffee. But, I'm there for the conversation) 

Since I'm older and have a few health problems I have a guy come once a week to do yard work. He almost always has a Good Bean cup when he arrives. HE can't afford it. And he smokes. He can't afford it. It's his life. 

But, I do go out to eat. It's a waste of money. I don't care, have the disposable income, and don't have to do dishes. (We don't have a dishwasher...don't want one..and I do them at least some of the time) 

I'm rambling. Everyone should spend their money as they see fit. But when folks who can't really afford it do this kind of thing and then piss and moan about not being able to "make ends meet", my "jaws get tight". 

So good for the woman who beat the odds. I just don't need that much I guess.
I bought one once. Didn't win a damn thing.   Confused
(11-03-2017, 02:03 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I bought one once. Didn't win a damn thing.   Confused

You could have joined a Class Action Suit and pissed off the Republicans.
We won like $700+/- (I can't recall that exact amount). And once we went in with 2 other couples and won $3600 ($1200 per couple). Last time we ended up winning a free ticket off of a $10 quick pick... and then the free ticket was a loser.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
A longggggggggggggg time ago... I'm guessing the mid 80s, I was a young punk with his own semi-truck. I bought some fuel in Corning, Cal. They would give a Calif lottery ticket for every 100 gallons of fuel. My scratch off was a winner for $1,000! For some reason, I didn't turn it right in and then I eventually lost it. But several months later I found it with some old paperwork and turned it in.

Turn back the clock a few years to when I was a Calif. resident. I paid my taxes on time every year, (to the state and the feds), and then one year Calif. never sent me my $50 refund. So, because I was gonna really show them, I quit filing in Calif. even thought I still lived there.

Turn the clock back up to when I wanted my $1K. Upon receipt of my ticket the state of Calif immediately checked my history to make sure that I didn't owe them anything. I didn't... but they had no way of knowing that because I hadn't filed in a few years. They seized all of my Calif. bank funds, (maybe $1,000 between 2 banks) and then audited me.

At the end of the fiasco I owed them, (due to their extravagant penalty process), more than they owed me. I settled up and that was that.

For the record, I did not buy THAT ticket... and I have NEVER bought one, from anywhere. I don't plan on it either.
Once in a very blue moon I will. But hardly ever. I NEVER win. I don't win things in general. Not contests, or sweepstakes or drawings or lotteries. Charlie Sheen would have a hey day with me.
(11-03-2017, 07:36 PM)Juniper Wrote: Once in a very blue moon I will. But hardly ever. I NEVER win.  I don't win things in general.  Not contests, or sweepstakes or drawings or lotteries.  Charlie Sheen would have a hey day with me.

Maybe a good time to quit buying chances on things?
(11-03-2017, 07:48 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 07:36 PM)Juniper Wrote: Once in a very blue moon I will. But hardly ever. I NEVER win.  I don't win things in general.  Not contests, or sweepstakes or drawings or lotteries.  Charlie Sheen would have a hey day with me.

I just said "once in a blue moon".  Is that not clear?  Let's make it clear....maybe once every 3 years or so, I'll spend a dollar or two on a scratch off or a quick pick.  Too much?
(11-03-2017, 07:50 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 07:48 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I just said "once in a blue moon".  Is that not clear?  Let's make it clear....maybe once every 3 years or so, I'll spend a dollar or two on a scratch off or a quick pick.  Too much?
Sorry.  Embarrassed  Didn't pay attention to the "once in a blue moon thing".
(11-03-2017, 02:03 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I bought one once. Didn't win a damn thing.   Confused

I bought one years ago, I check the numbers twice a a week.
Still haven't won yet.

I don't win things in general

I kind of do Razz The only time I ever went to Reno I won 44 hundred bucks. I've never gone back to Reno or Las Vegas.
I remember my friends bitching about how lucky I was more than whatever I actually won.
Once I bought a raffle ticket for a guitar. I asked when was the drawing and they said late that day.
I said I won't be here so give me a call Monday and I'll come and pick it up, with a wink.
The phone rang Monday and I told my wife.. they have my guitar. I was right LOL
(11-04-2017, 12:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I kind of do Razz The only time I ever went to Reno I won 44 hundred bucks. I've never gone back to Reno or Las Vegas.
I remember my friends bitching about how lucky I was more than whatever I actually won.
Once I bought a raffle ticket for a guitar. I asked when was the drawing and they said late that day.
I said I won't be here so give me a call Monday and I'll come and pick it up, with a wink.

I absolutely believe some people win and some people don't.  Just do.
(11-04-2017, 03:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I do too. But IMO it's just the way the cookie crumbles and there's nothing mysterious about it.
(11-04-2017, 03:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-04-2017, 03:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I do too. But IMO it's just the way the cookie crumbles and there's nothing mysterious about it.

Yeah. Me too.  I'd just like to be on the flip side of the mystery, you know?