Climate: One step at a time
We will be dependent on fossil fuels for a variety of needs for a long time. Thanks the gods and Big Oil for keeping our homes warm, our cars moving down the road, and all the other things they do for us. 

But change is possible. It's coming, albeit slowly. 

A snippet from an article in todays (11/9) Mail Tribune:

One proposed solar farm may have run into a land-use roadblock locally, but a second north of Medford will be able to turn on the lights for up to 2,000 homes at the end of December.
The 37,000 sun-tracking panels are being positioned on 44 acres of a 68-acre property at 5842 McLoughlin Drive, along with inverters, power poles and driveways. The facility will produce 9.9 megawatts of electricity.
“The power that we are producing is then put into the grid, and the local utility disperses the power to homes and businesses,” said Jeff McKay, spokesman for Cypress Energy Renewables of Santa Monica, California. The company began construction on the site in early November.
The solar farm is clearly visible from Foothill Road, north of Vilas Road, presenting a silver sheen over the area where the panels and their footings are being installed.
According to Cypress Creek, the clean energy from the panels would cut out 23,500 tons of carbon annually, which would be equivalent to planting 350,000 trees or taking 1,400 cars off the road.
I hope it doesn't suck all the light out of the sun and leave us in the dark.
Europe has been on this road for quite some time. California too.
California is working on high speed rail too, LA to SF.
The nation is woefully behind the rest of the world.
(11-09-2017, 01:43 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Europe has been on this road for quite some time. California too.

I'd like to see a high speed rail from Sunny Valley to the coast.
(11-09-2017, 01:47 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 01:43 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: Europe has been on this road for quite some time. California too.

I'd like to see a high speed rail from Sunny Valley to the coast.

I'd take any high speed rail.

That's because they had more incentive to produce alternate energy because their electricity costs so much more than ours.
If out power bill was as high and the Germans we would also be doing more.