A very Personal Note
We know now, because he revealed it, that TVguy is a cancer surviver. (Not all THAT long ago). I remember photo's showing his body weight a fraction of normal. During his ordeal, as nearly as I recall, he never once posted about the fear he must have felt, the pain he endured, or his staring into the teeth of his mortality. He just kept on being TVguy. 

I mention this because I want to post something personal, not for the attenton or the sympathy it could bring, but because like TVguy's experience it brings a sober and reflective attitude that is part of life we might too often ignore as we argue our minor differences here. And TVguy is a better man than I. 

My 56 year old son has been diagnosed with bladder cancer. Not the good kind. He will enter the Stanford CA cancer unit on Dec 18 to have his bladder removed and whatever ever other tissue is required. The prognosis won't be known until they are "in" and discover the full extent of the cell damage. He is strong, steady, with head up and using his intellect to gain as much knowledge as possible and then is prepared to accept the outcome with courage.  He is stronger than I. No parent wants to outlive a child. An atheist, I would make a deal with God in a heartbeat to save my son from this.

I reveal this very personal thing because it has to at least some degree effected the tone of some of my more recent posts and responses here. My DNA includes the Jerk Gene to begin with (well known here) and this has only added to that. 

I ask for no quarter. I don't want expressions of sympathy or any slack about what I post or how I post it.

I did this because the reality of this thing that breaks my spirt makes me understand the importance of "community" and having those one can reach out to for interaction, any interaction, to deflect even for a moment the truth of how fragile life can be. This is not a perfect place, our little forum. But over the years it's become a kind of "home" that I come back to time after time. As I continue to post here, remember that I was flawed before learning of my son's illness, but that I felt the need to share it with this group I've been a part of for a long, long time. 

Now it's done. I'll return to my imperfect self and it will be because of that "Jerk Gene" and not the life event I deal with.
(11-17-2017, 08:07 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: We know now, because he revealed it, that TVguy is a cancer surviver. (Not all THAT long ago). I remember photo's showing his body weight a fraction of normal. During his ordeal, as nearly as I recall, he never once posted about the fear he must have felt, the pain he endured, or his staring into the teeth of his mortality. He just kept on being TVguy. 

I mention this because I want to post something personal, not for the attenton or the sympathy it could bring, but because like TVguy's experience it brings a sober and reflective attitude that is part of life we might too often ignore as we argue our minor differences here. And TVguy is a better man than I. 

My 56 year old son has been diagnosed with bladder cancer. Not the good kind. He will enter the Stanford CA cancer unit on Dec 18 to have his bladder removed and whatever ever other tissue is required. The prognosis won't be known until they are "in" and discover the full extent of the cell damage. He is strong, steady, with head up and using his intellect to gain as much knowledge as possible and then is prepared to accept the outcome with courage.  He is stronger than I. No parent wants to outlive a child. An atheist, I would make a deal with God in a heartbeat to save my son from this.

I reveal this very personal thing because it has to at least some degree effected the tone of some of my more recent posts and responses here. My DNA includes the Jerk Gene to begin with (well known here) and this has only added to that. 

I ask for no quarter. I don't want expressions of sympathy or any slack about what I post or how I post it.

I did this because the reality of this thing that breaks my spirt makes me understand the importance of "community" and having those one can reach out to for interaction, any interaction, to deflect even for a moment the truth of how fragile life can be. This is not a perfect place, our little forum. But over the years it's become a kind of "home" that I come back to time after time. As I continue to post here, remember that I was flawed before learning of my son's illness, but that I felt the need to share it with this group I've been a part of for a long, long time. 

Now it's done. I'll return to my imperfect self and it will be because of that "Jerk Gene" and not the life event I deal with.
All I can say is I hope his treatment goes well. Smiling Well that and I believe that cancer treatment are getting better and better.
(11-17-2017, 08:22 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 08:07 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: We know now, because he revealed it, that TVguy is a cancer surviver. (Not all THAT long ago). I remember photo's showing his body weight a fraction of normal. During his ordeal, as nearly as I recall, he never once posted about the fear he must have felt, the pain he endured, or his staring into the teeth of his mortality. He just kept on being TVguy. 

All I can say is I hope his treatment goes well. Smiling Well that and I believe that cancer treatment are getting better and better.
Ditto that!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
What TV said. I think treatments have and are becoming more successful all the time. I hope his outcome is positive and your concern is relieved.
I too hope for the very best outcome possible for your son. I know as loving parents, you will muster the strength necessary to help him through this.
(11-17-2017, 09:26 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I too hope for the very best outcome possible for your son. I know as loving parents, you will muster the strength necessary to help him through this.

Thanks, All, so very much.

We needn't talk about it again. 

I value this place.
You need to talk about it all you want. Silence is the enemy. I'm somewhat familiar with your son's travails.
Urologists these days are quite good. They've kept me alive for the last 5 years. His life will change but look on as the beginning of a new chapter in life, not the end.
Take care and as I said, feel free to express your hopes and fears.
(11-18-2017, 08:57 AM)bbqboy Wrote: You need to talk about it all you want. Silence is the enemy. I'm somewhat familiar with your son's travails.
Urologists these days are quite good. They've kept me alive for the last 5 years. His life will change but look on as the beginning of a new chapter in life, not the end.
Take care and as I said, feel free to express your hopes and fears.

Good words. Thanks.
I think BBQ is right. Also, it is community. That's why people sometimes open up a little here because even if everyone on this page aren't "friends", We've all 'known' each other for quite a while, which makes us extended family in a remote sort of way. I still know you all when so many others have moved out of my life now. So, that being said, I hope things go well for your son.
(11-18-2017, 10:39 AM)Juniper Wrote: I think BBQ is right.  Also, it is community.  That's why people sometimes open up a little here because even if everyone on this page aren't "friends", We've all 'known' each other for quite a while, which makes us extended family in a remote sort of way.  I still know you all when so many others have moved out of my life now. So, that being said, I hope things go well for your son.

Thanks Tia. I agree with all you said about "our community".
Not much for me to add here. I wish all the best for your son and family during this challenging time.
(11-18-2017, 06:12 PM)GPnative Wrote: Not much for me to add here. I wish all the best for your son and family during this challenging time.

Appreciate the words.